What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When was the last time you wrote a hand written letter? (1 Viewer)

Ned

Footballguy
My kids are away at summer camp this week with no access to electronics.  So the only way to contact them is through the old fashioned Pony Express.  I contemplated typing/printing a letter, but that felt lame so I decided to hand write them both a personalized letter.  Holy crap, this hand writing stuff sucks!  I wrote a 3 paragraph (1 page) letter and my forearm is on fire. :lol:    

Where's auto-correct when you need it? :loco:  

It made me wonder when the last time I did this and I can't think back to any more recent than when I was in boot camp in 1999.  

my ex in Seattle - insists on only this method of communicating.  not even phone calls - just letters/care packages, etc.

a lovely old soul. 

ETA: yes, there are Polaroids  :pics:

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to always send handwritten thank you notes and keep them on hand for a lot of things. 

I recently visited my hometown and stayed with a friend. His wife had made up a room for me, cranked up the AC in the room hours before I arrived and had towels and toiletries laid out for me. 

That was the last handwritten note I sent (to his wife thanking her for the hospitality). 

People seem to appreciate them being that they are more personal than a text or call and take a little extra effort. 

Wrote my son a 3 page letter just last week.  Much more personal than typed or email.

My kids are away at summer camp this week with no access to electronics.
When I was like 9 or 10 I was away at a soccer camp for 2 weeks.  About the 5th day or so I got a hand written letter from my dad asking if I was enjoying it, playing plenty of soccer, making new friends, and other similar questions.  I wrote "yes" or "no" in the margins beside all of his questions and mailed it right back to him.

When I was stationed in Japan back in '96 I wrote my dad a letter on my brand new 386 25mhz desktop (using cursive font to give it that 'personal' touch)....my dad was old school and a couple weeks later he lambasted me in a handwritten letter telling me I better take the time to respond with handwritten letters...that stuck with me.

Most recently my son was graduating high school and had a senior retreat whereby they opened a whole bunch of letters from family members and read them around the fire...I wrote him a 5 page letter and although it hurt my arthritic hand, he told me afterwards how much it meant to him and how he'd keep it...don't know if a Word document would have the same effect.

I used to always send my kids at camp a card with a hand written note in it. They told me this year to not send anything because no one else got mail and they felt stupid. 

So last year. 

A couple of months ago I wrote a few letters to my son while he was at boot camp. As a family we sent at least one letter every day. Usually I would type them on the computer and include a photo of an old car or truck (He wants to restore one when he gets the time and money) or a couple of cartoons. I was on a couple of business trips during that time and didn't always have access to a printer, so I hand wrote to him. I even took the time to draw a hot rod at the bottom of each one. He said he enjoyed receiving them and the time I put into each one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly a letter, but I hand-wrote a card to my girlfriend last week for our anniversary of meeting.

6th grade, to Sandy Koufax as a school project. I picked his name out of a hat and I was the only one in my class to get a reply. Signed photo! I forget what types of celebs my classmates picked, probably people like Mr. T and Dan Rather. I had no idea who in the #### Koufax was and pronounced it Cow-fax.

I think I still have about 20 love letters from this chick in Alberta who I met online a long time ago. I assumed she wanted US citizenship so I was wary. But it was all of this elaborate stuff incorporating music lyrics, her own poetry, and the day to day stuff we were sharing. Surreal to think about it now.

2008, letters from Iraq. My wife could barely read most of each letter  (my handwriting sucks)

Then in 2012 in Afghanistan I just sent post cards. Bought a few packs Like These, that way at least the kids could enjoy the picture. 

I'd send 50 this year.
I almost did. But then I thought I should do that thing that shows I respect their choices. Then after reading this thread I thought next year I should make some notes of other kids I know who will be there and send something to them too. 

Every few months my brother and I correspond via written letter.  We write in old english, write on parchment, and wax seal our envelopes.  The topics we discuss in these letters we never mention in person, nor do we ever mention the letters themselves in person.

Here is an excerpt from my latest letter to give an idea.

Good tidings young brother!  It is truly paramount to hear from you.  Too many moons have passed since our last repartee.

Please in advance excuse my scripture.  It has been many ages since I last put quill to parchment.  I am sad to say I hath become much too dependent on the ink printing machine of late.  Lo these problems of our first world.

Indeed tis great that this glorious spring season is upon us at last!  Though of late it feels more of summer as the warm days hath made for poor times snow sliding on wood planks.  Twas into the 70's of degrees today as I am told by the temperature machine.  Maniacal!

I am sorry to hear of the vexation of young <redacted> of Titusville with her employer.  But surely, the timing is keen with your plans to try your hands at the frontier!  I loathe to hear of your distress in finding an employer in the great growing state of Californ-i-a.  It knows how to party but t'would seem that much of the gold in that land hath been claimed.  I welcome you to try your hand in the land of the Utes.  There is much gold to be had here, as well as many splendid winter activities.

My wife and I bought our grandmothers some nice stationery. We write them when they write us. One in particular writes every one to two months.

Users who are viewing this thread