What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which Team Will Make the Biggest 1st Round Blunder? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
We see it every year. One team makes a head-scratchingly, face palm no good very bad terrible pick.

Some crazy reach for a player expected to go in the 2nd or later. Some player no one even remotely had on their draft sheet. A player no one mocked, not even once.

The most recent egregious example was probably Daniel Jones to the Giants at 1.06; when few had Jones as a top 15 pick, and some questioned whether he was even a 1st rounder.

So which team will pull a Gettleman this year?  Which team makes a no good very bad terrible pick? 

Last edited by a moderator:
With 8 teams holding 16 round  1 picks it's shaping up to be an epic draft for REACHES.

Teams with NEW in their name are always good candidates for busts (NYJ, NYG, NEP).  NOR not so much.

Scared to death that the Saints do it with a QB in the first.  And double scared to double death that they package their two firsts to move up and do it.  I feel like the franchise is desperate to avoid slipping into a decade long abyss post-Brees and Payton, and they'll swing for the fences to try and avoid it. 

Scared to death that the Saints do it with a QB in the first.  And double scared to double death that they package their two firsts to move up and do it.  I feel like the franchise is desperate to avoid slipping into a decade long abyss post-Brees and Payton, and they'll swing for the fences to try and avoid it. 
And a new GM too, right?  

From what I’ve read, no teams are trying to trade up to get those QBs, which says a lot about this QB class.

Unless they fall to the end of the round, they’re going to be considered sketchy picks.  And even then, they might still be bad picks. 

I'd say anyone taking Burks or Penning in round 1. Both guys are super flawed prospects. 

If I'm being team specific, the Jags if they do anything other than Hutchinson or trade down, but especially if its Walker at #1. 

Green Bay....they will watch London, Williams, Olave, Wilson and Burks go off the board and panic.
I think GB makes a move up when the fourth one of those guys goes off the board.

Personally I think there will be a WR run early because 1) there are some legit top ten athletes out there and 2) there are 4 teams in the middle/late 1st (KC, GB, N.O. & Phi) with a ton of draft capital and a middling/desperate need for a WR. Add in the Jets, Texans, Falcons & Commodores who could all use a top end WR and I see GB having to move up to ~15 to get one of those five guys.

I feel like it might be kind of a boring draft with lots of D & OL going off the board in the 1st.

ironically, that would be the best way to avoid being the “winner” of this topic. 

I feel like it might be kind of a boring draft with lots of D & OL going off the board in the 1st.

ironically, that would be the best way to avoid being the “winner” of this topic. 
Except for the lack of QBs this year, thats most years though. Usually it’s 2-4QBs, 5-6WRs and 1 RB. Except for maybe the QBs I think we see the same at WR and RB.

ETA: of course QBs add marquee value to the draft.

My Panthers will pick a trash QB at 6 instead of a stud LT.  Just to add insult to injury it will be Malik Willis, and we will suffer through another decade of watching a RB try to play QB.  Hell, with my luck he’ll do all the same stupid ### dabs and other “look at me” garbage that Madea did on the field for years. 🤦‍♂️😢

Texans. We have a new GM making his first ever first round selections at 3 and 13. 

Until otherwise proven wrong, the Texans are Lucy with the football. We blow it on one pick (afraid it’s injury prone Stingley at 3) and then double down panic reach for need at 13. 

My Panthers will pick a trash QB at 6 instead of a stud LT.  Just to add insult to injury it will be Malik Willis, and we will suffer through another decade of watching a RB try to play QB.  Hell, with my luck he’ll do all the same stupid ### dabs and other “look at me” garbage that Madea did on the field for years. 🤦‍♂️😢
MVP and a Super Bowl berth would be a great outcome from any QB

MVP and a Super Bowl berth would be a great outcome from any QB
I’d prefer to actually have more than 3 winning seasons and a Super Bowl loss from their next QB.  Ability to accurately throw a football more than 7 yards would be an added bonus. 👍

Texans. We have a new GM making his first ever first round selections at 3 and 13. 

