What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When Will Internal Combustion Engine Cars Account For Less Than 5% Of New Car Sales In The US? (1 Viewer)

When Will Internal Combustion Engine Cars Account For Less Than 5% Of New Car Sales In The US?

• Total voters
2035 although I believe 2040 is the best answer.(but not an option)

Thank you.

Do we know what the % is today for ICE engine car sales in the US?

Can you elaborate how and why you think it'll go from that number to 5% in 17 years?
This is from Ernst And Young

• Despite headwinds, combined electric vehicle (EV) sales in the US, China and Europe to outstrip all other engine sales by 2030
  • By 2040, internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles will shrink to less than 1% of overall sales
  • Europe is expected to lead electric vehicle sales volumes until 2024, with China taking the lead from 2025 onward.

Not in my lifetime.

People are buying Fore Runners and Civics brand new, they are expecting to be driving them in ten years time.

I saw a very cool video of some Chinese (Korean) startup where cars were sitting on these racks, and a charged battery was swapped out underneath. So, fully charged in less time than a gas fill up.

Right now, people buying these cars used have to wonder how much life is left in a battery. No no no, we need to be able to swap these out for a charged one.

Another related, but very important question I think.

How is the electricity in the US mostly generated?

My best friend loves his Tesla. I have another friend who tells the Tesla owner his car is effectively powered by coal.
Coal is 20%

Also - I hate this about EV haters. Yes, electricity is generated from fossil fuels and our EVs are powered by those fuels. However, there are advancements to renewable all the time. Eventually, we (hopefully) can get to 100% renewables to generate electricity. The internal combustion engine has zero chance at that

I ask this question because I honestly don't know: how much to the replacement batteries cost? And when do they need to be replaced?
Batteries are covered under warranty for 100K miles (at least on my new Bolt). Replacement cost is ridiculous I think, but I don't expect to have to replace it, just as I wouldn't expect to replace a transmission or engine in a similarly priced ICE vehicle
Ok at 105K miles transmission vs batteries ball park pricing? I know transmission side - I don't know battery side......
I have seen costs from 5K - 20K depending on battery pack
Thanks. So it could be about the same or way more expensive based on some variables...... I think that needs to come down for Electric to really make a push (without it being mandated) - I drive cars well into the high 100s low 200s knowing I'll have some possible not cheap but not expensive repairs OR keeping it for 12-15 years

I saw a very cool video of some Chinese (Korean) startup where cars were sitting on these racks, and a charged battery was swapped out underneath. So, fully charged in less time than a gas fill up.
I love this model. There is/was a Chinese company (NIO) that was pushing this big time. You pull into a garage, and in like 2 minutes, a fully charged battery pack is swapped by some robot. You go on your way. I think that is a great model and wish it gained more traction

I love this model. There is/was a Chinese company (NIO) that was pushing this big time. You pull into a garage, and in like 2 minutes, a fully charged battery pack is swapped by some robot. You go on your way. I think that is a great model and wish it gained more traction

NIO, that's it. This is what we need here, people!!!

My best friend loves his Tesla. I have another friend who tells the Tesla owner his car is effectively powered by coal.

the mix depends on which power grid/market you're in but the national breakdown is roughly

40% natural gas
20% coal
20% nuclear
20% renewables (10% wind; 6% hydro; 3% solar; 1% other)

This is one of the things I expect. I mean some paradigm shifting thing that we aren't currently thinking of will make it a lot more feasible to migrate to these sooner than later.

It's like the move to the new gas cans. The first ones sucked, but now they've engineered them in a way that they are way better than the old ones.
Same with low flow shower heads, 1.8 gal toilets, LED lights, etc. etc.

Technology will find a way to fix most of the problems people are currently worried about.

Absolutely hate autonomous cars. Makes me think of the fat people in Wall E how everything is taken care of for them so they don't have to ththink.
What if autonomous cars can reduce the 46,000 deaths in auto accidents by 50%?
This, except change that number to something more like 95%. At some point, it's going to be illegal for people to operate their own vehicles, and folks will find it amazing that it was ever allowed. (I don't expect to live to see that, but I feel very confident about it.)
Thus eliminating a key freedom that lower people have to be able to control their own destiny. If another entity controls your movement then they can easily restrict it due to some perceived infraction. All in the name of "safety."

That's all I'll say about it because it will go back to political forum discussions that no one ever agrees with. Safety vs freedom.

Can you elaborate how and why you think it'll go from that number to 5% in 17 years?

• Despite headwinds, combined electric vehicle (EV) sales in the US, China and Europe to outstrip all other engine sales by 2030
  • By 2040, internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles will shrink to less than 1% of overall sales
  • Europe is expected to lead electric vehicle sales volumes until 2024, with China taking the lead from 2025 onward.
Man, that's quick.

Man, that's quick.
Yea, I wouldn't have guessed that at all, but I am sure those guys know the market way the hell better than us shmucks

Yea, I wouldn't have guessed that at all, but I am sure those guys know the market way the hell better than us shmucks
I'd like to see their methodology, because I am sure there is another smart guy out there poking holes in it.

Listening to a guy on the Car Dealership Guy podcast, and he was thinking not even close to anytime soon.

I think it's possible there's a plateau, where a bunch of people who wanted the tech run out and get it, and you have a lot of people that EV doesn't work for, and they would rather just see cheap gas.

China and Europe don't love their ICE cars like Americans do (exclude Germans).

It's like the move to the new gas cans. The first ones sucked, but now they've engineered them in a way that they are way better than the old ones.
Same with low flow shower heads, 1.8 gal toilets, LED lights, etc. etc.

Technology will find a way to fix most of the problems people are currently worried about.

I want my 3 gallon flush toilets back.

That seems like kind of an unfair dig on EVs. In practical terms, are they at least in part powered by fossil fuels? Sure. But IC vehicles are 100% powered by fossil fuels and can't operate any other way.

It's odd to me that people have such bad, uninformed opinions. just look at this thread "not in my lifetime" and "never."

So odd.

the mix depends on which power grid/market you're in but the national breakdown is roughly

40% natural gas
20% coal
20% nuclear
20% renewables (10% wind; 6% hydro; 3% solar; 1% other)

Very good info here. But even better is when you compare this to the numbers from 2000. In 2000 coal accounted for 52%, natural gas was only 16%, nuclear was about the same, and renewables only 9% (meaning they’ve over doubled in 2 decades).

So when you buy an ICE vehicle it will be powered 100% by gasoline today, tomorrow, and 20 years from now. If you buy an EV, assuming the same shifting of electricity generation in the US continues, it will continue to get “greener”.

I have seen this model but not sure how practical it is. I think it’s more likely we get to a point where you charge your car as fast as filling up a tank of gas

It's odd to me that people have such bad, uninformed opinions. just look at this thread "not in my lifetime" and "never."

So odd.

I mean the average age of this board has to be like 60…

I have seen this model but not sure how practical it is. I think it’s more likely we get to a point where you charge your car as fast as filling up a tank of gas

The EV space is moving awfully fast.

40 years ago most had no idea the impact that computing would have on our lives. The ICE will be laughed at in 20 years.

I wonder if there was a similar ignorance/misunderstanding by the horse and buggy people when the ICE came about?

"they'll never be a thing", "too expensive", "unsafe" etc. etc.

So odd.

I wouldn't take the Ernst and Young estimate as gospel trip. These guys work via agendas - all of the big consulting firms do. They can come up with any set of numbers they think they need to get more business out of a company or an industry.

I worked closely with McKinsey and Accenture for a large electric utility for a number of years in the electric deregulation effort and in the regulated sector as well.

I was working for a larger non-Bell local telephone company starting in the early 80s and turned down a sizable marketing job at Corning Glass way back in early 90s as they were banking on a "Big 3" report stating that the U.S. would have some ridiculous amount of fiber optic cable penetration by the year 2000.
I knew I didn't want the job as I flew into godforsaken Ithaca, NY in a small plane in the middle of a winter snow storm ...LOL so I was frank in telling them that those numbers were way off as those investments would have to be covered by local rate increases that companies wouldn't get in rate increases.
And also knew that I would be held to those growth figures - needless to say those "Big 3" estimates did not pan out.

In order for this to happen you need to also install infrastructure as readily available as gas stations. This will take some time as well especially as that technology changes to know what the requirements this infrastructure needs.

In order for this to happen you need to also install infrastructure as readily available as gas stations. This will take some time as well especially as that technology changes to know what the requirements this infrastructure needs.

the money follows quickly.

A prediction of 2040 means 17 years to put in the infrastructure to support, which IMHO is plenty of time.

Dont think this is correct. We will still be charging at our house overnight and there will be a sizable number of people who will never have to charge anywhere but their house.

This is great and all, but it doesn't address the question in the OP. Joe's not asking whether EVs are going to catch on or not -- obviously they're going to catch on, and I don't think anybody is denying that. The issue is how long is it going to take for ICEs to get completely shoved out of the market, to the point that they account for fewer than 5% of all new sales. For that to happen, we need for EVs to evolve to the point that they completely replace IC for the typical household who wants to be able to pull a boat to their cabin two states over a few times each summer.

We'll undoubtedly get there at some point. But it's worth noting that we've already successfully built self-driving vehicles, while battery technology continues to elude us. Autonomous vehicles are a logical next-step given our current computing technology. Batteries seem like a very different problem.

Dont think this is correct. We will still be charging at our house overnight and there will be a sizable number of people who will never have to charge anywhere but their house.
Totally disagree if the goal is to get to 95% plus of EV's. For that to happen you need the infrastructure support or people won't get to that point. Freedom is big to wander and you can't do that if you have to hard line in your trip to make sure you don't run out of "gas".

In fairness, this could be accomplished in two ways. We could make charging stations as ubiquitous as gas stations are today. Or we could make gas stations as rare and hard to find as charging stations are today. The first isn't going to happen any time soon, but the second could happen pretty easily. Gas stations aren't very profitable now, and it wouldn't take much to push a bunch of them over the edge. And once gas stations dry up a bit, some of the "convenience" arguments for IC go away. Maybe that's how we get to a tipping point that swings the market toward EVs.

For that to happen, we need for EVs to evolve to the point that they completely replace IC for the typical household who wants to be able to pull a boat to their cabin two states over a few times each summer.
The typical household does no such thing though, so maybe those holdouts are the 5%ers

i just don't have the vision for saying driving from NJ to Florida which I do every few years and having to stop for 45 minutes to charge my car.

I feel like that add so much wasted time on the trip
Don't forget that in addition to that 45 minutes you have to map our a specific route that may not be ideal because not every place has the right charging station. Until the infrastructure is in place this lack of freedom is a big stumbling block to getting to the level identified in the OP.

For that to happen, we need for EVs to evolve to the point that they completely replace IC for the typical household who wants to be able to pull a boat to their cabin two states over a few times each summer.
The typical household does no such thing though, so maybe those holdouts are the 5%ers
That's what I mean. You need to capture the bass-boat people to get to 95% market share. You can't get there by replacing people's going-to-the-store vehicle.

i just don't have the vision for say driving from NJ to Florida which I do every few years and having to stop for 45 minutes to charge my car.

Do you stop to eat when you do the drive? We road trip a lot. And when we drive we always stop every 3- 4 hours or so and let the dogs get out and we get some food and stretch our legs as well. No reason why we couldn’t do that and have our car charge at the same time.

That's what I mean. You need to capture the bass-boat people to get to 95% market share. You can't get there by replacing people's going-to-the-store vehicle.
But i think you can. The bass boat crew is a small percentage of the population. I don’t think you need to capture them to get to 95

i just don't have the vision for saying driving from NJ to Florida which I do every few years and having to stop for 45 minutes to charge my car.

Don't forget that in addition to that 45 minutes you have to map our a specific route that may not be ideal because not every place has the right charging station. Until the infrastructure is in place this lack of freedom is a big stumbling block to getting to the level identified in the OP.
Even if there is one every rest stop - I just don't like the "forced" wait.

I can make it in 3-4 stops with all them being shorter than one charge time...... I assume things will evolve but a 15 minute full charge needs to happen

In 10 years time you will not have to map out a specific route. There will be charging stations eveywhere.

i just don't have the vision for say driving from NJ to Florida which I do every few years and having to stop for 45 minutes to charge my car.

Do you stop to eat when you do the drive? We road trip a lot. And when we drive we always stop every 3- 4 hours or so and let the dogs get out and we get some food and stretch our legs as well. No reason why we couldn’t do that and have our car charge at the same time.
We stop the same interval 3ish hours. Its to pee and fill up...... Any food is consumed in the car....... We are a pit crew when it comes to travel stops in and out

~1100 miles - straight through is ~16 hours via google maps we did it 16.5 last time ..... got lucky with traffic

In fairness, this could be accomplished in two ways. We could make charging stations as ubiquitous as gas stations are today. Or we could make gas stations as rare and hard to find as charging stations are today.
This goes to the forcing to EV that I think will get the most push back. I still think the best way to convert people is to have this change be moderate. No need to eliminate one or the other and if you pull more to even it extends the resources that much further. There will always be the tech nerds that want to be on the cutting edge and there will always be the curmudgons that don't want change. The key is the middle group that wants the same flexibility as they have now and a technolgoy to be proven to meet this. If done right you will get there but forcing it is not the best way (even it turns out it may eventually have to happen as resources run out).

Very good info here. But even better is when you compare this to the numbers from 2000. In 2000 coal accounted for 52%, natural gas was only 16%, nuclear was about the same, and renewables only 9% (meaning they’ve over doubled in 2 decades).

So when you buy an ICE vehicle it will be powered 100% by gasoline today, tomorrow, and 20 years from now. If you buy an EV, assuming the same shifting of electricity generation in the US continues, it will continue to get “greener”.

no doubt - the key is going to be finding a reliable baseload generation source and a storable, callable generation as electricity demands do up and down like we have now.

Nuclear and coal are typical baseload types but coal is being phased out via legislation. Natural gas can be both baseload but is also more easily ramped up and down - or even started up from cold. Renewables get throw in the baseload but certain types aren't nearly as reliable for a steady amount of power (especially wind).

In 10 years time you will not have to map out a specific route. There will be charging stations eveywhere.
Which is exactly the infrastructure I am talking about that needs to be in place to have a chance at 95%

Even if there is one every rest stop - I just don't like the "forced" wait.

I can make it in 3-4 stops with all them being shorter than one charge time...... I assume things will evolve but a 15 minute full charge needs to happen
You are most certainly not alone in this thinking. And I get it.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my parents years ago about what car they were going to buy. They wanted to, and eventually did, get some huge *** Suburban or something similar. They live in a golf retirement community in Ft Myers. They drive to the grocery store and some restaurants and the beach on occasion (they also drive the 1/4 mile to the clubhouse and the 1/3 mile to the other restaurant in their community, but that is a different story). I told them to get something small and cheap for they don't need anything like what they wanted. Their response was they wanted to have enough space so we could all fit in their car. All of us being them, me, my wife, and our 2 kids. Thing is we visit them maybe two times every three years. So they decided to buy something they didn't need just to accommodate the few times a year (tops) they may need the extra space. They spent more money than they needed to. They waste more gas. The thing is a behemoth and a pain to maneuver around their community.

So I would ask the same thing of you. Your drive may take 18 hours rather than 16. But that is 1.5 hours extra every 1.5 years seems trivial. Especially if you factor in never having to go to a gas station leading up to that trip. Think of how many hours you save when all those 5-10 minute gas station stops never happen! :)

Users who are viewing this thread