What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are your top deliverables by a democratic led government? (1 Viewer)

supermike80

Footballguy
I'm curious what the board democrats want from the party that they feel republicans cannot deliver on.  

Climate Change?

Immigration Changes?

The economy?

LGBTQ progress?

Is it in many ways just a "get Trump out"(Which I understand)  or do you actually have political goals you want from the democrats that republicans cannot give you

I'd like to see education completely overhauled and properly funded.  

Return of the Union/collective bargaining power of the citizens.

The best universal healthcare system in the world.  

An end to the 18 year war we find ourselves in.  

Not a democrat, but this is what I want from our government:

1.  Functioning adults.

2.  I want our corporations relieved of the duty of providing healthcare.  It's an incredible burden on them and their employees.

3.  Education system revamped with the aim of helping the citizens of this country compete in this global workforce market.  We are woefully unprepared as individuals in this area.

4.  National responsibility for the mark we are leaving on the world's climate.

5.  Stronger, more secure borders.  Our ports of entry need major overhauls, the immigration courts need a significant increase in personnel and our processes need to become more cost effective by utilizing new technologies available to us.

6.  Department of Defense to be held accountable for their budget.  There's a lot here, but an audit and investigation should occur to figure out where things went wrong and measures put in place to keep those things from happening again.

If I can only have one, I'd choose #1.  Got to crawl before we start walking before we start running.

Enforcement of rule of law, defense of democratic norms, strengthening of alliances abroad, adhering to standards of truth, competence in government, filling of confirmed positions, intelligent leadership, decency in behavior in office, independence in administration, coherent policy making, so basically restoration of American values.

At the most basic level, I'm non-ideological. I want peace and prosperity. It's when we start getting into solutions for getting those things that ideology starts to come into play. I don't think we can have true long-term prosperity if we don't provide health security and address income inequality. I don't think we can have long-term peace if we don't deal with climate change.

Finally, if the question is what do I want Democrats to provide that Republicans can't, I would say that the GOP has become an ideological cult incapable of dealing rationally with the long-term challenges this country faces, and what I want more than anything from Dems is a basic level of empiricism and flexibility.

Last thing: I know better at this point to presume what you were saying, so I'll just say I've seen a perception among some people that Dems are spending all their time talking about Trump. But if you actually listen to the speeches the 2020 candidates are giving, they're spending a lot more time talking about the policies they'll implement than they are about the current president. I don't agree with all of the proposals I've heard, but I'm confident that by the time we finally have a nominee, that person will have a positive agenda that they're running to implement, and their message won't just be "I'm not Trump."

In addition to what has been written, I'd like to see more progressive taxation and more consideration in trying to narrow wealth and income distribution gaps.

We have that.  Both of those at levels that are unprecedented in human history.
Not so sure about the unprecedented part. We've been in a relatively positive business cycle since the late Obama Administration, and to his credit, Trump hasn't gotten us into any wars yet. But as I said, I'm interested in the long-term, and on that front I find the things this administration is doing to be very worrisome.

Last thing: I know better at this point to presume what you were saying, so I'll just say I've seen a perception among some people that Dems are spending all their time talking about Trump. But if you actually listen to the speeches the 2020 candidates are giving, they're spending a lot more time talking about the policies they'll implement than they are about the current president. I don't agree with all of the proposals I've heard, but I'm confident that by the time we finally have a nominee, that person will have a positive agenda that they're running to implement, and their message won't just be "I'm not Trump."
Made this point in another thread.  If you're a Trump supporter, you should be encouraging Dems to talk about Trump.  That means they aren't talking about policy.  I also warned that if they meant the media when they said "Dems" they are doing it wrong because as you outline here, the candidates are talking more about their visions than Trump, which is a step in the right direction to getting "functional adults" into office.

Sure if you don't count all the countries we're  bombing or rattling our swords at. As for prosperity you need to get out more. 50% of this country couldn't meet a 500.00 emergency need.

I want Donald Trump made to do the walk of shame so I can pelt him with rotten produce

After that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pass federal laws to prevent voter supression by states.

Figure out how to reduce partisan gerrymandering.

Codify important traditional norms into law because politicians can no longer be trusted to follow mere norms.

Restore relationships with foreign allies.

Taco trucks on every corner.

Pass federal laws to prevent voter supression by states.

Figure out how to reduce partisan gerrymandering.
Yes! I think democracy reform should be one of the top priorities (as it was in this Congress, with HR1), because without it everything else becomes much more difficult. In a number of different ways, our democracy is becoming increasingly unrepresentative. Yes, I get that the Constitution was designed to check certain majoritarian impulses, but there is a real danger if the pendulum swings too far in that direction.

Healthcare, education, election reform (will always be THE most important issue until it occurs, because it determines what happens with all the others) - but i dont expect any of them to be done right, so.....

It horrifies me that i've yet to hear, even from the Bootyjudge (the ONLY reason i'm discussing politics again), a word about combatting costs in health care during this shaking-out phase of the election cycle. It horrifies me equally that we aren't as concerned about taking education out of the hands of the teachers' unions just as much as we are the for-profit charter companies. And it horrifies me that money is speech. We simply won't be a recognizable America in 50 yrs if those matters aren't treated.

1. corruption

2. dark money

3. reverse all the environmental damage Trump did i.e. make air pollution bad for you again

4. guns - at least make it a little harder

5. health care

I'm not a Democrat but I'll give a list:

• Income inequality
  • BIG
  • Healthcare/Prescription Drug costs
  • Climate change/Environment
  • Education - improvement for K-12 and reducing cost/paid college
  • My pipe dream answer - stop all the constant wars and reduce by a good amount our Defense spending - let's become nicer neighbors and not global cops

If we have unprecedented peace then can we cut back just a smidge on the defense budget?

On the prosperity front - I'd just like a little more sharing of the wealth.  I see the gap between the have's and have not's growing, especially as we automate more and more.  There's still be a lot of us in the middle "prospering" like never before but we'll see the bottom get worse, IMO.

I was taking a non-ideological long term view of this.  Looking at deaths from war and historical homicides I'd say we're in a pretty good spot.
Ah, my apologies. I jumped to the conclusion that you were echoing Trumpian bombast about unprecedented peace and prosperity. Bad zftcg!  :doh:

Anyway, if we're talking long-term, I'm mostly with you on peace. The historical trend has been that the scale of conflict has gradually declined over time. I think there will always be some level of conflict, and what I mostly want is leadership that will help us successfully navigate us through them without making them worse, and also who will have the long-term foresight to address issues that could cause us big headaches down the road. (To cite one example, think of how much the Syrian refugee crisis has done to destabilize governments around the world in ways both big and small; one could even argue that it contributed indirectly to Trump's election. According to some estimates, climate change could end up producing refugee crises that are orders of magnitude larger than what we've seen over the past few years. That's going to lead to lots of lots of wars and other problems.)

As for prosperity, I'm much less bullish. Globalization is doing a real number on our economy, and I don't think either party has done a good job of being forward-looking and adapting us to the new reality.

Not a democrat but here goes...

End the perpetual wars.

Get corporate money out of our politics.  Publicly funded campaigns only.

Health care for all. I know there are many options but it's inexcusable that ALL Americans do not have their health needs met in our country.

Ah, my apologies. I jumped to the conclusion that you were echoing Trumpian bombast about unprecedented peace and prosperity. Bad zftcg!  :doh:

Anyway, if we're talking long-term, I'm mostly with you on peace. The historical trend has been that the scale of conflict has gradually declined over time. I think there will always be some level of conflict, and what I mostly want is leadership that will help us successfully navigate us through them without making them worse, and also who will have the long-term foresight to address issues that could cause us big headaches down the road. (To cite one example, think of how much the Syrian refugee crisis has done to destabilize governments around the world in ways both big and small; one could even argue that it contributed indirectly to Trump's election. According to some estimates, climate change could end up producing refugee crises that are orders of magnitude larger than what we've seen over the past few years. That's going to lead to lots of lots of wars and other problems.)

As for prosperity, I'm much less bullish. Globalization is doing a real number on our economy, and I don't think either party has done a good job of being forward-looking and adapting us to the new reality.
It actually jumps up and down quite a bit.  If anything, I would consider it cyclical. We are in a historical lull. But the overall trend is definitely not downward.  

It actually jumps up and down quite a bit.  If anything, I would consider it cyclical. We are in a historical lull. But the overall trend is definitely not downward.  
Is that true? I thought I had read somewhere that conflicts had grown smaller but more deadly since WWII, but I have no idea if there's hard data one way or another.

Financial and environmental protections and regulations in place against corporations so they stop ####### us over.

Is that true? I thought I had read somewhere that conflicts had grown smaller but more deadly since WWII, but I have no idea if there's hard data one way or another.
The trend has definitely been downward since WWII.  I’m talking about the last 500+ years.

Economy 

A new national retirement plan people either don’t ’ Want to save or don’t know how to save social security needs a overhaul 

New national education plan, a college degree should not cost as much as a starter home

more tax credits for going green, electric cars and solar panels

A National food safety plan, GMO seeds, roundup and livestock implants are not good for our health

The trend has definitely been downward since WWII.  I’m talking about the last 500+ years.
Reminds me of the story of Kissinger asking Zhou En-Lai his opinion of the French Revolution, and Zhou saying, "It's too soon to tell."

I'm not going to Google for Steven Pinker's graphs while I'm on my phone, but I think the trend is down over the last 500 years (and 1,000 years, and 5,000 years...).

Well, yeah, I think it's obvious that the total number of deaths in wars has increased as populations have increased.

I think the more relevant measure is the percentage of the population that's died in such conflicts. That number has been trending downward for thousands of years.
That first graph is based on percentage of population.  The moving average may be slightly downward (I can’t really tell), but I have a hard time seeing that as something other than a cyclical phenomenon.

Those are deaths in conflicts though.  Overall violence might look different.

#1 for me by a mile is voting reform. We should be making it easier for people to vote, not harder.  We should be making our government a more accurate reflection of the will of the people, not protecting the disproportionate influence of certain demographics.

Do that and everything else falls into place.

The blue team has controlled education for the last 50 years, at least.  What you have is a Democratically built feature, not a bug.
Yes and no. About 90% of funding for education is at the state and local level. Ask teachers and students in Kansas, Missisippi, Louisiana and West Virginia how low taxes are benefiting them.

The federal government should help more in early education, like pre-k 3, where there's more bang for buck, STEM  and foreign languages, to help with foreign business. My friend who does food business in Brazil says the locals have a better opinion of German technology because the Germans and other Europeans are used to traveling outside their countries for business, and most are multi-lingual.

Economy 

A new national retirement plan people either don’t ’ Want to save or don’t know how to save social security needs a overhaul 

New national education plan, a college degree should not cost as much as a starter home

more tax credits for going green, electric cars and solar panels

A National food safety plan, GMO seeds, roundup and livestock implants are not good for our health

I think this is a really interesting issue. Nobody has pensions anymore. And I reckon its a pretty small percentage of the population that has saved on their own for retirement. And people are living longer.

So what's going to happen in 20 years?

Yes and no. About 90% of funding for education is at the state and local level. Ask teachers and students in Kansas, Missisippi, Louisiana and West Virginia how low taxes are benefiting them.

The federal government should help more in early education, like pre-k 3, where there's more bang for buck, STEM  and foreign languages, to help with foreign business. My friend who does food business in Brazil says the locals have a better opinion of German technology because the Germans and other Europeans are used to traveling outside their countries for business, and most are multi-lingual.

This is also a major factor in why university education has exploded in cost. States have drastically cut funding to the public universities.

I think this is a really interesting issue. Nobody has pensions anymore. And I reckon its a pretty small percentage of the population that has saved on their own for retirement. And people are living longer.

So what's going to happen in 20 years?
People work longer.

Decency

Respect (Hey! no more  cyber bullying from the commander in chief)

Honesty ( Well as honest as politicians used to be before this pathological liar took office)

Healthcare (no More lawsuits trying to take away insurance for preexisting conditions)

Immigration reform( reform with a heart although some Republicans used to support this)

Climate change legislation ( hopefully a common sense approach like Kloubachar)

A stable cabinet and administration

Foreign policies that are respected and the ability to  recognize who our friends are and who our enemies are

Sincerely yours,

A Former Republican driven to an Independent 

Not a democrat, but this is what I want from our government:

1.  Functioning adults.

2.  I want our corporations relieved of the duty of providing healthcare.  It's an incredible burden on them and their employees.

3.  Education system revamped with the aim of helping the citizens of this country compete in this global workforce market.  We are woefully unprepared as individuals in this area.

4.  National responsibility for the mark we are leaving on the world's climate.

5.  Stronger, more secure borders.  Our ports of entry need major overhauls, the immigration courts need a significant increase in personnel and our processes need to become more cost effective by utilizing new technologies available to us.

6.  Department of Defense to be held accountable for their budget.  There's a lot here, but an audit and investigation should occur to figure out where things went wrong and measures put in place to keep those things from happening again.

If I can only have one, I'd choose #1.  Got to crawl before we start walking before we start running.
Top to bottom this sums up how I feel perfectly.  👍

If it were a wish list I’d add...

-Getting money out of politics (corporate/lobbyists/ etc)

-Term limits on Congress.  

Users who are viewing this thread