What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are This years Disappointing Rookies - with Greatest Improvements (1 Viewer)

On The Rocks

Evil Conservative
Alshon Jeffery was the topic of discussion at the water cooler - when talking about guys who had somewhat dismal rookie seaons last year and are doing much better this year.

Can anyone provide a short list of rookies from this year who disappointed due to either an injury or learning curve, that you believe will be significantly better next season?

TIA

top of my head...Ertz and Eifert. Probably Nuk too if he gets some stability at the qb position

Cordarelle Patterson should take off next year, provided the Vikings can get their QB situation solidified. This has been mostly a throwaway year for him until just recently.

Robert Woods

Started to get a real connection with EJ, then they both got hurt. Plus there is a slim chance 10%? that Stevie J may be done in Buff.

Any high draft pick with tantalizing upside. Hunter and Patterson are obvious candidates. Maybe Austin too if you're a believer.

I expect better numbers from Eifert. If Lynch misses time (I'm still uncertain about whether or not he's facing a suspension), Christine Michael could wow people in spot duty.

Any high draft pick with tantalizing upside. Hunter and Patterson are obvious candidates. Maybe Austin too if you're a believer.

I expect better numbers from Eifert. If Lynch misses time (I'm still uncertain about whether or not he's facing a suspension), Christine Michael could wow people in spot duty.
the three WRs came to mind for me immediately.

if usage was an issue more than intrinsic talent, upside is massive, given the flashes they have shown. increased usage should lead to imminent production increases by next season. this usage issue is most obvious in the case of patterson and hunter, though i think austin was both misused and underused.

i wouldn't call bernard disappointing, exactly, but he is capable of much better if used more, top 5-10 numbers soon. bell was delayed and played through injury, and the team really wasn't that good. if they get better, over a full 16 games (he didn't have history of injury at michigan state, but forget if he had one big season?), i think he could be in the top 10-12 conversation as RB1. montee ball had a breakout game recently. if he supplants moreno at some point (most expect DEN to retain moreno? not sure if a consensus), may not be in 2014, but if/when he does, his value will surge.

* Definitely Eifert, assuming Dalton doesn't lock in too much on AJ green (and especially if gresham moves on no later than 2015, i don't think he is a free agenct next year, so it could be a few year process and dynasty owners will need to be patient, which they should be inclined to do anyways given what they probably paid, especially in TE premium scoring leagues which are becoming increasingly popular) - he has blue chip, elite talent, and when he gets a little stronger, could be a difference maker and top 3-5 scoring monster at the position.

Manuel seems to have more obvious upside at QB than Geno (improvement in the form of greater consistency essential by next year, or imo he doesn't get a third year... the clock is ticking faster and the organization could be more restless and impatient after waiting too long on sanchez to eventually develop - they also could soon have one of the best DLs in the NFL, and a more consistent and possibly experienced QB could be the only thing that stands between the team and their playoff hopes and aspirations), and Glennon may if TB doesn't get an obvious starting QB in free agency or the 2014 draft.

IDP...

DE - 1.3 Jordan and 1.5 Ansah.

LB - Ogletree is going to get better, and could be a fixture in top 20 LBs, with upside. Aarthur Brown was a huge disappointment, and many will forget about him. he is talented if he is given a larger role, Daryl Smith won't play forever.

Safety - mid-first rounders Vaccaro and Reid and 2.1 Cyprien are the real deal. imo, 1.32 Elam has upside, as does STL third round SS Mcdonald

Last edited by a moderator:
Montee Ball has been disappointing up until recently. I expect his role to expand next year considerably.

Rogers, Hunter and Patterson all started slow but now should be on everyone's wish list for next year's draft.

I agree with Wheaton, I expected more. I bet next year with a new OC in PIT he will do something.

in IDP.. jarvis jones .. dudes been booty all year.. he needs to step it up for the steelers.

dion jordan and mingo are 2 others for idp leagues..

geno smith,

travis kelce

The Jacksonville wr situation will be one to watch. Not the least of which to find out if and when Blackmon returns to the team. Sanders could be locked into wr3 hell if Blackmon does return.

I'd say Geno. Now I know that expectations weren't sky high but he flashed signs of being able to play and then mix it in with 2 or 3 games where he looked like he shouldn't even be in the league. Next year he might be a little more settled into the NFL life and show some progress towards being a steady contributor and not be so Jekyl and Hyde.

Ball, if Moreno leaves. Not that I think a lot of him but as long as Manning is there it's a great spot.

Hunter - he has the talent and the opportunity. Not sure if he's mature enough though.

Ertz

That's about it for me. Dalton and Gresham will continue to kill Eifert. Patterson seems to have a long way to go to me. His ball skills look poor to me so I'm unconvinced. Maybe Austin if he continues to improve but Bradford and the OC hurt.

