What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal - Audible Alerts For Email At Night? (1 Viewer)

Do you have audible alerts on your phone at night so that an email would wake you up?

• Yes

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • No, but I'd consider it

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • No, I wouldn't even consider it

Votes: 54 37.2%
  • No, and that's insane to think someone would

Votes: 83 57.2%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I THINK I know the answer here but wanted to ask you guys.

Do you have audible alerts on your phone at night so that an email would wake you up?

Insanity, unless your job requires it of course.

Although I turn off all audible notifications on my phone, day or night. I'm in the habit of looking at it frequently enough where things aren't missed for too long.

I have a friend that would get legitimately pissed if someone texted him "too early", even on a weekday, and we're not talking 6am. Turn off your sounds if you're that sensitive.

Hell no. I work for a manufacturing company and get about 300 emails a day. There’s no way I’d want my phone dinging all night. 

No cell phones in our bedroom.  If it were up to me, there would be no screens or devices of any kind, but my wife has taken to watching her shows on a tablet in bed the past few years. 

Edit: I don’t have any audible alerts on my phone, day or night, for anything.  There is a small icon alert for texts or emails, but no sound from my phone other than ringtone when someone calls. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Most (all) phones should have settings that you can set so that if someone calls twice in a row the second one will go through or phone calls from certain numbers only. 

I have my notifications turned off at night but with no land line, I do worry a bit about not being able to be reached in case of emergency. 

There's a great app called "Sound Profile" that I started using a while ago before it was easy to adjust settings for volumes at different times.  I still use it as you can save certain profiles with preset volumes/alerts.  My night one turns off email and text alerts, still allows for rings but lowers the volume.  Every once in a while I forget to turn it on before I go to sleep (you can actually set it to do at a certain time but I don't do that) but after the first one comes in, I turn it off.

I'm guessing this has to do with you sending emails out in the middle of the night as your email has been the one to remind me to turn it on.  Is someone actually complaining about that and that's what prompted this thread?  If so, they are nuts. 

Never have any audible email alerts set. Text alerts are but we both leave our phones in the kitchen to charge and I don't think it would wake anyone up. Emergency would have to  be a call.

I always set my phone to Silent at night... Work for a World wide company where emails are coming in at all hours of the night..

No way in :censored: am I going to get woken up for each email.

No way. Only thing I'd do that for is extreme circumstances. Sick/dying family, hugely important business deal.....probably a few other exceptions, but that's really it.

I keep my phone by my bed for the alarm.  My phone is always set to no notifications for email and vibrate only for texts.  I do get annoyed if someone texts in the middle of the night since everyone who has my phone # also has my email.  

I voted I'd consider it, for rare occasions where there was something urgent expected.  But then they could just call me.  So I want to change my vote to never.  

I have my phone on vibrate 24/7 and currently don't get work email on my phone.  If I had a different job, I'd consider it if it was fully necessary... but I doubt it would be.

I don't get audible alerts for emails ever. I have four different email accounts. Day job email. Personal email. Emails for two small companies I run. All that #### can wait. Hell, my phone won't make a noise after 10 pm unless you are one of a very select few in a list in an app that keeps my phone quiet. 

Wouldn't really matter for me.  My phone stays downstairs on the kitchen counter at night and my bed is upstairs at the other end of the house.  But I usually have audible alerts off anyway during the working day.

Emails are for work or chit chat. They can and will wait until business hours.

Like others, I get emails from clients or family/ friends from all over the world- so no way I'm reacting to something in the middle of the night. And as a residential architect, in spite of the bs my clients think I need to know about in the middle of the night (it's too hot! It's too cold! The light bulb went out! I left the bath running and it overflowed!... all emails or texts I've received in the middle of the night from clients). Nothing in my job description or skill set about emergency plumbing or electrical visits.

If its important enough to wake me up- call. Oherwise, goodnight and good luck 

Wouldn't really matter for me.  My phone stays downstairs on the kitchen counter at night and my bed is upstairs at the other end of the house.  But I usually have audible alerts off anyway during the working day.
strange, i do the opposite.  i stay downstairs on the kitchen counter while i tuck my phone into bed upstairs.

but, S.....my wife has a global job and if you start reacting to email alerts in the middle of the night, well.........you open flood gates.  her feeling is, it’s 9a somewhere in the world.  one of the reasons actually we are relocating to europe, she’ll be more in the middle of this mess.  just wish the world had 1 set time, like the u.s. should.

Automated emails make sense to come through in the middle of the night so if I had that set to audible I'd probab...definitely murder everyone. 

WTF?  I don't have alerts for email during the day.  Yes I have work that depends on email, but, if it's that important pick up the dam phone and call me. Email is for less trivial, to do later items.

I THINK I know the answer here but wanted to ask you guys.

Unless you are in a business where something urgent for work (ie you are a reporter) necessitates it, no way. I almost always have my phone on vibrate regardless. Having phones go off in meetings or presentations is poor form.

Users who are viewing this thread