What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What did you learn from Week 15? (1 Viewer)

Lavachebeadsman

Footballguy
Click if you'd like, my link.

-The Denver Bronco's offense is an unstoppable machine. The Raven's defense is certainly abysmal at best, but that underscores a larger trend. The Peyton Manning led offense can hurt you in anyway. Demaryius Thomas is a top 10 skilled wide receiver in the NFL who demands a safety cover at all levels and as a result, opens up the field for all the other receivers. Knowshon Moreno, previous first round bust, has totally reinvigorated his career. He has kept his legs churning at first contact and ran exactly what has been blocked. Eric Decker, a receiver whose inability to create separation has hindered his productive over the last month and a half is a technician route-runner and as surehanded as they come. Joel Dressen and Jacob Tamme are effective tight end duo and the offensive line keeps Manning protected. As long as Manning is calling the plays and putting his guys in positions to succeed, there will not be a defense that can stop them.

-Not that this something we really learned today, but Adrian Peterson is not human. Less than a year removed from entirely shredding his knee, AP is going to threaten Eric Dickerson's rushing record. He is doing this dragging around a draft pick bust quarterback in Christian Ponder who simply has lost all dynamism. He is doing this with a wide receiver core whose superstar is...no one. Without Percy Harvin, this offense has one playmaker. Kyle Rudolph is a decent red zone weapon, but Antonio Gates or Rob Gronkowski, he is not. The mantle of best running back in the NFL is clearly Peterson's to lose.

-Matt Stafford had the cheapest 5,000 yard season in the NFL. The weapons around him are awful, but the same was true last year. It isn't like Brandon Pettigrew or Nate Burleson were world-beaters last year. His terrible footwork and even worse throwing mechanics caught up to him. Against a team that lost 58-0 to a rookie quarterback last year, Stafford looked overmatched and confused. This isn't to say that Stafford isn't talented, but he is not right now a quarterback who can make castoffs like Kris Durham legit NFL players in the way that Tom Brady or Drew Brees, the other 5,000 yard passers, can.

-The New York Giants are the most inconsistent team in the NFL. There is not another team in the league that is so maddeningly inconsistent. Every year, we see the exact same pattern of hot and cold. Weather this is an extension of Coughlin or Eli isn't clear, but it has to be embarrassing for the defending Superbowl champions to lose like this to a team they stomped in the playoffs last year. The problems of the Giants secondary are going to plague them in playoffs, weather they have to face Matt Ryan again or the updated aerial attack of Colin Kaepernick and the 49er's. Furthermore, Tom Coughlin deserves everything he gets for giving Kraig Lumpkin touches in a game that isn't put away. What do coaches like Coughlin stand to gain from not giving rookies an opportunity to succeed? That logic will always be beyond me.

-The Saints REALLY hate Roger Goodell and that defense has transformed itself into a least respectable. In a game that everyone assumed would be a shootout, Josh Freeman turned the ball over 5 times and looked the exact opposite of ready for primetime. It's also safe to say that the last two weeks for Drew Brees were just 2 down games. When quarterbacks start to get older, we always have to look for those almost imperceptible changes that change them from absolutely elite to merely great. After his 5 interception performance against the Falcons, many started wondering if that was happening to Brees but he answered his critics today with 307 yards and 4 touchdowns. On a positive note for next year, if the Saints decide to let Chris Ivory go as a restricted free agent, Mark Ingram had a very nice day against the number 1 rushing defense in the NFL to a tune of 14 carries for 90 yards and touchdown.

-Cam Cameron's firing didn't do anything for Joe Flacco. The Ravens need to come to terms with the fact that he just isn't good enough. Is Flacco merely 'good'? Yes. He absolutely is. Would I rather have Russel Wilson over him? Yes. Yes I would. They are in a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation with Flacco at the end of the year. They clearly aren't going to win the Superbowl this year, and then Flacco comes off the books this offseason. They will have to determine if they want to move forward with him as their franchise. Organizations who commit franchise money to non-franchise quarterbacks have no chance of competing. Look at Kansas City. They are in a situation where a significant portion of their cap is stuck with a player who no longer takes snaps. With the steady deterioration and aging of their formerly elite defense, the Ravens aren't a cross roads organization wide. If they decide to extend Flacco, that means they think they can contend for a championship within the next 3 years. If they don't resign him, it would most likely signal a quick rebuilding phase.

-Speaking of Kansas City, that team should just forfeit it's last two games. To get shut out against the Raiders is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to this team this year. They were unable to get a first down against a team that has been the softest defense in the league should be enough to get Romeo Crennel fired. The team is bereft of talent at almost every single position. The fact that Jon Baldwin, a first round pick, couldn't even get off the line should be personally embarrassing to Scott Pioli. If those two men have jobs next year, the league needs to do the humane thing and force the Chiefs to fold.

What did you guys learn from week 15?

The Chiefs are officially the worst team in the NFL.
You're absolutely correct.They'll also make the playoffs again before the Buffalo Bills.Just like every year's "worst team in the NFL".Frankly, I'd rather be the worst team for a year or two instead of PERMANENTLY MEDIOCRE.A fitting title for a team that was embarrassed today in the hometown of the Toronto Maple Leafs (another permanently mediocre team).

I can't remember seeing a weirder fantasy football playoffs than this, the only one that comes close to recent memory was 2007 when the Patriots stunk it up for one game.

Not that I learned it this week but, the NFC is far better than the AFC. It would be tragic if an AFC team won the SB.

The Chiefs are officially the worst team in the NFL.
You're absolutely correct.They'll also make the playoffs again before the Buffalo Bills.

Just like every year's "worst team in the NFL".

Frankly, I'd rather be the worst team for a year or two instead of PERMANENTLY MEDIOCRE.

A fitting title for a team that was embarrassed today in the hometown of the Toronto Maple Leafs (another permanently mediocre team).
As a diehard Leafs fan, I think you are overestimating them with the tag "mediocre."At this rate, the Bills and the Chiefs are both likely to win Lombardi hardware before the Leafs bring home another Cup.

Once you get to the playoffs, FF is nuttin' but L U C K.
FTFY. But this is nothing newly learned.I was burned this week listening to all the prognosticators when I would have been better off starting the same team I started two weeks ago. Shame on me but it reinforces that there are no "experts" in FF. In a given week, FF advice, columns & rankings are no more predictive than flipping a coin. You draft players, hope they stay healthy and are productive. For those who are either injured or unproductive, you ride the waiver wire hoping to catch a hot player that will stay hot for a few weeks, hopefully the remainder of the season. When it's said & done, it all comes down to luck.

Mark Ingram is a much much much better runner now than 2011. He just seems comfortable and fluid out there right now. And has the last several weeks.

Given the low price, he'd have been (and would be) my #1 dynasty buy.

Mark Ingram is a much much much better runner now than 2011. He just seems comfortable and fluid out there right now. And has the last several weeks.Given the low price, he'd have been (and would be) my #1 dynasty buy.
Gotta agree here. He is finally becoming what we thought he was going to be.

Non-FF wise...parody is alive and well.

One week NE beats the crap out of Houston...the next week they get owned for a half against SF...make a comeback but blow it in the end.

One week Atlanta is getting beat by Carolina...the next they kick the crap out of the Giants.

One week the Giants are killing the Packers or someone else...soon after they get blanked by Atlanta.

Seattle might be playing the best right now...though, it was AZ and Buffalo...they do have a nice resume of wins though.

If SF stumbles enough and Seattle really needs to sneak up in the division because I would not trust them on the road to go all the way.

For FF purposes, I will echo the "luck/variability" sentiment. Here's what went down in my 4 leagues (I'm not the 1 seed in each, just wanted to show how they fared)

League 1: 12 team league, #1 seed goes 11-2, week 14 bye, week 15 LOSS, week 16 playing for 3rd place (no cash payout for 3rd place)

League 2: 10 team league, #1 seed goes 13-0, week 14 LOSS, week 15 3rd place game LOSS, no cash payout

League 3: 12 team league, #1 seed goes 11-2, week 14 bye, week 15 LOSS, week 16 playing for 3rd place (no cash payout for 3rd place)

League 4: 10 team league, #1 seed goes 10-3, week 14 bye, week 15 LOSS, week 16 playing for 3rd place (cash payout if wins)

Seeding means absolutely nothing. Kind of like the NHL.

Greg Schiano is not NFL HC material. He's in over his head.

Josh Freeman has not looked good for most of the year. Even breaking down his good games, he makes far too many mistakes. He just got shutout by the worst D in the league.

When was the last time there were 3 shutouts in one week? Jags and Bolts almost made it 5.

KC is a horrible team and organization. I wish the NFL had relegation to punish one or two of the most poorly run franchises every year. Instead they'll get rewarded with a top pick and then proceed to blow it.

Arizona has a borderline top 5 defense.

DeAngelo Williams is still an elite RB talent that has been criminally underutilized by the Carolina coaching staff. He'll be 30 next year, so his prime years have been wasted for the most part. At least he got paid.

The Bears are who we thought they were. An ok team that benefited from the easiest first half schedule in the league but played the toughest second half. They have the worst offense in the NFC North.

Adrian Peterson deserves MVP.