To not be so obvious I'll take some longer shots on guys who might be on your WW, or not, in order of preference.

IDP: Jamie Collins - he's going to be a stud http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=695768#entry16094908

Josh Boyce - A gret physical talent with a chance to play with Brady if/when he breaks through. He could be the next Garcon. He's just about as fast as Tavon Austin with a solid 30 more pounds on him.

Luke Willson - not the greatest TE, but has above avg athleticism. He gets to play with Wilson if Sea ever opens up the pass game. It's not like they have too many mouths to feed, or tall targets. http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-analysis/2013/6/19/4445838/seahawks-pete-carroll-sparq-luke-willson

Latavius Murray - I don't like the Raiders decision making or his injury history. He could be in a favorable position next season with DMC departing, Jennings FA status, and the chances OAK drafts a RB that simply sucks. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=683592#entry15711757

The last ranking I did was on 9 October 2013-

Gio Bernard
Cordelle Patterson
DeAndre Hopkins
Christine Michael
Eddie Lacy
Tavon Austin
Tyler Eifert
Keenan Allen
Terrance Williams
Justin Hunter
EJ Manuel
Zac Stacy
LeVeon Bell
Monte Ball
Geno Smith
Robert Woods
Mike Glennon
Kenny Stills
Stedman Bailey
Vance McDonald
Marcus Lattimore
Kenbrell Thompkins
Quinton Patton
Zach Ertz
Aaron Dobson
Marcus Wheaton
Andre Ellington
Travis Kelce
Knile Davis
Jordan Reed
Marquise Goodwin
Ciere Wood
Joseph Randle
Dernard Robinson

Main changes I would make now is to drop Michael to 15 on the list (right after Ball) Tavon Austin to 9 (right after Allen) Geno Smith to 20 and to move Travis Kelce and Jordan Reed to picks 18 and 19 and flip Dobson with Thompkins.

Kelce, Bailey and Dobson seem like players who may be value to trade for. The rest I think are being valued more or less how I have been ranking them since post nfl draft (my list here did not change much from that point).

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=687311
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=680905&hl=
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=680906&hl=

Last edited by a moderator:
Not why sure a lot of these guys are considered to be disappointments this year. I mean, who was really expecting big seasons from guys like Eifert, HUnter, Woods, Ball, and many others??

But speaking of guys that I do feel will make a jump and be fantasy relevant, all the guys I just included (especially Ball if Moreno does leave), Gio, Patterson, Hopkins, Lattimore (though wont be that great), Reed, Ertz.

Not why sure a lot of these guys are considered to be disappointments this year. I mean, who was really expecting big seasons from guys like Eifert, Hunter, Woods, Ball, and many others??

But speaking of guys that I do feel will make a jump and be fantasy relevant, all the guys I just included (especially Ball if Moreno does leave), Gio, Patterson, Hopkins, Lattimore (though wont be that great), Reed, Ertz.
You'd be surprised. In almost all of my redraft leagues almost all of these guys were drafted, and often rounds ahead of where historical performance by rookies indicates they should have been. Everyone expects that their rookie pickup is gonna be the outlier despite year after year of statistics to the contrary.

I didn't own Keenan Allen anywhere but I was thrilled to see him tear up the league last season, because it will just add fuel to this fire and make even bigger bargains out of veterans like J. Bell, Maclin, Colston, Rudolph, who have already shown they can consistently produce at a best-case-for-a-rookie level.

Having said that, I'll be aggressively targeting a lot of second-year guys this offseason: obviously Gio and possibly Ball, but also Hunter (he and Kendall Wright are going to make a great 1/2 combo in TEN); Hopkins (targeted a ton as a rookie and TDs will increase); Eifert and Ertz (Gresham is likely to be cut - Bengals would save $3M+ against the cap - and if Maclin walks and Ertz can improve his blocking, you might start to see a lot of 2-TE sets in Philly next year).

If you want a real bottom-of-the-barrel name, Latavius Murray is a physical freak who will not only obviously improve his stats (considering he didn't play at all last year) but has an outside shot at the Raiders' starting RB job, or at least a significant role in a backfield committee with a FA like Tate or Andre Brown.

Some guys I like:

Ryan Griffin, TE Houston - played well the last few games with Graham/Daniels out. Has the build of a Jimmy Graham type. Definitely one to watch going into next season.

Levine Toiliolo, TE Atlanta - dude is freaking 6'8"! With Gonzo retiting, the Falcons will need a TE and how can you find a better red zone threat?

Markus Wheaton, WR Pittsburgh - Missed 5 games due to injury and didn't get a ton of opportunities. But the talent seems to be there and Sanders is a FA so Wheaton could see his chance to shine if Sanders doesn't come back.

Users who are viewing this thread