What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which team will win the Super Bowl? (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
This will probably work best if we use the following technique:"(Insert team here) will win because (brief explanation)."Nothing too elaborate. Simple is better.Please be civil and keep the personal attacks to a minimum.I'll start . . .New England will win because they will dictate the tempo of the game, minimize the Panther's running attack, and feast on a rookie QB forced to pass to move the ball.

carolina panthers will barely win because new england does not have a running game to speak of and the carolina panthers defense is not too shabby, and their offense is not as one dimensional as everyone thinks.

New England will win because I believe that Carolina hasn't faced a defense as good as this New England defense in the playoffs. I think Dallas, St. Louis, and Philly were relatively week defenses late in the season and they'll be in for a rude awakening vs. this Patriot defense.

New England will win because I believe that Carolina hasn't faced a defense as good as this New England defense in the playoffs. I think Dallas, St. Louis, and Philly were relatively week defenses late in the season and they'll be in for a rude awakening vs. this Patriot defense.
Wow, almost exactly the way I see it :thumbup: CAR will not run on NE and their offense is in for a very long day. The CAR front 4 is neutralized and their secondary exposed by Brady's 3 step drops, multi receiver sets and spread formations. It may be close for a while but NE will win going away and become the worst team ever to win 15 games in a row and TWO SB's in 3 years ;)

New England will win because they are the best team. ;) The Panthers honestly have zero chance of winning this game. The only thing Carolina can do on offense is run the ball and NE will stuff the run all night long. (Considering that Carolina's offense has struggled against poor NFC defenses all year long and the NE defense has stopped all of the high powered AFC offenses, Carolina will not even be able to break the line of scrimmage with the run.) Without the run, the Panthers will be forced to use their feeble passing game which will lead to INTs and Defensive TDs for the Pats. On defense, the Panthers have not faced an offensive threat all year like the Pats passing attack. The Pats will be able to move the ball at will against this over matched defensive unit. The only way the game stays somewhat close early on is if the Panthers return a kick and/or score a defensive TD early. Even then, the Pats should have the game iced by the midpoint of the 3rd quarter. 37-16 NE.Matter of fact, this Panthers team could be the worst team to ever play in the Super Bowl. It really is a shame that we couldn't have gotten a better team to face NE. That way the Super Bowl would have been fun and exciting.

The Patriots will win the game by 4-7 points because they will be able to move the ball well enough on the Panthers to stay ahead of them.The Panthers will cover the spread because they will do exactly what they always do - minimize your offense by keeping theirs on the field, score two TDs on offense and maybe a FG to keep the game close. But, close games = Patriots' forte and the Patriots will win a close game, though they will control the game from opening kickoff to the closing minutes.Last play of the game = Brady's backup kneeling down.

The Panthers will win because their front-four will get pressure on Brady, and they will control the clock with their running game. Finally, I'm pretty sure that the Earth would implode if JJ Stokes received a Super Bowl ring. ;)

The Patriots will win the game because they match up well with the Panthers in a number of areas:* The quick hitting draw runs that the Pats used against the Colts work well against an upfield rushing front four like the Panthers. Especially when their linebackers aren't all that special.* The Panther secondary isn't very deep and can be exploited by the 4 and 5 wide sets that the Pats favor.* The Panther running game should be somewhat neutralized by a swarming Pats run defense that has run stoppers on the line (Big Ted), in the middle (Bruschi) and in the secondary (Harrison).

I think Dallas, St. Louis, and Philly were relatively week defenses late in the season and they'll be in for a rude awakening vs. this Patriot defense.
They must not be too "week" since you picked each one of them to beat Carolina in the playoffs. :rolleyes: Carolina will win because they WILL be able to run the ball just enough and Jake will make a few plays in the passing game. No homefield advantage for the Pats either.

I agree, with some wordsmithing. I would say that Carolina has not faced as disciplined a defense as NE. Dallas, St.Louis and Philly are all aggressive defenses. NE's D is more about assignments and gap control, with selective blitzing. When healthy, Philly's secondary is right up there with NE in the outstanding category, but injuries on the DLine and secondary killed the Iggles this year. Carolina's approach is similar to NE's, but with a better DLine than NE and a good but not as good secondary as NE. I see this game coming down to Brady vs Delhomme, so I give an edge to NE due to the creativity of Weiss.Then again, on any given sunday....

New England will win because they are a complete team (or more complete team for the sake of arguement): Offense, Defense and Spec. Teams. Car is basically just a Good D with a solid running game.

New England will win because they are a complete team (or more complete team for the sake of arguement): Offense, Defense and Spec. Teams. Car is basically just a Good D with a solid running game.
You're selling the Panthers short....1. Delhomme's stats are in the same ballpark as Brady's. 2. As BB noted, the Panthers had as many 20+ yard plays out of the passing game as the Colts. 3. The Panthers punting game kicks the living crap out of the Pats punting game.4. Their kicker doesn't have as many "famous" clutch kicks as Adam, but he's no slouch

New England will destroy them because Carolina is a not real good. Beating Bulger, the choke artist McNabb, and Carter is nothing to get excited about. Here comes a real team.

The Panthers will win a very close Super Bowl because their passing attack is much better than a lot of people want to give them credit for. Delhomme can get the job done, and his weapons - especially if they utilize Foster out of the backfield - aren't too shabby. Just because they haven't necessarily needed to doesn't mean they can't pass the ball. I happen to believe they can. They'll be able to run the ball enough to open up passing lanes, and their defense should be able to put relatively consistent pressure on Brady and stop any semblance of a running game New England will hope to establish.That's not a knock on the Patriots, but they're about to run into a team that ALSO "just gets the job done."

Carolina will win because their defense will keep them in the game (when did the Patriots become such an offensive juggenaugt anyway??) and they will run the ball well. Thier passing game is a lot better than most people think.I do think that the Patriots are the better team but I don't think that they are SO MUCH better than the Panthers that the Panthers can't beat them.Panthers 20-17

As a Panther homer, I have to reluctantly concede that NE should win because of BRADY. I believe both team's defenses are on par with each other. Carolina has more playmakers than NE does at RB and WR, but I am a big believer in BRADY. I believe this is the game where he will remove doubts that he is an elite NFL QB. BRADY has the ability to will his team to win this game.

Matter of fact, this Panthers team could be the worst team to ever play in the Super Bowl. It really is a shame that we couldn't have gotten a better team to face NE. That way the Super Bowl would have been fun and exciting.
:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Matter of fact, this Panthers team could be the worst team to ever play in the Super Bowl. It really is a shame that we couldn't have gotten a better team to face NE. That way the Super Bowl would have been fun and exciting.
Ya - hey, Monkeywrench - any game involving the Pats winning is destined to be boring because that is how they win.An "exciting" team doing what they do to make the game "exciting" would result in the Pats forced to play keep up.

Pssssst...................I was actually trying to use the same type of "reasons" from two years ago. With Ole Yellow being gone I couldn't get direct quotes, but the consensus back then seemed to be that NE had ZERO chance against the mighty Rams in the Super Bowl. A lot of people were complaining that a Rams/Steelers or Rams/Raiders Super Bowl would have been a much better matchup and the Rams/Pats matchup would be a blowout and not exciting. I think it is funny that some fans of the team that beat all odds and proved they belonged (as well as other nay sayers) are now so quick to give the Panthers no chance of winning. How quickly they seem to forget.

Carolina will win because they have a very good defense as well. Plus, they have a better running attack and their OL is playing as well if not better than their DL. The Panthers have the most underated passing attack in the NFL. Delhomme is effective and will once again be relied upon to not make the mistakes and leave the grinding to the running game. Everyone knows that the Panthers will run so it will be a violent collision up front all day long! Blood, sweat and tears will bring no quarter for 4 quarters!The Carolina DL can break the patriots OL and if they do Brady is going to take a beating. Coverage and keeping from playing from behind is critical to the Panthers performance. The DBs have been doing it in the post season and to tell you the truth the little yellow flag might just determine the manner in which this game will go early on. The Carolina STs can be a real threat as well. This is such an even MU and that favors the Panthers because they have been getting better and better and they have been the best in close games all year long.