For FF purposes, I will echo the "luck/variability" sentiment. Here's what went down in my 4 leagues (I'm not the 1 seed in each, just wanted to show how they fared)League 1: 12 team league, #1 seed goes 11-2, week 14 bye, week 15 LOSS, week 16 playing for 3rd place (no cash payout for 3rd place)League 2: 10 team league, #1 seed goes 13-0, week 14 LOSS, week 15 3rd place game LOSS, no cash payoutLeague 3: 12 team league, #1 seed goes 11-2, week 14 bye, week 15 LOSS, week 16 playing for 3rd place (no cash payout for 3rd place)League 4: 10 team league, #1 seed goes 10-3, week 14 bye, week 15 LOSS, week 16 playing for 3rd place (cash payout if wins)Seeding means absolutely nothing. Kind of like the NHL.
Yup. Had three #1 seeds this year. Put up the best or second best score in each league this week. Went 1-2. :ptts:

Really disagree. The Bucs' turnaround has still been relatively remarkable. He's definitely put his stamp on the team. Give him another year to complete the rebuild and see where they're at.

Josh Freeman has not looked good for most of the year. Even breaking down his good games, he makes far too many mistakes. He just got shutout by the worst D in the league.

When was the last time there were 3 shutouts in one week? Jags and Bolts almost made it 5.

KC is a horrible team and organization. I wish the NFL had relegation to punish one or two of the most poorly run franchises every year. Instead they'll get rewarded with a top pick and then proceed to blow it.

Arizona has a borderline top 5 defense.

DeAngelo Williams is still an elite RB talent that has been criminally underutilized by the Carolina coaching staff. He'll be 30 next year, so his prime years have been wasted for the most part. At least he got paid.

The Bears are who we thought they were. An ok team that benefited from the easiest first half schedule in the league but played the toughest second half. They have the worst offense in the NFC North.

Adrian Peterson deserves MVP.
1000% that they either draft Barkley and he is Mark Sanchez, or they draft a defensive lineman or linebacker that they don't need and sign Alex Smith but let Dwayne Bowe go in the offseason, putting him in a position to epicly fail.

I disagree with this big time.He's already started changing the culture there. It was toxic in Tampa at the end of last year. Done a real nice job in short order. The run defense is the best in the league this year. They've got a solid O-line when healthy, a franchise RB and 2 solid starting caliber WR's. I think he's stuck with a QB that's not taking them anywhere, but that can and will change soon IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see Freeman put on the block this offseason. Look at the overall numbers, you'd think he's a solid QB. Watch him play and you quickly realize the guy can't throw timing routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really disagree. The Bucs' turnaround has still been relatively remarkable. He's definitely put his stamp on the team. Give him another year to complete the rebuild and see where they're at.
Schiano is a bit like Freeman in that when you really break down the in-game decision making and play calling, he makes a lot of mistakes. Fans like to complain when coaches show poor clock management, but Schiano is probably the worst in the league at it and has cost the Bucs at least 2 games this year just due to poor end game strategy. And say what you will about his predecessors but they didn't get shut out by the worst defense in the league. And not just the worst defense this year, but an all-time bad defense. This was New Orleans first shutout in 17 years, accomplished with arguably their worst defensive unit during that time. And despite this shutout they still might set the NFL record for most yards allowed in a season. If Schiano were any run of the mill coach, his team would have been better prepared today. I really don't like what I've seen from him this season. He appears to be a good college coach that is in completely over his head as an NFL coach.

'sho nuff said:
Non-FF wise...parody is alive and well.One week NE beats the crap out of Houston...the next week they get owned for a half against SF...make a comeback but blow it in the end.One week Atlanta is getting beat by Carolina...the next they kick the crap out of the Giants.One week the Giants are killing the Packers or someone else...soon after they get blanked by Atlanta.Seattle might be playing the best right now...though, it was AZ and Buffalo...they do have a nice resume of wins though.If SF stumbles enough and Seattle really needs to sneak up in the division because I would not trust them on the road to go all the way.
Which probably tells you the Niners will dismantle the Hawks this week (seems like just when you think you have a slam dunk on how a game will go, itgoes sideways).

'jaysea said:
'dickey moe said:
Once you get to the playoffs, FF is nuttin' but L U C K.
FTFY. But this is nothing newly learned.I was burned this week listening to all the prognosticators when I would have been better off starting the same team I started two weeks ago. Shame on me but it reinforces that there are no "experts" in FF. In a given week, FF advice, columns & rankings are no more predictive than flipping a coin. You draft players, hope they stay healthy and are productive. For those who are either injured or unproductive, you ride the waiver wire hoping to catch a hot player that will stay hot for a few weeks, hopefully the remainder of the season. When it's said & done, it all comes down to luck.
:rolleyes: I bet you're awesome at poker too.

Users who are viewing this thread