What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the #2 WR for these teams? (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
With not a lot of big name WR's available this offseason, guys like Givens, Randle El and Jurevicius are getting more attention than may have been expected. It is assumed that each of these will be changing teams beginning next week when free agency kicks off. These three were the #2 WR for their respective teams this past season. If they leave, who will be the new starter for their former teams? I haven't heard many rumors of any of these three teams signing a WR.

Seattle could go with Engram, since he was basically an equal to Joe, just not quite as healthy.

New England always seems to plug someone in that works, but some of their players are starting to show their age.

Pittburgh doesn't have much after Hines Ward.

What do you think? Who will step in to be the new #2 WR for these teams? Are there other situations like these that I've missed?

Pitt - Wilson or A.R.E.

NE - Jurevicius or Givens

Sea- Engram or Jurevicius

None probly want to spend the money on a guy with any character issues (Bryant, Moulds). Randle El might command a whole lot of money, so that I think leaves NE (maybe Pitt) out of that race. All seem to love the city they play for, so I wouldnt be THAT surprised if all stayed. Engram has been the #2 in Seattle for years. Jurevicius will almost certainly end up back in Seattle, or in NE, or Cleveland.

Buf- I dont think Moulds is returning. Hasnt burned bridges, but his cap number is still pretty high... if they cut him, I would be utterly unsurprised to see them land Givens

Cle- Bryant is all but gone. Jurevicius if anyone new.... they wont sign anyone big since they have Winslow, Edwards, Northcutt

Hou- Gaffney?

Mia- Moulds, Bryant, or Givens

Phi- ditto

Ten- Brandon Jones / Roydell Williams

Was- I really doubt theyll bring in Givens after the David Patten failure. They might not have cap space to get any FA. Though theyll probly draft someone.

Chi- This is Randle Els most likely destination IMO. He might also be the Bears' best QB.

Let's add to the 'Who will be the #2 WR for these teams?' list:

Buf -1 - Evans 2- Parrish - Moulds moves on

Cle - Braylon 2- Northcutt  - A.bryant probably gone

Hou - Jabbar Gaffney

Mia - Marty Booker

Phi - Reggie Brown, they probably get a FA veteran

Ten - Brandon Jones, pending knee injury, Courtny Roby

Was - Taylor Jacobs, Patten
NE - Bethel JohnsonPitt- Ced Wilson

Seattle - Engram (easiest to pick, even if Joey J is back)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engram is the definite #2 in Seattle. If Jurevicius leaves I think we've seen enough from Hackett to believe he can fill the #3 spot well enough for this offense not to miss a beat.

NE - Andre Davis

Pitt- Cedrick Wilson

Seattle - Engram

Buf - Parrish

Cle - Northcutt

Hou - Gaffney

Mia - Marty Booker

Phi - Moulds

Ten - Roydell Williams

Was - Taylor Jacobs

Was - Taylor Jacobs
I doubt that that will happen, sadly. Jacobs just cannot shake tight coverage often enough to be a reliable starting receiver. It's more likely David Patten will be the #2, and the coaches will try to make Mark Brunell aware of "the other guy out there" as he constantly focuses on Santana Moss.

Cle - Braylon 2- Northcutt - A.bryant probably gone

Hou - Jabbar Gaffney

Mia - Marty Booker

Please don't place your answers within my quote as though I'm the one giving the names. Bad form.Here are my meaningless guesses, FWIW -

Buf - I agree Moulds moves on, and could see Parrish as #2 although he makes Santana Moss look big. Perhaps Booker goes here. Or here's one for ya. Dallas ends up with T.O., Keyshawn is dropped, and he ends up here. :eek:

Cle - Bryant gone, yes. They will need a legit but inexpensive #2, leaving Northcutt as #3. Jurevicius here.

Hou - Antonio Bryant moves in, Jabbar Gaffney moves on.

Mia - I think this is where Givens goes.

Phi - Moulds lands here to pair with R Brown.

Ten - I'm in a small minority who believes C Roby has a bright future and will emerge ahead of Brandon Jones, Roydell Williams, and Ty Calico by the end of 2006.

Was - Jacobs had his shot and wasted it. Patten is a dinosaur. I could see Jabar Gaffney landing here.

NE - Andre Davis or a fairly cheap alternative.

Pit - Wilson will be the #2.

Sea - Engram remains.

Was - Taylor Jacobs
I doubt that that will happen, sadly. Jacobs just cannot shake tight coverage often enough to be a reliable starting receiver. It's more likely David Patten will be the #2, and the coaches will try to make Mark Brunell aware of "the other guy out there" as he constantly focuses on Santana Moss.
Really who else is even in Washington? thrash? He might get another shot, but knowing Danny warbucks he'll bring in someone else.

Hou - Jabbar Gaffney

Mia - Marty Booker

NE - Bethel Johnson

Pitt- Ced Wilson

Please don't place your answers within my quote as though I'm the one giving the names. Bad form.

Most vets know how that goes.

