What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is most responsible for Big Ben's sack total (1 Viewer)

Who

• The porous O-Line/They suck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bruce Arians/Playcalling

• Big Ben/Holding the Ball Too Long

• Wide Recievers/Not Running Hot Routes

• RB/TEs/Not picking up blitzes

• Total voters

Idiot Boxer

Footballguy
I, personally, rate it in the order i put them in the pool, however, I think the most culpable may be the front office who have consistently ignored the O-line position for the last 4 drafts, at minium.

1. O-Line

2. Arians

3. Ben

4. WRs

5. RBs/TEs

It's the O-line plain and simple. They cannot block.Ben's 1st thought is not to go through his progression, it's to avoid the 1st wave of blitzers running free...if he escapes them, then he thinks about throwing.To this moron below, go take a long walk off a short pier.

His skills on a motorcycle.

It's the O-line plain and simple. They cannot block.Ben's 1st thought is not to go through his progression, it's to avoid the 1st wave of blitzers running free...if he escapes them, then he thinks about throwing.To this moron below, go take a long walk off a short pier.

His skills on a motorcycle.
Really - you don't have to get in the name calling - he has never been the same since that accident.

Really - you don't have to get in the name calling - he has never been the same since that accident.
Yeah. That motorcycle accident really drug him down on the way to 32 TD passes in 07 didn't it.The answer to the question is an equal combination of Arians incompetence and the OL's lack of talent.Arians constantly misuses his players, including the OL, and puts them in bad situations.If the OL actually had some talent, Arians playcalling would not put them in bad situations nearly as often.Arians/OL = Chicken/Egg

Last edited by a moderator:
BA needs to take alot more heat than he has been. A few things off the top of my head that I don't like about his play calling. The five wr sets, I don't think we have the personnel for that. Going single back then motioning the RB out of the backfield. When he does this it gives Ben no help if they bring the blitz and the defense knows its pass all the way, although Ben is mobile we never call QB sneaks. The Eagles game, they keep blizting, he keeps calling 5 and 7 step drops. How about a screen, quick slant, draw, anything would have been better than the plays he was calling. He did make some adjustments in the Giants game when Ben was feeling pressure but it should have been made during the Eagles game. I heard on talk radio a rumor that he scripts the first 30 plays of the game ,which if its true, is something I am completely against.

It seems like blitz pickup is not the problem. I can rarely recall sacks of Big Ben where someone just comes in like a screaming missile, completely unblocked because of a missed blitz assignment.

It's a real tough call as to which of the other factors are strongest, with WRs last, but still a crucial piece.

I voted Big Ben just because his inability to throw the ball away seems to be responsible for the highest number of sacks. Don't get me wrong, the OL is responsible for putting him in situations where he has to just throw the ball away, but Ben does not have that skill in his football vocabulary. It's like the ball is stuck to his hand.

Second would be Arians. I don't understand why we don't see more no huddle. It gets the ball out of Ben's hand quickly, he gets in a rhythm, run lanes open up. Even if they only use it a few times a game, it softens up the D and gets Roethlisberger's confidence up. It also means the weak OL doesn't have to protect him for as long.

Third would be that OL. Yes, the play has been poor. But let's face it. Colon should be a guard, and Starks shouldn't even be on the field. They're asking these guys to do things that they just can't do. There are ways to minimize bad OL play and Ben/Bruce are failing to do those things consistently. Yes, a good OL would mean they didn't even have to go to plan B, but every team suffers injuries on the OL, or other misfortune, and has to adapt. The offense is failing to adapt to the current conditions. Maybe I shouldn't let them off the hook and vote for them instead, but I'm more frustrated with the parts of the picture that actually have the ability to be better right now. You cant really say that about this OL group.

Last, the WRs have had their moments. Holmes in particular has looked way out of synch at times, including last week. It seems like more often than not, when Ben throws a hot route, there's some miscommunication or mistiming. This is big because it would discourage teams from pinning their ears back and coming after the QB.

It's their oline. Theyve been unhealthy all year and have not had the chance to establish any continuity. Plus, they never replaced Faneca with equal or better talent.

I would say it's the o-line. They aren't very good at run blocking either with the team averaging 3.7 yards per carry.

Sigmund Bloom said:
It seems like blitz pickup is not the problem. I can rarely recall sacks of Big Ben where someone just comes in like a screaming missile, completely unblocked because of a missed blitz assignment.It's a real tough call as to which of the other factors are strongest, with WRs last, but still a crucial piece.I voted Big Ben just because his inability to throw the ball away seems to be responsible for the highest number of sacks. Don't get me wrong, the OL is responsible for putting him in situations where he has to just throw the ball away, but Ben does not have that skill in his football vocabulary. It's like the ball is stuck to his hand.Second would be Arians. I don't understand why we don't see more no huddle. It gets the ball out of Ben's hand quickly, he gets in a rhythm, run lanes open up. Even if they only use it a few times a game, it softens up the D and gets Roethlisberger's confidence up. It also means the weak OL doesn't have to protect him for as long.Third would be that OL. Yes, the play has been poor. But let's face it. Colon should be a guard, and Starks shouldn't even be on the field. They're asking these guys to do things that they just can't do. There are ways to minimize bad OL play and Ben/Bruce are failing to do those things consistently. Yes, a good OL would mean they didn't even have to go to plan B, but every team suffers injuries on the OL, or other misfortune, and has to adapt. The offense is failing to adapt to the current conditions. Maybe I shouldn't let them off the hook and vote for them instead, but I'm more frustrated with the parts of the picture that actually have the ability to be better right now. You cant really say that about this OL group.Last, the WRs have had their moments. Holmes in particular has looked way out of synch at times, including last week. It seems like more often than not, when Ben throws a hot route, there's some miscommunication or mistiming. This is big because it would discourage teams from pinning their ears back and coming after the QB.
:thumbup: With exception of Starks. He needs to be on the field Colon needs to be on the bench. Definitely have the order right.

Any Steeler fan saw this coming all off-season for the last couple seasons. It's the Oline.
There ya go.He's right, and most of the other opinions so far are too. I tried to vote for more than one, but that wasn't an option.

One thing that struck me last week was that Leftwich got the ball off quicker than Ben. I do think the OLine is allowing pressure and Ben hangs tough in the pocket.

I don't think the OL is most responsible for the sacks at all.

I agree with Bloom. It's pretty rare that there's an outright blown assignment despite shortcomings on the line. Yes, Ben is under more pressure than he should be, but he also holds the ball far too long pretty often and is caught staying in the pocket when he should've just thrown the ball away or at a receiver's feet. He makes a lot of plays doing that too, but he takes a lot of extra hits and sacks because of it.

You take the good with the bad, and you just hope that Ben keeps getting up after taking the hits.

Ben shouldn't get off the hook as he sometimes holds onto the ball too long but the pass protection by the o-line has been atrocious.

Ben and OLine are 1a and 1b. The playcalling may not be great but it's not a big contributor to sacks. WR's not getting open are a factor. RB's have done well with blitz pickup.

Sigmund Bloom said:
It seems like blitz pickup is not the problem. I can rarely recall sacks of Big Ben where someone just comes in like a screaming missile, completely unblocked because of a missed blitz assignment.It's a real tough call as to which of the other factors are strongest, with WRs last, but still a crucial piece.I voted Big Ben just because his inability to throw the ball away seems to be responsible for the highest number of sacks. Don't get me wrong, the OL is responsible for putting him in situations where he has to just throw the ball away, but Ben does not have that skill in his football vocabulary. It's like the ball is stuck to his hand.Second would be Arians. I don't understand why we don't see more no huddle. It gets the ball out of Ben's hand quickly, he gets in a rhythm, run lanes open up. Even if they only use it a few times a game, it softens up the D and gets Roethlisberger's confidence up. It also means the weak OL doesn't have to protect him for as long.Third would be that OL. Yes, the play has been poor. But let's face it. Colon should be a guard, and Starks shouldn't even be on the field. They're asking these guys to do things that they just can't do. There are ways to minimize bad OL play and Ben/Bruce are failing to do those things consistently. Yes, a good OL would mean they didn't even have to go to plan B, but every team suffers injuries on the OL, or other misfortune, and has to adapt. The offense is failing to adapt to the current conditions. Maybe I shouldn't let them off the hook and vote for them instead, but I'm more frustrated with the parts of the picture that actually have the ability to be better right now. You cant really say that about this OL group.Last, the WRs have had their moments. Holmes in particular has looked way out of synch at times, including last week. It seems like more often than not, when Ben throws a hot route, there's some miscommunication or mistiming. This is big because it would discourage teams from pinning their ears back and coming after the QB.
I agree/disagree.If you take an "it is what it is" attitude about the OL, then yeah, Big Ben/BA probably share the responsibility for the sack total. However, the OL SHOULDN'T be what it is. It shouldn't be that bad. Put Ben behind a even mediocre OL and his tendency to hold the ball and BA's playcalling don't become so problematic. Ben/BA haven't adapted their games to the fact that the OL sucks. But that doesn't change the fact that the OL is easily bottom 5 in the league. So when I vote the OL as the #1 problem it isn't that I think this group of 5 should do better, its that I believe we should have a far better group of 5 up there blocking.

If you take an "it is what it is" attitude about the OL, then yeah, Big Ben/BA probably share the responsibility for the sack total. However, the OL SHOULDN'T be what it is. It shouldn't be that bad. Put Ben behind a even mediocre OL and his tendency to hold the ball and BA's playcalling don't become so problematic. Ben/BA haven't adapted their games to the fact that the OL sucks. But that doesn't change the fact that the OL is easily bottom 5 in the league. So when I vote the OL as the #1 problem it isn't that I think this group of 5 should do better, its that I believe we should have a far better group of 5 up there blocking.
100% agree. On virtually every passing play the Steelers QB (Roethlisberger or Leftwich) is under duress. It is absolutely ridiculous and we're extremely lucky to have 2 very good QBs that can function under that kind of pressure.The Steelers defense is ranked #1 and is second in the NFL in sacks yet opposing QBs still enjoy more time to set up in the pocket than Steelers QBs do. The o-line has been a big problem for the past two seasons and needs to be fixed in the offseason via the draft and FA.

Sigmund Bloom said:
I agree/disagree.If you take an "it is what it is" attitude about the OL, then yeah, Big Ben/BA probably share the responsibility for the sack total. However, the OL SHOULDN'T be what it is. It shouldn't be that bad. Put Ben behind a even mediocre OL and his tendency to hold the ball and BA's playcalling don't become so problematic. Ben/BA haven't adapted their games to the fact that the OL sucks. But that doesn't change the fact that the OL is easily bottom 5 in the league. So when I vote the OL as the #1 problem it isn't that I think this group of 5 should do better, its that I believe we should have a far better group of 5 up there blocking.
Can't argue with that. It's partially the front office as you said, but the OL coaches also deserve some blame. The Steelers have been throwing draft picks at the line, it's just that guys like Starks and Essex haven't really improved during their time with the Steelers.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Idiot Boxer said:
Can't argue with that. It's partially the front office as you said, but the OL coaches also deserve some blame. The Steelers have been throwing draft picks at the line, it's just that guys like Starks and Essex haven't really improved during their time with the Steelers.
Losing Coach Grimm can't be underestimated there. But our O-Line was very obviously bad last year, and we had Faneca still. Yet the Steelers still felt we could go BPA in the draft. Carolina punked us moving up to get Otah. We should have been prepared to go get him ourselves. Mendenhall and Sweed may turn out to be good players, but they haven't done anything to keep Ben off his back. Sometimes I think the FO is a little too proud of its ability to find "diamonds in the rough" and thinks it can continuously pick up valuable OL starters in the 4th and 5th rounds. We can't rely on that.

If you have watched the Steelers alot this year, not sure how you vote for anything but the o-line. Almost impossible to play the position when you have zero confidence in the line in front of you, and you are expecting multiple guys in your face as soon as you drop back.

O-Line but Ben doesn't do them any favor either. I'm always said he need to make his decisions quicker. Ben likes to run around and make the big play instead of taking what he is given some times. But the O-line really is not helping his cause.

Thing is, when you are the OC, aren't you supposed to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of the team you coach and game plan around those?

The OL is awful, but doesn't that mandate more of a short quick developing passing game? Arians runs constant 7 step drops with no routes under 10 yards putting max pressure on Ben and the OL.

Your #1 RB is a 205 lb speed guy. Arians runs him up the middle 20 times a game right into the weakest part of the line.

I agree execution is critical, but it's the OC's job to give the guys a chance to be as successful as possible while hiding deficiencies and playing to strengths.

In this case the O rots from the head. Bruce Arians.

Thing is, when you are the OC, aren't you supposed to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of the team you coach and game plan around those?The OL is awful, but doesn't that mandate more of a short quick developing passing game? Arians runs constant 7 step drops with no routes under 10 yards putting max pressure on Ben and the OL.Your #1 RB is a 205 lb speed guy. Arians runs him up the middle 20 times a game right into the weakest part of the line.I agree execution is critical, but it's the OC's job to give the guys a chance to be as successful as possible while hiding deficiencies and playing to strengths.In this case the O rots from the head. Bruce Arians.
:thumbup:

I think it's the line and Roethlisberger. The line obviously hasn't done well but Roethlisberger isn't helping them. As others have said, he holds the ball way too long and that invites sacks he doesn't have to take. His pocket presence this season has also been horrible. He sees pressure that isn't there, he reacts poorly when there is pressure and he's playing scared in the pocket a lot of the time. It's interesting how bad he looked last week and then Leftwich comes in and the sacks go down. That's because Leftwich didn't play scared in the pocket the way Roethlisberger did. I'm not saying Leftwich is a better QB (although maybe he's better right now given all of the issues Roethlisberger has) but it was striking how one QB didn't invite the pressure to overcome him the way the other one did.

A QB who holds it too long will make any OLine look bad. It's the QB. Throw it away. Throw it near someone. THROW IT.

Big Ben averages something like 1 sack per every 10 dropbacks for his career (which is close to David Carr territory).

The offensive line hasn't been crappy for his entire career.

Users who are viewing this thread