What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where the Crawdads Sing (1 Viewer)

prosopis

Arizona Chupacabra
I am getting ready to go see this movie. I absolutely LOVED this book and I hope I am not setting myself up for a let down with the film. I am seriously geeked to go see it. In my opinion Kya is a top five female literary character and I really want this to show in the film. The book reminded me a lot of To Kill a Mockingbird and I hope the film is as good as that film was. 

I have only watched the trailer once as I wanted to go in without knowing too much of what they did. I will say the actress playing Kya is not what my imagination had pictured while reading.

Hopefully I am not to stoked for this. :popcorn:

Didn’t read the book but heard a summary from a friend…

The girl in the movie seems way too clean and “put together “, imo.

Interesting note I found out about the author of the novel. She's wanted for questioning in Zambia over the murder of a local after a documentary was filmed about her and her husband that ended with the execution of a trespasser.  Seems like that could be quite the internet wormhole to fall into. 

Didn’t read the book but heard a summary from a friend…

The girl in the movie seems way too clean and “put together “, imo.
She was but the actress sold it and I bought in. Her clothes were way to nice as well. 

Interesting note I found out about the author of the novel. She's wanted for questioning in Zambia over the murder of a local after a documentary was filmed about her and her husband that ended with the execution of a trespasser.  Seems like that could be quite the internet wormhole to fall into. 
Whoa

I would give this movie a B. I do not want to review it as anything I say will be a spoiler. I felt it did the book justice but missed the mark in a few spots. I will say more when folks have had a chance to see it. One of my complaints is above. Kya was to "put together" as it was put. I will say the actress did a fairly good job of selling it though. It made me want to read the book again. That book really touched me.

Didn't make it through the book.   Maybe it gets better but didn't see what all the fuss was about.   Perhaps I just need to give it another shot.   

Terrific book.  

Zero interest in seeing the movie.  

Has there ever been movie better than the book?  Have we done that thread?  Would be a good one. 

1. Shawshank Redemption - Stephen King short story was good.  The movie was legendary.

2. Stand By Me - ditto.

3. Misery - Wow, I loved the book but Kathy Bates and James Caan delivered an amazing performance. 

4. Hunt for Red October - classic. 

Terrific book.  

Has there ever been movie better than the book?  Have we done that thread?  Would be a good one. 

1. Shawshank Redemption - Stephen King short story was good.  The movie was legendary.

2. Stand By Me - ditto.

3. Misery - Wow, I loved the book but Kathy Bates and James Caan delivered an amazing performance. 

Jaws is probably the answer here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaws is probably the answer here.

When I was single-digits years old, I was bored one day.  Grabbed my mom's Reader's Digest Condensed Books version of Jaws (four books in one!).  Sigh.  Not even close to the horror that awaited me in the mid-80's when I watched the NON CONDENSED movie. :D  

Terrific book.  

2. Stand By Me - ditto.

The Godfather. The book is kind of meh and has a very weird storyline that the movie wisely ignored.

Terrific book.  

2. Stand By Me - ditto.

It was a good film. Like you say it wasn't the book but it was respectible. For your list of films better than the book I will add the entire Lord of the Rings catalogue. 

I happened to just finish rereading Crawdads.  I have no interest in seeing the film …the review I read was not very favorable.  I sense they focus more on the love triangle than the Marsh Girl and the early family traumas.

General Malaise said:
Terrific book.  

2. Stand By Me - ditto.

The Princess Bride - Book and movie were both great, and very different.

I liked the book, but did not love it. On the fence on the movie — sounds like reviews are saying not as good as the book, and if I was not even that keen on the book, not sure worth seeing in the theatre. Maybe a plane rental some day.

tri-man 47 said:
I happened to just finish rereading Crawdads.  I have no interest in seeing the film …the review I read was not very favorable.  I sense they focus more on the love triangle than the Marsh Girl and the early family traumas.
While he movie was respectable I agree I would have preferred  more early marsh girl and how she survived. It's there but I would have preferred more of it rather than the love triangle angle. 

Users who are viewing this thread