What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Lotta new to me today that I won't get to because today (and yesterday) is really busy but I realize that's no excuse because management is doing a bang up job despite being just as busy. And I dig the teasers a lot too.

This middle aged dummy is going to his first ever hockey game tonight. Go Canes!! And my buddy said "wear black or red". I have an awesome black and red Rush R40 tour jersey, which fits with the "where in the world" thread. Represent!!!

ya gotta support the team!!

Dr. Octopus:

Sequestered In Memphis - The Hold Steady (Canada)
(new artist)
These guys are American I messed this up.
Can we move my Arcade Fire Song “Keep the Car Running” from Last Five Out into this slot for playlist and other purposes?

Not sure what I was thinking.
Sorry - it was pointed out to me. I guess I had it stuck in my head that they were and didn’t look it up.

Oh, it's no problem. I just didn't understand why you volunteered the change instead of sending me a dozen PM rants instead.

Lotta new to me today that I won't get to because today (and yesterday) is really busy but I realize that's no excuse because management is doing a bang up job despite being just as busy. And I dig the teasers a lot too.

This middle aged dummy is going to his first ever hockey game tonight. Go Canes!! And my buddy said "wear black or red". I have an awesome black and red Rush R40 tour jersey, which fits with the "where in the world" thread. Represent!!!
Hope you have fun! You might even hear some music you recognize from one of these "dummies" threads!

management is doing a bang up job despite being just as busy. And I dig the teasers a lot too.

Thanks. Working all freaking day today and will be tomorrow, too. I'd hoped to sneak over to Climate Pledge Arena to see the Iowa/Louisville women's game tomorrow night, but I don't see it happening. :topcat:

Six-Point Selections:

Don Quixote:

Waterloo - ABBA (Sweden)
(new song).
Have seen the musical 3 times. Great show and great music.

Ilov80s:

Let It Ride - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
(new song)
Had 3 BTO's songs in my Top 75. None made the final cut.

krista4:

Don’t Stop Me Now - Queen (UK/Zanzibar)
(new song)
This is a great song. Glad it's been listed. No way to get all great Queen songs onto final list.

Mt. Man:

So Far Away - Dire Straits (UK band, American drummer)
(new artist)
Exceleent choice here.

New Binky the Doormat:

Breakfast In America – Supertramp (Bob Siebenberg/drummer)
(new song)
Like the song, but not as much as a fan of the commercial stuff, as I am their older stuff, which I had three of on my Last 5 in.

AAABatteries:

California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas
(new song)
This was 36 or 37 for me. Doubt it will be the last time we see it.

Here's my fave known songs. Looking forward to going through listening to the new-to-me songs tonight

Only 15 that I recognize by title today (not counting my own pick).

Known-to-me favorites:

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) -- The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Val Rannous)
For What It's Worth -- Buffalo Springfield (Worrierking) -- If this single flops commercially, like the other releases from Buffalo Springfield did, do we ever hear from Neil Young or Stephen Stills again after 1968?
Estranged -- Guns 'N Roses (Manster) -- There was a lot to digest when the Use Your Illusion albums came out, but this one grabbed me right away.
Subdivisions -- Rush (Shuke) -- This came out when I was in middle school and its lyrics really struck a chord. Arguably the band's best use of synths as well.
Let It Ride -- Bachman-Turner Overdrive (Ilov80s)
Waterloo -- ABBA (Don Quixote)
Keep the Car Running -- Arcade Fire (Doc Oc)
California Dreamin' -- The Mamas & the Papas (AAABatteries)
Somebody That I Used to Know -- Gotye ft. Kimbra (MAC 32)
Synchronicity II -- The Police (Zegras11)
Ai Du -- Ali Farka Toure (feat. Ry Cooder) (DrIanMalcolm) -- I came upon this when I was looking for something for one of the international playlists in GP4, loved it, and picked it.

Last edited:
Pip’s Invitation:

Rebellion (Lies) - Arcade Fire (Canada/US)
(new song)

I love songs with momentum and this one has it in spades. Several friends recommended that I check out Funeral soon after it came out, and this was the song that told me, yes, the hype is justified. It's absolutely incredible when performed live.
One of my favorite albums. Every song is great.

I took a break and listened to a portion of the playlist. Found a few new favorites already. Maybe more to come.

Known-to-me faves:
Ai Du - Have loved this record for a long time.
Voodoo Child - Well, duh.
Somebody That I Used to Know - Known-to-me for five days! :lol:

New-to-me faves:
Burden of Tomorrow by The Tallest Man on Earth - two days, two songs, two hearts
Left and Leaving by The Weakerthans - Another band I always mean to check out more. Have never heard any I didn't like.
...Surprise Hotel by Fool's Gold - Wow, this scratched a musical itch I didn't even know I had!

Back to the salt mines.

Of the unknown songs I really liked The Kings of Convenience and The Deep Dark Woods.

I also realized that I need to listen to Thin Lizzy a lot more. Whenever I hear a non-hit song from them on this board I love it.
They have grown into a top 10-15 band for me in the last decade or so. I especially love the stretch of albums from Fighting to Black Rose. That is a hell of a run of 5 albums there. Plus I would say Live and Dangerous is one of the best live albums ever too.

ETA: I was listening to Fighting when I saw your post too.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

I love songs with momentum and this one has it in spades. Several friends recommended that I check out Funeral soon after it came out, and this was the song that told me, yes, the hype is justified. It's absolutely incredible when performed live.
Am I the only here who doesn't get Arcade Fire? They seem to be very popular amongst the middle aged idiots. I've tried several times, including the other day, with the first one chosen on this thing...... each time I find myself skipping thru the first few songs after a minute or so into each song, and then losing interest.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

Am I the only here who doesn't get Arcade Fire? They seem to be very popular amongst the middle aged idiots. I've tried several times, including the other day, with the first one chosen on this thing...... each time I find myself skipping thru the first few songs after a minute or so into each song, and then losing interest.
We’re not idiots. We’re dummies.

And no, you’re not the only one. That’s the beauty of music.

Of the unknown songs I really liked The Kings of Convenience and The Deep Dark Woods.

I also realized that I need to listen to Thin Lizzy a lot more. Whenever I hear a non-hit song from them on this board I love it.
They have grown into a top 10-15 band for me in the last decade or so. I especially love the stretch of albums from Fighting to Black Rose. That is a hell of a run of 5 albums there. Plus I would say Live and Dangerous is one of the best live albums ever too.

I'm pretty ignorant to Thin Lizzy besides what they play on the radio. I might have to change that.

I'm pretty ignorant to Thin Lizzy besides what they play on the radio. I might have to change that.
That’s where I am too. I’m going to listen to their albums now.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

We’re not idiots. We’re dummies.

And no, you’re not the only one. That’s the beauty of music.
Ha! For some reason I always confuse Doc OC's idiots with K4's dummies.....does that make me a middle aged buffoon?

And yes, the beauty of music is there's something for everyone! I may even try Arcade Fire again.

IMO if you aren't into them if you try the combo of Jailbreak + Bad Reputation, you probably aren't into them. If you like those, I would branch out to the other 3 I was referring to - Fighting, Johnny the Fox, and Black Rose: A Rock Legend. Listening to Fighting now, and even lesser known songs like Wild One and Fighting my Way Back cook.

Their lyrics are a bit goofy, but that's not what usually draws me in. Love the dualing guitars, the solos smoke, and I think the drumming is underrated.

IMO if you aren't into them if you try the combo of Jailbreak + Bad Reputation, you probably aren't into them. If you like those, I would branch out to the other 3 I was referring to - Fighting, Johnny the Fox, and Black Rose: A Rock Legend. Listening to Fighting now, and even lesser known songs like Wild One and Fighting my Way Back cook.

Their lyrics are a bit goofy, but that's not what usually draws me in. Love the dualing guitars, the solos smoke, and I think the drumming is underrated.
@The Dreaded Marco - in case you were being literal with your last post. Honestly I think Jailbreak and Fighting are my favorites, but Bad Repuation has a great mix of popular tunes and gems.

Brian Downey is a beast on the kit. I’ve mentioned my affection for these guys in many a thread over the years. They can sometimes be a bit hit or miss, but their high points are killer. Don’t want to spotlight any tunes in case they may be selected here.

Known to me favs from today ...

WaterlooAbba
SubdivisionsRush
Let It RideBTO
Don't Stop Me NowQueen
The Mob RulesBlack Sabbath (this is Dio - no longer the real Black Sabbath though …)
SynchronicityThe Police
California Dreamin'The Mamas & The Papas

...Don't know how I missed "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield - all-time classic!!!! :bag:

Last edited:
Dr. Octopus:

Sequestered In Memphis - The Hold Steady (Canada)
(new artist)
These guys are American I messed this up.
Can we move my Arcade Fire Song “Keep the Car Running” from Last Five Out into this slot for playlist and other purposes?

Not sure what I was thinking.
Sorry - it was pointed out to me. I guess I had it stuck in my head that they were and didn’t look it up.

Oh, it's no problem. I just didn't understand why you volunteered the change instead of sending me a dozen PM rants instead.
Change made. All good

Don Quixote
Waterloo - ABBA

shuke:
Subdivisions - Rush

Mt. Man:
So Far Away - Dire Straits

Manster:
Estranged - Guns N' Roses
My faves from today...

Subdivisions is one of probably two Rush songs I like without equivocation.

I like a lot of GNR - Estranged is one of my favorites.

I'm a huge Rush fan (way too many concerts to count, etc.) but at the same time I completely understand that they're not for everyone. I'm sure I've posted this a million times on this forum but I love the hell out of this version of Subdivision by Jacob Moon. I watch that and I think "yeah, this guy gets it." My wife was born in Hamilton Ontario. I was playing this on our TV in our living room, wifey walks by and says "hmmm, that looks a lot like where I grew up. . . (double take). . . wait. . . hey, that is Hamilton. . . I know right where that is. . . holy crap. . .isn't that that one Rush song?" :)

Don Quixote
Waterloo - ABBA

shuke:
Subdivisions - Rush

Mt. Man:
So Far Away - Dire Straits

Manster:
Estranged - Guns N' Roses
My faves from today...

Subdivisions is one of probably two Rush songs I like without equivocation.

I like a lot of GNR - Estranged is one of my favorites.
Estranged kind of gets forgotten about in the GnR catalog.....they never really played it on the radio. It's a 9+ minute rock opera, not exactly radio friendly. Structurally its not a typical verse/chorus/verse. I think that's one of the reasons I always liked it. It's a very personal, emotional piece of songwriting.... Estranged was the last of the "trilogy" from the Illusions.....1)Don't cry, 2) November Rain......The Trilogy is based on Axl's failed marriage to Erin Everly. All of them had videos in the MTV era......Estranged was super expensive.....I looked it up and it ranks #6 most expensive music video of all time at $4 mil......and thats early 90's money.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

Same

All songs I know from this round, and not repeating any songs already listed in past rounds.

Breakfast in America - can we have fritters for breakfast, mummy4, mummy4. They gotta have 'em in Texas, cause everyone's a sugar whore (it rhymed :shrug:)
Ai Du - 🚬
Waterloo - I could workout to this song. It's upbeat and gets ya movin'
Subdivisions - The drums and synths drive this song, and the lyrics are good too.
For What It's Worth - ☮️
Voodoo Child - 🎸
Don't Stop Me Now - I could workout to this song too.
Positive Vibration - chilly willy
California Dreamin' - They had great harmonies and I love this song.
Let it Ride / Down Down - I'm adding these two together since I like both songs.
So Far Away - This song reminds me of an old friend named Rusty.

Favorite unknowns probably coming up in a bit...

“So Far Away” was actually the last song I put on my list. It got promoted when krista4 pointed out an ineligible (I thought I’d researched, but we all miss things). This makes two countdowns with Dire Straits for me, though last time they only made the Last Five Out. There’s one more artist that will make two of my lists… just much, much later.

As far as other songs, I’m starting to teeter on the edge of knowing more songs than not, while certainly appreciating a lot of the new-to-me- music. “Butter” and “Desire” also fall into the category of knowing it (enough) from work. Which still counts! Kind of, sort of.

#26s
Recognized by title alone: 17
Sounded familiar: 5
Didn't know: 21

Special Shout Out: Ashes (Mrs. Rannous) - This probably would’ve been placed in “sounded familiar”, but then I see the part about being from Deadpool 2 on Spotify. So you might say that it reminds me of that movie.

Selected Favorites:
Don’t Wanna Fall In Love (Sullie)
Voodoo Child[Slight Return] (Val Rannous)
Tarzan Boy (Doug B)
Dancing In The Moonlight (KarmaPolice)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Dreamer (Raging weasel)
The Place I Left Behind (simey)
Modern Drift (Eephus)
Authentic Celestial Music (OliverHumanzee)

-
Dig The Vibe: Stompin’Ground (Chaos34) - Gotta love an unusual instrument, and covering part of “Smoke On The Water” caught me off guard. Reminds me a bit of an Experimental Music artist I stumbled across randomly roughly a dozen years ago and still listen to occasionally.

Only 15 that I recognize by title today (not counting my own pick).

Known-to-me favorites:

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) -- The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Val Rannous)
For What It's Worth -- Buffalo Springfield (Worrierking) -- If this single flops commercially, like the other releases from Buffalo Springfield did, do we ever hear from Neil Young or Stephen Stills again after 1968?
Estranged -- Guns 'N Roses (Manster) -- There was a lot to digest when the Use Your Illusion albums came out, but this one grabbed me right away.
Subdivisions -- Rush (Shuke) -- This came out when I was in middle school and its lyrics really struck a chord. Arguably the band's best use of synths as well.
Let It Ride -- Bachman-Turner Overdrive (Ilov80s)
Waterloo -- ABBA (Don Quixote)
Keep the Car Running -- Arcade Fire (Doc Oc)
California Dreamin' -- The Mamas & the Papas (AAABatteries)
Somebody That I Used to Know -- Gotye ft. Kimbra (MAC 32)
Synchronicity II -- The Police (Zegras11)
Ai Du -- Ali Farka Toure (feat. Ry Cooder) (DrIanMalcolm) -- I came upon this when I was looking for something for one of the international playlists in GP4, loved it, and picked it.
Edited to add Doc Oc's substitute pick to the list of my favorites from today.

Here are some unknown to me favorites from this round.

Burden of Tomorrow - This is good.
Some Devil - I wonder if I've heard him and Tim Reynolds do this at a Farm Aid before. I've found that I like him better when he is acoustic w/Tim vs with his band.
Rebellion (lies) - I've heard this before. I like it. It should have been listed in known to me favorites.
Keep The Car Running - It sounds familiar and I like it.
Left and Leaving - I love this.
Ashes - She sounds good.
Dreamer - 🎸
Her and I (Slow Jam 2) - I like the guitar work in this.
Misread - Nice mellow tune.
Dancing In the Moonlight (It's Caught Me in It's Spotlight) - I like Thin Lizzy.
Authentic Celestial Music - Interesting instrumental. I like it all the way through, from the soft beginning to when the drums really kick in.
Modern Drift - I like that piano.
Hooray! Hooray! It's a Holi-Holiday - Is this a sing-a-long song?
You Don't Think you like People like Me - this one is growing on me.
Turn Off the Light - I like this and, I wasn't expecting the appearance of an acoustic guitar briefly.

This song is a "What in the World" song today.

Endless Blockades for the Pussyfooter - It reminds me of driving in the car, and the radio station is going in and out, and your losing your signal, but you don't want to switch the station cause you wanna hear the song. The highlight for me is the end. :lol: Seriously, I like the ending of the song at the 3:21 mark where it goes ahhhhhhhh then there is a drum beat and then someone or something sounds kinda like a squeak toy, and then I think someone says bye bye. The song made me smile, which is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread