What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What inspires you to be your best? (1 Viewer)

Let me try and do my post justice: 

What inspires me? Glory, plaudits, adulation. ####in' women. 

I had a hard time leaving those things from when I was King #### of #### Mountain. I decided to become a weird thing. The King of the Scene of broke drug addicts. I wanted to see and do the craziest #### few people had ever seen while never being violent to man or woman or getting other people personally hooked on bad drugs because of me. And I did do what I set out to do. I was the driver for crack dealers, the king of the crack houses. The special guest, always tested by the patrons, coveted by the other dealers because I was street legal, all the time. 

I was white in a black man's world where white people were allowed only as customers, only I was the shady friend. Before that, it was just kind of the bar scene. I wanted to be Van Wilder (never seen it) only older than college and in much harder, run-down places. And I was. I had mafia girlfriends that would get with me and away from their Eye-tie sponsors with a wink of an eye and a purr of my baritone. The mafia guys could kill me in one fell swoop and did threaten through proxies. Their victims were in pictures of bathrooms, always framed as a news story on the wall, omnipresent. #### 'em. I did their girlfriends. 

gosh darn it, what the #### inspires me? 

Who invited you? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people are doing a job because they didn’t get the support or know how to follow their dreams. Before they known it they have a wife, kids, bills and are just doing what they need to do to get by. 

I find motivational stuff super corny but Jocko Willink gets me HYPE. He’s pretty much the baddest dude on the planet. 

At work, the crippling fear that someone is going to find out I have no idea what I'm doing and calls me out on it. Has served me well for 32 years in the same industry now.
I think it's a bit different for me.  I think what I do anybody can do.  Most of it is common sense and just being respectful of people to get projects done.  I am an engineer by degree but have done very little actual engineering, crunching numbers design work.  I mostly do project management and worked in the construction field (electrician) while going through college.  Having been in the field and seeing how things get built has been a huge benefit to managing engineers and hands on workers.  However, I don't really believe I do anything special yet have been promoted, given accolades, etc throughout my career.  

I honestly feel very lucky to get paid well to do something I feel is done with just common sense and respect for others.  I feel like I am fooling everyone.  It's very strange.  

Most people are doing a job because they didn’t get the support or know how to follow their dreams.
Spot on. I'm not much of a risk-taker, so I've taken the avenue of doing what I'm good at to spend the rest of my life doing what I want, instead of devoting myself to a passion/dream job.

I used to envy the ambitious, but am now just happy that they can enjoy life how they want and I can enjoy it how I want. I wish everyone could be so fortunate.

I think it's a bit different for me.  I think what I do anybody can do.  Most of it is common sense and just being respectful of people to get projects done.  I am an engineer by degree but have done very little actual engineering, crunching numbers design work.  I mostly do project management and worked in the construction field (electrician) while going through college.  Having been in the field and seeing how things get built has been a huge benefit to managing engineers and hands on workers.  However, I don't really believe I do anything special yet have been promoted, given accolades, etc throughout my career.  

I honestly feel very lucky to get paid well to do something I feel is done with just common sense and respect for others.  I feel like I am fooling everyone.  It's very strange.  
Im a very handy person but by no means a carpenter. I got promoted to supervisor early and really had no idea what I was doing. I succeeded because instead of pretending to know what I didn’t- I leaned on the expertise of my men and gave them all the respect and adulation. My very first year my jobs made 42% profit which was the highest anyone had ever done. Second guy was at like 35% (and he was PISSED!). I didn’t do anything, my men did all the hard work. 

My point is- I find that the bar for everything is quite low and most people don’t know that. If you give me the opportunity there is nothing I cannot do. 

I grew up poor and in one of the worst education systems so it took me a long time to overcome my own ideas of what it took to succeed and that most people with college degrees really aren’t that bright at all. They can recite stuff that they have been told but can’t think outside the box and have little to no common sense or heart. I honestly have no idea how people even survive being so naive and clueless. 

Obviously there are exceptions to those thoughts but I don’t think I’m that far off. 

Im a very handy person but by no means a carpenter. I got promoted to supervisor early and really had no idea what I was doing. I succeeded because instead of pretending to know what I didn’t- I leaned on the expertise of my men and gave them all the respect and adulation. My very first year my jobs made 42% profit which was the highest anyone had ever done. Second guy was at like 35% (and he was PISSED!). I didn’t do anything, my men did all the hard work. 

My point is- I find that the bar for everything is quite low and most people don’t know that. If you give me the opportunity there is nothing I cannot do. 

I grew up poor and in one of the worst education systems so it took me a long time to overcome my own ideas of what it took to succeed and that most people with college degrees really aren’t that bright at all. They can recite stuff that they have been told but can’t think outside the box and have little to no common sense or heart. I honestly have no idea how people even survive being so naive and clueless. 

Obviously there are exceptions to those thoughts but I don’t think I’m that far off. 
Yep.  Like we both said you really don't have to do much to be thought of as quality.  Treat people with respect, admit when you don't know something or make a mistake, and have common sense (which is not too common).  

Also, show up and do what you say you are going to do.   Really basic things but it's amazing how many people don't understand this.  

With regards to degreed people not being able to think for themselves that is also something that amazes me.  College is spoon fed to you in many ways.  Engineering classes broke stuff down to specific sections so you always knew what formula, code, etc applied because it was just what you were studying that week.  It amazed me how many people couldn't take it beyond that when they had to make their own choices.   Engineers that have never been in the field are also really missing out on a good opportunity to see the difference between theory and real world.   The best engineers have put stuff together because they know how stuff translates.  The "book smart" guys are always a pain in the a$$ because they think they know it all.   

As my mentor said, if I ever got anything higher than a 90 in school, that meant I studied just a little too hard.
Truth be told, I rarely try to be my best. Fortunately, day-to-day existence seldom requires 100% effort, and the results are still acceptable. And I’m lucky to have a wonderful wife and friends, as well as a job which 90%+ of the time could be done by a chimp.

It’s really inspiring to see what people are capable of when they give it their all. Pro athletes (some of them at least) immediately come to mind. Just saw a documentary on the Nobel-winning scientist who brought immunotherapy to the forefront of cancer treatment, and that was super inspirational, too. But for whatever reason, I find it easier to go all-in physically than mentally/emotionally.  It’s much tougher to commit to the latter, perhaps because the consequences of failing are greater IMO.

To answer the OP, it’s usually other people busting their asses, or some (mostly physical) performance goal. The latter is often completely arbitrary.

Another one that really resonates with me. The problem I have some times is that feeling of disappointment when I’m not hitting the mark. That is where I struggle. I think the answer is what Gally said upthread - you do not always have to be your best and there is nothing wrong with that. I need to work on that.
The follow up question is: what percentage of the time are you at your best?

For me, it’s rare, probably less than 1%.

Terminalxylem said:
Truth be told, I rarely try to be my best. Fortunately, day-to-day existence seldom requires 100% effort, and the results are still acceptable. And I’m lucky to have a wonderful wife and friends, as well as a job which 90%+ of the time could be done by a chimp.

It’s really inspiring to see what people are capable of when they give it their all. Pro athletes (some of them at least) immediately come to mind. Just saw a documentary on the Nobel-winning scientist who brought immunotherapy to the forefront of cancer treatment, and that was super inspirational, too. But for whatever reason, I find it easier to go all-in physically than mentally/emotionally.  It’s much tougher to commit to the latter, perhaps because the consequences of failing are greater IMO.

To answer the OP, it’s usually other people busting their asses, or some (mostly physical) performance goal. The latter is often completely arbitrary.
Aren't you a doctor? Or do you just play one on message boards?

wikkidpissah said:
I have no idea why the human race dont get this, but the entire point of life is self-reform, getting better. At about 15 or so, we take what the cluster#### of life has given in way of strengths, weaknesses, lifeluck & status, plus values & neurological patterns grooved on us by our upbringing and make a go of it. If one understands such as the gift & challenge of life and finds the way to be thrilled by that opportunity, they will never be bored, depressed or overwhelmed. Let the opinion of others determine how you feel about yourself and you are a slave and always will be. Get better - simple.....not easy, but simple. Get better at anything, everything. Start now.
It all sounds so simple. I finally learned this about a decade or so ago (probably after reading one of your posts). The challenge I think for most is sustaining the application of this knowledge ever day ... or even every few days. Looking outward, how does one express this lesson to those that have not learned this without sounding preachy?

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Most people are doing a job because they didn’t get the support or know how to follow their dreams. Before they known it they have a wife, kids, bills and are just doing what they need to do to get by. 

I find motivational stuff super corny but Jocko Willink gets me HYPE. He’s pretty much the baddest dude on the planet. 
There is truth to this but on the other side of the coin there are so many examples of those that overcome the lack of support. I have a good buddy at 52 years of age that still uses his parents lack of support as his reason for his life as a roving slacker. When does one take ownership ... never mind giving it your best, how about just 50% once in awhile and maybe not be stuck in a rut for 40 years?

Gally said:
 I honestly feel very lucky to get paid well to do something I feel is done with just common sense and respect for others.  I feel like I am fooling everyone.  It's very strange.  
I totally relate to this. I can do my job in my sleep. My predecessors did and I fall into that trap often. Thankfully I snap out of it often but in these last couple years of my career, I’m hoping to go out with some greater consistency in “being my best”. Just not sure of the secret sauce that brings that consistency.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
This is absolutely a big part of the problem. Did I mention I work for the federal government?

Terminalxylem said:
The follow up question is: what percentage of the time are you at your best?

For me, it’s rare, probably less than 1%.
Although the original question posed was just to get a sense of what truly inspires people but I find it impossible to not go to this next question immediately. If I’m inspired by (fill in the blank) on a Tuesday, why am I still not inspired on Thurs? 

There are those people in the world that seem like they have an extra four hours in every day and I am just in awe of them and what they can accomplish. They seem to have this thing figured out.

I'm inspired by my work.  I design things that save lives.  If I mess up, kids could die. I have worked at other companies where the stakes are much lower - if I messed up, someone's profit margins shrink and I found that to be really boring.

I am also inspired by ambition.  I'm not where I want to be career-wise and I'm trying to put myself to the next level.  Maybe it's an inspiration to succeed, I don't know.

I'm inspired by (some) public figures.  I read about the work a guy like Peyton Manning put in, see that is what it takes to be the best and work towards that.  Or, the courage of Zelenskyy in Ukraine.  A few others.

Interesting topic.  My current project is two weeks late and I'm busting my ### to get it back on track...I'm the last to leave the office for the past month or so.  Why?  Why am I pushing myself like this, on a project I told them was understaffed 6 months ago?

These days it’s personal pride.  Not much that I can do anymore thanks to corporate buyouts and a boss who wants to cut my pay, thanks to my body breaking down.  

There is truth to this but on the other side of the coin there are so many examples of those that overcome the lack of support. I have a good buddy at 52 years of age that still uses his parents lack of support as his reason for his life as a roving slacker. When does one take ownership ... never mind giving it your best, how about just 50% once in awhile and maybe not be stuck in a rut for 40 years?
Agreed. Taking accountability is paramount. 

Ita weird- everyone is always romanticizing the struggle but then use it as an excuse to why they’re not successful.

And yes, as I said before, the bar is pretty low- just give some effort everyday and you will make the steps necessary for progress. 

This is absolutely a big part of the problem. Did I mention I work for the federal government?
I imagine our co-workers are similar. My job now pays great, has many perks but nothing I do makes any impact. None. 

Nobody wants to innovate or improve and it’s slowly killing me. I keep sane by focusing on my home life and I’m working on a law degree and side business’. 

When the numbers are right I’m out and I’m going to enjoy the rest of my life traveling with the wife. 

It all sounds so simple. I finally learned this about a decade or so ago (probably after reading one of your posts). The challenge I think for most is sustaining the application of this knowledge ever day ... or even every few days. Looking outward, how does one express this lesson to those that have not learned this without sounding preachy?

it's not hard. be life-size - dont try to be bigger than the world, dont let the world be bigger than you. be humble, be fearless. let others wish of being the best, crash on the rocks of their hopes & dreams. better, just better, always better (setbacks are lessons), is good enough for me

there never was, isn't, wont ever be someone who gets to be you this day but you. gosh almighty, that's a gift. if a gift that big dont make you feel generous, well die already.

or give. give and increase your capacity for giving by getting better. you've nothing to prove and everything to provide. dont know what you're doing next? get better at something. anything. give that to yourself. live, love, laugh, leave it better than you found it. happiness begins where selfishness ends. well........................GO!

getting better techniques:

- the most resilient lesson i ever received was from a teacher (who also happened to hustle pool outside of school) of whom i asked the meaning of a word. "look it up, but look it up the right way". "what's that?". "look up your word, then read that whole page of the dictionary. you'll have not only completed your task, but made your world bigger by doing so". if you want to know the source of my vocabulary, aaaand outlook, there it is.....

- Butler For a Day. give yourself the present of picking a day and acting like a butler does in the movies. completely remove your ego, your temper, from all your tasks. make sure everyone you deal with feels served without noticing nor wondering why. butlers take enormous pride in being utterly gracious, competent and anticipatory. your world, your personal capacity will immediately quintuple from a Butler Day.

- say your prayers. after you've put on your jammys and brushed your teeth and moisturized or masturbated, look at yourself in the mirror, take a deep breath, ask yourself what youve done today, what was right, what was wrong, the questions that were raised, the problems you solved, the problems you caused. thank life for the chance, anyway,. resolve to do better tomorrow. g'night.

it's not hard. be life-size - dont try to be bigger than the world, dont let the world be bigger than you. be humble, be fearless. let others wish of being the best, crash on the rocks of their hopes & dreams. better, just better, always better (setbacks are lessons), is good enough for me

there never was, isn't, wont ever be someone who gets to be you this day but you. gosh almighty, that's a gift. if a gift that big dont make you feel generous, well die already.

or give. give and increase your capacity for giving by getting better. you've nothing to prove and everything to provide. dont know what you're doing next? get better at something. anything. give that to yourself. live, love, laugh, leave it better than you found it. happiness begins where selfishness ends. well........................GO!
Thanks wikkid! I have followed your advice over the years and have no intention of stopping now. It is this advice that has me at this current moment. Nearing retirement, loving my job and the people within my organization, I want to leave them In the best place as possible - professionally and personally. As you say, give and give. The government environment is not always conducive to that ... but on the other hand that is just an excuse, so I keep trying. I know I am making a difference with quite a few but am always searching for how I can do more.

Next on my hit list will be figuring how how to do this after I retire. Where next to “give and give”? I am sure I will figure it out. I am also sure I will struggle along the way and look for more advice from those that “give and give” to me.

I imagine our co-workers are similar. My job now pays great, has many perks but nothing I do makes any impact. None. 

Nobody wants to innovate or improve and it’s slowly killing me. I keep sane by focusing on my home life and I’m working on a law degree and side business’. 

When the numbers are right I’m out and I’m going to enjoy the rest of my life traveling with the wife. 
Good luck man! That sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I am about two years from retiring, although I intend on doing “something” after I pull the pin from my government job. Traveling with my wife and exploring the world is top on the agenda for sure!

Next on my hit list will be figuring how how to do this after I retire. Where next to “give and give”? I am sure I will figure it out. I am also sure I will struggle along the way and look for more advice from those that “give and give” to me.

Rather than give where the need is greatest, i prefer to give where my skills can do the most. Yes, the give is the real get in life but one of the reasons behind that is that the tasks themselves become rewarding, restorative. So, it's natural human economics to help where one can be the most helpful. An engineer should not be ladling soup, even if there's a lot of hunger. Attach yourself to established groups if they can use your skill but, with the time that retirement provides, starting your own group of like minds/shared purpose is a thing to consider, too.

Besides counseling/coaching, i've always been big on beautifying/restoring. See a creek nearby that's become a dump, a park that's gone to seed or if you're adventurous, a neighborhood goin' str8tohell? Fifty years ago, i wanted to get the suds out of a local canal and i ended up spending glorious weeks & weekends as part of The River Project, doing palpable good, helping waterways reclaim themselves and listening to Pete Seeger lead singalongs. Restoring pride, civic or personal, is as substantial as restoring buildings

If you do code, i rarely see towns that have a really active, responsive community bulletin boards. Start one, fix one, grow one. This world should be lousy with unions - consumer unions, fan unions, issue unions, town unions - but the corruption of labor unions put folks off the idea. Start your own, if you got sumn burnin' in your belly, stickin' in your craw. Jesus (sorry to bother you on your bad day) had it right - "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” Well, the secularized version is just as powerful. Go - be fruitful & multiply.

Users who are viewing this thread