What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would you do?Department manager won't let me take of July 4th for Cousins Wedding that I need to stay over night for (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
So I work in Retail food in produce. Oveallr My department manager is pretty good. He can be an ####### at times but one you can put up with because he protects our hours and makes sure we have them among other things. However he's stubborn and thickheaded. 

Anyway My cousin and his wife are getting married on the 4th of the July at the Shore in Jersey.I live in PA and don't drive so I need a family member going to drive me which he already knows. They already had a wedding in Australia where her family is because her dad can't travel do to healthy issues. This part of the wedding is more so a reception with family and his friends.

Anyway my produce manager has the date blacked off. Gives the typical busiest day in Produce other then Thanksgiving/Xmass Eve and no one is special. He's a decent guy besides the fact and I feel going over him to my ASD as my store director is out for 2 weeks would be bad. He doesn't believe I have the wedding as I did mention to him My cousin was married in Australia I let him know about this wedding months ago trying to work with him on it as well. At first I thought I could work early but then found out that's not remotely possible of when I need to get there, I need the 4th and 5th off as we are staying over night. I'm thinking of bringing the invitation in to show him its real. If worse comes to worse should I just go to my ASD and tell him? My ASD is pretty cool and always takes our sides so I'm sure he'd be ok here. I'm not one to take off Memorial/Labor Day or even July 4th either. I work those days unless I get lucky to be off at my older positions at the store. 

Any suggestions that aren't knee jerk  reactions would be fine. I'm not quitting given the fact I need the job and I can't find anywhere that has the benefits and wages I make that make sense. It's a good job but with all retail can be frustrating at times. I really don't think it's out of line for me to ask off for a family members wedding. If it was just some random BBQ I'd just tell my cousin "Either I'll try to make it but will be late or sorry maybe another time." but this is his wedding we're talking about. I also gave him a heads up on this months ago so we could start figuring things out.

Take the time. You will find out just how valuable you are when you come back.

Either they forgive you or punish you. If you get fired the jobs not as good as you think it is.

Didn't you ##### and moan to get Christmas eve

Nope he was more pissed off I found out because some other coworker screwed him over and took his frustration out on me. He half hearted apologized. I asked for earlier hours Christmas Eve not off and worked prior holidays. 

I really think you should quit. 

There's a little meat and deli market that sells some grocery items in the same shopping center I have friends who work there. The one guy gets M-F 8-3. Needed a day off and told the boss he could come in Sun or Sat to make it up and his boss who runs the store told him you don't have to do that take your time off. I just need to see if wages and benefits are similar and worth it. If they are peace out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't you ##### and moan to get Christmas eve

Also My family time is my family time. If the hours are so important to them they could do them themselves I'll walkout. Have fun trying to find someone working my job what should be part time working almost FT hours for horrible wages. Then they complain about being able to find help? Gee I wonder why 

If all else fails try sweet talking a coworker to cover for you. The scheduler at my wife’s work is notorious for not wanting to ask employees if they will come in on a regular day off that someone else needs off for a specific reason. However if the person needing off finds someone to switch shifts with it's always ok'd. The scheduler has even told my wife before to find someone to switch with instead of yes or no. If you ask around there might be someone who wants a different day off besides the 4th, good luck!

Most weddings suck - I’d personally use it as a reason to not attend.
You're not wrong, here. 

Got dragged to one last weekend. 

Mid June Wedding in Rural north Mississippi. They specified "Black Tie Optional".... for a daytime outdoor wedding in MS? I've met these people... nobody is showing up in a Tux. 

Day of the event: Blazing Sun. 110 heat index. No tent over the crowd. People are soaked in sweat. Thankfully nobody wore black tie apparel. In fact several guys were wearing Colombia PFG fishing shirts with "Dude" slip on loafers and shorts... Maybe that's Mississippi Black tie? 

Anyway... Cafeteria grade chicken, mashed potatoes and peas for the meal..... "bar" was canned bud light or one of 4 premade fruity drinks that tasted like diabetes and had no booze in them. DJ was horrible ... constant feedback anytime anyone used a mic... he's drunk midway through. 

I grabbed a bottle of bourbon from my trunk and sat in the corner with a buddy and our dates drinking and making fun of people until it was appropriate to leave. 

90% of weddings are terrible. 

You're not wrong, here. 

Got dragged to one last weekend. 

Mid June Wedding in Rural north Mississippi. They specified "Black Tie Optional".... for a daytime outdoor wedding in MS? I've met these people... nobody is showing up in a Tux. 

Day of the event: Blazing Sun. 110 heat index. No tent over the crowd. People are soaked in sweat. Thankfully nobody wore black tie apparel. In fact several guys were wearing Colombia PFG fishing shirts with "Dude" slip on loafers and shorts... Maybe that's Mississippi Black tie? 

Anyway... Cafeteria grade chicken, mashed potatoes and peas for the meal..... "bar" was canned bud light or one of 4 premade fruity drinks that tasted like diabetes and had no booze in them. DJ was horrible ... constant feedback anytime anyone used a mic... he's drunk midway through. 

I grabbed a bottle of bourbon from my trunk and sat in the corner with a buddy and our dates drinking and making fun of people until it was appropriate to leave. 

90% of weddings are terrible. 
90% is being kind. I didn’t even want to be at my own. 

So, what exactly are the perks of this job? Is it worthwhile?  Seems like there are quite a few schedule issues.  Can you make similar $$ with a better quality of life elsewhere?

If all else fails try sweet talking a coworker to cover for you. The scheduler at my wife’s work is notorious for not wanting to ask employees if they will come in on a regular day off that someone else needs off for a specific reason. However if the person needing off finds someone to switch shifts with it's always ok'd. The scheduler has even told my wife before to find someone to switch with instead of yes or no. If you ask around there might be someone who wants a different day off besides the 4th, good luck!

Doesn't work that way in my store. There's very few people who know how to work produce. We are one of those places once you're in a department you are stuck there. Produce especially. Dairy and Frozen guys can go to stock if needed but my Department manager doesn't really like sharing. I do beer/Wine at times but it's the only thing my boss over there works with. 

Unfortunately no-one has the time nor patience and my Produce manager is very picky on people he wants. I also wouldn't say the other guys in those department are the most reliable and would more so say yes to switching with you and then not show up. All while throwing you under the bus. 

Most weddings suck - I’d personally use it as a reason to not attend.

Its my cousins wedding that Im  in it. This side of the family I like. Trust me if it was my dad's side I'd have zero issue working and just tell them there was an emergency and I had to work. 

Plus all the wedding I've been too have been great. 

Doesn't work that way in my store. There's very few people who know how to work produce. We are one of those places once you're in a department you are stuck there. Produce especially. Dairy and Frozen guys can go to stock if needed but my Department manager doesn't really like sharing. I do beer/Wine at times but it's the only thing my boss over there works with. 

Unfortunately no-one has the time nor patience and my Produce manager is very picky on people he wants. I also wouldn't say the other guys in those department are the most reliable and would more so say yes to switching with you and then not show up. All while throwing you under the bus. 
More reason to quit. You've spent years complaining about your job in the Eagles thread, and sometimes you pop over here with more complaints. If your job makes you this unhappy, it's not worth the aggravation. 

Maybe get a job that isn't at a grocery store so you can get your 2-3 weeks paid time off? 

Trust me thats my goal. Retail sucks. I developed Elbow tendinitis from checking groceries and my store director and book keeper are giving me a hard time about it. Called the Union and got insulted by my Book Keeper and Store Director of how I'm not a "Team Player" which is BS because guess who saves them more times then not? Yep me. I come in when someone calls out, I'm the one asking for more hours, I',m the one who stays when there's a call out etc especially when I'm filling in for people who they lack the balls to fire. They can spare me the Team Player BS. I'm the player in a video game like Madden if they had special abilities for players I'd have the team player gold skill and high ratings for utility role. Honestly maybe se if I can get a job where I can work from home most times maybe go in once a week or when theres meetings etc would work best for me. 

The whole pandemic and political climate have made the retail job even worse. Customers are like 1OOx's worse then they were before. 

So, what exactly are the perks of this job? Is it worthwhile?  Seems like there are quite a few schedule issues.  Can you make similar $$ with a better quality of life elsewhere?

Perks: 

So let me start off if you didn't know I am Autist with Aspergers but high functioning. I don't drive and I can walk from my house to work without taking any public transit or Uber. 

My Benefits? Some are better then my parents friends who work 9-5 jobs with better pay. My last Dental appointment to fix a Cavity was a $5 copay same as when I had X-rays and normal visit teeth clean. Very good Vision plan. Dr Medical could be a bit better but it's worth it. 

I make close to $15 an hour right now and higher ranking in terms of seniority in the store. 18 yrs end of the month 

I've also developed some close friends from work that are actual friends who have defended and protected me over the yrs with my Disability when higher ups have tried to take advantage of me. Most of the regular customers know me from being there so long and when they don't see me for awhile ask where I am. 

Like I posted above I'm going to look into a Meat/Deli place in the same shopping center a few friends from HS and a former coworker work at. The Owner there has been there for yrs and works with people's schedules. I'm going there on my off day on Thurs and hope to talk to the manager. Tell them my situation currently and see if they can work something out. I'm horrible with change and the job is a comfort zone right now for me. I also only have an associates degree and trying to find something that pays similar to what I make plus the benefits which I currently need right now is the big issue. Also logistics of travel and such. If I could and found a friend who was single and willing to live in the city I could probably just go get a job working for the Italian Cafe I frequent and they also own a Pizza Shop down the street. The baristas make good money and I can have sports in the background on the weekends when I work. 

More reason to quit. You've spent years complaining about your job in the Eagles thread, and sometimes you pop over here with more complaints. If your job makes you this unhappy, it's not worth the aggravation. 

Honestly given the my situation currently if you read the post just above this I'd had quit yrs ago. They are lucky I stayed as long as I have. I'd had quit 3-4 yrs ago but then heard my Store Manager was going to retire soon and stayed on. More so just to see who'd take over and see if it was worth staying and maybe better my situation especially if it was going to be someone I worked with before and knew me well enough. However to this day my 74 Yrs old store manager is still here. His son is married with Kids not sure if the daughter is. His wife separated from him because he wouldn't retire. Unfortunately I was given bad info at the time. The situation also got a lot better when my old Assistant Store Manager was there after she had interned at our store. After she left the place has gone hell in a hand basket. The dude is a lot better then a ton of store managers in my company. He just hates confrontation and doesn't have the balls to stand up to certain people who walk all over him. And he's your typical kiss ### to the higher ups boss. Anytime they are in there he follows them like a puppy dog. He's that boss with the higher ups that everyone hates when it comes to that stuff. In one way it's good as they don't come as much but its bad because he acts like a clown before they come in acting the Queen of England is coming in. 

I was also about to transfer stores before an incident at that store happened and the manager there had to be put elsewhere. The problem wasn't his fault it was to protect him a 3 other people as a employee was fired and came in making some pretty disturbing threats. So for the manager and the others involved safety they moved them to other stores. Only other option besides quitting is seeing if I could get full time produce at a buddy of mine store down the street where he needs help. He works later so I could take the earlier shifts and I would have the scheduling issues I have now. Downfall to that is it's in a worse area and I'll have to take public or uber. 

@DJackson10

so, to paraphrase:

- decent benefits, but not unusually good

- $15/hr, with seniority after 18 yrs, but you are often denied desired time off

- camaraderie, team play

- you prefer the devil you know to the one you don’t 

- close to home

is that accurate?

through discomfort comes growth and progress.  In your case it seems as if change would be very good for you.

good luck

Honestly given the my situation currently if you read the post just above this I'd had quit yrs ago. They are lucky I stayed as long as I have. I'd had quit 3-4 yrs ago but then heard my Store Manager was going to retire soon and stayed on. More so just to see who'd take over and see if it was worth staying and maybe better my situation especially if it was going to be someone I worked with before and knew me well enough. However to this day my 74 Yrs old store manager is still here. His son is married with Kids not sure if the daughter is. His wife separated from him because he wouldn't retire. Unfortunately I was given bad info at the time. The situation also got a lot better when my old Assistant Store Manager was there after she had interned at our store. After she left the place has gone hell in a hand basket. The dude is a lot better then a ton of store managers in my company. He just hates confrontation and doesn't have the balls to stand up to certain people who walk all over him. And he's your typical kiss ### to the higher ups boss. Anytime they are in there he follows them like a puppy dog. He's that boss with the higher ups that everyone hates when it comes to that stuff. In one way it's good as they don't come as much but its bad because he acts like a clown before they come in acting the Queen of England is coming in. 

I was also about to transfer stores before an incident at that store happened and the manager there had to be put elsewhere. The problem wasn't his fault it was to protect him a 3 other people as a employee was fired and came in making some pretty disturbing threats. So for the manager and the others involved safety they moved them to other stores. Only other option besides quitting is seeing if I could get full time produce at a buddy of mine store down the street where he needs help. He works later so I could take the earlier shifts and I would have the scheduling issues I have now. Downfall to that is it's in a worse area and I'll have to take public or uber. 
Why aren’t you a manager in some capacity?

@DJackson10

so, to paraphrase:

- decent benefits, but not unusually good

- $15/hr, with seniority after 18 yrs, but you are often denied desired time off

- camaraderie, team play

- you prefer the devil you know to the one you don’t 

- close to home

is that accurate?

through discomfort comes growth and progress.  In your case it seems as if change would be very good for you.

good luck

Yes very accurate right there. TY 

I'm not quitting given the fact I need the job and I can't find anywhere that has the benefits and wages I make that make sense. It's a good job but with all retail can be frustrating at times
How has the store been doing in hiring new employees? Steady stream of applications or few ? I’m guessing they need you just as much as you need them and $15 with your years and loyalty seems a little light. What do you think would happen if you called in sick? What’s their Covid policy on home tests?

How has the store been doing in hiring new employees? Steady stream of applications or few ? I’m guessing they need you just as much as you need them and $15 with your years and loyalty seems a little light. What do you think would happen if you called in sick? What’s their Covid policy on home tests?
If I denied a day off and that person subsequently called in sick for that same day they’d lose their job. 

Also, when did he request this day off? How long has he known he’s in this wedding? These things are kind of planned in advance. If his boss knew about it and still scheduled him to work that’s one thing, but if he waited until the schedule was done, especially around a holiday, and then went to him and said, “oh yeah, I need these days off,” that’s kind of annoying and unprofessional on his end. 

If I denied a day off and that person subsequently called in sick for that same day they’d lose their job. 

Also, when did he request this day off? How long has he known he’s in this wedding? These things are kind of planned in advance. If his boss knew about it and still scheduled him to work that’s one thing, but if he waited until the schedule was done, especially around a holiday, and then went to him and said, “oh yeah, I need these days off,” that’s kind of annoying and unprofessional on his end. 
I agree with you in a pre- Covid work environment but it’s 2022 and it’s harder to fill spots. We’ve had hiring events where no one shows up and it’s for a government job with minimal qualifications, we probably have a 30% retention rate. I won’t be happy if someone did this but I’m not firing them for a rare occurrence. Strange times
Im not sure if the OP is nonunion or union, changes the equation some too. 

I agree with you in a pre- Covid work environment but it’s 2022 and it’s harder to fill spots. We’ve had hiring events where no one shows up and it’s for a government job with minimal qualifications, we probably have a 30% retention rate. I won’t be happy if someone did this but I’m not firing them for a rare occurrence. Strange times
Agreed. I think many people delude themselves into they are replaceable in their jobs, but with the current environment and hiring people not as easy, it skews it a little.  Most people are still replaceable, but maybe not as easily replaceable as they used to be.  

Take the day off. Maybe ask those who could take your shift if they would do so, and yours either give them a case of the choice or swap another time for them. 

if that doesn’t work, I can find work elsewhere and it could be the prompt needed to leave. 

Agreed. I think many people delude themselves into they are replaceable in their jobs, but with the current environment and hiring people not as easy, it skews it a little.  Most people are still replaceable, but maybe not as easily replaceable as they used to be.  
Yep. I know it takes us 6 months to replace someone. And many qualified people want to work with us. 

I worked in the produce department in high school, it's not that complicated.  

Perks: 

So let me start off if you didn't know I am Autist with Aspergers but high functioning. I don't drive and I can walk from my house to work without taking any public transit or Uber. 
For a lot of you guys busting his balls, I think we should have some compassion for our guy here. I am by no means an expert with Autism/Aspergers, but one thing I do know is it's hard for some folks to reach a comfort level in everyday life.

And it sounds like our guy here is comfortable here. He has his routine. He knows his routine. And I believe those things are pretty important for a guy on that spectrum.

So just upping up and leaving is a HUGE ordeal for someone like this. 

For a lot of you guys busting his balls, I think we should have some compassion for our guy here. I am by no means an expert with Autism/Aspergers, but one thing I do know is it's hard for some folks to reach a comfort level in everyday life.

And it sounds like our guy here is comfortable here. He has his routine. He knows his routine. And I believe those things are pretty important for a guy on that spectrum.

I agree.  Him giving himself a little push could make a huge improvement  in his life

You're right... I always forget that....

mea culpa

my bad

my apologies

the real "wedding" already took place in Australia....so this is really one of those "receptions back home" for the people that didn't/couldn't attend what is basically what we know as a "destination wedding".....still a very important event for many, so it really shouldn't matter to a "boss" ....but it does take a little juice off it actually being a "wedding" that you are a part of or actually "in"....

sounds like a little lesson can be learned here that you maybe should have been a little more forceful with your "heads up" a few months ago or whatever.....does your company actually have an official way that you are supposed to "request time off"....if so, did you do that...?....sounds like maybe you didn't cause you say you just gave him the heads up and then you also mentioned that you could maybe work "earlier in the day" and then still go to the wedding, but then realized later that wasn't possible because of travel.....so if you just kind of mentioned it and then waited for your "schedule to come out" and saw you were on the schedule, you maybe didn't give a meaningful enough "heads up"...there may have been others that "officially" followed the company policy of "requesting time off", so they trumped you here on probably one of the more requested days off on the schedule....

you also seemed to mention that it is a part time job that was working almost full time hours....if you are indeed technically "part time" and getting those benefits....you should consider yourself very lucky.....many places don't offer benefits to part time employeees....so you being "part time" may be coming into play here as well, as other full time employees, probably asked for that day off as well.....

so with all that said here....I can see how it shook out this way....there is probably some shared blame here.....you maybe didn't do what you really needed to do, and your boss is kind of in a "I need somebody to work" situation, so you drew the short straw when things shook out....and they may be taking advantage of you a little bit, because they know your level of commitment to them and that you will just "deal with it" or accept it because of what the job means to you, and your comfort level, etc....

I wish you the best in whatever you decide....if you find another job great, but I know that is always scary and uncertain and nobody really likes change....sometimes there are some hidden benefits to a job, like your proximity/comfort level/etc that don't really have a price attached to it about how much the job is really "worth" to someone, but it sounds like some of those things are pretty important to you, which I can totally understand....but sometimes those hidden benefits also come with a cost....which in this case, the "cost" may be being told "sorry no you can't have that day off".....best of luck...

HellToupee said:

I'm not sure on applicants. I'm getting the typical BS hard to find people they did a job fair type thing but doesn't seem like it went great. My department manager also will only take someone who has open availability especially nights and works weekends which is hard to find. 

If I called in sick he'd probably call the bull####. Numerious people have pulled the Covid positive test. If I did that I'd have to do it sometime next week. a few days before hand. And they'd probably call me out on the BS anyway. I'm not sure if I had covid I need to bring in a note or proof though either. I could look it up or ask but I need to be careful who I ask too. 

We are now dealing with my coworker with a stomach issue he doesn't take care of who had issues last year and was out 4 months went home sick today and vomiting black so I don't know how long he'll be out for now. It's me my Back up, My manager and 2 other kids. One is Autistic like me very good at his job still learning ins and outs my Back up and I are doing what we can with him. He's knows a lot already and has been a success for us. But it's a bit hard as he won't really change his schedule too much for us. 

Grahamburn said:

If you read the OP I pretty much put in there I gave him a heads up on the wedding a few months ago. The only uncertainty was if I could work early that day and told him I wouldn't give him a definite yes till I knew. After plans were finalized in the last month of travel, when people needed to be there etc I told him hey I can't make it that day at all for work. So I've given him far in advance notice. 

This request is no different then if someone put in for a Vacation and traveling cross country 6 months in advance. They go to the boss 3 weeks prior to remind them hey I put this in and the boss goes "Oh yeah sorry I need you that week now you can't go." 

I've paid for hotel and everything so if I can't go to this wedding then I want to be fairly compensated by my job for money lost. 

HellToupee said:

I'm Union what makes this difficult is this department manager is my Union Rep in store. However some of the stuff I could do I could see my produce hours cut. 

Ghost Rider said:

No one is easily replaceable. Managers/owners/companies use this comment constantly but then realize later they F'd up and trying to replace said person is much harder. My mom and one other person both left their positions for other jobs at CHOP. Her old manager is still having a hard time finding anyone who can do their job. There aren't many people in my line of work who 

1. Literally reliable and never call out sick. I may show up late with notice but they know I'll be there

2. Can do some of the things I can do especially in the Beer/Wine Department as you need to be certified

3. I'm also in charge of all those holiday decorations you see in your local grocery store I do that at my store

4, I've been there long enough I can train new cart/baggers, train a cashier, train a stocker, etc 

5. I live like 5 mins from the store so can come in at a moments notice

6. I stay late or come in when needed

7. And there's a lot of stuff I know most of my coworkers don't know just because of my vast experience. 

I've tried transferring to a different store before and it was hard. My Union rep told me that my Store Manager said he wouldn't be able to replace me if I left. Since it wasn't for a promotion he was allowed to deny it. 

Also given the times now it's not easy to replace anyone. People aren't going to work Full time hours for Part time pay or non fair livable wages. It's not people don't want to work it's people aren' going to work for slave wages part time while working Full time hours. People are smartening up and Companies can't admit they need to pay more when they can. 

Users who are viewing this thread