What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which current head coaching vacancy is the most appealing? (1 Viewer)

Which current head coaching vacancy is the most appealing?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Detroit Lions

• New York Jets

• Total voters

AtomicDogg97

Footballguy
Which current head coaching vacancy do you consider to be the most appealing for a prospective coach.......taking into consideration the organization's ownership, talent, fans, salary cap situation, expectations, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted Jets. If I was a prospective HC, I'd look at management infrastructure and place that above the actual team I needed to rebuild. The Lions are simply dysfunctional from the top down and regarding the Browns, a facility rampant with staph infections doesn't scream professionalism to me. The Jets have problems, but I think they represent the most supportive environment of the three. 2nd would probably be the Lions simply for the notariety you would receive by just bringing the franchise to respectability.

I voted Jets. If I was a prospective HC, I'd look at management infrastructure and place that above the actual team I needed to rebuild. The Lions are simply dysfunctional from the top down and regarding the Browns, a facility rampant with staph infections doesn't scream professionalism to me. The Jets have problems, but I think they represent the most supportive environment of the three. 2nd would probably be the Lions simply for the notariety you would receive by just bringing the franchise to respectability.
The problem with the Jets is high expectations. Mangini probably didn't deserve to be fired. I couldn't trust an organization/situation where the expectations are both high AND unrealistic.The Browns have problems building on problems. Prima-donnas and head-cases on the roster, but with enough talent to justify competitive expectations immediately. No quick fixes possible. The only bright spot is a promising young QB.I voted Lions. Yes..they're easily the most dysfunctional organization, but so much of that was because of Millen...who's now gone. But the fact that Millen was given so much time to right the ship speaks well of job stability. If the new GM is someone I can remotely believe in, then the situation is not nearly as "dysfunctional" as it first appears. The team really does suck, so expectations are low and reasonable for the immediate future. While the cap/personel situations aren't ideal, they're not bad either, so the GM and I can make our marks definitively and quickly.If you really think about it, Detroit should be the easy choice. If you don't, and vote on first impression/thought....the Jets job probably wins this poll.

Jets. Pretty talented roster (most pro-bowlers in the league), new state of the art stadium, high profile position.

The problem with the Jets is high expectations. Mangini probably didn't deserve to be fired. I couldn't trust an organization/situation where the expectations are both high AND unrealistic.The Browns have problems building on problems. Prima-donnas and head-cases on the roster, but with enough talent to justify competitive expectations immediately. No quick fixes possible. The only bright spot is a promising young QB.I voted Lions. Yes..they're easily the most dysfunctional organization, but so much of that was because of Millen...who's now gone. But the fact that Millen was given so much time to right the ship speaks well of job stability. If the new GM is someone I can remotely believe in, then the situation is not nearly as "dysfunctional" as it first appears. The team really does suck, so expectations are low and reasonable for the immediate future. While the cap/personel situations aren't ideal, they're not bad either, so the GM and I can make our marks definitively and quickly.If you really think about it, Detroit should be the easy choice. If you don't, and vote on first impression/thought....the Jets job probably wins this poll.
I agree with you on the Jets, but I'm going to have to go with the Browns for the reason you listed. If they got a coach who could come in and put the egos in check, they have the most upside. Just look at Harbaugh in Baltimore. The Miami crew there tried to challenge him, he put them in place and now they're in the playoffs. I think the Browns could potentially be in the same boat if someone comes in who can reign them in and get them focused on winning.Detroit promoted from within, the levels of dysfunction going on there know no bounds. That organization needs an enema.

I went with the Browns and not because I'm a homer.

I posted in the Browns thread that Mangini was a victim of being force-fed Favre and his bad decisions and you can tell that he was not on board with it going forward. In order to sell those BS PSLs for the new stadium, Tannenbaum and Johnson are going to try to bring Favre back to continue to be the face of the franchise. Coaching Favre at this point is not a good situation for long-term success. May put some fannies in the seats short-term, which Johnson and Tannenbaum seem to care more about than building a perennial success. Thumbs down to that situation for bad management there and showing the next coach how impatient and stubborn management is.

The Lions job is a great one. The O-Line is mediocre but will get better with a decent QB back there, whoever that is. Kevin Smith is a great talent, as is CJ. They need some help on D but have loads of picks. Put a winner on the field there (or even win a few games), and you're a hero. Classic low risk high reward job. It's not a career killer, you can just go back to being a coordinator should things fail.

The Browns are the classic overnight turnaround situation. The one thing Savage left us is that he built the team from inside out, giving us a solid O and D line. Thomas is a beast, Steinbach is a beast and Big Baby Shawn Rogers is a beast. Get a couple of linebackers there and a good corner and the team is set at D. Assuming that Winslow comes back and comes back healthy and Quinn progresses similar to Aaron Rodgers, this team is back to 10 wins, especially with the schedule next year. Can't complain about upper management, it's gone aside from Lerner, who is hands-off but is a great provider. New coach will have a fresh GM to grow with there.

Detroit and it isn't close. Like others have said, there is almost no expectations and even if you go 6-10 you are considered a hero there. Plus you've got some good young talent and the #1 pick and a lesser division to play in. Not to mention the fact that the Ford's have almost unlimited patience.

I went with the Browns and not because I'm a homer. I posted in the Browns thread that Mangini was a victim of being force-fed Favre and his bad decisions and you can tell that he was not on board with it going forward. In order to sell those BS PSLs for the new stadium, Tannenbaum and Johnson are going to try to bring Favre back to continue to be the face of the franchise. Coaching Favre at this point is not a good situation for long-term success. May put some fannies in the seats short-term, which Johnson and Tannenbaum seem to care more about than building a perennial success. Thumbs down to that situation for bad management there and showing the next coach how impatient and stubborn management is.
1. Did you know Mangini gave his kid the middle name Brett after the signing? We're not really sure how force fed this really was.2. I think most coaches deserve more than 3 years but, if you sat down and watched much of this season - Favre or not, the game planning, adjustments and calls on both sides was just horrendous..And the problem is, one of the major jobs of the HC is to motivate and Eric Mangini might be the worst Motivational and inspiring man alive - I think he works hard, I think he knows his X's and O's but, his demeaner is lower than low and at some point his Jets team needed to get aggressive and they didn't, the play calling and the play itself was far from inspiring - Again, if I were the HC I would have coached like my ### was on the line, I would have blitzed till kingdom come - Meanwhile they had 3 men rushing the passer WAY to often, leaving marginal QB's all day to find a target.3. I think the Jets are just saying what they need to say about Brett Favre right now - I think Favre is even still under contract - They can't throw him under the bus now - But, if Cowher or Marty come here, and Marty will have inside word with Brian, his son - and they don't want Favre, I doubt he stays over a top HC. we'll see how that plays out. Again, I just think the Jets are saying what they have to say and may be on the hook for some money here - If Breet quits or says he's injured, they are probably in a better situation than ratting him out now.4. A big part missing from the above question is where the HC wanst to live - Cowher for instance has 2 daughters in the NY area.I voted Jets. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the Browns and not because I'm a homer. I posted in the Browns thread that Mangini was a victim of being force-fed Favre and his bad decisions and you can tell that he was not on board with it going forward. In order to sell those BS PSLs for the new stadium, Tannenbaum and Johnson are going to try to bring Favre back to continue to be the face of the franchise. Coaching Favre at this point is not a good situation for long-term success. May put some fannies in the seats short-term, which Johnson and Tannenbaum seem to care more about than building a perennial success. Thumbs down to that situation for bad management there and showing the next coach how impatient and stubborn management is. The Lions job is a great one. The O-Line is mediocre but will get better with a decent QB back there, whoever that is. Kevin Smith is a great talent, as is CJ. They need some help on D but have loads of picks. Put a winner on the field there (or even win a few games), and you're a hero. Classic low risk high reward job. It's not a career killer, you can just go back to being a coordinator should things fail.The Browns are the classic overnight turnaround situation. The one thing Savage left us is that he built the team from inside out, giving us a solid O and D line. Thomas is a beast, Steinbach is a beast and Big Baby Shawn Rogers is a beast. Get a couple of linebackers there and a good corner and the team is set at D. Assuming that Winslow comes back and comes back healthy and Quinn progresses similar to Aaron Rodgers, this team is back to 10 wins, especially with the schedule next year. Can't complain about upper management, it's gone aside from Lerner, who is hands-off but is a great provider. New coach will have a fresh GM to grow with there.
:yes: I think the cornerstones are there in Cle. and that is why I voted from them. It would not surprise me if the team turns it around next year.

Detroit has a great young receiver and running back, the top pick in the draft and nowhere to go but up. If they can find a Pennington-like free agent on the market and improve their defense, why can't they win six or seven games next year?

Users who are viewing this thread