What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Your League's % of IDP Ptss vs. Total Pts. (1 Viewer)

What is Your League's % of IDP Ptss vs. Total Pts.

• Less than 15%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15% to 30%

• 30% to 40%

• 40% to 47.5 %

• 47.5% to 52.5%

• 52.5% to 60%

• 60% to 70%

• 70% to 85%

• More than 85%

• Total voters

Dynasty

Footballguy
I was sorting a few #s for my league and noticed a trend that had been true most of the year stayed true at the end. Our league's offensive points and defensive points were almost exactly 50/50.Offensive players scored a total of 10,247.68 points in my 12-team league. Defensive players scored 10,230.46 points. That breaks down to:Offense: 50.042%Defense: 49.958%I'm curious to how other leagues breakdown.Also, what do you think is an ideal split?Edit: Can't believe I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is interesting, because rarely will defensive players be picked at a level with offensive players. I like a system that asigns value to players relative to where they are drafted. Because of the variation between QB, WR and DB scoring (for example), I think that it is more accurate to measure the value relative to the baseline of worst player started. In the IDP stuff I have done, defensive deviation from the baseline is about 33% of offensive players. Therefore, defenses should score 1/4 of the points and offensive players should score 3/4. With team defenses, I like to see the numbers lower, for the selection of a team defense seems to be much more of a crapshoot.

Off- 17,253.2Def- 12,932.1Start- 1-QB 1-2RB 3-4WR 1-2TE 1PK 1-2DT 2-DE 2-4LB 2-3CB 2-3SScoring- .05pt yd passing,-2pt Int, .1pt yd run/rec, -1pt fum/lost, .5ppr, 2pt bonus for 300yds pass 100yds run/rec, 1pt tackle, .5pt assist, 4pt sack, 5pt Int, 1pt pass defense, 3pt FF, 2pt FR, all def/ST TD's 8ptsOff = 57.2%Def = 42.8%I dont know how your league is but at 42% it seams the def. players have alot to do with the outcome. I'd like to see what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know how your league is but at 42% it seams the def. players have alot to do with the outcome. I'd like to see what you think.
My league is:1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 WR/TE,

1 point/20 yards rushing/recieving, 1 point/ 50 yards passing, 1 point/reception, -2 fumble/interception, 1 point/40 return yards

1 DT, 2 DE, 3 LB, 2 CB, 2 S, 1 DE/LB

.75/tackle, .25/assist, 5/interception, 4/sack, 3/forced fumble, 3/fumble recovery

The IDP's definitely have a big impact on wins and losses. Our two Super Bowl teams finished 1st and 3rd in defensive points during the regular season.

Can this get moved to the IDP forum?

I dont know how your league is but at 42% it seams the def. players have alot to do with the outcome. I'd like to see what you think.

1 point/20 yards rushing/recieving, 1 point/ 50 yards passing, 1 point/reception, -2 fumble/interception, 1 point/40 return yards

.75/tackle, .25/assist, 5/interception, 4/sack, 3/forced fumble, 3/fumble recovery

The IDP's definitely have a big impact on wins and losses. Our two Super Bowl teams finished 1st and 3rd in defensive points during the regular season.

Can this get moved to the IDP forum?
Do you like the IDP's having that much say in it?

Do you like the IDP's having that much say in it?
I love it. A frustration a lot of fantasy football players have is that stud running backs dominate the game. With IDP's scoring 50% of my league's points, different strategic options come into play.

In my three years in the league, I've finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (very close to first in the 2nd and 3rd years) in defensive points in large part because I've drafted defenisve players earlier than anybody else. I've made it a goal each year to be #1 in defensive points to give myself a comparative advantage in the league. I've only been about an average scoring offensive team, usually weak at wide receiver.

My teams have gone 10-4, 10-6, and 11-5 and made the playoffs twice.

Everybody wants LT2, Moss, or Manning. So, by having the option of earning game-winning points from other positions than the traditional ones, new avenues to manage your team are opened.

Some numbers for ya Dynasty. My league is three years old:2003 Champ(11-5): #2 in total points, #2 offense, #3 defense2004 Champ(10-6): #2 in total points, #1 offense, #2 defense2005 The team with the best record(12-2) and most points is in the superbowl. His rankings: #1 in total points, #1 offense, #2 defense.Even with the less % going to defense you still need a good defense to compete. Not saying there's anything wrong with your just throwing numbers out there for comparison.

My league we start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, and 4 IDP (any position). Our breakdown in about 30% defense/70% offense. I like this split. To me it seems IDPs' scores can vary quite a bit, so I would want them to be a huge part of the final score. However, at 30%, the IDP can certainly affect the outcome and is enough to make one research and pay attention to IDP and their trends.

My Zealots league worked out to approximately 63% offense, 37% defense.We start:1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1Flex,vs.2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 2FlexI think it works out really well.

52% Offense, 48% DefenseStart qb/rb/wr/wr/te/flex/flex/k/dl/dl/lb/lb/db/db/flex/flex (16 total, 8 on each)

My IDP Dynasty league:2005: 43% O, 57% D2004: 44% O, 56% D2003: 43% O, 57% D2002: 45% O, 55% DStart: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, TE, PK - 8 on O4 DB and either a 3-4 or 4-3 DL-LB Set - 11 on DThere's one team out with a consistenly pathetic O - PManning, ok at PK, and mediocre to poor TE, RB's, & WR's excepting last year's Bennett lightning in a bottle season. The D is top-2, so that team actually has a winning record the last 2 years.And I really like this breakdown, because I'm the guy who inherited the team with the crappy O, and my picks haven't helped much on O. I did mostly build the D to what it is.

Ideally, 50/50, although if you want realism, include special teams too. The great thing about IDP leagues is it forces owners to look beyond ESPN and the other major networks, actually dig a bit and find the IDP gems. Once most people get past the 2nd LB on their team, they find themselves needing to either research or guess. It just takes more skill.Just like in the NFL, sometimes an average offense and great D will win the league championship. Plus, even knowledgeable owners vary in the value they give IDPs. For example, would you trade Lee Evans or Aaron Brooks for Vilma or Peppers? Many won't, but it might be the prudent move.

Users who are viewing this thread