What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are you/will you want to be called when you become a grandparent? (1 Viewer)

I am/will want to be called...

• Grandpa

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • Granddad

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Pop Pop

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Grand daddy

• Paw Paw

• Grand Pappy

• Grand Pop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grandfather

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 16 26.7%

• Total voters

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
I'm about to be a grandfather in a couple weeks and haven't figured out what I'd like to be called.  I don't want to go with the standard "Grandpa" which is what I called my grandfathers.  I'm gravitating towards Grandpappy which I imagine will eventually morph into Pappy.  

I'm about to be a grandfather in a couple weeks and haven't figured out what I'd like to be called.  I don't want to go with the standard "Grandpa" which is what I called my grandfathers.  I'm gravitating towards Grandpappy which I imagine will eventually morph into Pappy.  
I'm grandpa.

You don't have much a say in it quite often.   It's what they call you.

I'm grandpa.

You don't have much a say in it quite often.   It's what they call you.
Meh. I’m not quite grandpa age yet, but I think it’s usually the parents of the kid that kind of name you. So in saying that, you could kind of tell them your preference.

Depends on their age also.

My 4 yr old G-daughter calls me grand pa.
My 20 month old G-Daugther tries to say grand pa, but it comes out like paww pa.

Meh. I’m not quite grandpa age yet, but I think it’s usually the parents of the kid that kind of name you. So in saying that, you could kind of tell them your preference.
My dad is Pop Pop to my kids because that's what he wanted to be called.  I call my grandparents Grandma and Grandpa because that's what my parents called their grandparents.  I don't know if my grandparents or parents called that shot.  

I called my grandfather “Pop” so that would be cool but Ill be happy with whatever they call me. I just want to live enough to see it all. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one set of grandparents who didn't really care what we called them, so we just naturally called them "Grandma" and "Grandpa".

I had another set of grandparents who insisted on being called "Grammy" and "Grampy". When my brother and I were younger, we wanted to spend more time with "Grammy" and "Grampy" -- because they were the grandparents who always gave us toys and candy. But as we got older, it became more and more awkward to use the names "Grammy" and "Grampy". It was as if their names implied that we were still toddlers.

And so we gradually drifted towards spending more time with our other grandparents ("Grandma" and "Grandpa").

Just throwing that out there...

My grandson will be turn 1 in May. I'm going with Grandpa now, that's what i called both of mine. They were awesome grandpas...my role models/heroes.

But as said earlier he may choose something else to call me and that will be fine I'm sure. When my daughter was little we told her my dad was grandpa, as she learned to talk she would point at him and say "Pa". He was Pa to all his grand kids for the rest of his life.

I called my grandparents (only really knew 1 set, maternal) Granny and Granddad - that's what my now 4.5 y/o calls my parents...that's probably what I'll want to be called.  Granddad.

With that said, my in-laws decided on Grandfather (very formal!) and MoMa (WTF?).  Re. the MoMa - My MIL says she liked the sound of MoMa for Museum of Modern Art, and that she wanted to be called that.  Based on how she argued that my son's 2nd word was "MoMa" and not "Mama," I think she just wanted to feel important.   :rolleyes:

Depends on age imo.

My in laws were not much older than I am now when they became grandparents. If we're not 50 yet I won't be ready to be Grandpa either. They're Nonna and Poppa. I'd be fine with that. 

First grandkids will get to set the name and it will be whatever they morph the thing you want to be called into.  I forget what my parents wanted but it morphed into Dappy and Nammy.   Been 18 years and that is what they still go by. 

First grandkids will get to set the name and it will be whatever they morph the thing you want to be called into.  I forget what my parents wanted but it morphed into Dappy and Nammy.   Been 18 years and that is what they still go by. 
yeah, it's weird that way.  My grandparents were named by the first grandkid - FeFe and Pa Charlie.  My grandma's name was Ida ...how my cousin came up with FeFe - we don't know and neither does she.  

Whatever they want to call me.  When my sister had kids, they insisted they referred to her FIL as Papa, and my dad as Grandpa.  It had something to do with her husbands family had a tradition of calling their grandparents papa, and wanted to keep it special for that side of the family.  I found that insulting.  Particularly when her kids called me dad papa, and she corrected them.  If they want to call a familiy member by a nickname, by all means you should roll with it.  I'm good with anything.

Whatever they want to call me.  When my sister had kids, they insisted they referred to her FIL as Papa, and my dad as Grandpa.  It had something to do with her husbands family had a tradition of calling their grandparents papa, and wanted to keep it special for that side of the family.  I found that insulting.  Particularly when her kids called me dad papa, and she corrected them.  If they want to call a familiy member by a nickname, by all means you should roll with it.  I'm good with anything.
Similar boat.  I actually had this conversation with my own mother when my first child was born.  I had always called my grandma by a nickname, and she asked if we were going to have our child call her (my mother) by the same nickname.  I told her that it's up to what the kids call her, and that I wasn't going to force a nickname on to the kids.  To me, that was what I did and it stuck.  I don't see why I need to push my kids to call someone one thing or another.  My wife's family doesn't do that, and there aren't any issues.  However, I think there's still some level of resentment from my parents when I took this stance.  Kind of like they felt disrespected.

Similar boat.  I actually had this conversation with my own mother when my first child was born.  I had always called my grandma by a nickname, and she asked if we were going to have our child call her (my mother) by the same nickname.  I told her that it's up to what the kids call her, and that I wasn't going to force a nickname on to the kids.  To me, that was what I did and it stuck.  I don't see why I need to push my kids to call someone one thing or another.  My wife's family doesn't do that, and there aren't any issues.  However, I think there's still some level of resentment from my parents when I took this stance.  Kind of like they felt disrespected.
I look at grandparents that insist on being called a certain nickname the same way I look at athletes that give themselves a nickname (or change their jersey number so they can have a catchy nickname, I'm looking at you Paul George); get over yourself.

Isn't that what names are?  Everyone is basically "pushed" to use the name given to them.  However, babies sometimes can't say the name they are told and it morphs to something and then it sticks.  You can't really force it.  Names are just that names.  When kids cannot pronounce the name is when other names are adopted. 

Isn't that what names are?  Everyone is basically "pushed" to use the name given to them.  However, babies sometimes can't say the name they are told and it morphs to something and then it sticks.  You can't really force it.  Names are just that names.  When kids cannot pronounce the name is when other names are adopted. 
Is kind of like what Jim Rome has said; you don't get to nickname yourself, others do it for you.

That said, I'd prefer grandpa, but as long as it isn't "you sonofabirch" I'll be good.

Is kind of like what Jim Rome has said; you don't get to nickname yourself, others do it for you.

That said, I'd prefer grandpa, but as long as it isn't "you sonofabirch" I'll be good.
I high-fived and chatted with Rome on Saturday night.  I was not sober.  Good times.

My daughter is the first grandkid to my dad, and I figured we'd have to teach our daughter his name just like we do with every other person so I asked him what he wanted to go by.  He chose Grandpa.  Daughter got a bit carried away with the syllables and started calling him Gram-pam-paw at first, then it morphed into Gram-papa and now it's become Papa.  Dad just rolled with it.  What's funny though is now there's another grandkid (my step-sister's) who calls him Grandpa.  He answers to both interchangeably when we're all together. 

On my wife's side, her dad is Papaw.  Already had a grandkid there that called him that so our daughter continued it. 

:yes:

I look at grandparents that insist on being called a certain nickname the same way I look at athletes that give themselves a nickname (or change their jersey number so they can have a catchy nickname, I'm looking at you Paul George); get over yourself.
Yep

My son was the first on my side too, he started calling my parents feeba and peepa.  My sister's kid was just a few months later and started calling them nonni and Pa. Just happens that she sees them more often, so they sort of morphed into that, but mine kept calling them the original name. Then they told us they wanted to be called Grandma and Grandpa.  

I get it, but we still address cards feeba and peepa.  We don't see them very often. 

Absolutely. WTH mang!?!?

People are so weird. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Went other as we Jews normally call a grandfather "Zayda" or "Zeyde" which would be cool. Not sure if my wife who is not Jewish wants to be called Bubbie.

But in the end, will be happy with whatever they call me, as long as they call me. With teen-aged sons, given the amount of times they are thrilled to talked to me these days (read: never), I'll settle with being contacted and not forgotten.

I have two grandsons under 3 and they call me Papa.  I'm the only grandfather in their lives, my son in law's father passed away many years ago.  

Papa or Papa J.  

Users who are viewing this thread