What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Natalie Portman's signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature role

• Mathilda - The Professional

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • Queen Amidala - Star Wars 1,2 & 3

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • Sam - Garden State

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Alice - Closer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rebecca - Free Zone

• Evey - V for Vendatta

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Anne Boleyn - The other Boleyn Girl

• Emilia - The Other Woman

• The Swan Queen - The Black Swan

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • Jane Foster - Thor...

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Jane - Jane got a gun

• Jackie - Jackie

• Lena - Annihilation

• Other

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
HOT TAKE ALERT! 

I think Portman is considered one of the better female actors, but now actually looking at the list, none of those performances are really all that impressive. 😐

I don't think she's a particularly great actor. I mean, she's fine - there's nothing wrong with her. But I don't think she's as great as ... Amy Adams or Keira Knightley or Alicia Vikander - to name some of her contemporaries.

She is, however, extremely attractive.

Black Swan, easily. Part of that is because Aronofsky knows how to bring out the best in his talent. Not sure if he gave her the bone. 

She was great in The Professional, Garden State, and Black Swan, but I wouldn't consider any of those roles to be "signature" roles.

Her only signature role was Queen Amidala and she was terrible in all 3 movies.

Aronofsky knows how to bring out the best in his talent.
Aronofsky made Jared Leto and Marlon Wayans look like two of the best actors to ever grace a screen. Such solid performances by all three leads in that movie, Maid Marion (Jennifer Connelly) included. 

eta* Been waiting for Aronofsky to cut something as meaningful as that movie for a long time. Black Swan really didn't do it for me.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Aronofsky made Jared Leto and Marlon Wayans look like two of the best actors to ever grace a screen. Such solid performances by all three leads in that movie, Maid Marion (Jennifer Connelly) included. 

eta* Been waiting for Aronofsky to cut something as meaningful as that movie for a long time. Black Swan really didn't do it for me.   
Requiem is one of my all time favorites, but a movie I just can't watch again. Aronofsky is brilliant in building tension over a long period of time. Before you know it, you were the frog in the boiling water.  A perfect example of this is Mother.

She was great in The Professional, Garden State, and Black Swan, but I wouldn't consider any of those roles to be "signature" roles.

Her only signature role was Queen Amidala and she was terrible in all 3 movies.
The ProfessIonal is the first thing I think of when her name comes up, and I don’t think she has a career at all if not for that movie, so I would call that a signature role in my book.

Now if the question was “infamous roles”, I agree it’s Amidulla all day.

Aronofsky made Jared Leto and Marlon Wayans look like two of the best actors to ever grace a screen.
The Wayans dig I get, but Leto is an Academy Award winner. 

And to answer the question, Mathilda for me. That is the role that put her on the map. 

Requiem is one of my all time favorites, but a movie I just can't watch again. Aronofsky is brilliant in building tension over a long period of time. Before you know it, you were the frog in the boiling water.  A perfect example of this is Mother.
Such a great description. 

The Wayans dig I get, but Leto is an Academy Award winner. 

And to answer the question, Mathilda for me. That is the role that put her on the map. 
It wasn't really that much of a dig. Leto is indeed an Oscar winner, Connelly is a universally-acclaimed actress, and I thought about that while typing out what I was typing. Regardless, I still think that triumvirate might have given the best performances of their careers, respectively, in that film. 

It wasn't really that much of a dig. Leto is indeed an Oscar winner, Connelly is a universally-acclaimed actress, and I thought about that while typing out what I was typing. Regardless, I still think that triumvirate might have given the best performances of their careers, respectively, in that film. 
Agreed. Absolutely fantastic performances that I will only see once as I never again want to watch that movie. Oh, and add Ellen Burstyn to make it four potential career performances. 

Agreed. Absolutely fantastic performances that I will only see once as I never again want to watch that movie. Oh, and add Ellen Burstyn to make it four potential career performances. 
Heartbreaking. Personal story, sadly: My mother told me my troubled and elderly grandmother got a similar letter and acted similarly, without the institutionalization or diet pills, but with the belief they'd actually chosen her. We both got really sad and quiet for a moment upon the retelling. I also agree that there's no need to watch Requiem again for me. Haven't since this decade began.

Garden State was only time I've ever been impressed with her work. Everything else was paint by numbers to me. 

Haven't seen the professional 

Users who are viewing this thread