What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the formula for Weight Watchers? (1 Viewer)

Hear-the-Footsteps

Footballguy
I know there are several guys here who participate in the FBG weight loss contest - so I figured someone could tell me the break down as to how to calculate the # of weight watchers' points in something?

I am looking to lose some lbs. Nothing crazy, but hopefully around 10-12 pounds by June. Actually, more about being happy with how I look in the mirror than an exact # of pounds.

I know around 12 pounds doesn't sound like much, but a) I eat a ton and b) it is only in a little over 2 mos. As for eating a ton - I am usually a pretty healthy eater - it's just that whatever I am eating, I tend to eat too much of it. (For instance, you know those packages of ground turkey meat that are supposed to make four servings? Well, I easily finish one package (all four servings) by myself. And that doesn't include whatever sides I have with the meal.)

Anyway, if anyone knows how to calculate the WW pts - please let me know. I figured that was the best way to lose the weight. I know some swear by Atkins, but almost everyone I know who has lost weight from it (so it does work), eventually puts it back on when they return to carbs.

Thanks!

I don't have the exact info with me, but it is mainly based on total calories, total fat grams and total fiber grams. Someone who has the actual point counter will give you a better answer, but that's a start.

Odd that you should ask....they hand you a slide rule when you sign up. It's based on calories per serving, fat grams and fiber grams. I have the equation....need to find it....standby. I sat down and figured it out so I could right an app for my pocket pc :bag: Just need to find the code.

Also, how many points are you allowed each day?

And if you stick to it, how quickly do you lose the weight?
It depends on how much you weight....but I am 6'4" and weighed about 270 lbs at the time I started...I got 35 points to start....I lost almost 40 lbs in 12 weeks.Still looking for the formula....

You also get 35 "bonus" points each week to use above what you normally get. You can get WW points at most restaurants here.

s/t is short for something? Like b/c for because?

Learn something new every day.

Back on topic: Deal a Meal owns Weight Watchers.

My Excel Calculation

=(C3-(D3*10)+(E3*4.16))/50

C3=Calories

D3-Fiber

E3=Fat
Does # of calories from fat matter? Or just whatever the total calories are?Same with fat? Do you include all fat - or only certain types of fat?

s/t is short for something? Like b/c for because?

Learn something new every day.

Back on topic: Deal a Meal owns Weight Watchers.
:lmao: yeah, i use s/t for 'something'

i think it is generally accepted - though maybe not

My Excel Calculation

C3=Calories

D3-Fiber

E3=Fat
Does # of calories from fat matter? Or just whatever the total calories are?Same with fat? Do you include all fat - or only certain types of fat?
Use total calories and all fat grams. In a nutshell when comparing food you look for the best combination of high fiber, low fat and low calorie.

My Excel Calculation

C3=Calories

D3-Fiber

E3=Fat
Use total calories and all fat grams. In a nutshell when comparing food you look for the best combination of high fiber, low fat and low calorie.
Do you have a chart delineating how many points each person is allowed based on their height and weight?

My Excel Calculation

C3=Calories

D3-Fiber

E3=Fat
So carbs doesn't matter at all?

My Excel Calculation

C3=Calories

D3-Fiber

E3=Fat
Do you have a chart delineating how many points each person is allowed based on their height and weight?
I was on this plan a couple of years ago, so my memory may be a little off. I think a 240 lb male was allowed between 20-24 points. They really stress that you try to at least eat the minimum, but I was not to stringent on that point. I dropped from 260 to 230 but then hit a wall. I began a more rigorous excercise routine and took off another 15, so I am pretty happy, however I would still like to hit 200 (6'4").Here is a great website for determining the points associated with pre-packaged foods and restaurant meals

Dottis weight loss zone

It looks like the link to the restarants is inactive, but aybe that is user error.

Good lock

How many points are in a 12 pack of light beer?
If I remember correctly...it's 2 maybe 3 points per beer.
Yeah, pretty sure 2 for light beer, 3 for most lagers, 4 for some other ales. I used to do this but right now not really caring too much. It is a pretty good and simple system.

Also, carbs make no difference here in and of themselves. However, the types of carbs will play a role because the amount of fiber is higher in complex carbs than simple, and the higher the amount of fiber, the lower the points (up to like 7 g of fiber.)

My Excel Calculation

C3=Calories

D3-Fiber

E3=Fat
I was on this plan a couple of years ago, so my memory may be a little off. I think a 240 lb male was allowed between 20-24 points. They really stress that you try to at least eat the minimum, but I was not to stringent on that point. I dropped from 260 to 230 but then hit a wall. I began a more rigorous excercise routine and took off another 15, so I am pretty happy, however I would still like to hit 200 (6'4").Here is a great website for determining the points associated with pre-packaged foods and restaurant meals

Dottis weight loss zone

It looks like the link to the restarants is inactive, but aybe that is user error.

Good lock
20-24 is low for 240 lb male. I was like 201 when I started doing it and I got 26. I was kind of pissed when I hit 180 and had to go down to 24.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Excel Calculation

C3=Calories

D3-Fiber

E3=Fat
No, I don't have a chart. We just moved, so I might have trouble finding the chart they gave my wife.

My Excel Calculation=(C3-(D3*10)+(E3*4.16))/50C3=CaloriesD3-FiberE3=Fat
(Calories/50)+(Fat grams/12)-(Fiber Grams/5)Your max fiber grams is 4
Both formulas are equivalent, but McFly's is a mess! lol Tiger Fan's doesn't need the parentheses, but it's succinct and to the point. :DIIRC, a BK Whopper is something like 35pts, so avoid those (unless you've banked a bunch of points and REALLY want one). :yes:

My Excel Calculation

C3=Calories

D3-Fiber

E3=Fat

Dottis weight loss zone

Good lock
This is wrong. I'm at 185 and I'm allowed b/w 22-27 points. When I was at 195 I think it was b/w 24-29

The key for weight watchers is portion/serving size. You'll be shocked how little you actually get to eat. Those first two weeks were horrible. I remember licking my plate trying to get that last bit of sauce as I was still starving. But your body adjusts and after that it was no problem. I lost 35 pounds over 7 months. That was 3 years ago. I've gained about 15 back and am thinking of going back on WW.

My Excel Calculation

C3=Calories

D3-Fiber

E3=Fat
(Calories/50)+(Fat grams/12)-(Fiber Grams/5)

Your max fiber grams is 4
Both formulas are equivalent, but McFly's is a mess! lol Tiger Fan's doesn't need the parentheses, but it's succinct and to the point. :D IIRC, a BK Whopper is something like 35pts, so avoid those (unless you've banked a bunch of points and REALLY want one). :yes:
Yeah, unless you sport the Casio calculator watch and/or have your TI-85 in your white, short sleeve, button down shirt pocket (chances are, if you have the watch on your person, the TI can't be far behind :nerd: ), my formula may be a little hard to use on the fly. Stick with Tiger Fan there....

The key for weight watchers is portion/serving size. You'll be shocked how little you actually get to eat. Those first two weeks were horrible. I remember licking my plate trying to get that last bit of sauce as I was still starving. But your body adjusts and after that it was no problem. I lost 35 pounds over 7 months. That was 3 years ago. I've gained about 15 back and am thinking of going back on WW.
I was just the opposite. I felt very full from eating lots more of the 0 point foods (most veggies, salad, etc)I belong to WW online which costs $16/month, I think. Good online food diary program that takes care of your points for you. Very easy to do. If you join at a bricks and mortar meeting, you get the online program free. I just hated going to meetings.

Your daily point range is based on your current weight. Toward the end of my weight loss I was using about 18-20 per day, but it started out higher.

The key for weight watchers is portion/serving size.  You'll be shocked how little you actually get to eat.  Those first two weeks were horrible.  I remember licking my plate trying to get that last bit of sauce as I was still starving.  But your body adjusts and after that it was no problem.  I lost 35 pounds over 7 months.  That was 3 years ago.  I've gained about 15 back and am thinking of going back on WW.
I was just the opposite. I felt very full from eating lots more of the 0 point foods (most veggies, salad, etc)
Oh I had salad with every meal, but apparently I could only tolerate so much and would rather keep the starvation feeling than try to fill myself up with lettuce and celery.

My Excel Calculation

C3=Calories

D3-Fiber

E3=Fat

Dottis weight loss zone

Good lock
This is wrong. I'm at 185 and I'm allowed b/w 22-27 points. When I was at 195 I think it was b/w 24-29
It does look like my memory was a little off. I just found the book I had from a few years ago with the points listed. I do not know if things have changed or not, but here is what it said.under 150 20 points

150-175 22 points

176-200 24 points

It continues to increase 2 points for each 25 pounds.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread