What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

white van pulled beside me w extra speakers (1 Viewer)

This happened to me once... we figured it was a scam and just led them on for like 15 minutes. They didn't look to happy when we finally left. :D

I can't believe that they are still doing this. 1st time I got approached was at least 15 yrs ago.

Then 3-4 more times over the next 5 yrs.

....and yes, the van was always white.

Don't feel too bad Chris, I fell for this about 5-6 years ago.

Guys in a white van selling "Dynalab USA" speakers.

Said they had some left over after an install at a local bar/club.

They even had a mag with an add listing them for some crazy high price.

That should have been my first clue that they were carrying around the mag.

The second thing that was fishy was after I got the speakers in my car and paid them, they gave me a receipt!

Fortunately I was able to get my money back by calling the number on the receipt and then taking them back to their shady warehouse about 45 minutes away.

:wall:

Did they give you a receipt or any info about who you could call to return them?
Nope, just a quick here's the cash, put the speakers in my car...maybe I should have locked the car and drove away :P But no receipts or numbers.

Just got out of Hallmark and a white van pulled up beside me offering a bunch of speakers.  In the catalog they're selling for $800.00 a piece and on the website MillenniumTheaterSystems they are selling for that.  The MTS 2605.

They offered me 2 of them for a very large fraction of cost.  They were two teenaged kids who looked ready to **** themselves from excitement.

So did I just make out on a great deal or should I  :ph34r: ?

EDIT: I did open the boxes and the speakers are brand new and look very high quality (the material they are made out of).
I'm pretty sure this is why the picked you.
:lmao:

:wall: I don't have the right cables I think to connect it. Larger than the standard red/white I have...will look further...

I'll stick with my NHT's. :thumbup:

On a serious note, there can be some very good bargains out there in used stereo equipment, if you are willing to take the risk / do your research to minimize that risk. I picked up a used audible illusions tubed pre amp that new would have been over 2G at the time, and I got it for 800 and change.

But you have to figure if something "falls of a truck" it is barely worth lifting.
My grandfather has given me plenty of good stuff that "fell off a truck" in the past.

:wall: I don't have the right cables I think to connect it. Larger than the standard red/white I have...will look further...
You have foreign speakers. You can only find those cables in the remote desert of Mongolia.

Those millenium speakers arent too bad really, two of my roommates last year got scammed into buying a pair of the same speakers for something like 240 for the pair. They are by no means great speakers but for 140 for the pair its not a bad deal.

I've got an extra set of the cables you need. I ordered one and the company screwed up the shipment -- pretty sweet because the one cost me like $200. How's $50 shipped sound?

I've got an extra set of the cables you need. I ordered one and the company screwed up the shipment -- pretty sweet because the one cost me like $200. How's $50 shipped sound?
:lmao:

Well, I have to head out to get some cables for my grandparent's surround speakers and will look for some for these 2 speakers while I'm there.

I never heard of this scam, but i know crappiness when I see it. LOL at the ebay links "HIgh quality MDF construction". "35-20k" range. You really watn to get that down to 20 form 35. 6.5' woofer? What happened to 10-12 inch woofers? ooohhhh, coated tweeters.

Been reading about other people in my area and see a lot paying $300, $400+ for the set. Glad I only paid $140...might not be such a bad deal afterall...heading home to test these out now...
Nice job getting those sweet speakers for only $140...stop trying to justify it kid, you got owned!

Been reading about other people in my area and see a lot paying $300, $400+ for the set.  Glad I only paid $140...might not be such a bad deal afterall...heading home to test these out now...
Nice job getting those sweet speakers for only $140...stop trying to justify it kid, you got owned!
If you have been reading about people being taken for $300-400? Then why go in at $140?You would think that this info (of other people pay more) would have been enough of a "red flag" for ya.

Edited to add: Maybe this was one of the guys that got beat for 3 bills trying to make back some of his $$.

Maybe this guy was out looking for and hunting for the guy he orriginally bought them off of .... then he saw you coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe this scam still exists. I remember getting the same sales pitch in a parking lot over 10 years ago and a couple times since then. The last time I told them I was calling the cops and they peeled out of there like a maniac.

Basically, these guys try to sell you an attractive looking case with extremely cheap or (worse yet) missing components on the inside. The real value of the speakers is probably less than $25. They are just selling a pile of *** in a shiny box.

I was in Indianapolis while driving to see a relative in West Virginia, when I had this scam tried on me. Until this day, I never realized this was a scam. I figured it was one of two things.

A. 2 guys that had legitimately stolen these speakers.

B. This was some sort of undercover thing by the local cops.

My conscience took over, and I ended up not buying them. To this day, I had wondered what would have happened if I'd have bought them. Now, I know, and I can quit wondering. :)

I paid $70 a piece, they wanted $600 so it wasn't too much....
No, you pretty much paid what they wanted.
Had several frends back in school work for some of these guys. I beleive they were on the hook for $80 per set and had to make as much profit as they could while still selling out each day.From what I've been told, the boxes aren't bad - you just need to get some decent speakers to put in them.

I was in Indianapolis while driving to see a relative in West Virginia, when I had this scam tried on me. Until this day, I never realized this was a scam. I figured it was one of two things.

A. 2 guys that had legitimately stolen these speakers.

B. This was some sort of undercover thing by the local cops.

My conscience took over, and I ended up not buying them. To this day, I had wondered what would have happened if I'd have bought them. Now, I know, and I can quit wondering. :)
:unsure:

i've had this exact deal offered to me 3 or 4 times. always at a gas station, for some reason. never taken it. i had a friend a couple of years ago who bought some from some guys like this. he got the speakers home and they didn't work at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had several frends back in school work for some of these guys. I beleive they were on the hook for $80 per set and had to make as much profit as they could while still selling out each day.
I didn't see any names mentioned. How do you know it was the same guys? :confused:

:fishing:

we've been had folks.
Nope, just got back from Radio Shack with a speaker wire to hook it up. Wasn't thinking and only bought one. Hooked up one of the speakers downstairs and it plays fine. I don't know for how long it will play but as of right now there aren't any problems with the speaker :unsure:

If you have been reading about people being taken for $300-400? Then why go in at $140?

You would think that this info (of other people pay more) would have been enough of a "red flag" for ya.

Edited to add: Maybe this was one of the guys that got beat for 3 bills trying to make back some of his $$.

Maybe this guy was out looking for and hunting for the guy he orriginally bought them off of .... then he saw you coming.
I read about it after I bought the speakers in the link that was posted on this thread.

Had several frends back in school work for some of these guys. I beleive they were on the hook for $80 per set and had to make as much profit as they could while still selling out each day.
I didn't see any names mentioned. How do you know it was the same guys? :confused:
Same scam - I seriously doubt the same people. Plus this was over 10 years ago.Don't see why you'd risk doing this for too long especially with the money you can make quickly.

:fishing:

we've been had folks.
Nope, just got back from Radio Shack with a speaker wire to hook it up. Wasn't thinking and only bought one. Hooked up one of the speakers downstairs and it plays fine. I don't know for how long it will play but as of right now there aren't any problems with the speaker :unsure:
wtf are you talking about? you don't have enough speaker wire to hook up two speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread