What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What inspires you? (1 Viewer)

sho nuff

Footballguy
Pretty broad question...sort of came up as an idea while reading randall's ALS thread.  Some are inspired by religion, family...whatever.  What is it that gets you inspired?

For me its been different things for different purposes (stay clean people):

-Been several years, but I was pretty overweight and always lacked the real push to lose it.  Besides the normal things like being better for wife and kids and so on...what pushed me in the end was friends from college.  They had lost a child to Neuroblastoma and created a non-profit that has gone on to do really great things for others who are going through that with a child.  Part of that charity was running in the Country Music Marathon and Half Marathon.  So my motivation became, I had to do better in order to get my butt in shape to run that half marathon with their group.  Something which I was able to do as well as a few other events with them.

-Along the journey and running, I got very into it and was inspired and motivated actually by several members here in the 10k thread.  I have sort of stepped back from a lot of that, but am recently returning after a few years of little injuries and dumbassery that has kept me from running.

-Another motivation in my own health and fitness has been on the bad side with illnesses and deaths of my mother and father.  Id say with that and some other family health concerns, ive got a good chance from my genes of some stuff I may have to fight.  I figure it best to be in the best shape and health I can be in if it ever comes to that.

-My wife...she has always been an inspiration to me through how hard she worked in college and after.  When I was simply a stay at home dad for few years that came after long discussions we had over the years of one of us staying home...and she pushed me to do it and knew she was not built for that.  She worked and continues to work very hard still being our primary income in the house.  I may not talk of religion much either...but she is one that sort of got me back going to church after we got married.  And its been good for me and we are in a good community that we all enjoy.  There are sunday mornings Id rather sleep in...but she sort of gets us going and up and ready to go...and im always happy she did afterward. 

-My kids in different ways...for how they work through different things and situations...what they need to push and motivate them also gets me inspired to do more for them.

-My parents still in every way...even when gone inspire me to be a better man, husband, father, and friend.

-Maybe strange...maybe not...posts here at times.  Like those in the running thread, or people who have gone through great trials or loss...and how people react to things inspires me to let go of a lot of the smaller stuff.  Though, that is always a work in progress.

There are many more as well...but didn't want to push that all in one post (which was already a bit long).

Used to be a big guy too / 6’1” and 295lbs at the top end.  Eventually just got sick of it, dropped 130lbs in a year. Now I’m 180ish well over a decade later. 

Honestly the movitvations were purely selfish. I wanted to look better, date hotter women, and be able to do things like play sports at a higher level. There wasn’t a need for offensive lineman anymore at that point, so time to get the weight off.  I basically do things with the intention of making my life and my wife’s like easier or more enjoyable.  That’s it. Work?  I work for money. Workout?  I workout so we can kayak and run and enjoy the outdoors. I don’t do A without the B. 

Like you said, different things at different times, but in a general sense, a few things tend to always inspire me:

Dedication and hard work - Many contexts. Could be relationships with other people, sticking with something despite setbacks, etc. 

People who are good at what they do - usually (but not always) tied to the dedication and hard work

People who have suffered great losses and continue to be positive - deaths, catastrophic injuries, etc. 

Alcohol, ##### and the never ending hope that some day a dolphin will explain the meaning of life to me right before the planet explodes.

The quest to just feel great day in and day out.    Eating well, exercising,  structuring my life so that I have time to ride my bike and spend time with my kids, getting enough sleep, working a low stress job, its all with the purpose of maximizing my happiness.    

Last edited by a moderator:
The mysteries of the universe. Life, death, the soul.

I don't expect to fully understand these things by the time I die whenever that may be. But I'd be disappointed if I didn't feel I was any closer to the truth.

i’m inspired to be a better person than i was when i was younger.  i had a bad temper and bad attitude, but learned a lot and really made a concerted effort to change after my MIL passed.  

i didn’t get a chance to understand or enjoy her more and man, not a day goes by that i don’t regret not cooking or learning the kitchen from her and her dedication to charity and her church.  she never had a drivers license, yet worked 2-3 jobs at a time, walking to all, in order to raise 5 kids on her own.  i’ve dedicated myself to being more charitable in her honor, randomly donating time and money, visiting hospitals and animal shelters, establishing a charity in her name, driving for meals on wheels, etc.  sadly, it took a bad time to truly understand what is important and inspiring.

With all the bad news around, seeing there are some genuinely kind and caring people out there keep me grounded. Through my cancer stuff I had strangers wanting to help me. I was shocked.

Almost 2 weeks ago I had sinus surgery scheduled with a 5:30 am check in time. Contacted drivers for survivors which is an organization of volunteers who drive you to and from medical appts if you have or have been through cancer. Wasn't sure they would find someone that early as 6 am is when drivers start. Low and behold is this newly retired guy. So kind. Got up at 4:30 for me. Then went back home to bed. You don't know how much any help means when you live alone. So I am motivated to give back where I can because I know how much the little things are truly appreciated. Win/win. Makes me happy.

Nothing, but I really wish something did. 

I haven't been inspired to better myself in a few years.  

I badly want to better myself, but I currently don't have the motivation to take the necessary steps.

With all the bad news around, seeing there are some genuinely kind and caring people out there keep me grounded. Through my cancer stuff I had strangers wanting to help me. I was shocked.

Almost 2 weeks ago I had sinus surgery scheduled with a 5:30 am check in time. Contacted drivers for survivors which is an organization of volunteers who drive you to and from medical appts if you have or have been through cancer. Wasn't sure they would find someone that early as 6 am is when drivers start. Low and behold is this newly retired guy. So kind. Got up at 4:30 for me. Then went back home to bed. You don't know how much any help means when you live alone. So I am motivated to give back where I can because I know how much the little things are truly appreciated. Win/win. Makes me happy.
Hope that went well.  I’ve had 3 sinus surgeries and likely to have more.

Hope that went well.  I’ve had 3 sinus surgeries and likely to have more.
Wow. Good luck.

Need to give it a couple months for full recovery. Still numb and swollen some. ENT used no packing material or splints which is great. Right now my constant dull headaches and dull earaches seems to be gone. I had a cyst removed and a slightly deviated septum fixed: turbinate reduction and septoplasty. 

Wow. Good luck.

Need to give it a couple months for full recovery. Still numb and swollen some. ENT used no packing material or splints which is great. Right now my constant dull headaches and dull earaches seems to be gone. I had a cyst removed and a slightly deviated septum fixed: turbinate reduction and septoplasty. 
Have had the turbinates done...but mostly it’s that my left side reacts to things in the air with polyps creating awful headaches and sinus infections. Recovery format isn’t as bad as some others.

Have had the turbinates done...but mostly it’s that my left side reacts to things in the air with polyps creating awful headaches and sinus infections. Recovery format isn’t as bad as some others.
Are there any sprays that can help with that, like allergy sprays, saline sprays, neti-pot? I'm using a saline with aloe spray to help with recovery. Maybe doing saline rinses will help with infections and polyp formations.

Are there any sprays that can help with that, like allergy sprays, saline sprays, neti-pot? I'm using a saline with aloe spray to help with recovery. Maybe doing saline rinses will help with infections and polyp formations.
Recently very yes and I have a regimen that helps slow it down.

Sinugator (basically a jet of saline shot in one side and out the other). Then a steroid nebulized straight into the cavity a couple times a week.

But nothing that will necessarily “cure” it.

ghostguy123 said:
Nothing, but I really wish something did. 

I haven't been inspired to better myself in a few years.  

I badly want to better myself, but I currently don't have the motivation to take the necessary steps.
How about family members? Or people that you know personally that you admire? Whether they have battled demons and beat the odds, overcome tragedies, or just still churning despite life dealing ####ty cards, there's inspiration out there, you just have to learn to recognize it.  Why haven't you felt inspired to better yourself in a few years?

Life inspires me.

I lost my best friend at 21 to a car accident and it forever changed me. Before that, I really didn't take life all that seriously, never gave too much thought how precious it was. I wasted a lot of years just hanging out, doing nothing. Started travelling, expanding my horizons, being in the moment but making the best of those moments. Devouring information from archaeology to astronomy and everything in between. Something that still stays with me. Trying to enjoy every day as if it was my last. Which leads me to my other inspiration...my wife. Hands down the hardest working, most no nonsense person I have ever met. Without ever having to say a word, without ever nagging (except maybe to work out more) she inspires me to be better every day. She leads by example to everyone that knows her. There's a reason why her workout friends call her The General...lol. Not sure where I would be without her.

Life inspires me.

I lost my best friend at 21 to a car accident and it forever changed me. Before that, I really didn't take life all that seriously, never gave too much thought how precious it was. I wasted a lot of years just hanging out, doing nothing. Started travelling, expanding my horizons, being in the moment but making the best of those moments. Devouring information from archaeology to astronomy and everything in between. Something that still stays with me. Trying to enjoy every day as if it was my last. Which leads me to my other inspiration...my wife. Hands down the hardest working, most no nonsense person I have ever met. Without ever having to say a word, without ever nagging (except maybe to work out more) she inspires me to be better every day. She leads by example to everyone that knows her. There's a reason why her workout friends call her The General...lol. Not sure where I would be without her.
I feel ya on the first one. I lost a good friend who was also my next door neighbor in my early twenties. He left behind a wife and 2 young kids. It was quite sobering. 

love reading through this... great thread idea. :thumbup:  

for me, it's almost always great art/s. art, music, movies, architecture that swings for the fences, trying new things and showing me a way of looking at life I'd never thought of or considered. 

eta: throw literature in there too... 

If I knew the answer to that I would have done something about it by now.  

I seem to be stuck in the doldrums of being content
Happens to the best of us, GB. I think we all go through those phases from time to time. Content is not a bad place to be stuck. There are far worse places to be stuck. 

Another from my younger years.  My brother is 4 years older...and a little bit taller.  We played a crap ton of one on one basketball over the years.  I was quite motivated to work my ### off to get better to have a chance to beat him.  It didn't happen often, but once I was in high school and worked on my game (and could jump a bit better than him) I was able to take him a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread