What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do You Usually Watch TV While Eating a Meal? (1 Viewer)

Do you usually watch TV while eating a meal?

• Yes

Votes: 75 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 45 37.5%

• Total voters
No. Seems weird to me to do so. What do you all watch? Don't you talk to each other? I mean, we will watch a movie and eat pizza sometimes, but all the time seems wrong

Depends.

This time of year we always eat outside. Usually have a TV on with a game on of some kind. During the winter or cold/rainy days we will eat inside. Sometimes in front of the TV. Sometime in the dining room.

We are versatile and able to eat under any circumstance or location.

Family together - no, and we eat in kitchen or dining room. Just me - yes, and don’t you dare tell my wife I’m eating a meal on “her” new sofa.

"usually" no

even if it's just my four, we'll mute or turn the tv off when everyone is at the table eating.

If we eat together TV will be on and can be seen from kitchen. House is "open" so you can see the TV from half the downstairs. But I wouldn't say we pay close attention to it.

But we don't eat together often because of schedules. So if it's just me and daughter most likely yes its why we have the fancy wood tray tables lol

No. Seems weird to me to do so. What do you all watch? Don't you talk to each other?

You generally watch the same stuff you'd watch anyway. Avoid stuff like Dr. Pimple Popper or raw gore or anything like that.

This might vary person to person, but: Some can eat a meal, follow a television program, and converse simultaneously. I mean, yes, you will sometimes miss some dialogue, or need someone in the room to repeat something. And you don't discuss something of life importance over a TV meal. But for easy-breezy everyday chat of little import ... no problem. Besides, with streaming TV, you can "rewind" a bit of the TV program if you really need to see/hear something again.

Usually, no. And I don't usually eat at the table or with the family (pseudo empty-nesters).

No. Seems weird to me to do so. What do you all watch? Don't you talk to each other?

You generally watch the same stuff you'd watch anyway. Avoid stuff like Dr. Pimple Popper or raw gore or anything like that.

This might vary person to person, but: Some can eat a meal, follow a television program, and converse simultaneously. I mean, yes, you will sometimes miss some dialogue, or need someone in the room to repeat something. And you don't discuss something of life importance over a TV meal. But for easy-breezy everyday chat of little import ... no problem. Besides, with streaming TV, you can "rewind" a bit of the TV program if you really need to see/hear something again.
We always do a rewatch during dinner for this exact reason. We save new shows for when we sit down later in the night but for dinner it is always a rewatch of a favorite show. We rewatch every episode in order until it is done and then move on to another rewatch.

The only slight change is if we slip in something food related like watching Top Chef which we enjoy talking about while watching and eating.

Yes, this basically became our regular practice after marriage and most certainly after kids where my wife and I will eat when they go to bed and we both just need some quiet. We usually watch a lighter show or something we've seen before so there's some small talk usually.

I will say that growing up, when we were little kids ... my mom would make dinner and serve it on the kitchen table and all that.

The family gradually got away from all-at-the-table eating. I can't remember a specific age where the page turned ... but for sure by the time I was in 3rd grade or so. That was about the time when my older sisters were out of the house frequently during the dinner hour (we never had an enforced 'gotta be home for dinner' rule). By the time I was in junior high, us kids all had different afternoon/evening schedules, and I ate a lot of dinners alone at the kitchen table with a book, magazine, or newspaper.

A few families that I knew (including my now in-laws) never really maintained a ready-to-eat-at kitchen table as such. The kitchen table was used to pile stuff onto, and was rarely cleared. You either ate standing up in the kitchen or you ate with a TV tray (optional) in the living room.

Don't really do family meals unless it's eating out. We all kinda fend for ourselves. So I usually bring my meal into my office to watch TV and scarf it down. If the wife isn't home I'll watch the living room TV while eating. The kids are almost always on their devices.

So yeah, 100% of the time I'd say.... unless eating out. Workday lunches I'll browse FBG articles.

No, although during football season, I'll leave the night games on in the front room where I can sorta see it from my spot on the kitchen table. Outside of NFL and an occasional streaming show that sucks me in, I don't watch TV at all. I quit all news, news shows, network TV, etc.

Also, no phones when we're eating dinner together.

Eating outside in the back yard during summer is my preference.
Yeah this is probably our one exception. Occasionally, when the weather is ideal, we'll eat outside in the summer as a family for "pizza night" (every Friday night) or if I do some grilling.

Eating outside in the back yard during summer is my preference.
Yeah this is probably our one exception. Occasionally, when the weather is ideal, we'll eat outside in the summer as a family for "pizza night" (every Friday night) or if I do some grilling.
Shark tip: Start grilling your pizzas. Let everybody build their own pie, then grill it up for them. WIN WIN!

Live alone so yes.

Same here, live alone, so eat at the living room table. Odd thing, I normally just stick with watching YouTube recommendations while I eat, saving any shows or movies until I am finished eating, cleaning up and settling down for the evening.

Hell no. We expanded our kitchen a few years ago, taking over the adjacent den where we basically had a TV right next to the table. In the renno, I made sure there was absolutely no TV within viewing distance of the table. We add the new den on the other side of the house so it worked out and I love it.

Voted No. But more like hardly ever eat breakfast or lunch with the TV on. Dinner is probably 50/50.

I will say that growing up, when we were little kids ... my mom would make dinner and serve it on the kitchen table and all that.

The family gradually got away from all-at-the-table eating. I can't remember a specific age where the page turned ... but for sure by the time I was in 3rd grade or so. That was about the time when my older sisters were out of the house frequently during the dinner hour (we never had an enforced 'gotta be home for dinner' rule). By the time I was in junior high, us kids all had different afternoon/evening schedules, and I ate a lot of dinners alone at the kitchen table with a book, magazine, or newspaper.

A few families that I knew (including my now in-laws) never really maintained a ready-to-eat-at kitchen table as such. The kitchen table was used to pile stuff onto, and was rarely cleared. You either ate standing up in the kitchen or you ate with a TV tray (optional) in the living room.
Same here. Family table dinners as young kids, but it eventually ended as we grew up and were on different schedules.

And as that happened, the kitchen table fluctuated between a study area and a crap storage area.

We try to avoid having the t.v. on during dinner. Will do so occasionally if there's a live sporting event we want to see.

Hell no. My wife, 2 ten year olds, and often my MIL all eat together for dinner at the dining room table. We typically eat breakfast together too. TV is in the den upstairs.

Maybe, maybe if I'm eating alone, but it's then more likely my phone or laptop.

We don't have a tv in the dining/living room, but we have a projector. If it's already fired up then we don't turn it off, but if it's not on yet then we don't turn it on. I'd say 20/80 during the week and the opposite on the weekend. If we're on the patio much more likely to have music than tv.

Before kids - every single night.
After kids - only on occasional weekends when we do take-out and a movie.

close to many others here

when we had kids in the house we made a point to sit down and eat together without the tv on as often as we could (which was most of the time)

as they got older and we got into more and more activities and sports it was tougher

now that they are out of the house mostly (daughter home from college) we typically eat and watch tv together

as they got older and we got into more and more activities and sports it was tougher
:yes:

We even **cringe** put the kids in charge of prepping ribs yesterday. I got everything ready, but they had to get them to the grill and monitor til my wife and I exchanged cameos at home. We weren't eating dinner til 9 cause all of them had baseball games in different locations and that was the only thawed meat we had in the fridge. To their credit they didn't **** it up either. But that's beside the point - dinner rules are no mas in this house. I was just happy to have edible ribs, so yeah kids put on the NBA finals.

Before empty nest - never. We always ate at the table together with no electronics. No TV, phones not allowed. Now it’s just the two of us so it’s more casual. I talk to my wife plenty - doesn’t have to be at dinner too

No. We were never extremists about controlling "screen time" or anything, but we've always had dinner set aside as family time with no electronics. Just supper, not any other meal.

Prefer a light show when we eat together over music usually.
A light show would be an episode of Shark Tank or we will stream a podcast on youtube or something we enjoy lately are the old Siskel and Ebert reviews going back into the 70s
A movie they can't stand that we actually enjoy is "The Secret of my Success" vintage Michal J Fox from the 80s.
You name the movie and it's almost certain to be on there from whenever they got started.

Users who are viewing this thread