Until otherwise proven wrong, the Texans are Lucy with the football. We blow it on one pick (afraid it’s injury prone Stingley at 3) and then double down panic reach for need at 13. 
Nailed it, so far.

I like the draft picks the Ravens made, but trading away your QB’s best friend out of nowhere when he’s in the middle of contract negotiations and possibly pissing him off is a bit of an odd move.
Maybe but LJax still has to prove he can push his team to a championship level and with the return of the rb room and with Bateman, Andrews and the other young wr's he has an opportunity to prove himself with the offense And make himself some money. He chose to bet on himself and the Ravens are accommodating him. There's still more draft and off season moves to be made so we shall see.

1.08-Atlanta Falcons...this was the first Horn Please but certainly not the last. 

4 Wide Receivers flew off the board between 8 and 12? I cannot understand the love for Drake. You have a big Tight End taken Top 3-4-5 last season? I am not against a WR but I feel strongly the next 3, all of them were graded and better prospects than Drake London. I did not like this pick. 

1.15-Houston Texans...Green is a good solid OG but after they took Stingley at No 3 overall which I feel is a little questionable, he seems to get hurt more often than some of the other top DBs that were drafted. 

1.18-Tennessee Titans...trading AJB and a surefire 80+yds and a TD almost any week he starts and he has 36 of them in 3 seasons, it's not like he pulls Will Fullers every year. Kid is a stud and I doubt Burks will make folks forget about him. 

Slim is on a rookie deal for the next 2-3 more years, they(Igglz) spent a fortune on AJB but they can get away with it. QB and WR1/WR1a, both are on rookie deals and the luxury of AJB for either Hurts or a potential 2023 Rookie, they are laying the tracks and I like it. 

Titans will not be going on a deep run this year. 

1.29-New England takes OG Cole Strange, never heard of him or wasn't on any sheets I was looking at. They had to replace Shaq Mason, good luck. 

Apparently Hollywood Brown requested to be traded a while ago. Kudos to the Ravens for somehow keeping that under wraps this long.
Double kudos for getting more than they invested in him, despite him never really putting it all together. 

After Philly, the Ravens might be #2 in how night 1 went. Hamilton falling, and basically trading Brown for Linderbaum (which is a trade I'd make if they cost the same, let alone saving several millions) was another in a long line of quality Ravens moves.

The Jags have proven to be grossly incompetent...that's my vote.

What do I get for winning this thread?
Here is the thing...Travon Walker is a terrific player and if they didn't take him No 1 he likely would have been gone Top 5 and it was impossible for Jax to trade back. 

-They have this game called the largest outdoor cocktail party and it features Georgia and Florida but takes place in Jax which is minutes from the GA-FL State line and I think some of this is Walker and Georgie winning the Title, Khan is going to sell some tickets. He has the QB, he has a potential star on Defense, it's likely going to work out better than we think. They have a competent coach after the debacle last year with Urban Meyer. 

I'm not sure it's as bad as some might think it is. Who was Jacksonville supposed to take? Any of the Top 3 Edge guys could have gone No 1 overall. I do like Hutch as much or more than the other 2 taken high tonight. 

1.08-Atlanta Falcons...this was the first Horn Please but certainly not the last. 

4 Wide Receivers flew off the board between 8 and 12? I cannot understand the love for Drake. You have a big Tight End taken Top 3-4-5 last season? I am not against a WR but I feel strongly the next 3, all of them were graded and better prospects than Drake London. I did not like this pick. 

1.15-Houston Texans...Green is a good solid OG but after they took Stingley at No 3 overall which I feel is a little questionable, he seems to get hurt more often than some of the other top DBs that were drafted. 

1.18-Tennessee Titans...trading AJB and a surefire 80+yds and a TD almost any week he starts and he has 36 of them in 3 seasons, it's not like he pulls Will Fullers every year. Kid is a stud and I doubt Burks will make folks forget about him. 

Slim is on a rookie deal for the next 2-3 more years, they(Igglz) spent a fortune on AJB but they can get away with it. QB and WR1/WR1a, both are on rookie deals and the luxury of AJB for either Hurts or a potential 2023 Rookie, they are laying the tracks and I like it. 

Titans will not be going on a deep run this year. 

1.29-New England takes OG Cole Strange, never heard of him or wasn't on any sheets I was looking at. They had to place Shaq Mason, good luck. 
It seems the Titans couldn’t afford AJB, so he’s gone.  It’s going to be uphill for that offense next year.  

It seems the Titans couldn’t afford AJB, so he’s gone.  It’s going to be uphill for that offense next year.  
Can they afford Burks in 3 years? What's the incentive for a WR coming on to this team when they see a kid display real talent and took the NFL by storm early on in his career, was turning heads and then he hits a couple bumps mostly injury and they trade him away. So even if I ball out and do well they are likely to trade me anyways, that's the message they send. 

And i totally understand that you are not in any way agreeing with the Titans decision, just stating they couldn't afford him. I feel like there needs to be a better description because the Titans are not innocent victims of the system. They can pay anyone they want, they CHOSE not to retain or extend or put AJB in their future plans. 

It's going to be interesting how many teams that made a big WR splash end up on the outside looking in come Playoffs time. 

Can they afford Burks in 3 years? What's the incentive for a WR coming on to this team when they see a kid display real talent and took the NFL by storm early on in his career, was turning heads and then he hits a couple bumps mostly injury and they trade him away. So even if I ball out and do well they are likely to trade me anyways, that's the message they send. 

And i totally understand that you are not in any way agreeing with the Titans decision, just stating they couldn't afford him. I feel like there needs to be a better description because the Titans are not innocent victims of the system. They can pay anyone they want, they CHOSE not to retain or extend or put AJB in their future plans. 

It's going to be interesting how many teams that made a big WR splash end up on the outside looking in come Playoffs time. 
The WR market blew up this year.  The  cap limitations are the reality of the NFL.  Hill, Adams, Hollywood, Christian Kirk, AJB…will be interesting to see how those moves play out…

Double kudos for getting more than they invested in him, despite him never really putting it all together. 

After Philly, the Ravens might be #2 in how night 1 went. Hamilton falling, and basically trading Brown for Linderbaum (which is a trade I'd make if they cost the same, let alone saving several millions) was another in a long line of quality Ravens moves.
Those two and Detroit “won” the first round. 

Ministry of Pain said:
1.29-New England takes OG Cole Strange, never heard of him or wasn't on any sheets I was looking at. They had to replace Shaq Mason, good luck. 
Strange is going to end up as a solid player.

- Strange had the 7th highest athletic score of 1,298 guards evaluated over the past 35 years.
- His size and measurables are almost the same as former 1st round pick, All Pro, and 6-time Pro Bowler Logan Mankins (who went to Fresno State and sparked the same reaction when NE picked him in the late first in 2005).
- The last time Strange allowed a sack was 2018.
- He's played all 5 positions on the OL.
- He played on a team that averaged 205 rushing yards per game the past 3 seasons (and fits the NE run heavy scheme).
- He topped the NE draft board for all OL prospects this year and was signed off on by former NE OL coaching guru Dante Scarnecchia.
- Since Strange was selected, people have surveyed teams around the league and found multiple teams that had him as a potential second-round pick. BB seemingly was not blowing smoke when he said he wasn't falling very far past the Pats pick. (People are suggesting BB knew exactly which team was going to draft Strange if he were on the board.)
- Of the last 5 OL players NE drafted in the Top 50, 3 of them became All Pros (Vollmer, Light, and Mankins) as did another player picked just outside that range (Thuney).

All that being said, Strange may end up being a Day 1 and long-time starter for NE. As I mentioned in the draft day thread, NE had other more pressing needs and lacks high-end talent/impact players. Drafting Strange is the furthest thing from that. As someone posted on twitter, how will Strange do covering Stefon Diggs this year?

Strange will end up being a versatile and valuable asset. But he isn't going to stretch the field and catch 100 balls for 1300/12 as a #1 receiver, he's not going to get a dozen sacks, and he isn't a lockdown corner. Sure, he fills a hole, but not one of their biggest ones. I am sure that there are second- and third-day picks available as decent IOL options. How likely will there be a difference maker / game changer at CB / LB / WR in those rounds (that gets picked by NE)? Lots of rumors of NE taking WR John Metchie in the second round. He seems like a very good receiver . . . but is he a difference maker?

Sam Quentin said:
The WR market blew up this year.  The  cap limitations are the reality of the NFL.  Hill, Adams, Hollywood, Christian Kirk, AJB…will be interesting to see how those moves play out…

Then why did they take another WR?  Just so if they hit on him they are just right back in the same situation in a couple of years?

This seems like a dangerous game to play.  You either draft a WR and he sucks, or you draft him and he's good and you don't pay him.  2-3 years of production before you have to get rid of him doesn't seem like a big enough upside to use a 1st round pick.  They should either punt on WR, or pay them.

Somehow the Rams managed to give Kupp a $19million cap hit this year, AND pay Stafford, AND pay Donald, AND pay Miller, AND pay Ramsey, AND still be on the hook for some of Goff and Gurley's money.

Mostly I'm just in awe of LA's GM.  Other teams panic when they have one expensive player.  The Rams sign 7 huge contracts in a 3 year span when everyone in the world said they'd only be able to afford 2-3 of them max.

Strange is going to end up as a solid player.

- Strange had the 7th highest athletic score of 1,298 guards evaluated over the past 35 years.
- His size and measurables are almost the same as former 1st round pick, All Pro, and 6-time Pro Bowler Logan Mankins (who went to Fresno State and sparked the same reaction when NE picked him in the late first in 2005).
- The last time Strange allowed a sack was 2018.
- He's played all 5 positions on the OL.
- He played on a team that averaged 205 rushing yards per game the past 3 seasons (and fits the NE run heavy scheme).
- He topped the NE draft board for all OL prospects this year and was signed off on by former NE OL coaching guru Dante Scarnecchia.
- Since Strange was selected, people have surveyed teams around the league and found multiple teams that had him as a potential second-round pick. BB seemingly was not blowing smoke when he said he wasn't falling very far past the Pats pick. (People are suggesting BB knew exactly which team was going to draft Strange if he were on the board.)
- Of the last 5 OL players NE drafted in the Top 50, 3 of them became All Pros (Vollmer, Light, and Mankins) as did another player picked just outside that range (Thuney).

All that being said, Strange may end up being a Day 1 and long-time starter for NE. As I mentioned in the draft day thread, NE had other more pressing needs and lacks high-end talent/impact players. Drafting Strange is the furthest thing from that. As someone posted on twitter, how will Strange do covering Stefon Diggs this year?

Strange will end up being a versatile and valuable asset. But he isn't going to stretch the field and catch 100 balls for 1300/12 as a #1 receiver, he's not going to get a dozen sacks, and he isn't a lockdown corner. Sure, he fills a hole, but not one of their biggest ones. I am sure that there are second- and third-day picks available as decent IOL options. How likely will there be a difference maker / game changer at CB / LB / WR in those rounds (that gets picked by NE)? Lots of rumors of NE taking WR John Metchie in the second round. He seems like a very good receiver . . . but is he a difference maker?
all of that might be true. What is equally true is he absolutely would have been there for their next pick.

all of that might be true. What is equally true is he absolutely would have been there for their next pick.
Absolutely no way of knowing that. Just because you claim that doesn't make it so.

Sure, he may not have been on the radar for 25 teams, but there were several teams that had him on their list of second round lineman. BB and NE seemed very confident they knew exactly who was going to take him if they didn't. Just like last year, they knew that they didn't have to move up to take Mac Jones. Teams have a very good idea what the other teams will do in the top 50 picks or so. It's always a safe bet that guys that run teams for a living have way more knowledge and intel than the fan base or media members do.

Users who are viewing this thread