What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Patrick Edwards, WR - Det? (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
I just read this snippet on rotowire:

Lions UDFA WR Patrick Edwards is expected to see "plenty of playing time" opposite Calvin Johnson this season.

Any receiver getting significant snaps in the Lions' pass-happy offense is worth monitoring. The Detroit Free Press notes that declining Nate Burleson is best in the slot and Ryan Broyles is also a slot receiver who has been hampered by knee issues. Edwards, who led the nation with 20 touchdown catches last season, finished his first NFL preseason with a 7/49/1 line, seeing significant first-team reps. He's a stash-and-see option for deep leaguers. Sep 2 - 8:50 AM

Source: Detroit Free Press

Where did this guy come from? I've never even heard of him. He was an UFA and it looks like he might get lots if pt across from Calvin.

He is listed at 5' 9" and 175 lbs....?

Gonna try to find out as much as I can on google but wondering if anyone who follows college knows anything about this kid?

I found this:

Fantasy Football 2013: Patrick Edwards Is A Deep Sleeper

September 1, 2013 5:09 pm EDT by Adam Pfeifer

5 1 5 0

Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports

Ever since the news broke that injury-plagued wideout Ryan Broyles was recovering brilliantly from a torn ACL, almost everyone assumed that he would step in and serve as the Detroit Lions number two wide receiver.

Well, you know what happens when you assume

Instead, all of the Lions roster is praising rookie wide receiver Patrick Edwards. After a very impressive camp, as well as a solid preseason outing, Edwards appears to be the favorite to land the number two spot outside of Calvin Johnson. The Detroit Free Press reported that Edwards will see see plenty of playing time outside of Johnson. At 59″, 175 pounds, Edwards has dangerous speed, but according to the article, he has to get off the line better. One of Edwards teammates that knows a thing or two about receiving is quite high on the 24-year old.

Patrick Edwards is playing helluva ball right now, Burleson said. He was my dark horse last year before he tweaked his hamstring. Hes not so much of a dark housenow. Hes just a guy who needs to prove he can stay healthy and consistent with his play, and I guarantee he will be a big-time playmaker for us this year.

From a fantasy perspective, I agree with Burleson. Edwards has the skills and opportunity to be a playmaker for both the Lions, as well as fantasy owners. Obviously, playing alongside a guy like Calvin is very beneficial for his success. Megatron is by far the best receiver in the game right now and will draw boatloads of double teams, which will allow the speedy Edwards to see a ton of single coverage. And of course, no team in the league throws the football around as much as the Lions. Quarterback Matthew Stafford will continue to play (in the words of the great Nathan Zegura) a little huck-chuck football, having thrown the ball a whopping 1,390 times over the past two seasons alone. Edwards will strongly benefit from that volume. As for number two receivers in Detroit over the last few seasons, there hasnt been a ton of fantasy relevance, but again, the volume is there. In 2011 and 2009, Burleson saw over 100 targets in both seasons. In 2009, even Bryant Johnson saw a respectable 87 targets. There is a lot of fantasy potential for wide receivers who line up across Calvin Johnson in this high-octane offense.

Im also a believer in the talent, despite going undrafted this past April. Many say that Edwards reminds them of T.Y. Hilton, and if you ask me, thats an awesome comparison. I mean, can you imagine a guy like Hilton in an offense like the Lions? Ive recently moved Edwards all the way up to number 72 in my wide receiver rankings, and to be honest, as the season progresses, I believe that ranking can continue to climb upwards. Hes definitely worth a late-round flier.

Adam Pfeifer is a featured fantasy sports columnist for Rant Sports.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/fantasy/2013/09/01/fantasy-football-2013-patrick-edwards-is-a-deep-sleeper/?LFl854gY9rIr2YPT.99

He's been on my radar since he was lighting it up in camp this year.

His last season in college (2011 Houston) he had 89-1752-20tds. Ran 40s from 4.48-4.67

His last season in college (2011 Houston) he had 89-1752-20tds. Ran 40s from 4.48-4.67
How did he go undrafted with those kind of numbers? BC he is undersized?

And how is he flyin so ridiculously under the radar right now in the nfl?

Is he worth an fa pickup? He is sitting on my wire now. I can drop Stepfan Taylor for him. I'm just hesitating BC I know nothing about him.

Any lions homers know if this kid has truly solidified the #2 role on the lions?

How did he go undrafted with those kind of numbers? BC he is undersized?

And how is he flyin so ridiculously under the radar right now in the nfl?

Is he worth an fa pickup? He is sitting on my wire now. I can drop Stepfan Taylor for him. I'm just hesitating BC I know nothing about him.

Any lions homers know if this kid has truly solidified the #2 role on the lions?
Undersized, that's slow for being that size & had some injuries in college.

eta Most places including here have him listed as the Lions 4th WR, with Broyles health may very well be #3.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a lot of buzz in Lions camp about Edwards, and they raved about him on their practice squad last year. Burleson has made several comments about him being a big part of the offense this year, just hasn't materialized during the preseason with Megatron out. He's still the likely starter opposite Calvin with Burleson and Broyles operating on the inside. On the rare occasions they go with 2 WRs, anything is possible opposite Calvin.

For some reason everyone has assumed Broyles was the #2 option in Detroit. At this point, he is the 4th. He just hasn't been getting time with the first team, even with Calvin not playing.

For some reason everyone has assumed Broyles was the #2 option in Detroit. At this point, he is the 4th. He just hasn't been getting time with the first team, even with Calvin not playing.
I think the plan all along was for Broyles to take the slot role from Burleson, injuries just haven't been kind

The Lions are still looking for receiving help, but in the likely event they can’t land a game-changer, Patrick Edwards will see plenty of playing time outside opposite Calvin Johnson this year. Edwards has deep speed, though his seven catches for 49 yards this preseason hardly turned heads. He had a couple drops and has to get off the line better, but should have opportunities with Johnson on the field. Nate Burleson is best in the slot, and Ryan Broyles is another slot receiver who’s been slowed by his return from knee surgery

http://www.freep.com/article/20130901/SPORTS01/309010108/1049/sports01

Hmmm...I'm very tempted to preemptively pick this kid up before week 1. He could be one of those come out of nowhere guys that everyone is running to the waiver wire to grab after week 1

Corrected for spelling errors lol

I hate you iPhone autocorrect!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the plan all along was for Broyles to take the slot role from Burleson, injuries just haven't been kind
Yeah, that was the plan in April of 2012, but here we are in September 2013 and Broyles is on the same spot, fighting to recover from a torn ACL.

Lion's homer here..

Edwards feels like one of the usual #3WR's in NO..

He'll have games where you say OK WR1 type numbers I like that, then stats likes 4 targets 2 catches for 22yds..

Between Calvin, Broyles, Burleson, the TE's and Bush I'm just not sure how much action Edwards "or others" get.

(I liked Edwards last year in camp but he didn't make the final roster, liked a few others to though)

With his size I don't have huge hopes for him, but we'll see what he can do given some opportunities..

Reminds me a little of the Andrew Hawkins situation in Cindy last year. That kid has crazy skills but his size prevented him from being an every week factor in that offense. But he also didn't play in 2wr sets.

It sounds like Edwards will. Which would mean he will play every offensive snap unlike Hawkins.

Lion's homer here..

Edwards feels like one of the usual #3WR's in NO..

He'll have games where you say OK WR1 type numbers I like that, then stats likes 4 targets 2 catches for 22yds..

Between Calvin, Broyles, Burleson, the TE's and Bush I'm just not sure how much action Edwards "or others" get.

(I liked Edwards last year in camp but he didn't make the final roster, liked a few others to though)

With his size I don't have huge hopes for him, but we'll see what he can do given some opportunities..
I'm afraid Burlesons ability to get open in the NFL may be gone, I'm not counting on anything out of him moving forward. There are a lot of balls to be had in Detroit, even after Calvin and Bush get theirs.

Detroit Lions' Nate Burleson doubles down on Patrick Edwards prediction

By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com

Follow on Twitter

on August 28, 2013 at 6:58 AM, updated August 28, 2013 at 7:02 AM

View/Post Comments

ALLEN PARK -- Nate Burleson still believes in Patrick Edwards.

The veteran wide receiver isn't backing down from his comments earlier this offseason, where he predicted Edwards would be a play-maker for the Lions.

"Pat is primed to be a star number two receiver in this league, right now," Burleson said. "Not only was his resume strong from college, but I saw something on the field that a lot of guys don't have. That's great speed, good hands and he's a really strong route runner."

Edwards has a disappointing stat line this preseason, catching just four passes for 16 yards in three games.

Some of that is his own fault, like when he ran a bad route and had a touchdown pass knocked away by Jets cornerback Dee Milliner. Some of it is on Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, who misfired on a pass that should have resulted in an 18-yard score to Edwards against the Jets.

Regardless, the pair have appeared to make some significant strides on their timing issues over the past several practices, particularly in the deep parts of the field.

"I'm feeling like the timing, the chemistry is getting better," Edwards said. "That all adds up when you get more and more reps and gain (Stafford's) trust."

Burleson has also seen the growing chemistry between Stafford and Edwards and believes the addition of Calvin Johnson back into the lineup will be when we'll see Edwards making plays more consistently.

"When Calvin comes back, defenses look a little bit different," Burleson said. "(Edwards) might not be facing as many zones. He's going to be put in position where the defenses he faces are going to be simplified.

"I dare any DB in the league to guard this guy one-on-one with the speed he has."

Edwards isn't frustrated by his lack of production thus far and still feels good about his odds of making the team's 53-man roster.

"I feel like I've got a good chance of making it. I'm going to keep working hard, play hard this last game and see what happens."

-- Download the Detroit Lions MLive app for iPhone and Android

-- Follow Justin Rogers on Twitter

-- Like MLive's Detroit Lions Facebook page

I pulled the trigger and dropped Stepfan Taylor for him. Taking a flier. If he explodes in week one or even has a pretty good game it will be too late to grab him.

#2/3 WR in an offense thst will throw it 600+ times? Sign me up
it ain't that simple when megatron is the #1. he inhales such a large percentage of the yards that it reduces the other wr's to the same value of a #2/3 wr on a typical team.

It is hard for me to trust a guy like that who is undersized, but I'll take the flier on him because I need the help with my team to become relevant again. My team is in shambles and if I can get 1-2 good waiver add's I'll be that much closer to being a good team again. Can't afford NOT to take the chance

Stashed in a dyno, but he didn't pass the eye test. Very underwhelming. Volume opportunity, but not optimistic.

NFL

Detroit Lions bench injured receiver

BY CHRIS LOGEL - SEP 1ST, 2013 AT 8:10 PM

PREVIOUS

NEXT

Torn ACLs are no joke to come back from. They take hard work, dedication, and lots of pain. It is a situation Detroit Lions wide receiver Ryan Broyles knows all to well.

Broyles is currently recovering from his second ACL surgery in less than 3 years. While Broyles claims that he is fully recovered mentally, he admits that some days are better than others physically.

The Detroit Free Press is reporting that Broyles will be second team behind Calvin Johnson, Patrick Edwards, and slot man Nate Burleson. Broyles typically plays in the slot but has worked mostly with the second and third teams through the preseason.

Apparently the Lions are high on Patrick Edwards, who has performed well in practices throughout the preseason. Edwards finished with 7 catches for 49 yards. The speedy Edwards needs to work on curing a mild case of the drops and getting off the line better.

Edwards may not be a hot commodity in the fantasy market yet, but any receiver would envy the opportunity to play across from Megatron and all of the attention that opposing defenses are going to send his way. Burleson stands to profit from Johnson as well playing in the slot.

Burleson is well ahead of this guy in PPR leagues right? he was averaging something like 11 or 12 PPG before he went down last year

Burleson is well ahead of this guy in PPR leagues right? he was averaging something like 11 or 12 PPG before he went down last year
I doubt it now. Burleson has lost two steps. He cannot separate. When Broyles is healthy I doubt we see Nate very much.

Getting interesting:

With Calvin Johnson back, Detroit Lions brush aside concerns about offense's sluggish preseason

By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com

Follow on Twitter

on September 03, 2013 at 4:12 PM, updated September 03, 2013 at 6:12 PM

View/Post Comments

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions' high-powered offense was decidedly underwhelming in four preseason games. In 18 drives with starting quarterback Matthew Stafford at the helm, the Lions came away with just one touchdown and 22 total points.

But ask any of the players on that unit if they're concerned the preseason struggles will carry over into the regular season and you would be lucky to get more than a shrug of the shoulders.

In fact, Detroit remains overwhelmingly optimistic about the offense heading into the regular season. A lot of that has to do with the return of star wide receiver Calvin Johnson, who missed the final three exhibition contests with a knee contusion.

"It's as simple as having LeBron (James) on the court," wide receiver Nate Burleson said. "I'm just being realistic. That's why he gets paid the big bucks. He's a big part of what we do."

With his top target sidelined, Stafford struggled with his accuracy. He had his full arsenal of weapons back on Tuesday and said the difference was noticeable.

"We had guys coming into new roles and playing roles, that frankly, they're probably not going to play once certain guys on our team are back in the game," Stafford said. "It's nice being out there at practice, having the full complement today. Just guys in the roles they're comfortable with, ready to go play. I think it's going to help us, as an offense, play to our potential."

With Johnson returning, he slides back into his familiar role as Detroit's "X" receiver and allows Patrick Edwards to play the "Z" on the opposite side. It also frees up Burleson to move to the slot, where he's most comfortable at this stage of his career.

"I'm really excited just to get the opportunity to be on the field with (Johnson)," Edwards said. "The coverages he draws, and the opportunities I'll get on the backside, it's exciting."

Another reason for the team's optimism is the opening up of the playbook.

The group felt limited having to rely on vanilla play-calling during the preseason and is ready to incorporate the new tweaks to the scheme worked on during the offseason.

"What we have getting put in this week, leading up to this first game, is going to be a lot different than what everybody saw," Burleson said.

-- Download the Detroit Lions MLive app for iPhone and Android

-- Follow Justin Rogers on Twitter

-- Like MLive's Detroit Lions Facebook page

I doubt it now. Burleson has lost two steps. He cannot separate. When Broyles is healthy I doubt we see Nate very much.
is this based on camp this season? he seemed to be getting open plenty last year
Based on preseason and camp. Nate just doesn't have it anymore. He is not fantasy relevant.

Fbg depth charts now show Edwards as the #2 wr behind Calvin. Then burleson, then Broyles...

This kid is flying under the radar more than any sleeper I can remember in recent years.

#2 receiver on a team that throws the ball 600+ times every year. Scored 20 Tds in his sr year in college.

I'm kind of shocked at how little buzz there is about him. Fbg doesn't even have a player outlook on him.

Fbg depth charts now show Edwards as the #2 wr behind Calvin. Then burleson, then Broyles...

This kid is flying under the radar more than any sleeper I can remember in recent years.

#2 receiver on a team that throws the ball 600+ times every year. Scored 20 Tds in his sr year in college.

I'm kind of shocked at how little buzz there is about him. Fbg doesn't even have a player outlook on him.
Let's keep it this way until free agent bidding is done this week, m'kay? =)

I'd temper expectations. He's still 4th in line for targets (Calvin, Bush, and the TEs will be higher than him on the pecking order), and will still be competing with Burleson/Broyles for what's left. He's also not particularly big or fast, and doesn't have great hands.

Other than that, he looks great.

:shrug:

I'd temper expectations. He's still 4th in line for targets (Calvin, Bush, and the TEs will be higher than him on the pecking order), and will still be competing with Burleson/Broyles for what's left. He's also not particularly big or fast, and doesn't have great hands.

Other than that, he looks great.

:shrug:
Apparently Jim Schwartz thinks enough of him with all those deficiencies you named to make him the #2 wr starting across from Calvin Johnson. He must be able to catch the ball and make plays or he would not have usurped Broyles and burleson.

Believe me when I tell you my expectations are tempered. To me this is just another low risk high reward pickup. I dropped Stepfan Taylor to grab him. No biggie.

It's just surprising to me that there isn't more buzz about him that's all.

I think I'm going to wait for the wire on him, except in very deep leagues (16+). Looks promising, but there are a lot of ways Detroit could play out.

We need more threads like these in the Shark Pool these days. Even if he amounts to nothing, this is infinitely more useful than the dozens of "who to take after AD," or "who would you choose between Spiller, McCoy, Charles, Rice."

Users who are viewing this thread