What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who benefits most from the Wayne injury? (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
The Colts are a good NFL team. A real good team. They are coached well and have a lot to go after this season and a lot to replace in Wayne.

So, who is it going to be (fantasy-wise) that sees the upgrade in production and by how much?

Will it be TRICH? A week of bye to rest and learn. A higher emphasis on running with the main receiving target out?

Could it be Hilton? Is this the opening that opens the door wide open for Hilton to be a double digit target week in and week out? Is he the team's best route runner?

Perhaps it is DHB? The speed is apparent. He non-Wayne hands also are, however. But can this be the repetition he needs?

Or maybe Brazil, fleener, or one of the others?

You would figure that the Colts are going to get production somewhere. Where will it be and why?

After Hilton (who becoems a true no. now perhaps?), I'd say Brazill.

Nature abhors a vacuum and Richardson looks different in this new light and Heyward-Bey just is what he is.

Who knows what numbers he could get now (40-50 yards and chance at TD?), but he could be a WW grab after his next game.

Surprised nobody mentioned Fleener yet. He's likely to be the short to intermediate target. Hilton and DHB, are deep threats only, unless Hilton has been held back on those routes due to Wayne's presence.

Richardson should see more work as well as a chain mover, not sure he'll do much with it based on how he's looked thus far, but the chances should be there.

Why Brazill?
Here's something:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/04/15/no-huddle-series-ohio-wr-lavon-brazill/

Player No.1 in this series is Ohio wide receiver Lavon Brazill, a preseason All-American as a junior who missed most of that season due to injury. I have no expectation where Brazill will be drafted, if at all. I think he has skills to potentially develop into an NFL starter. I like what he flashes as a route runner, athlete, and catcher of the football.

Now that’s a Brandon Lloyd-like reception – given he can finish the play.

... I don’t know where he’ll be drafted if at all. However, Brazill’s speed, skill at adjusting to the ball, burgeoning route skills, and excellent concentration and awareness of the field are all things scouts have likely noted. Keep an eye on him.

DHB can't catch a cold.
Both Wayne and Hilton have more drops than DHB this year and their drop % is also higher. As a matter of fact, DHB's is the lowest on the team.Hilton also led the NFL in drop % last year.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/
Reggie Wayne's catch rate is 66%, which is far above Hilton's and DHB's (51%)

I don't have the stat in front of me, but I think that Hilton has a higher yard per target.

My point is to NOT go out and get DHB - anyone who watched Raiders football in the past few years knows what kind of receiver DHB is - he is mediocre at best.

Football Outsiders has him at 75th (out of 90th) in DVOA.

Last edited by a moderator:
DHB has hands of stone. It sucks because the rest of his game is not that bad. But nobody has time for a WR that can't catch.

So who does Wayne's absence benefit the most? Probably the opposing defense.

duaneok66 said:
jurb26 said:
duaneok66 said:
DHB can't catch a cold.
Both Wayne and Hilton have more drops than DHB this year and their drop % is also higher. As a matter of fact, DHB's is the lowest on the team.Hilton also led the NFL in drop % last year.

I don't have the stat in front of me, but I think that Hilton has a higher yard per target.

My point is to NOT go out and get DHB - anyone who watched Raiders football in the past few years knows what kind of receiver DHB is - he is mediocre at best.

Have you seen how Reggie is used? Of course his catch rate is going to be way higher. He's a glorified dumpoff guy. He has exactly one catch on a ball thrown 20 yards downfield all year long. His catch rate is irrelevant for comparison purposes, or for determining a deep threat's possible usage down the road.

Reggie Wayne has had a very good catch rate throughout his career. DHB's catch rate has consistently been terrible throughout his career. I'm not sure what you are attempting to accomplish.

My money is on DHB. Despite his stone-hands rep...he not all that bad on drops. Has speed to spare, and his route running has improved greatly from his first couple of years in Oakland.

Hilton is a better bet to lead the team in targets/yards, but most people were already high on him and he's been producing below those expectations. I think he meets them now, but DHB will not be far behind. A legit fantasy WR3.

I second Fleener as it's obvious that Wayne is used a safety vale on short/intermediate routes.
Fleener would seem to make sense as an intermediate option but he is so inconsistent. Just when you start feeling good about him he gives you a 2-10-0 game.
8+ targets have opened up in the offense and 3 out of his 4 bad weeks have come when he's had 3 targets or less. If he gets 6 targets every week I expect him to consistently do well.

I second Fleener as it's obvious that Wayne is used a safety vale on short/intermediate routes.
Fleener would seem to make sense as an intermediate option but he is so inconsistent. Just when you start feeling good about him he gives you a 2-10-0 game.
8+ targets have opened up in the offense and 3 out of his 4 bad weeks have come when he's had 3 targets or less. If he gets 6 targets every week I expect him to consistently do well.
As a Fleener owner I hope you're right.

But as a Fleener owner, he's been maddening this season. No middle ground. He's either been good or putrid.

DHB has "hands" issues, but he also has speed and ability to get open. Luck seems to keep throwing it to him and they might find more creative ways to get him involved with those wheels of his. He lacks concentration, but not courage (from what I've seen).

Griff Whalen maybe get a look here? Reliable safety valve for Luck at Stanford. If healthy, I'd say he has a chance to be signed to the active roster. Looked good in preseason.

DHB has "hands" issues, but he also has speed and ability to get open. Luck seems to keep throwing it to him and they might find more creative ways to get him involved with those wheels of his. He lacks concentration, but not courage (from what I've seen).
If he had this he'd be putting up big numbers right now. His lone TD was a gimmick play that took advantage of his incredible speed, but he's not beating people one on one.

If he had this he'd be putting up big numbers right now. His lone TD was a gimmick play that took advantage of his incredible speed, but he's not beating people one on one.
Yes he is. In each of the last 2 games he had near misses on deep plays that would have been scores. One, his lone drop of the season. The other a clear PI where he had his arm pulled by the DB so that he couldn't get his hands in position to catch the ball. That is only in the last 2 games I watched.

I think Fleener will be become a little more consistent, but I don't think it will be one player getting Wayne's targets, it will be spread out. Basically no significant increase in production from any one player IMO.

I think the answer is TY Hilton at the wr position.

Theoretically, it should bump Richardson, but he has looked so abysmal that I don't believe it will help.

Fleener is other bump, as he should see an increase in targets.

duaneok66 said:
jurb26 said:
duaneok66 said:
DHB can't catch a cold.

I think DHB was certainly not worthy of his draft position but I wouldn't entirely cap his upside at what he was able to accomplish with the Raiders over the last four seasons.

After missing out on most of my waiver claims last night, I'm thinking of grabbing DHB as a free agent now.

I had grabbed Fleener after Dwayne Allen went down thinking I was stealing a TE1. I dropped him last week. I can't bring myself to pick him up again because I feel burned by him already. It was that clank of a drop against San Diego that cemented it for me.

I doubt anyone gets a significant bump, I'd say it helps out Hilton, Fleener, DHB, Brazil and Brown all a little bit. Hiltom or DHB could get a nice bump in PPR if they start to run more short-intermediate routes than before, otherwise I expect Fleener to get the biggest bump in PPR but I've never been too impressed by him when watching him run routes and catch the ball.

Griff Whalen maybe get a look here? Reliable safety valve for Luck at Stanford. If healthy, I'd say he has a chance to be signed to the active roster. Looked good in preseason.
Just an FYI, Whalen was promoted to active roster. Decent flyer in deep roster leagues IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread