What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where does McCown go... (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
Talks aimed at a new contract are ongoing between quarterback Kurt Warner and the Arizona Cardinals. But the Cardinals have made it clear that they prefer Warner over Josh McCown, each of whom is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent. Arizona now is trying hard to get a deal done with Warner, while it has put aside any talks with McCown, who wants to seek a starting job in another city. Even though Warner will turn 35 years old in June, the Cardinals still believe he can be the trigger man as the team tries to fight its way back to the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9204058

I think McCown could make a decent starter, and would be a great backup for teams with questions at QB.

So, where does he end up? Starter or backup?

Bri

Footballguy
not a bad suggestion if Pennington's health improves some. I don't think he's viewed as a starter but as a "just in case" sorta backup. I think backup QB is a weak position in the NFL now and as long as he keeps his demanding price low he should be able to get a slew of teams interested. He has experience, many don't. Where are the Bungles without Kitna?

Do the Seahawks have anyone they're confident in if Hass goes down? KC+Green? If Saints don't re-sign Brooks as expected, I can't see Bouman and McPherson being seen as the be all end all QB. Eli's backups are eh'. Miami's backups might start if Frerotte doesn't return. I don't feel Parcells has confidence in Henson or Romo. Are the Eagles happy with the way their QBs played when McNabb went down?

Z-Dog

Footballguy
not a bad suggestion if Pennington's health improves some. I don't think he's viewed as a starter but as a "just in case" sorta backup. I think backup QB is a weak position in the NFL now and as long as he keeps his demanding price low he should be able to get a slew of teams interested. He has experience, many don't. Where are the Bungles without Kitna?

Do the Seahawks have anyone they're confident in if Hass goes down? KC+Green? If Saints don't re-sign Brooks as expected, I can't see Bouman and McPherson being seen as the be all end all QB. Eli's backups are eh'. Miami's backups might start if Frerotte doesn't return. I don't feel Parcells has confidence in Henson or Romo. Are the Eagles happy with the way their QBs played when McNabb went down?
I find it hard to believe that McCown would come cheaper than Brooks Bollinger, and if the Jets are looking for a mobile stop-gap starter, they'll just re-sign Bollinger.

jeter23

Footballguy

I find it hard to believe that McCown would come cheaper than Brooks Bollinger, and if the Jets are looking for a mobile stop-gap starter, they'll just re-sign Bollinger.
Brooks Bollinger is no Josh McCown! :boxing:

M

MLBrandow

I could see him on the Jets and the Lions.I think he can develop into a solid starter in the NFL. He's showed a lot of promise. Pro Bowler? I don't think so, but certainly a dependable starter, or at the least, an elite backup.

Sopranos

Footballguy
I could see him on the Jets and the Lions.

I think he can develop into a solid starter in the NFL. He's showed a lot of promise. Pro Bowler? I don't think so, but certainly a dependable starter, or at the least, an elite backup.
:thumbup:

Bri

Footballguy

I didn't like Bollinger when he was in and thought McCown put up some gaudy stats at times. To each his own I guess

Texasmouth

Footballguy
Where is all this McCown hype coming from? Isnt he the same guy we call "McClown?" The guy isn't any good. he only started a few games because he was in Arizona. He wouldn't sniff the starting job anywhere else. His stats looked good at times because he has the best wide receiver combo in the NFL and they throw the ball 55 times a week. His stats are over inflated because the games were usually blow outs too. This guy is not going to be the savior for any team. I dont think he is even an upgrade over any QB who started on any team last year. Including Alex Smith, Brooks Bollinger, Testeverde, Frerrotte, etc.

Bri

Footballguy
Where is all this McCown hype coming from?
I believe I'm the only one to post anything that could be misconstrued as "hype" and I wrote something like a "just in case backup" so I don't think we disagree so much here Texas

SammyJankis

Footballguy
"Will McCown start somewhere?" That sounds like something that someone that had read a lot of box scores and not seen a lot of Cardinals games might say. Let's see: lack of field vision, happy feet, can't progress past his second read, trouble holding on to the ball. Trust me, I've watched the majority of Cardinals games in their entirety the last couple of years. This guy has next to zero chance to start somewhere. No doubt he won't be back with the Cardinals, and will likely land somewhere. However, I think he's more likely to be competing to be a backup somewhere than a starter.

Bri

Footballguy
"Will McCown start somewhere?" That sounds like something that someone that had read a lot of box scores and not seen a lot of Cardinals games might say.

Let's see: lack of field vision, happy feet, can't progress past his second read, trouble holding on to the ball. Trust me, I've watched the majority of Cardinals games in their entirety the last couple of years. This guy has next to zero chance to start somewhere. No doubt he won't be back with the Cardinals, and will likely land somewhere. However, I think he's more likely to be competing to be a backup somewhere than a starter.
(for the sake of discussion)it doesn't sound like you're describing a guy that averaged 200 yards in 04 and 300 yards per game started in 05. That is significant progress.

http://www.profootballreference.com/games/McCoJo01.htm#2005

Also what's the second read stuff if both boldin and Fitz did well? I'd say he at least goes thru 2 reads. I'm sure it's debatable whether the Cards have any reads worth looking at past Bryant Johnson

Assani Fisher

Footballguy
Also what's the second read stuff if both boldin and Fitz did well? I'd say he at least goes thru 2 reads. I'm sure it's debatable whether the Cards have any reads worth looking at past Bryant Johnson
that doesn't really prove anything as I'm sure they are both the #1 option on different plays.

Bri

Footballguy
that doesn't really prove anything as I'm sure they are both the #1 option on different plays.
I know what ya mean but I don't know if it's mathematically possible for given their target #s and number of pass plays

ILoveMyLions

Footballguy
Larry Fitzgerald was on the Detroit radio the other day and apparently told the radio guys off the air that McCown wanted to end up in either Miami or Detroit based on situation and opportunity.

walkmac

Footballguy
So, where does he end up?

I think there are three possibilities: Chicago, Dallas or New Orleans.

Becasue the Rush, Desperados and Voodoo are all said to be in the need of a QB.

The Lions are also a possibility.

Because Casey Printers signed with the Chiefs, so BC needs a back up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread