What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who opens the season on National TV @ Pittsburgh? (1 Viewer)

knowledge dropper

Footballguy
My bet would be the Bengals. The possible return of Carson Palmer storyline is way too juicy.

A Denver AFC title game rematch would be another likely game - especially if TO is on the Broncos.

Steelers home opponents

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Denver

Kansas City

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

Miami

I'd say in order from most likely to least, Denver, Cincy, and KC. I don't think any other game has a real shot ....

The return of TO. If he goes to Denver or the Chiefs, they open up the season at Pittsburgh.

I would LOVE to see the Bengals come back with a fresh Carson Palmer and beat the Squeelers like they would've done in the playoffs.

Doesn't need to be a home game -- didn't the Pats play at Denver following their first Super Bowl?
Nope, they hosted the Steelers in the opening of Gillette.EDIT: Just wanted to add, the Pats opened @ Denver after the Broncos won their first Super Bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd put my money on the Denver, especially if the sign TO, but it is a shame it can't be the Colts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give a go at ranking 1 to 8...

1) Denver - ABC Championship Game Repeat. Possible TO story line would be all the better. The big Broncos following helps as well. I'd put this as the odds on favorite.

2) Kansas City - Kansas City is a very marketable opponent with grandmama and that offense and a team considered a contender-type. The new coach angle of Edwards works too. Also there's the possible TO story line.

3) Miami - Miami vs. Pittsburgh has an old school sexiness for the NFL. It also can be billed as the two teams with the longest winning streaks in the league, since the 'fins won their last 6 games in a row. Also there's the possible TO factor.

4) Cincinnati - This seems more likely to be a Sunday/Monday night game later on in the season. The opening game has never been a divisional battle. As a Bengals fan I'd just as soon see Carson get the 3 further days rest anyhow.

5) Cleveland - Good game to sell with the rivalry and all, though the Bengals would be a more attractive actual game. Again, I don't see them making the game divisional.

6) Tampa Bay - Gruden vs. Cowher. Really, that's about it for this one. Not a game with juice and Tampa is not a front line market.

7) New Orleans - Leinart vs. Roethlisberger would be the appeal here. They'd have the chance to hype the Superdome reopening game, but that won't be on ESPN so tv-wise there's no purpose. I tend to also think that putting the Saints in this game is undesirable given how screwed the team felt (and really was) by what happened last season, what with the Giants getting home game 9 and all. Then there's also the matter that the Saints are just awful.

8) Baltimore - Not an attractive game at this point for an opening night IMO, since the offense is a mess and a defense isn't quite what it was. Also, the first game has never been a divisional battle.

-QG

I would LOVE to see the Bengals come back with a fresh Carson Palmer and beat the Squeelers like they would've done in the playoffs.
:lmao: Let it go, man, let it go.

Doesn't need to be a home game -- didn't the Pats play at Denver following their first Super Bowl?
Nope, they hosted the Steelers in the opening of Gillette.EDIT: Just wanted to add, the Pats opened @ Denver after the Broncos won their first Super Bowl.
Tampa played at Philly week 1 the year after winning their Super Bowl.

I think that somewhere along the line the NFL decided that the Super Bowl winner would be home for that first Thursday game. New England has hosted the last 2. Prior to that it was the arbitrary whatever Tagliabue feels like doing method.

Another interesting question is who will be put on the NFL Network Thanksgiving night? (This game now makes it possible for the Bengals to play on Thanksgiving - under the schedule rotation as it is, they never would be at Dallas or Detroit in a year that CBS had a game at that venue.)

-QG

c'mon , this SoFresh&SoClean guy is a little special.

he's the one who said a few weeks ago (I'm paraphrasing)

I don't care if PIT goes on to win the superbowl, the Bengals are the AFCN champs and thats what matters.

Enjoy the satisfaction of the AFCN trophy, SoFresh&SoClean. :banned:

I don't care if PIT goes on to win the superbowl, the Bengals are the AFCN champs and thats what matters.

I remember that, it was special.

Do you get a trophy for that?

plaque, trophy, goldstar sticker, gift certificate for ARBY's, whatever they got.

Hope they enjoy it. :)
"The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room. "

My bet would be the Bengals. The possible return of Carson Palmer storyline is way too juicy.

A Denver AFC title game rematch would be another likely game - especially if TO is on the Broncos.

Steelers home opponents

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Denver

Kansas City

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

Miami
1) Kansas City will draw the biggest game. KC once they sign Sam Madison and draft Brodrick Bunkley will look like the #1 team in the NFL on paper. And they'll be playing with a chip on their shoulder to win a Super Bowl with Herm Edwards and barely missing the playoffs last year.2) Denver is likely to be sporting either Ricky Williams or Terrell Owens. AFC Championship rematch game as will add more to the hype.

3) Tampa Bay would be an awesome game, if for no other reason than I'm in Tampa, and they seem to always make for memorable prime time games (@PHI in '03, v.IND in '03, v.Rams in '00 off the top of my head). This would be a great game, but probably not the best option.

4) Miami might be pretty scary next season, but they still would need at least a few weeks to really get people to buy into it.

5) Cincinnati likely won't have Carson Palmer back. At best, let's say it's a coin flip by mid-Summer... if he's not in, and Kitna's gone to Detroit, what do they have to hype this game? It'll be an ###-pounding.

6)Too many people are convinced Baltimore is terrible. Even though they really just had some bad luck last season, I highly doubt they'll be able to market a team that just likes to sit on the ball and strut its defense.

7)Cleveland would probably make for a pretty decent game, but at this point in the season, it just wouldn't be a fair fight. It's hard to market a team that hasn't had a winning record in more than 3 seasons.

8)New Orleans is out of the question. They'll won't hit the .500 mark until week 1 of the 2007 season.

Of those, I think based on what Kansas City does early in the offseason will determine whether they get this game.

Users who are viewing this thread