What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When your season ends due to other owners not paying attention (1 Viewer)

Ha, I faced the Cooks owner this past week and I recall wondering if I would rather him start Cook or Mattison.  I was actually pleased (for about 15 minutes) when I saw he started Cook, as I thought he was in for a light workload even if he started.  I was wrong (and have solid propects for winning this week anyway.  Hooray me!)

For those saying they don't have time to make sure their players are playing, I call BS.  If you were in a $1M league, your family could be on fire and you'd still find time to submit your best lineup every week.  Nobody forced you to play FF.  If you are too busy, don't join, or at least co-own a team with someone who has the time.  It's one thing to make the wrong call (Cook vs Mattison), but players deemed inactive 90 minutes before kickoff is inexcusable.  If you can't check, assign someone who can.  And if you are commish, assign a fallback in case of emergency.

The Cook situation is not that big of a deal IMO. It was a game time decision and you are using revisionist history to complain about the results. I can live with a situation like this vs. a team starting someone on bye or a player list as O or D on the injury report. 

I guess this is just my personal philosophy that many disagree with, but I feel like if a guy is paying his dues to the league, he should be able to do what he wants. Hell, I don't even care if he tanks after being eliminated from the playoffs. He's just doing what is best for his team. (I know tanking is not the case here, I'm just saying, I don't care.) But of course, it's up to the league to decide on the rules, just saying that if I were in charge of a league there would be very few rules.

Hacking the server and changing the scores: too far.

But, making decisions (or non-decisions) on his own team that create a disadvantage for you: your life will never be perfect, get used to it.

What's next?: "Injuries are so frustrating and unfair, can't I just play Derrick Henry for the rest of the year and he automatically gets his average score from the games that he played?"

JOMO

That’s is why you should have/need weekly winners. More times than I care to admit I have recouped my league fees just by winning 4 to 5 weeks. Usually it was highest total points for the week.

I guess this is just my personal philosophy that many disagree with, but I feel like if a guy is paying his dues to the league, he should be able to do what he wants. Hell, I don't even care if he tanks after being eliminated from the playoffs. He's just doing what is best for his team. (I know tanking is not the case here, I'm just saying, I don't care.) But of course, it's up to the league to decide on the rules, just saying that if I were in charge of a league there would be very few rules.

But, making decisions (or non-decisions) on his own team that create a disadvantage for you: your life will never be perfect, get used to it.

What's next?: "Injuries are so frustrating and unfair, can't I just play Derrick Henry for the rest of the year and he automatically gets his average score from the games that he played?"

JOMO
So, if I pay, can i take bribes to bench my players against certain opponents?  Can I auction off my players?  What about the old trick where you create 2 separate accounts and buy 2 teams, then use one as a farm team for the other?  The integrity of the league comes before any one team.  The commish should be granted full authority to do anything it takes to make this happen, and when I say anything, I mean anything!

Next year my co-worker and I are going to co-commish a redraft.  We have already come up a few rules:
- Full payment before we draft
- First offense of starting a player that was known to be inactive 90 minutes prior to kickoff - a commish will play your next best player and warn you
- Second offense - booted from league, commishes take over your team, and you lose your money

You don't agree to these rules, you don't play, simple as that.

There's a few things you can do here:

a) Switch to all play all each week, or total points. Or at least have them decide some proportion of the prize pool to keep everything live if you want to keep the H2H element

b) End of season toilet bowl with some negative consequences

c) Some sort of anti-tanking deposit which is forfeited in the event of being a clear ****. This does open up some subjectivity and you'd need to be careful with them, I started Mattison this week knowing Cook was active (albeit my other options were garbage and I was punting on an aggravation to the Cook injury and/or a more even workload split) and have been tempted to take a zero at a position this year and have done in the past

Edit - in all these I am assuming redraft, in dynasty it's more anything goes

Last edited by a moderator:

JOMO
Well, we violently disagree. They guy who tanks on purpose after being eliminated is a guy I don’t want in our league. It’s selfish. Actions affecting others. Including who makes playoffs and ultimately wins. What happened to having some pride and being a spoiler? We’ve booted guys before in our 25 year history and won’t hesitate to do it again. Friends or not. 

When owners submitted invalid lineups in Week 1, I said nothing.

When owners submitted invalid lineups in Week 5, I said nothing.

