What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Patrick Edwards, WR - Det? (1 Viewer)

Dropped Streater for him in my 16 teamer. on board.
I think this is a good move. Streater is intriguing for ppr as well but look at the offenses that he and Edwards play on and the qb throwing them the ball respectively. No contest.

For some reason everyone has assumed Broyles was the #2 option in Detroit. At this point, he is the 4th. He just hasn't been getting time with the first team, even with Calvin not playing.
I think the plan all along was for Broyles to take the slot role from Burleson, injuries just haven't been kind
Yeah, that was the plan in April of 2012, but here we are in September 2013 and Broyles is on the same spot, fighting to recover from a torn ACL.
I had no idea Broyles was having so much trouble coming back.

So Edwards is the No. 2 and Broyles is competing with Burleson to get time in the slot?

So after some digging... :banned:

From this article courtesy of Fox Sports Detroit:

Edwards has been working out with a Jamaican sprint coach and said he recently was clocked in 4.34 seconds in the 40-yard dash.
This article from the Detroit Lions website explains the poor pro-day performance and lack of combine numbers:

But with numbers like those, why was Edwards a free agent after the draft in the first place?

“I tore my quad at the Senior Bowl and wasn’t 100 percent until about three weeks ago,” he said. “I wasn't able to do the combine and my Pro Day I was hurt and I couldn’t really run. I went out there and fought through everything and did as much as I could.”

Edwards ran 4.57 seconds in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day in March and that scared teams away, considering he’s only 5-foot-9.

When healthy, Edwards runs closer to a 4.3 in the 40-yard dash, and that kind of speed was on display all weekend at the Lions rookie mini-camp in Allen Park.
So we appear to have a legit 4.3 guy playing opposite Calvin in a pass-happy offense. And we've got reports regarding his route-running savvy and quicks in space, plus several accounts of him getting behind defenses in the preseason and simply missing the connection with Stafford.

Saddle up, boys. This could be a fun ride...

For some reason everyone has assumed Broyles was the #2 option in Detroit. At this point, he is the 4th. He just hasn't been getting time with the first team, even with Calvin not playing.
I think the plan all along was for Broyles to take the slot role from Burleson, injuries just haven't been kind
Yeah, that was the plan in April of 2012, but here we are in September 2013 and Broyles is on the same spot, fighting to recover from a torn ACL.
I had no idea Broyles was having so much trouble coming back.

So Edwards is the No. 2 and Broyles is competing with Burleson to get time in the slot?
It sounds like it, and that Broyles is in recovery mode. The glum news about Broyles is only really coming out this past week, as everything up till then has been positive and about how quickly he's healing. Has the feel of a "see how the snaps go in week 1" situation, but I understand the desire to lock up Edwards in case he becomes The Week 1 Waiver Wire Superstar.

He didn't have much production week 1 (3 targets, 3 receptions, 30 yards), but he did get the snaps. According to PFF, pass routes run for the Det WRs broke down:

46 Calvin

30 Edwards

27 Burleson

15 Durham

To me, that makes him worth holding on to in dynasty for at least another week or two to see what he can do.

Edwards has been working out with a Jamaican sprint coach and said he recently was clocked in 4.34 seconds in the 40-yard dash.
This article from the Detroit Lions website explains the poor pro-day performance and lack of combine numbers:

But with numbers like those, why was Edwards a free agent after the draft in the first place?

I tore my quad at the Senior Bowl and wasnt 100 percent until about three weeks ago, he said. I wasn't able to do the combine and my Pro Day I was hurt and I couldnt really run. I went out there and fought through everything and did as much as I could.

Edwards ran 4.57 seconds in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day in March and that scared teams away, considering hes only 5-foot-9.

When healthy, Edwards runs closer to a 4.3 in the 40-yard dash, and that kind of speed was on display all weekend at the Lions rookie mini-camp in Allen Park.
So we appear to have a legit 4.3 guy playing opposite Calvin in a pass-happy offense. And we've got reports regarding his route-running savvy and quicks in space, plus several accounts of him getting behind defenses in the preseason and simply missing the connection with Stafford.

Giddy up. Picked him up in waivers this week in a deep dynasty.

“I tore my quad at the Senior Bowl and wasn’t 100 percent until about three weeks ago,” he said. “I wasn't able to do the combine and my Pro Day I was hurt and I couldn’t really run. I went out there and fought through everything and did as much as I could.”

Edwards ran 4.57 seconds in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day in March and that scared teams away, considering he’s only 5-foot-9.

I'm not saying he's lying but I also wouldn't say he's a legit 4.3 guy because he says he is. You know I caught a fish this big...

He was flying down the field on Bush's long TD reception.
You can see when the switch flips on for him that Bush has broken through the second level and instead of jogging, maybe he should catch up and block. At about the :03-:04 mark, he takes off and makes up about a 2 yard head start on a full speed Reggie Bush...

Looks pretty fast to me.

Users who are viewing this thread