What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When an owner says he doesn't see a trade (1 Viewer)

3quinox

Footballguy
in your experience does that just mean there is no trade that can be done to get a player or just that there isn't enough value offered?

It means he doesn't see a deal that makes sense for both teams......or like the other guy said its a nice way of saying he wouldn't trade the guy you want for your entire roster, lol.

I have actually had an instance where I would not trade my top player that he wanted for the other guys entire roster due to 16 man roster limits, and his team was terrible.

He's trying to save you both time. There's not enough value offered and he doesn't see that changing.

There could be trades he'd accept that he thinks would create a worse hole on your team, or he's already strong where your team has trade depth, or he doesn't like your guys, or your initial offer was so low he assumes you're fishing and not serious about a legitimate trade.

Unless you think this owner views player value radically different than you do, or you made an offer not worth countering, there's probably not a trade here.

in your experience does that just mean there is no trade that can be done to get a player or just that there isn't enough value offered?
I've responded to owners in this way on several occasions. For me, it means that what he offered was not close to enough and I couldn't find enough talent on his roster to come up with an alternative offer, or the few players I was interested in were his top players who I knew he wouldn't part with.

The former. If he thought a trade could be done he would have sent you a counter offer. He is telling you he can't work a deal for whatever reason (either not wanting to move the player or not interested in dealing for what you have).

It could also mean he's the type of owner who doesn't trade unless he's getting more than fair value for his player. Lets be realistic, guy don't make lateral moves. They want to be over compensated and be able to come here and post about how their such a great shark they got someone to pay them more then their guy was worth. It's the nature of the game.

It could also mean he's the type of owner who doesn't trade unless he's getting more than fair value for his player. Lets be realistic, guy don't make lateral moves. They want to be over compensated and be able to come here and post about how their such a great shark they got someone to pay them more then their guy was worth. It's the nature of the game.
True, but people who make absurdly lopsided trade offers deserve to be mocked. I usually do so by countering their ridiculous offer with a trade offer of my kicker for their stud RB.

Excellent post.

I've certainly said this.

To me, as somebody who isn't necessarily out to fleece everybody I trade with, and who doesn't so badly overvalue his own players as to make them untradable at any cost, here's what it means for me:

I value the guy you're trying to get pretty highly, and to downgrade him to whatever you're offering/his current backup, I'd need compensation at a specifically weaker area of my roster so that my overall team improves -- else, why do a trade? But your roster doesn't have players that allow me to upgrade those areas of my team.

Last edited by a moderator:
or he's already strong where your team has trade depth,
Many of the offers I get in my redraft league ask for a player where I am already thin and offer me more of what I am already strong at. I am generally polite in responding but I can't help thinking, "Did you even look at my team beyond just identifying what you want"?

Usually, I say this when I can't find anything worth trading the player for on the other person's roster. If it doesn't improve my team, I don't make the move. That doesn't mean I expect the other owner to overpay, but the deal has to make sense. I don't want to trade draft picks for your LB, because I already have 7 LBs. I don't want to trade my one legitimate RB for a WR when I already have 4 strong WR. Etc.

Likewise, in some of my salary/contract leagues, I receive offers that may make sense in terms of player value, but they (and potential counter-offers) aren't viable financially.

It means there isn't anyone on the other owner's roster I am interested in ( market values). It also means that given past offers from this owner I know our values on players are close.

For me it would mean I don't see a win-win trade. I don't see anything that helps me that I would do if I owned your team.

For me it would mean I don't see a win-win trade. I don't see anything that helps me that I would do if I owned your team.
This is my take as well. When I tell another owner I do not see a trade, I mean I do not see a win/win scenario. For example I have an extra quality WR and need a TE. I am going to look for someone that has an extra TE and needs a WR instead of shopping one of my starting RBs for a TE. The best and easiest trades to make are when both teams are improved. If any trade you would offer the other guy is not going to improve his team it is almost always a waste of time to even discuss it. Hence, "I do not see a trade".

In my experience, even though it is limited, it is because Team A likes Player A, who is a stud and isn't interested in anyone else. Team B likes Player B and Player C a little but both are several tiers down from the stud. Team B would like to do a deal but isn't willing to take a bunch of maybes for a stud and Team A only wants the stud

I do this regularly in response to trades and the primary reason is because I already know how I value that particular player differs GREATLY from how they are perceived by everyone else. Especially in dynasty leagues, if I absolutely love a player and finally acquire him, I generally hate getting trade inquires about that player. It always ends the same. "How much for Amendola?" .... "I dont want to trade him" .... "just give me a price" ..... I name a huge price .... "Are you crazy, he's just a possession guy on a new team thats always injured, he's worth nowhere near that!" .... ummm ok?

So ya, I would say it's to save wasting their time and yours.

Pretty simple...

He is too nice to say no or too lazy to make a counter.
So, he doesn't see an obvious trade, but he should still make a counter offer? I don't really understand that. Seems like he's being straightforward rather than lazy.

I guess there are cases where if the approached owner took some time to analyze both rosters he could come up with an attractive counter-offer -- but seems kind of lazy that type of work wasn't put into the initial offer.

Users who are viewing this thread