Ya - hey, Monkeywrench - any game involving the Pats winning is destined to be boring because that is how they win.
The same can be said of the Panthers. I'm sorry that some people see this as a boring matchup or a lopsided matchup. I think this game has the makings of being a very tough, hard fought game. The Panthers will try to pound on NE's defense with the run and NE will try to spread the Panther D with 4 and 5 WRs. I think the winner will be the team that can land the first knockout punch. (A defensive TD by the Pats or a long TD pass by the Panthers.) In the end, I think NE will be able to move the ball on offense while the Panthers use the "bend but don't break" defense. This will lead to a TD and several FGs by NE. I think Carolina will be able to move the ball some on the ground, but they will not be able to eat the clock and control the tempo like they would like to. They will be forced to play mistake free ball and use a turnover and/or a kick return to setup a couple of scores to keep the game close. The game should still be up for grabs late into the 4th with a NE defensive TD icing the game for NE OR a Brady TD pass in the final two minutes winning the game for NE.As a Panthers fan, I hope I am wrong about the above. We will see in a few days.

"The Panthers' passing game is a lot better than most people think.""The Panthers have the most underrated passing attack in the NFL."Certainly Delhomme and the Panthers' passing attack will never be confused with the Colts, and the Pats shut down Manning with ease."I believe both team's defenses are on par with each other."The Pats ranked #1 in fewest points allowed. The Panthers ranked 11th. I'm not saying the Panthers defense is bad, but I think New England has a definite advantage."The consensus back then seemed to be that NE had ZERO chance against the mighty Rams in the Super Bowl."Comparing the 2003 Pats to the 2001 Rams is laughable. The Rams were average on defense. Everyone knows defense wins championships. (TB, NE, Bal, etc in the last few years).And no one in the Patriots organization has said anything but positives about the Panthers and how good they are, so I don't see NE taking this game lightly at all.The other thing about the Patriots is that they played a TON of top defenses all season, and they played many potent offenses as well. In all those cases, they still won. I don't see Carolina being as good on either side of the ball as many other teams the Pats have played to date.I stick by my guns that had Carolina played in the AFC East, South , or West, they likely would have missed the playoffs altogther. I think they have a good team, but I just don't see them being a championship team.

You people are too analytical, fate has spoken and it has chosen the Panthers.

PlayStation 2 contest bodes well for Panthers

MARY C. CURTIS

Staff Writer - Charlotte.com

HOUSTON - It's only a game -- but not really. It's the ninth-annual "Game before the game," a simulation of the Super Bowl played on 989 Sports NFL GameDay 2004 on PlayStation 2.

This year, Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers faced Troy Brown of the New England Patriots. Both are wide receivers.

For the past eight years, players from the AFC and NFC championship teams have gone head-to-head. Deion Sanders and Pat O'Brien of "Access Hollywood" were on hand for jokes and play-by-play Wednesday night.

Sanders noticed that Smith "relied on a heavy dose of Stephen Davis." The crucial receptions at game's end fell to Smith, of course.

Final score: 29-21 Panthers.

What was on everyone's mind: Eight years in a row, whoever wins this baby wins the Super Bowl.

I bet your team "can't wait to see you," Sanders told Brown, who looked none too pleased.

After winning, Smith held up his trophy and said, "I'd like to thank ..." surely hoping to repeat the scene Sunday.

You're selling the Panthers short....1. Delhomme's stats are in the same ballpark as Brady's. 2. As BB noted, the Panthers had as many 20+ yard plays out of the passing game as the Colts. 3. The Panthers punting game kicks the living crap out of the Pats punting game.4. Their kicker doesn't have as many "famous" clutch kicks as Adam, but he's no slouch
Maybe I am, but I don't think so. I really only see 2 aspects (not going by stats, but what I've actually seen) of the game where I see an advantage to the Panthers. Those two being the running game and punting. I would much rather have Brady and the NE passing attack (especially in a big game where he is unbeaten). The Car. D is good yes, but agian I would rather walk into Hou. knowing I have the guys in blue/red/silver on my side! I give the return games a push. And finally if the game comes down to one play and its a field goal. I also know exactly who I want kicking that ball and again he plays for the Pats.I'm not down playing the Panthers, just see NE as one of if not the most complete teams in years. Car. is a very good team and earned the right to be in the Superbowl. If they win I will be happy for them, as I am a fan of niether team. Actually a Pats loss may be good, kinda revenge for beating the Steelers in the AFC Champ 2 years ago, just don't see it happening.

"The Panthers' passing game is a lot better than most people think."

"The Panthers have the most underrated passing attack in the NFL."

Certainly Delhomme and the Panthers' passing attack will never be confused with the Colts, and the Pats shut down Manning with ease.

I will bite just for a good winter day debate. The last I checked the Colts were done 2 weeks ago and the Panthers are in the Big Game. They are there for a reason and to tell you the truth, I think that Pats are not taking them lightly but I think that the Pat fans are. That is not a bad thing and it is absolutely a natural fan reaction but the Panthers are here for a reason. Stats can be tossed up here all day long but the game will be played and that is why the NFL has not given the Lombardi trophy over to the Pats. Plus, since when has the vaunted Colt offense become the measuring stick for all other teams? The Panthers laid a beating on the Colts as well and the Pats are not at home to get that advantage. The coaching staff gives tham an advantage and that is the only reason why the Panthers will not beat them as bad as they could.

I stick by my guns that had Carolina played in the AFC East, South , or West, they likely would have missed the playoffs altogther. I think they have a good team, but I just don't see them being a championship team.

With all due respect, why should the Panthers shake in their shoes with the likes of the Bills, Miami and the Jets? They would have manhandled these teams easily. All three of these teams had some real bad QB play and problems with the running game for the most part (I will give you Travis Henry). They would have never been able to withstand the Carolina defense but this is a well rounded team and if the defense was bending other areas would pick it up- running game, passing attack and STs.

AFC south? The Titans put a whipping on 'em but the Titans put a scare into the Pats themselves. That was probably the good ### kicking of the year for the Panthers but all teams take a beating in the year. That pathetic Bills team just ran rough shod over the Pats in week 1. Again, the Colts went limping after the Panthers ran all over 'em. The Texans beat them but are you telling me that the Texans are better than the Panthers? Could be the case. But the Jags were not much of a force so they would have contended in this division.

The AFC West? Are you kidding me? Davis would have added another 500 yards rushing if he was going up against the cream puffs here. The Raiders and the Chargers could not beat the Bears. Heck, the Raiders could not beat anyone but their HC. KC? Hmmmm would have been a nice game but KC was playing weak teams well at home this year. The Chargers? No go! Denver- ummm lost to the Bears but could have hung with 'em- at best.

Not to take anything from the Pats, but the Panthers would have held their own this year with these divisions. They would have been a playoff team for sure. They bumped the SB champs off twice and avenged their losses to the Cowboys and the Eagles. This team earned a right to the SB.

Pats win by 10 or more points (24-10 or so)- Pats able to neutralize the Panthers front 4 with the short pass, thus exposing the Panther secondary and keeping Brady upright- Pats defense contains Panther running game (doesn't totally shut it down), forcing Panthers to the air much more then they like- Pats score first (TD on first drive), and mantain the lead throughout the game forcing the Panthers to play catchup - Pats win turnover battle (something like 3 to 1)Just my thoughts on how the game will play out

The Pats will win, because their offense will put up more on the Carolina D than Carolina will put up on the Pats D. I see a close game, with the Pats leading all the way. Then I see a INT TD from the Pats, and Delhomme falling apart (a la Bledsoe in 96, though it was the kick return that deflated them, along w/ the 4 picks). Then I see the Pats pulling away, covering the spread. Indi and TN put 14 on the Pats at home, in the snow. So, I expect no more than 14 out of the Panthers. The Panthers absolutely deserve to be there. I thought they would lose to St. Louis (and they should have), but they are clearly a better team than Philly. Dallas was fading fast at the end, and I expected Carolina to knock them off. Then theres the simple fact that in the loser go home tourney, the Panthers kept winning. I am so looking forward to this game. Both play the style of ball that I like. Not flashy, but effective, as they're in the SB, not the Rams, or Denver, or Green Bay, or the teams that many people have to label as 'better', because they didn't earn the title.

Power Monster -My point on switching Carolina to the AFC was that they would have had to beat out NE, Indy, Ten, KC, Mia, and Den to make the playoffs. The Panthers division this year was a cakewalk, and even if they didn't win their division a wildcard spot was easy to be had. Not so in the AFC.And if you hadn't noticed, all of the teams in the lowly AFC East gave up fewer points than the Panthers did.You can point out who lost to whom all day long, but Carolina lost to Houston and Atlanta.As I've also said a half dozen times, you can throw the stats out the window at this point, as none of them will matter come Sunday.I have no problem with the Panthers being in the SB--they did what they had to do to get there (if Martz had any stones they probably wouldn't be, but that's another issue).

Comparing the 2003 Pats to the 2001 Rams is laughable. The Rams were average on defense. Everyone knows defense wins championships. (TB, NE, Bal, etc in the last few years).
I'm comparing the situations. In 2001, most people were talking about how NE (13-5) had no chance of winning the Super Bowl because the Rams (16-2) were clearly the better team. The real question seemed to be how many points the Rams would win by. In 2003, a lot of people (some NE fans included) are talking about how Carolina (14-5) has no chance of winning the Super Bowl because the Patriots (16-2) are clearly the better team. The real question seems to be how many points the Patriots will win by.Can you not see the similarities in the two situations? In 2001, after the Pats won, the debate began as to whether that Pats team was the 'worst' team to win the Super Bowl. In 2003, if the Panthers win, the debate will begin again whether this Panthers team was the 'worst' team to win the Super Bowl.
I think they have a good team, but I just don't see them being a championship team.
Weren't these things also said about the Pats going into the Super Bowl in 2001?

I think the Panthers will win because:1. They will win the war in the trenches on both sides of the ball.2. Tom Brady has been slumping recently. Against the Titans he averaged under 5 yards per attempt. Against the Colts he looked even worse. The Colts defense is sad. He should have lit them up. Instead, Brady threw 5-6 INTs, but the Colts only caught 1. And that 1 was a terrible pass in the endzone. I don't care if he led the NFL in TD passes two years ago. Its about what are you doing for me NOW. Brady is slumping NOW.3. The Panthers have reversed their fortunes in the turnover department. Again, its about what are you doing for me NOW. The Panthers' defense will give their offense a short field a couple of times, leading to easier scores. The Panthers WON'T be able to sustain long drives all day, but good field position will overcome it.Sure, I could be wrong. I don't feel confident in this prediction as I was when I thought the 49ers would beat the Chargers. I think its a close game that the Panthers win.

"I think they have a good team, but I just don't see them being a championship team." Weren't these things also said about the Pats going into the Super Bowl in 2001?
I was not among them that said the Pats had no chance in 2001. In fact, on the yellow boards, I predicted the Pats would win straight out without getting their 14 points--and I'm not a Pats fan.I would be the first to admit the Rams had a better team that year, but they got outcoached and outplayed by the Patriots.Should the Panthers figure a way to win this year, my hats off to them for a fine season and a great game plan to win the big one.But first they have to win.I chuckled yesterday at an interview with ESPN's Tom Jackson. He picked the Panthers because they have bigger names and more star power, and that's what wins championships. Apparently the results Brady & Co. have posted over the past few years don't mean anything.

Just curious why you feel they "should have" lost to the Rams?
I absolutely thought that Car. deserved to win that game. They completely controled the tempo and game for 3 1/2 quarters. St.L got fortunate to be in that game late and even more fortunate to get the onside kick back.

Just curious why you feel they "should have" lost to the Rams?
The Rams elected to run the clock instead of trying to score from the Panthers' 12 yard line and kicked a FG to send it to OT. With an offense like the Rams', they could have easily tried taking shots at the end zone. They even had time and timeouts to go underneath or across the middle. Not the ballsiest move I've ever seen, that's for sure . . .

Indi and TN put 14 on the Pats at home, in the snow. So, I expect no more than 14 out of the Panthers.
At home versus crippled McNair in sub-freezing temps, and Manning who had 2 picks in the end zone - also in cold weather.This will be in decent weather in Houston (maybe a little rain through the hole in the dome - but certainly not freezing temps). Do NOT underestimate the Panthers O - they have scored at least 2 offensive TDs in 10 of their last 11 games against every type of defense. They were able to run the score up on the Cowboys' defense. Also, the Pats have won by less than 7 points in all their road victories except one (versus a lifeless Eagles team in week 2) - I like the Pats D a LOT, but an excellent case can be made that it is TRULY EXCEPTIONAL at home, but beatable away from Foxboro.I think the Pats will win a close game, but I think the Panthers will be able to score more than 14 points - probably at least in the 17-20 range.

I absolutely thought that Car. deserved to win that game. They completely controled the tempo and game for 3 1/2 quarters. St.L got fortunate to be in that game late and even more fortunate to get the onside kick back.
Agreed - Panthers deserved to win and had that game through 3,.5 quarters. But Anarchy's also right - they should have lost. Martz not taking shots at the end zone from the 12 with 40+ seconds left was simply ridiculous.

I think the Panthers will win because:1. They will win the war in the trenches on both sides of the ball.2. Tom Brady has been slumping recently. Against the Titans he averaged under 5 yards per attempt. Against the Colts he looked even worse. The Colts defense is sad. He should have lit them up. Instead, Brady threw 5-6 INTs, but the Colts only caught 1. And that 1 was a terrible pass in the endzone. I don't care if he led the NFL in TD passes two years ago. Its about what are you doing for me NOW. Brady is slumping NOW.3. The Panthers have reversed their fortunes in the turnover department. Again, its about what are you doing for me NOW. The Panthers' defense will give their offense a short field a couple of times, leading to easier scores. The Panthers WON'T be able to sustain long drives all day, but good field position will overcome it.Sure, I could be wrong. I don't feel confident in this prediction as I was when I thought the 49ers would beat the Chargers. I think its a close game that the Panthers win.
INT's don't count if u don't cath em skippy and ur estimation of 5-6 is about as accurate as your "Broncos are the real dynasty and will win the Super Bowl this year" rantings. It is ridiculous for U to count imaginary Ints and then ignore 2 easy TD drops by Fauria, one of which immediatly proceeded the 1 real Int Brady threw. Since you LOVE to talk about Brady's slump how about you tell us NOW what you are projecting for Brady in the SB? I will do likewise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolina will win because, Davis has alot left in the tank; I fact I would argue that his tank is full! Carolina will be able to run the ball "enough". This will enable Steve Smith and Delhomme to make some plays downfield. Smith is a tough cover for anyone, even Law. Carolina will pound the ball with Davis and stretch the field with Smith.

I was not among them that said the Pats had no chance in 2001. In fact, on the yellow boards, I predicted the Pats would win straight out without getting their 14 points--and I'm not a Pats fan.
Of course not everybody picked the Rams in 2001. Just like not everybody is picking the Pats this year. I just think it is funny that there is a large group of people that seem to have forgotten the result of the 2001 Super Bowl. The Pats were a huge underdog and were given no chance by many people in 2001. Now, the Panthers are a smaller underdog but are still given no chance to win by many people. The two biggest challenges I can see facing Carolina going in is experience and the secondary. The NE players have been here before and should know that they can't take Carolina lightly. They will also know what to expect when they walk out on the field. If Carolina can survive the 1st quarter (much like vs the Rams), they should be in the game late. The secondary will be the biggest problem. I don't think the Panthers can matchup with NE's 4 and 5 WR sets all night. Not really sure what Fox is going to do to handle all of those WRs, but something must be done if the Panthers hope to win. Also, Law should be able to take S Smith out of the Panthers passing game, which will be huge if the Panthers can't move the ball on the ground.
I would be the first to admit the Rams had a better team that year, but they got outcoached and outplayed by the Patriots.
Agreed. The problem facing the Panthers is that it will be very hard to outcoach the Patriots and we must assume that the players will be ready. But I also think the the Panthers' players and coaches will be ready for this game. But, in the end, that is why they play the games. Anything can, and often does, happen once the players step on the field.
Should the Panthers figure a way to win this year, my hats off to them for a fine season and a great game plan to win the big one.But first they have to win.
Oh, it will take a great game plan plus some more for the Panthers to win this game. But, if they can play mistake free football for 60 minutes (or more) on Sunday, they have a chance. I'm just trying to point out that it is rather foolish for people to say that the Panthers have no chance in this game. It is one thing to say that the Pats will win. I have no problem with that (see below.) But to say the Panthers have no chance either means you (non specific you) haven't watched much of the Panthers this year (only look at final score and/or stats) or you don't know what you are talking about. :boxing: Being a Panthers fan myself, I would have to take the Pats in this game, if my life depended on it. I don't think the Panthers have the needed players to stop the NE quick passing attack. I think the Panthers will hang in there but will be unable to get the big stop or big 1st down when they need it most. I also think the Panthers will turn the ball over at least one time and it will result in a NE TD.

Power Monster -My point on switching Carolina to the AFC was that they would have had to beat out NE, Indy, Ten, KC, Mia, and Den to make the playoffs. The Panthers division this year was a cakewalk, and even if they didn't win their division a wildcard spot was easy to be had. Not so in the AFC.And if you hadn't noticed, all of the teams in the lowly AFC East gave up fewer points than the Panthers did.You can point out who lost to whom all day long, but Carolina lost to Houston and Atlanta.As I've also said a half dozen times, you can throw the stats out the window at this point, as none of them will matter come Sunday.I have no problem with the Panthers being in the SB--they did what they had to do to get there (if Martz had any stones they probably wouldn't be, but that's another issue).
Fair enough but I still think that CAR would have whaled on the Bills, Jets and the Dolphins. While these teams contended with others in defensive stats they were all in the lower half offensive stats in the NFL (outside of the SB bound Pats). Not much offense going there. Also, both the Pats and the Panthers were 3-1 vs. the top 5 scoring defenses. Regardless, I just know that Carolina will play well and will probably pull the upset. Not quite the beating the Pats had to take from my 85 Bears team (7 yards rushing :excited: ) but heck it should be a winner. Plus, the Pats have been there now more times than the Bears but it is still the greatest sports memory!!!

The Rams elected to run the clock instead of trying to score from the Panthers' 12 yard line and kicked a FG to send it to OT. With an offense like the Rams', they could have easily tried taking shots at the end zone. They even had time and timeouts to go underneath or across the middle. Not the ballsiest move I've ever seen, that's for sure . . .
C'mon I thought this was about the SUPERBOWL.You guys are killin me.

Yeah, I thought that was what he was referring to. I actually deleted part of my post to make sure that is what he was referring to before I responded.I agree it was a terrible coaching move on Martz's part. But a TD there was not guaranteed. The Rams had been in a similar position several times before and been held to a FG. Even though the Rams had all of the momentum on their side at that point, we can not assume a TD would have been the end result if Martz had half a sack and actually ran a couple of plays before kicking the FG. That is why a "should have" seemed a little strong. To be honest, the Rams should have lost that game in regulation, since the Panthers controlled most of the game.

Panthers...For the past eight years, Sony PlayStation and 989 Sports have thrown a Super Bowl party together. For the past eight years, one star from each Super Bowl team has competed in the most current version of "NFL GameDay." And for the past eight years, the player who prevailed ended up winning a Super Bowl ring just a few days later.

The Patriots will win because Bill Belicheck has had two weeks to analyze the Panthers offense; the Panthers will be doing something if they even manage to score a lousy field goal in this game. :yes:

[QUOTE=']Panthers...For the past eight years, Sony PlayStation and 989 Sports have thrown a Super Bowl party together. For the past eight years, one star from each Super Bowl team has competed in the most current version of "NFL GameDay." And for the past eight years, the player who prevailed ended up winning a Super Bowl ring just a few days later.
[/QUOTE]Yeah I guess people were right when they said that the streak would have to end somewhere. It just won't be the Pats win streak, it will be this meaningless one.

Carolina will win because of a better running game. Miami is a team similar to Carolina in the running game/defense dept, with Carolina having a better passing game. It was a defensive, low scoring game each time Miami played the Pats this year. Carolina wins 17-10

Agreed - Panthers deserved to win and had that game through 3,.5 quarters. But Anarchy's also right - they should have lost. Martz not taking shots at the end zone from the 12 with 40+ seconds left was simply ridiculous.
THe case could also be made that, had the Colts caught 1-2 more of Brady's interceptions, that the Patriots are sitting at home right now, as well.

INT's don't count if u don't cath em skippy and ur estimation of 5-6 is about as accurate as
Why are you such a homer? Everyone saw the numerous times Colts defenders had their hands on the ball - only to simply DROP it. I say 5-6 because one of them really wasn't catchable - one of them came when the defender batted the ball up in the air down near the goal line, hoping another Colt could get it. I'm being LENIENT and not calling it a straight 6.Quotes from the game thread:http://footballguys.net/forum/index.php?ac...&hl=colts&st=70#########BGP: Colts can't make the big play. The colts' defense has dropped an interception on both of the Patriots' first two drives. The Patriots' defense, meanwhile, held onto the one interception opportunity they had. #########Vivian Darkbloom:Brady 2, Manning 0.And Brady has made more mistakes.He's just gotten away with them. #########Vivian Darkbloom:LOL. Pats make the spectacular INT (Ty Law), Colts can't hold on to the easy ones. #########BGP: Colts defense has now had the oppotunity to intercept 4 Brady passes, and have none. Patriots' defense is 2/2. (Note: They later pick Brady in the end zone, so they went 1 for 5)#########

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread