What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be/should be ROY this year? (1 Viewer)

Who WILL be ROY this year?

• Matt Ryan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Flacco

• Chris Johnson

• Matt Forte

• Steve Slaton

• Tim Hightower

• Eddie Royal

• DeSean Jackson

• Other

• Total voters
Forte should be getting more love IMO. In real football the WHOLE Chicago offense goes through him.
:confused: - That offense goes through Orton. Forte does provide a much needed running threat, but we just saw how much Orton means to that team.

Ryan has been fantastic. Gotta be him despite the impressive RBs. Leading what was a desperate ugly franchise to the playoffs right now as a rookie. I don't see how anyone else could be justified except for maybe Chris Johnson.
I don't understand this very common thought process. Not picking on you in particular, but isn't Joe Flacco doing basically the same thing? Everybody's talking about how unique Ryan's situation is, but it doesn't seem that unique to me.Flacoo has his team with the 2nd best record in the AFC at 6-3. His team was 5-11 last year.Ryan has his team at the same 6-3 with a few more teams in his conference over that mark. His team was 4-12 last year.Both teams had bad offenses the year before.Basically, both of these guys have turned bad teams into contenders as rookies. Flacco had more struggles early, but recently has been looking very good (even from a fantasy perspective).I guess what I am trying to say is, sure, I'd give the edge to Ryan because he is putting up slightly better numbers. But most of what people seem to be so impressed with Ryan over (and rightly so) has been done by Flacco as well, and part of the discrepancy in the numbers can be attributed to the team's offensiv e scheme/style. There is plenty of time left in the season for either one of them to go in either direction though, and I just don't see this as the landslide it is portrayed to be.

Forte should be getting more love IMO. In real football the WHOLE Chicago offense goes through him. In FF he is the #1 RB in PPR leagues right now, pending what Gore does tonight.
:confused: I don't necessarily agree with the WHOLE Chicago offense part, but I can't believe the lack of attention he is getting. The guy is sitting with 995 combined yards and 7 TD's. This, when we have posts saying Royal may be a lock for 2nd right now (with 625 yards and 4 td's). Matt Ryan being a QB helps him in the race, but Forte (and Chris Johnson) MUST be in the conversation at this point.

Ryan has been fantastic. Gotta be him despite the impressive RBs. Leading what was a desperate ugly franchise to the playoffs right now as a rookie. I don't see how anyone else could be justified except for maybe Chris Johnson.
I don't understand this very common thought process. Not picking on you in particular, but isn't Joe Flacco doing basically the same thing? Everybody's talking about how unique Ryan's situation is, but it doesn't seem that unique to me.Flacoo has his team with the 2nd best record in the AFC at 6-3. His team was 5-11 last year.Ryan has his team at the same 6-3 with a few more teams in his conference over that mark. His team was 4-12 last year.Both teams had bad offenses the year before.Basically, both of these guys have turned bad teams into contenders as rookies. Flacco had more struggles early, but recently has been looking very good (even from a fantasy perspective).I guess what I am trying to say is, sure, I'd give the edge to Ryan because he is putting up slightly better numbers. But most of what people seem to be so impressed with Ryan over (and rightly so) has been done by Flacco as well, and part of the discrepancy in the numbers can be attributed to the team's offensiv e scheme/style. There is plenty of time left in the season for either one of them to go in either direction though, and I just don't see this as the landslide it is portrayed to be.
Prior to the beginning of the season the PERCEPTION was that the team Ryan inherited was FAR FAR worse than the team Flacco inherited.The consensus was that the Falcons had the WORST OL in the league. Mediocre WR's. An untested #1 RB. A poor D. And a rookie coach. Coming off one of the most disastrous seasons in NFL history. General consensus was the Falcons would be if not the worst team in the league one of the worst...years away from respectability.The Ravens had a bad record the year before because they had terrible QB play. This is essentially the same team who won 13 games in 2006. They are a team that needed a QB to manage the game without making a lot of mistakes. They have a dominate D that can control the pace of games and relive lots of pressure for a rookie QB.Both have played great. Ryan's play and attitude has done much more to turn around the franchise and give credibility to the organization.At this point Ryan in a landslide.

I went with Royal as who should get it and Ryan will get it. How often do WR's perform that well as a rookie?
Royal is the better player right now, but Ryan will get it because his success is more visible.
What exactly makes Royal the better player right now? He's having a great season for sure, but so is Ryan. Define what you mean when you say Royal is better.IMO QB is a much tougher position, so edge to Ryan there. And Ryan has led the Falcons to a 6-3 record so far, coming off a 4-12 record last season. I know he isn't solely responsible, but he is a big part of it, and it's impressive.I think Royal has been great, but I also think he has benefitted from (a) playing for a team that throws a lot of passes (#3 in the league in attempts) and (b) having Marshall and Sheffler to draw plenty of defensive attention, leaving Royal in single coverage consistently.I'd definitely rank Johnson ahead of Royal at this point, and it's a toss up as to whether or not he or Slaton has been better. But they are all behind Ryan.
Do you realize that Royal has 52 catches after playing in 8 games? No rookie WR has ever done that....But in this league playing well at QB trumps a guy playing out of his mind at WR....

thatguy said:
Voted Ryan and think if he keeps it up he'll be a lock. But I think Royal right now should be a lock for second - unfortunately I don't think the votes, if tallied today, would agree with that. I'm probably biased, but it seems to me what Royal is doing is far more special than what CJ3 is doing.
Chris Johnson is on pace for 1603 total yards and 11 TDs as the offensive workhorse of what is arguably the best team in the league. IMO that is superior to what Royal is doing, especially when you consider he's on pace for 11 TDs despite playing with the biggest TD vulture in the league.
I realize because of just the numbers, people are going to think that what CJ3 is doing is somehow more special, or even more difficult to do. But we see rookie RB's make big impacts every year. What Royal is doing is far more difficult and rare.However, you do make some valid points in your previous post, although I still think it more appropriate to take into account that Royal missed a game and prorate his stats for 16 games, if only for the sake of seeing how dominant he is becoming.

As a CJ3 owner, let me first off say that i will forever be grateful for what he has done for me this FF season. with that in mind, this award belongs to Matt Ryan. what he has done this season is nothing short of amazing and with Roddy and Turner helping, the skies the limit for this kid.

Unfortunately, the press that CJ3 has gotten being on an up to this point undefeated team is going to hold alot of weight with the voters.

Voted for CJ3 who SHOULD win but it will go to the glamour position, the QB (Matt Ryan). Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is contending for a playoff spot because of Ryan's play. But Tennessee is undefeated, to a large part, because of CJ3's explosiveness. Like someone else mentioned, imagine how many TDs and yards he'd have if Landwhale White wasn't in the same backfield. That would make it a slam dunk.

Prior to the beginning of the season the PERCEPTION was that the team Ryan inherited was FAR FAR worse than the team Flacco inherited.The consensus was that the Falcons had the WORST OL in the league. Mediocre WR's. An untested #1 RB. A poor D. And a rookie coach. Coming off one of the most disastrous seasons in NFL history. General consensus was the Falcons would be if not the worst team in the league one of the worst...years away from respectability.The Ravens had a bad record the year before because they had terrible QB play. This is essentially the same team who won 13 games in 2006. They are a team that needed a QB to manage the game without making a lot of mistakes. They have a dominate D that can control the pace of games and relive lots of pressure for a rookie QB.Both have played great. Ryan's play and attitude has done much more to turn around the franchise and give credibility to the organization.At this point Ryan in a landslide.
The Falcon's OL was definitely one of the worst, but it wasn't the "consensus WORST OL in the league." That would be the Lions, again.

Because Ryan looked composed from the get go, looked like a leader from the start of the season. Flacco looked like he was hurting his team in the beginning of the season, the opposite of Ryan with 1 TD and 7 INT's. Flacco has been playing much better lately but still 1:1 TD:INT Ratio (7TD's, 7 INT's) compared to Ryan's 11 TD's and 5 INT's.

What an amazing year he is having. When was the last time a QB had as an impressive of a rookie year? Marino in 83? The Dolphins were a Super Bowl team the year before, which I think makes the job Ryan is doing with Atlanta more impressive. He might not get 20 TDs, but will probably pass Marino's rookie year in yardage.

I think "lock" is overstating it, but he might be in the lead at this point and has looked great this season.

His main competition is Chris Johnson & Matt Forte with guys like DeSean Jackson & Donnie Avery on the far outside.

I'd call him the front runner at this point. Lil' Johnson and Forte have to be in the discussion, and Flacco is making some fans too. Fraction Jackson could also end up on this list. Way too early to annoint anyone, and don't forget that each of these teams are sqarely in the playoff picture. When some teams fall off, and their rook hits "the wall," things will change.

What an amazing year he is having. When was the last time a QB had as an impressive of a rookie year? Marino in 83? The Dolphins were a Super Bowl team the year before, which I think makes the job Ryan is doing with Atlanta more impressive. He might not get 20 TDs, but will probably pass Marino's rookie year in yardage.
Yes, Marino joined a Super Bowl team and he also only played in 11 games as a rookie. I assume he did not begin the season as a starter, like Ryan did.Ryan is on pace for 3400/20/9 in 16 games. Marino had 2210/20/6 in 11 games. Marino was more productive per game, and also more efficient (96 QB rating to Ryan's 89.9), but overall I think if Ryan does maintain his pace, and especially if the Falcons win 10+ games after winning only 4 last season, Ryan's season is more impressive.

I've watched just about every Atlanta game this year and one thing that really impresses me about Ryan's year is just how effective he has been in early in games. Five of his TDs have come in the first quarter and 8 have come in the first half. In at least four games this year, Atlanta jumped out to early leads and Ryan basically spent the second halves handing off and throwing conservative passes. He has few garbage stats whatsoever. Quite impressive.

CJ or Ryan willl win it.

I think Forte leads the Bears in rushing, receiving, and TDs and well that's pretty awesome for a rook. He at least deserves being mentioned

Last edited by a moderator:
CJ or Ryan willl win it.I think Forte leads the Bears in rushing, receiving, and TDs and well that's pretty awesome for a rook. He at least deserves being mentioned
Neither RB has a prayer of winning it. What they're doing isn't all that special in the history of rookie RBs. Ryan is performing like a Pro Bowl type QB as a rookie. He has a last place team from last season in the mix for a playoff spot. He'll win this and it won't be close.

CJ or Ryan willl win it.I think Forte leads the Bears in rushing, receiving, and TDs and well that's pretty awesome for a rook. He at least deserves being mentioned
Neither RB has a prayer of winning it. What they're doing isn't all that special in the history of rookie RBs. Ryan is performing like a Pro Bowl type QB as a rookie. He has a last place team from last season in the mix for a playoff spot. He'll win this and it won't be close.
:confused: It's so tough for a rookie QB to step right in and perform well. The fact that he's also leading his team into the playoffs seals the deal.

It's not special that Forte leads his team in receptions or rec yards, rushing yards, and TDs?For each player I've noticed a few times player X has done this which only Earl Campbell and Eddie George or only Walter Payton and Neal Anderson have done. I don't know why Neal(and several other Bears RBs) looked good early on and their career quickly went south but, ya gotta concede that's some pretty good company they're in.here is rookie of the week honors:Week 1: Eddie Royal, WR, Denver Broncos Week 2: Felix Jones, RB, Dallas Cowboys Week 3: Felix Jones, RB, Dallas Cowboys Week 4: Chris Horton, S, Washington Redskins Week 5: Felix Jones, RB, Dallas Cowboys Week 6: Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta Falcons Week 7: Chris Johnson, RB, Tennessee Titans Week 8: Joe Flacco, QB, Baltimore Ravens Week 9: Chris Johnson, RB, Tennessee Titans Week 10: Eddie Royal, WR, Denver Broncos Week 11: Spencer Larsen, FB/LB, Denver Broncos Week 12: Matt Forte, RB, Chicago Bears Week 13: Peyton Hillis, FB, Denver Broncos Week 14: Ryan Clady, T, Denver Broncos Week 15: Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta Falcons Week 16: Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta Falcons Looks like Ryan is up 3-2 on CJ and Felix is also at 3.

:football: It's so tough for a rookie QB to step right in and perform well. The fact that he's also leading his team into the playoffs seals the deal.
my OP was that CJ or Ryan wins it. "neither RB has a prayer" is too extreme a response IMO. They do have a legit shot

Also, this past week Ryan didn't deserve rookie of the week but won it anyway. Jason Jones 3.5 sacks and 3 FF is better than any NFL DT has done in one game this year.

Matt threw for 134 yards and was almost 50%. That's his worst game this year and I mean cmon with those QB numbers winning anything. I think that could be a sign it's going his way for rook of the year.

Also, this past week Ryan didn't deserve rookie of the week but won it anyway. Jason Jones 3.5 sacks and 3 FF is better than any NFL DT has done in one game this year.Matt threw for 134 yards and was almost 50%. That's his worst game this year and I mean cmon with those QB numbers winning anything. I think that could be a sign it's going his way for rook of the year.
Ryan and it's not close........he is doing it at the hardest Position in the NFL(learning curve from College to the pros).....there are some very good rookie running backs this year......but for me running back is the easiest position to transition to from college to the pros

Also, this past week Ryan didn't deserve rookie of the week but won it anyway. Jason Jones 3.5 sacks and 3 FF is better than any NFL DT has done in one game this year.Matt threw for 134 yards and was almost 50%. That's his worst game this year and I mean cmon with those QB numbers winning anything. I think that could be a sign it's going his way for rook of the year.
Ryan and it's not close........he is doing it at the hardest Position in the NFL(learning curve from College to the pros).....there are some very good rookie running backs this year......but for me running back is the easiest position to transition to from college to the pros
Flacco down? While I think Ryan will win it, Flacco deserves some consideration and makes it closer than you think.

pasting:

Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan received the second most votes among rookies in the Pro Bowl fan balloting, which concluded on Tuesday.

Tennessee running back Chris Johnson was the top rookie vote-getter with 534,170 votes. Ryan received 416,468 votes. Rounding out the top five rookies were, Chicago running back Matt Forte (246,298), Washington strong safety Chris Horton (242,298) and Houston running back Steve Slaton (220,966).

MATT FORTÉ leads NFL rookies with 1,640 scrimmage yards & ties for NFL lead with 82 1st downs. Is only rookie to lead team in rushing (1,188), receptions (60) & TDs (12). Joined HOFer WALTER PAYTON (1978) & NEAL ANDERSON (1989) as only Bears with 1,000+ rush yards, 50+ catches & 10+ TDs in season

MATT FORTÉ leads NFL rookies with 1,640 scrimmage yards & ties for NFL lead with 82 1st downs. Is only rookie to lead team in rushing (1,188), receptions (60) & TDs (12). Joined HOFer WALTER PAYTON (1978) & NEAL ANDERSON (1989) as only Bears with 1,000+ rush yards, 50+ catches & 10+ TDs in season
Leading NFL rookies in YFS and 1st downs is impressive and relevant to ROY. His place among Bears greats in various things is impressive but not relevant to ROY.

one of Flacco or Ryan isn't very good on the road and is very good at home...which is it?
found it.Rookie QB MATT RYAN has completed 111 of 167 (66.5 pct.) for 1,617 yards with 5 TDs vs. 3 INTs for 100.3 passer rating at home. Falcons 6-1 at home, 4-4 on the road.Assuming my math is right- 144 of 246 (58%) for 1663 yards 10 TD 6 INT on the road.The W-L "looks bad" but now that I've dug into it I'm not sure there's much here

Flacco has played against top defenses like the Steelers, Giants, Titans, Redskins, and the Eagles. Ryan has faced teams like the Lions, Chiefs, and Broncos with a tough test in the Bucs where he went went 13-33 and had 2 INTs.

Since week 7, Flacco has played very well and has also had some very strong fourth quarter numbers.

Flacco has played against top defenses like the Steelers, Giants, Titans, Redskins, and the Eagles. Ryan has faced teams like the Lions, Chiefs, and Broncos with a tough test in the Bucs where he went went 13-33 and had 2 INTs.Since week 7, Flacco has played very well and has also had some very strong fourth quarter numbers.
10 of the Falcons' 15 games so far were against opponents that currently have winning records: Tampa (twice), Carolina (twice), New Orleans (twice), Chicago, Philadelphia, Denver, and Minnesota. They also won at San Diego, and the Chargers will likely end up winning their division.9 of the Ravens' 15 games so far were against opponents that currently have winning records: Pittsburgh (twice), Tennessee, Indianapolis, Miami, New York Giants, Philadelphia, Washington, and Dallas.Sure, Ryan played Detroit, Kansas City, and Denver. But Flacco played the Bengals twice and Browns twice. IMO the schedules are close enough that it does not really support either guy getting credit over the other for strength of schedule.

Borrowing this from GoldenElite27's post on baltimoresun.com

http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=177775

Here are the stats after 15 weeks.

Comp/Att - % - Yards - TD/INT - sacks - Rtg - rush TDs - Fumb

Ryan: 255/413 - 61.7 - 3280 - 15/9 - 16 - 89.7 - 1 - 6

Flacco: 240/405 - 59.3 - 2674 - 14/12 - 30 - 78.2 - 2 - 11

Looking at the statistics it would seem like Ryan is the clear favorite. Not only does Ryan have better stats, but he has been the "media darling" since April.

So why should Joe even get consideration when Ryan has better statistics? Lets hope the voters do their homework on this one.

List of opposing defenses that both QBs have faced.

Defense (rank)

Ryan: Det (32), Tampa (9), KC (31), Car (13), GB (24), Chi (14), Phi (3), Oak (27), NO (18), Den (28), Car (13), SD (25), NO (18), Tampa (9), Minn (6), Remaining Stl (29).

Top 10 Competition: Phi (3), Minn (6), 2x TB (9), 2x Car (13), Chi (14), 2x NO (18), GB (24).

Flacco: Cin (21), Cle (26), Pit (1), Tenn (5), Ind (11), Mia (15), Oak (27), Cle (26), Hou (22), NY (7), Phi (3), Cin (21), Wash (4), Pit (1), Dal (8), Remaining Jax (12).

Top 10 Competition: 2x Pit (1), Phi (3), Wash (4), Tenn (5), NY (7), Dal (8), Ind (11), Mia (15), Cin (21).

So despite the fact that Ryan does have better stats (only slightly better) it is pretty evident that Flacco has faced far superior competition.

This was based on total yards allowed, but what I really wanted to know was how well do these defenses attack the QB.

Here is a list of the top 10 defenses in the sack category.

1- Dallas (58)

2- Pit (48)

3- Phi (44)

4- Minn, Tenn (43)

6- Mia, NYG, NYJ (40)

9- Car (35)

10- Sea (34)

So we have Flacco facing 6 of the top 10 pressure defenses including the top 4, while Ryan has faced 3 of these defenses. So right now it is pretty clear that Flacco's competition is of a higher level than Ryan's.

Flacco has played against top defenses like the Steelers, Giants, Titans, Redskins, and the Eagles. Ryan has faced teams like the Lions, Chiefs, and Broncos with a tough test in the Bucs where he went went 13-33 and had 2 INTs.Since week 7, Flacco has played very well and has also had some very strong fourth quarter numbers.
the latter part only supports roughly half a season though

faust I wonder if you use passing D and modify that guys post, curious how it'll work out.

Just Win Baby said:
Bri said:
Leading NFL rookies in YFS and 1st downs is impressive and relevant to ROY. His place among Bears greats in various things is impressive but not relevant to ROY.
The Bears have been around for quite a while, it's pretty impressive, and something most voters will look at...but yeah, in a head to head comparison, it doesn't mean much...

With the media's love for QBs, nobody has a chance vs. Matt Ryan, not even Chris Johnson.

Fortunately for Matty, he absolutely deserves it. For once, NFL scouts got it right - the most NFL-ready QB to come out of the 2008 draft.

Users who are viewing this thread