When owners submitted invalid lineups "costing" me a playoff spot, I reacted like a thermonucular reaction.
Spoke up each time. Guy started Ridley when he didn’t even make the plane trip and was declared out. One guy still had Darrell Henderson in his lineup tonight. Railed on that. But thanks for playing 

But is there a rule to stop this? If no, then there is nothing you can do other than stomp your feet and post your complaint on a MB. 

As a long time commissioner, my role is not to tell people what to do with their lineups. Plus the Cooks thing isn’t even a thing considering no one knew what his playing time was going to look like. 

As a long time commissioner, my role is not to tell people what to do with their lineups.
I agree that is not your job to intervene when people are starting Mattison over Cook, Dillon over Jones, Zeke over Pollard, those types of things.  But it is 100% your job when someone starts a "known" inactive player.  I can think of only 1 scenario where starting an inactive player/empty spot should be allowed - when you have already won and don't want to risk negative points.  I am facing this very thing this week.  I am up by .2 and my opponent is done.  I have Kyler Murray, and thought about taking him out and just taking a zero at QB, thus guaranteeing the win.  The problem is, if there is a stat correction and I lose, I would punch myself in the nose, so I am keeping him in.

I agree that is not your job to intervene when people are starting Mattison over Cook, Dillon over Jones, Zeke over Pollard, those types of things.  But it is 100% your job when someone starts a "known" inactive player.  I can think of only 1 scenario where starting an inactive player/empty spot should be allowed - when you have already won and don't want to risk negative points.  I am facing this very thing this week.  I am up by .2 and my opponent is done.  I have Kyler Murray, and thought about taking him out and just taking a zero at QB, thus guaranteeing the win.  The problem is, if there is a stat correction and I lose, I would punch myself in the nose, so I am keeping him in.
My thoughts on being commissioner have changed over time. I used to hover the league and look at all the matchups, etc… I barely look  at my opponent now. 

I agree about starting players on bye and such, for a normal FF league. But our league has fairly short benches with 7 IDP starters per team. It’s not uncommon for some owners to take a zero here and there, rather than dropping a key LB’er or whatever. We have no rule blocking this and I doubt we will ever implement one. None of my leagues that I play in has such a rule either. 

Again, as a commissioner, it’s just not my/our role to tell others how to run their teams. I don’t agree with owners that do blatant stuff either, but there is nothing you can do about it mid-season. Give them a warning or 2, if they listen terrific, if not just remove them as an owner. 

I don’t agree with owners that do blatant stuff either, but there is nothing you can do about it mid-season
Yes, there is.  You are commish and have commish privileges for just this type of reason.  Just because there isn't a rule in writing, doesn't mean the commish cannot do what's best for the league.  Do you have a rule in your league that says an owner is not allowed to hire a hacker to get the commish password, then transfer all the studs to their team?  Of course you don't.  As a commish, you are GOD and should do whatever it takes to ensure league integrity.  If that means booting a guy midseason, so be it.

Yes, there is.  You are commish and have commish privileges for just this type of reason.  Just because there isn't a rule in writing, doesn't mean the commish cannot do what's best for the league.  Do you have a rule in your league that says an owner is not allowed to hire a hacker to get the commish password, then transfer all the studs to their team?  Of course you don't.  As a commish, you are GOD and should do whatever it takes to ensure league integrity.  If that means booting a guy midseason, so be it.
Sorry about your luck on this one. There is always a thread about is  FF luck or skill. I guess this one falls on the luck side. 

I don’t agree that the commissioner should interfere, especially in this case of Cook being in or out. 

Next year my co-worker and I are going to co-commish a redraft.  We have already come up a few rules:
- Full payment before we draft
- First offense of starting a player that was known to be inactive 90 minutes prior to kickoff - a commish will play your next best player and warn you
- Second offense - booted from league, commishes take over your team, and you lose your money
Seems like a money-maker for the commishes.

When owners submitted invalid lineups in Week 1, I said nothing.

When owners submitted invalid lineups in Week 5, I said nothing.

When owners submitted invalid lineups "costing" me a playoff spot, I reacted like a thermonucular reaction.
Guy I needed to lose played against an inactive team two weeks ago so I called it out.  Next week I played an inactive team, so I made sure I called it out as well.

My biggest problem is that we all look at the weekly game and if we see that a guy on the other team has been out since early in the week or is on bye and the other team isn't making moves then we don't speak up, but if it happens to someone else then we do.  It's unsporting, and if you're going to go off and fine someone for not keeping up with their team you have to at least do something about their opponents who silently take advantage.

Sorry about your luck on this one. There is always a thread about is  FF luck or skill. I guess this one falls on the luck side. 

I don’t agree that the commissioner should interfere, especially in this case of Cook being in or out. 
I didn't face Cook.  I am not the OP.  In fact, I did face Mattison.  But that's not the point.  I already said I agreed Cook vs Mattison was not a thing a commish had any right changing.  But should a commish interfere if a team is trying to ruin a league by determining who makes the playoffs?  What if I posted on the league website that I was willing to pay any owner as long as they pulled all their starters?  Yes, a commish has to decide when to step in, but never stepping in is not an option.  If you are a commish and don't protect the integrity of the league, you are a bad commish.

I am really into my leagues for the most part, but it happens from time to time. The chances of you getting into the playoffs because someone didn't set their line-up are the same so it's just something that happens from time to time. It's only really bad if it happens repeatedly. 

all play solves pretty much every possible issue listed here or in other threads.....up to and including the playoffs......and I'll just leave it at that.....

once you get over the old school "need" to have an individual head to head matchup against one of your buddies each week for "bragging rights" or whatever....you will find the holy grail of what the core of fantasy football is.....and it lies in "all play"....all reap the rewards and all suffer the consequences equally of any decision made by any owner...

that is all....

Judge Smails said:
Sort of done with owners not paying attention.  I'm commish next year and it will be a $100 fine every time this happens. I know it's only FF and everyone is busy but c'mon.  It doesn't affect just you - it affects the whole league.
lololololol glll peas

but your casual friends will lose interest and quit

they like luck and you have to provide them some
This is a good point actually.  The best leagues are ones where all owners are either equally laid back, or equally gung ho.

I almost didn't start Cook and didn't know until like thirty minutes before the game began. Then I had to make a decision to leave Cook in there (who has left games with a shoulder injury before) or gamble that my other two guys would have worse games than he did. I had Robinson and Freeman ready to roll for the weekend. I went with Cook, but what if I didn't? Given his injury history, he was very likely to get pulled in Thursday night's game if his shoulder gave him problems. He cost me the playoffs one year with the same thing. 

Who is the commish to tell me who to start? 

"Who?" says the owlie. Who, indeed?!

but your casual friends will lose interest and quit

they like luck and you have to provide them some
then don't complain when things like what happened in this thread happen....not saying you did....but if it happens in your league and you aren't actively advocating for the "all play" format....you kinda need to shut your pie hole....you would think the purpose is to see who is really the best owner in the league....all play does that.....the old school head to head, just doesn't.....if it's "casual" then there shouldn't be any complaining about things like this....you can't have your cake and eat it too....

I almost didn't start Cook and didn't know until like thirty minutes before the game began. Then I had to make a decision to leave Cook in there (who has left games with a shoulder injury before) or gamble that my other two guys would have worse games than he did. I had Robinson and Freeman ready to roll for the weekend. I went with Cook, but what if I didn't? Given his injury history, he was very likely to get pulled in Thursday night's game if his shoulder gave him problems. He cost me the playoffs one year with the same thing. 

Who is the commish to tell me who to start? 

"Who?" says the owlie. Who, indeed?!
I think @Judge Smails has probably given in to the Cook/Mattison debate.  Have you, Judge?

This happens in many leagues.  In one of my leagues with all long time friends none of this happens.  Everyone knows if they do not field a competitive team there are penalties

Also have forced out a couple of guys for not running their teams.  If you take a zero from someone not playing you are fined.  We do not mess around in this league

Everyone takes it seriously as they do not want o hear it from their friends 

Over the years I have left leagues where this happens, not worth the hassle and it won't change either..

Easier to just leave

This happens in many leagues.  In one of my leagues with all long time friends none of this happens.  Everyone knows if they do not field a competitive team there are penalties

Also have forced out a couple of guys for not running their teams.  If you take a zero from someone not playing you are fined.  We do not mess around in this league

Everyone takes it seriously as they do not want o hear it from their friends 

Over the years I have left leagues where this happens, not worth the hassle and it won't change either..

Easier to just leave
It all boils down to the commish.  A lazy commish will sit back and say, "next year we can change that".  What a wussy!  A good commish changes it on the spot.  That's exactly why a commish has complete authority to do ANYTHING.

I am really into my leagues for the most part, but it happens from time to time. The chances of you getting into the playoffs because someone didn't set their line-up are the same so it's just something that happens from time to time. It's only really bad if it happens repeatedly. 
Variance.

Just part of the deal with this hobby. In the end, it all evens out. Life’s too short.

(and please with “but it’s high stakes” bull####. couple grand either way isn’t going to move the needle in anyone’s life.)

Final thoughts on this for me is if the commish lets things like this  happen then you should just leave the league and find leagues

that do not allow this bull crap to happen.  People who lose interest in their teams should be told either they manage every week no matter the record 

for the integrity of the league or  get out.  We have told that to some people, 3 left and 1 got a co owner to help him run the team, which now 

is always on point with their moves.

I do not buy the apathetic responses from many here, it happens all part of the game.  

Final thoughts on this for me is if the commish lets things like this  happen then you should just leave the league and find leagues

that do not allow this bull crap to happen.  People who lose interest in their teams should be told either they manage every week no matter the record 

for the integrity of the league or  get out.  We have told that to some people, 3 left and 1 got a co owner to help him run the team, which now 

is always on point with their moves.

I do not buy the apathetic responses from many here, it happens all part of the game.  
FYI

If you hit "shift" and "enter" at the same time, you will not have double spaced lines.
Like this...

JOMO
This is pretty much how I commish my league. Because most everyone on the league feels the same, it works fine.

Folks who are serious business should play with people who feel the same way. Those who are laid back should be leagues with other people who want balance on their lives. FF is a hobby, it’s way way way down the list from the things that truly matter (faith, family, relationships)

Even though I’m a casual kind of commish, the guys in my league make it super easy to be that way. They’re competitive, doesn’t matter what their record is, they wanna massacre you. There is an ethos in the league that was established in Year 1 (2005): you do your best all the way through. It’s not fair to the other owners when people stop trying. We have a league with tremendous integrity and the level of effort is consistent.

It’s not because of rules we passed or fines we imposed or threatening to go over to their house, knock on their door, and punch ‘em in the nose in front of their wife and kids. It’s because of the quality of the people in the league.

Maybe it’s just bc we are older but the thought of what others would think if we stopped actively managing is more than enough motivation. Pride is all it takes.

I used to text people about injuries or late developments or “hey bro I know you’ll get to it without me saying anything but I just noticed you didn’t set your lineup for byes this week.” One week my friend (full time working artist) replied “I know I don’t have a K. I like my bench a lot. It’s exactly the way I want it, everyone has a role or a purpose. But if I drop one of them for a kicker I lose that equilibrium. So no offense, but #### off, Id rather take the zero than drop a bench guy I really like.”

That was the last time I tried to tell someone how to run their team.

(Probably ten years ago?)

In one league, a team that never made a single lineup change all season (no bye week or injury changes) just lost a tie-breaker for the last playoff spot. So think about that when you consider how many hours you put into this game. 🙂

But really, it shouldn't matter if it's a $5000 league or a free Yahoo league. You agreed to play, so you have a responsibility to play. I don't like people saying "If it was a free league, who cares?" If you don't care, don't sign up in the first place. That throwaway league might be someone else's main league. Please don't ruin it for them. 

To me, the solution is a lot easier than fines or rules. If a person doesn't care, kick them out of the league. I don't mean missing a lineup change or two. We're all human. I mean a clear lack of concern for the league, expressed over several weeks. You can't legislate enthusiasm. If they don't care, replace them. End of story. 

Folks who are serious business should play with people who feel the same way. Those who are laid back should be leagues with other people who want balance on their lives.
This is probably key. Everyone here disagrees back and forth and acts like the other side is idiotic, but it's just different styles that should be in leagues of similar type. Imagine some of those serious bowling people debating with the typical, casual bowler about what level of enthusiasm should be used 😆

One thing I can say is with the increase in NFL games this year in my 16 team league we changed our playoff seedings from all records (with tiebreakers) to the 4 division winners (by records with tiebreakers) and the remaining 6 teams by total points - by far the best decision we made in a very long time.

Even the team that was 1-11 still had a mathematical chance going into the final week. It kept everyone on their toes and fighting till the end. In the end a 3-10 team made it in over 2 different 5-8 teams because they kept facing that buzzsaw hot team each week, but kept faith he scored enough to make the playoffs. It was way more fun than teams locking things up 2 weeks out and nothing to play for for many other teams. 

Owner still has Henderson in his lineup tonight. Known out since Saturday. You guys OK with that?
No that sucks.  Should be consequences for starting guys who are out and on a bye.  Problem is your 1st example is the Cook/Mattison "issue" distracted posters from the main issue.  

Users who are viewing this thread