What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is starting at QB for the Arizona? (1 Viewer)

Any news, or else I have to start Trent Green.
Denny Green won't say, but I'd think he would have to be nuts not to start Josh McCown. McCown's mobility and ability to keep plays alive when the Cardinals' protection breaks down (which is rather often, given their O-Line) allows for Boldin and Fitzgerald to find seams in the defensive coverages, and make positive yardage. That beats taking a sack from Warner, who notoriously holds the ball too long anyway, and doesn't seem to change that old habit.

The Cards have absolutely no running game, so McCown might actually be their best option for rushing yardage.

Just DC's $0.02.....

Clayton just said on ESPNRadio that Green has informed the team that it's McCown, but asked them to keep it quiet.

It's going to be near impossible for Denny to keep this a secret until Sunday afternoon. I have Bulger down and McCown/Warner as his backups. I believe, like most, that McCown will start.

Clayton just said on ESPNRadio that Green has informed the team that it's McCown, but asked them to keep it quiet.
:thumbup: That's the kind of stuff I come here for.
:thumbup: a fact get more news here..since all FBG's are nation wide... then on any site online..example Qb Volek..possible starter..ever see someone questionable on (Fishers team) not play yet..saw it here first (of course not offical yet) but the time was 3:35pm EST...fast..As for my info on Arz..QB..heard nothing yet (offical)..but believe McCown is best choice for week 7... :bye:

why on earth would they even consider playing Warner? McCown has actually scored a touchdown or two.
Ask coach Green that..why the secret..makes no difference to the opponent they will play makes no difference to them! :confused:

evidently that didn't go so well...
:lmao: I thought it was funny too, but he sounded pretty sure of himself and the host, Erik K, didn't press him on it.

I just read that Warner is going to get the start over McCown! This blurb is from an article by Charles Robinson who is affiliated with Yahoo Sports. Anyone know anything about this guy or his credibility? I was 99% sure McCown would get the start this week...The plot thickens.

LINK

With this new information and the potential for Green to pull McCown for Warner if Josh throws a pick or two early, would you start Eli Manning over McCown?? I picked up McCown when Bulger went down because I liked his upside....Manning seems to have less upside, but may be the safer start...

From the article:

# Regardless of this week's mind games, Dennis Green is going to give Kurt Warner another shot at the Arizona Cardinals' starting quarterback spot. Green still isn't sold on the long-term virtues of Josh McCown and would like to give Warner one last opportunity. If Warner flames out, the Cardinals are expected to make a rush at another long-term quarterback this offseason, either in the draft or via trade.

LOL, maybe Denny knew he couldn't trust his players with the McCown "secret" so he used them to spread misinformation. This guy should be in politics.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, maybe Denny knew he couldn't trust his players with the McCown "secret" so he used them to spread misinformation. This guy should be in politics.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

From the article:

# Regardless of this week's mind games, Dennis Green is going to give Kurt Warner another shot at the Arizona Cardinals' starting quarterback spot. Green still isn't sold on the long-term virtues of Josh McCown and would like to give Warner one last opportunity. If Warner flames out, the Cardinals are expected to make a rush at another long-term quarterback this offseason, either in the draft or via trade.
Anyone else find this odd. Here he is thinking about the "long-term" yet wants to go with the old and decrepit QB who has proven to be less effective. :loco:

Warner and McCown have been splitting the carries all week. Right now I'm benching Hass for McCown. If Warner starts I play Hass.

From the article:

Just a quick observation here. The above ariticle says Green wants to give Warner another opportunity to start - but it doesn't specifically say this week. :unsure:

From the article:

Just a quick observation here. The above ariticle says Green wants to give Warner another opportunity to start - but it doesn't specifically say this week. :unsure:
Sounds more like a personal opinion of the writer than any inside info....can't always believe what these guy write sometimes. :fishy:

From the article:

Exactly. Considering that Warner is coming off injury, Green may still start McCown this week, yet still give Warner his chance to start again next week. Both articles CAN be read consistently.

From the article:

Anyone else find this odd. Here he is thinking about the "long-term" yet wants to go with the old and decrepit QB who has proven to be less effective. :loco:
I agree. The premise of the blurb makes no sense to me. Warner is a guy you bring in to see if you can make a run with the guys you have. He got hurt and McCown has out performed him. If you're worried about long term, you see what you have in McCown before deciding what to do in the offseason. Plus, where did this "Denny still isn't sold (on McCown)" come from. Denny is a lot of things, but I don't think he's stupid enough to put that information out there and pull the rug out from under a young QB playing well for him.

That said, Denny is hard-headed enough to start Warner, but at this point I'll take Clayton > Charles Robinson.

From the article:

I agree. The premise of the blurb makes no sense to me. Warner is a guy you bring in to see if you can make a run with the guys you have. He got hurt and McCown has out performed him. If you're worried about long term, you see what you have in McCown before deciding what to do in the offseason. Plus, where did this "Denny still isn't sold (on McCown)" come from. Denny is a lot of things, but I don't think he's stupid enough to put that information out there and pull the rug out from under a young QB playing well for him.

That said, Denny is hard-headed enough to start Warner, but at this point I'll take Clayton > Charles Robinson.
This whole blurb seems like it came out of left field to me. Is this guy just being over-confident in his guessing ability or does he actually know something we don't? I can see Green going back to Warner if he is healthy to give him one last chance, but everybody just assumed McCown would get the call with the way he has played the last two weeks, myself included. Nevertheless, this situation is not clear to me at this point and I would love more explaination/information from Footballguys considering McCown's ranking for this week. I have the safetly net in Hasselbeck with both their games starting at the same time, but I'm sure there are plenty others who don't have that luxury.

I can't see where the writer has any credibility. No other writers are reporting that Warner will start.I went to the official Cardinals message board and the locals still don't know anything.I started McCown over McNair before the roster lock on Friday. It would be really crappy luck if neither get's the sart.

Denny's killing me here. My other option is Jamie Martin (With Bulger my starter out) but I have to make the decision by 1:00 PM EST.McCown is the obvious start over Martin but if his status is still unkown at 1:00 EST do I go with the safe bet or is McCown close enough of a sure thing to start?

Denny's killing me here. My other option is Jamie Martin (With Bulger my starter out) but I have to make the decision by 1:00 PM EST.

McCown is the obvious start over Martin but if his status is still unkown at 1:00 EST do I go with the safe bet or is McCown close enough of a sure thing to start?
I am in the exact same boat. I have Bulger, Martin and McCown. Right now I'm leaning towards rolling the dice on McCown, but I am holding out hope that we'll get some more definitive info by 1 PM tomorrow.

That Yahoo quote sounds familiar - like I read it somewhere a week or so ago.It is in Green's interest not to name the starter until the last possible minute, so I have the feeling the earliest we will know anything definitive is the hour before the early games tomorrow.

That Yahoo quote sounds familiar - like I read it somewhere a week or so ago.

It is in Green's interest not to name the starter until the last possible minute, so I have the feeling the earliest we will know anything definitive is the hour before the early games tomorrow.
I read a interview with Jeff Fisher yesterday, and he said they didn't really care which one was starting, because they know whichever it is they are going to try and pass a lot.

Cardinals Website

McCown is shown as the starter on a page that has been updated to show Volek as the Titans' starter. For whatever that's worth.
:thumbup: Was thinking the same thing...I can't imagine Green to be so deceptive that he would even list it wrong on the team website.

Cardinals Website

McCown is shown as the starter on a page that has been updated to show Volek as the Titans' starter. For whatever that's worth.
:thumbup: Was thinking the same thing...I can't imagine Green to be so deceptive that he would even list it wrong on the team website.
Gruden had Cadillac listed as the starter on their website last Sunday morning, and he didn't even play. I think at this point, it is silly for Green not to say who his starting quarterback is. I hope they have a bigger strategy against the Titans, besides not naming their quarterback.

I just read that Warner is going to get the start over McCown! This blurb is from an article by Charles Robinson who is affiliated with Yahoo Sports. Anyone know anything about this guy or his credibility? I was 99% sure McCown would get the start this week...The plot thickens.

LINK
Scout at Yahoo is quality stuff. Yahoo only writers credibility have been debated here numerous times. There's a big difference.I don't know the guy to comment on him personally, just as a whole group.

LINK
Scout at Yahoo is quality stuff. Yahoo only writers credibility have been debated here numerous times. There's a big difference.I don't know the guy to comment on him personally, just as a whole group.
That is dated October 19, which was 4 days ago.

From the Blogger....

QB J.McCown Likely To Start TodayJohn Czarnecki, FOXSports.comTennessee at Arizona: Well, we know that Billy Volek will be starting for injured Steve McNair, but Cardinals coach Denny Green wants to keep us in suspense until game time — even though he told Josh McCown he will be starting ahead of Kurt Warner. Titans rookie first-round pick Pacman Jones has committed five penalties worthy of first downs. McCown will be attacking rookie Reynaldo Hill, who mans the nickel-back role.
Link

FYI, Steve Cohen from footballinjuries.com was on WFAN 660 this morning and said that his sources say McCown is starting.

The big question is this:If you have to set lineups at 1:00 EST, do you keep McCown in there or go with a lesser QB that is a sure start? In my case, that's Jamie Martin.

ESPN's Sunday a.m. updates (Engel) are also listing "McCown expected to start" also, however, with no supporting details.

let's not put a whole lot of weight into these "expectations". If Greenie insisted that no one know other than the team, why would you want to put a lot of credence into these reports?

The big question is this:

If you have to set lineups at 1:00 EST, do you keep McCown in there or go with a lesser QB that is a sure start? In my case, that's Jamie Martin.
I typically make decisions such as this based on my opponent. If I feel I'm a big underdog and need to put up big time points to have a chance, I'll "roll the dice" and go with the questionable starter who has more upside. If, however, I feel like the favorite and just need to put up a normal amount of points to win, I go with the "sure thing" who has less upside. Luckily today I'm deciding between McCown and Vick so I still have plenty of time to make the call.

Guys this is personal opinion, but worth reading.I had Warner earlier in the season and I remember the commentators in one of the games said something like Green was committed to Warner and promised him he would be the starter if he was healthy (so that there would be no repeat of the Trent Green incident). Dennny Green loves Warner and wants him to succeed. My theory is that the only reason Denny Green waited until Wednesday to say he knew the starter was because he wanted to make sure Warner was a 100% before he would rule him starter. Plus, I think it only makes sense to keep it a mystery unless you are going to surprise the other team, which Warner would be.That's my amatuer opinion, but I just thought I'd give a warning that it may not be as cut and dry as it may seem.I traded McCown earlier this week because I didn't want to risk it.

Users who are viewing this thread