Take it easy

Really who else is even in Washington? thrash? He might get another shot, but knowing Danny warbucks he'll bring in someone else.
They have Thrash and some rookie whose name I forget who may yet someday get open. Not much. If there's no CBA they may not be able to bring in anyone but a rookie, according to Vinnie Cerrato.

They have Thrash and some rookie whose name I forget who may yet someday get open. Not much. If there's no CBA they may not be able to bring in anyone but a rookie, according to Vinnie Cerrato.
Let Hixon suit up. If he can teach it, he oughta be able to do it. :D

Hou - Jabbar Gaffney

Mia - Marty Booker

Please no!!!!!!!!! He's got AWFUL hands.Also, I cannot see Givens going back to NE. I think this is about his only chance to get even moderately big bucks. The free agent WR "class" isn't that good, so maybe this is the best opportunity to cash in.

The Pats will have a very dfferent group of WRs next year. Right now they only have one definite for 06 and that's Branch. Givens is probably gone. Especially after the $ Reggie Wayne got. Also, with Branch coming up next year they're only going to keep one of the two at good money and it will be Branch. Instead of signing one big name look for the Pats to distribute some money between two guys. The Pats badly need some WR depth. Givens is gone, Davis is a free agent and is nothing special anyways, Troy is 76 years old and Bethel is complete garbage.

Here's a guess on what their WR corps will look like next year:

#1-Branch-Not a traditional #1 but he's their guy.

#2-Brian Finneran-Gives them a big guy with solid hands at an affordable price.

#3-Keenan McCardell-Gives them a very solid #3. Much improved over last year's #3.

#4/#5-Two of four between Troy Brown, Andre Davis, Bam Childress and a probable draft pick. Childress is a little intriguing but I don't see him and Brown making it together. They're both smallish players. PK Sam is also hanging around but I have zero expectations for him.

In the end I see them being able to get two guys like Finneran and McCardell for around or even less money than Givens. With Seymour, Koppen and Branch's deals coming up next year (as well as other needs this offseason like CB and S) the Pats just can't afford to pay Givens the money he will get on the open market.

While I'd love to see Moulds end up on the Pats, I think he'd be a superb addition to the Eagles.

Buf

Cle

Hou

Mia

Phi

Ten

Was
Buffalo is a good example assuming Moulds leaves, but the others didn't really have a #2 this year.St. Louis could be another if they cut Bruce, but I would imagine Curtis would step into that role.

Hou - Jabbar Gaffney

Mia - Marty Booker

Please no!!!!!!!!! He's got AWFUL hands.Also, I cannot see Givens going back to NE. I think this is about his only chance to get even moderately big bucks. The free agent WR "class" isn't that good, so maybe this is the best opportunity to cash in.
Has he even played WR that much?If givens is gone, that leaves Tim Dwight and Andra Davis.

The true WR2 on that team maybe Ben Watson

Patten was the 2 before he got hurt.....

The Pats will have a very dfferent group of WRs next year. Right now they only have one definite for 06 and that's Branch. Givens is probably gone. Especially after the $ Reggie Wayne got. Also, with Branch coming up next year they're only going to keep one of the two at good money and it will be Branch. Instead of signing one big name look for the Pats to distribute some money between two guys. The Pats badly need some WR depth. Givens is gone, Davis is a free agent and is nothing special anyways, Troy is 76 years old and Bethel is complete garbage.

#3-Keenan McCardell-Gives them a very solid #3. Much improved over last year's #3.

#4/#5-Two of four between Troy Brown, Andre Davis, Bam Childress and a probable draft pick. Childress is a little intriguing but I don't see him and Brown making it together. They're both smallish players. PK Sam is also hanging around but I have zero expectations for him.

In the end I see them being able to get two guys like Finneran and McCardell for around or even less money than Givens. With Seymour, Koppen and Branch's deals coming up next year (as well as other needs this offseason like CB and S) the Pats just can't afford to pay Givens the money he will get on the open market.
:goodposting: I agree with just about everything here, as is usually the case when Boston posts about the Patriots. Joe Jurevicius is another guy to keep an eye on.

Engram is the definite #2 in Seattle. If Jurevicius leaves I think we've seen enough from Hackett to believe he can fill the #3 spot well enough for this offense not to miss a beat.
I'm confused as to why someone who has been a #3 quality WR for his entire career is suddenly a unanimous selection to be the No.2 in Seattle.http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1205

What there shows you he should be a No.2? He's a role-player. A Very good one, but a role-player.

At best I'd consider him a situational No.2.

Keyshawn Johnson. He's a No.2 receiver. Donald Driver. TJ Houshmanzadeh. Peerless Price. Reggie Wayne. These guys are No.2 receivers. Engram is not a No.2 receiver.

He belongs with Ricky Proehl. Joe Jurevicius. Robert Ferguson. Eric Parker. Peter Warrick. Az Hakim. These guys are all role-players. Engram Belongs here.

The Seahawks will find a No.2, and it won't be Engram unless he's forced to play the position. He's not at the necessary skill level to be a real No.2 receiver though.

I have to believe with all of that leftover cap room after re-signing Hutchinson and Alexander, that they will find a No.2 receiver.

Honestly, I think Peerless Price or Rod Gardner would be a couple solid "buy low" candidates to takeover the No.2 role....

Antonio Bryant would be good... but if they couldn't put up with Robinson, I fail to see how Bryant would land there...

just some thoughts.

Buf - Kevin Johnson

Cle - David Givens

Hou - Antonio Bryant

Mia - Peerless Price

Phi - Maurice Stovall (2nd round) ;)

Ten - Drew Bennett (No.1 = Roydell Williams! :) )

Was - Keenan McCardell

and I'll add:

SD - Kassim Osgood

CHI - Antwan Randel El

SEA - DJ Hackett

Last edited:
Honestly, I think Peerless Price or Rod Gardner would be a couple solid "buy low" candidates to takeover the No.2 role....
Wasn't it the case that neither of these guys could even hang on to a roster spot last year?

Wasn't it the case that neither of these guys could even hang on to a roster spot last year?
There's a long list of guys that do wonders with a change of scenery. You really believe Price went from making Bledsoe look like Joe Montana to having Vick make him look like (insert Seahawks Receiver)?

Last edited:
I'm confused as to why someone who has been a #3 quality WR for his entire career is suddenly a unanimous selection to be the No.2 in Seattle.http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1205

What there shows you he should be a No.2? He's a role-player. A Very good one, but a role-player.

At best I'd consider him a situational No.2.

Keyshawn Johnson. He's a No.2 receiver. Donald Driver. TJ Houshmanzadeh. Peerless Price. Reggie Wayne. These guys are No.2 receivers. Engram is not a No.2 receiver.

He belongs with Ricky Proehl. Joe Jurevicius. Robert Ferguson. Eric Parker. Peter Warrick. Az Hakim. These guys are all role-players. Engram Belongs here.

The Seahawks will find a No.2, and it won't be Engram unless he's forced to play the position. He's not at the necessary skill level to be a real No.2 receiver though.

I have to believe with all of that leftover cap room after re-signing Hutchinson and Alexander, that they will find a No.2 receiver.

Antonio Bryant would be good... but if they couldn't put up with Robinson, I fail to see how Bryant would land there...

just some thoughts.

Buf - Kevin Johnson

Cle - David Givens

Hou - Antonio Bryant

Mia - Peerless Price

Phi - Maurice Stovall (2nd round) ;)

Ten - Drew Bennett (No.1 = Roydell Williams! :) )

Was - Keenan McCardell

and I'll add:

SD - Kassim Osgood

CHI - Antwan Randel El

SEA - DJ Hackett
To put it nicely, I know this team forward and backwards. Why would I think it? Because I know it. Could that change? You bet, but for the moment the job certainly belongs to Engram. Is he the prototype that fits your personal stereotype? Doesn't sound like it, but then again, this is not your stereotypical offense. They sent Koren Robinson packing because they knew they would be better with Engram in the game as a starter, and they were better. Engram is a quality football player. That's the bottom line. He gets open. He catches the ball. He moves the sticks.

The Pats will have a very dfferent group of WRs next year.  Right now they only have one definite for 06 and that's Branch.  Givens is probably gone.  Especially after the $ Reggie Wayne got.  Also, with Branch coming up next year they're only going to keep one of the two at good money and it will be Branch.  Instead of signing one big name look for the Pats to distribute some money between two guys.  The Pats badly need some WR depth.  Givens is gone, Davis is a free agent and is nothing special anyways, Troy is 76 years old and Bethel is complete garbage.

#3-Keenan McCardell-Gives them a very solid #3.  Much improved over last year's #3.

#4/#5-Two of four between Troy Brown, Andre Davis, Bam Childress and a probable draft pick.  Childress is a little intriguing but I don't see him and Brown making it together.  They're both smallish players.  PK Sam is also hanging around but I have zero expectations for him.  

In the end I see them being able to get two guys like Finneran and McCardell for around or even less money than Givens.  With Seymour, Koppen and Branch's deals coming up next year (as well as other needs this offseason like CB and S) the Pats just can't afford to pay Givens the money he will get on the open market.
:goodposting: I agree with just about everything here, as is usually the case when Boston posts about the Patriots. Joe Jurevicius is another guy to keep an eye on.
My concern with JJ is that due to Wayne's contract and a thin free agent market you'll have to overpay for him. He'd be a nice compliment to Branch but I'm guessing the dollars could get too high for him as well as El.

!, could you comment a little more on DJ Hackett? I recently picked him up on a flyer, but I have to admit that I don't know much about him.

Engram used to be the number one receiver in Chicago before a knee injury. He's been the number 2 in Seattle ever since Koren was released.

Saying the guy has been a number 3 his whole career is as inaccurate as you can get.

more thoughts:

ARE, Jurevicius, Bryant, Moulds (if released) and Givens are possibilities for every team in good cap shape.

Buf - Parrish is not a #2. They will keep Moulds or sign a decent FA as they are in solid cap shape.

Cle - Theyve made a lot of noise about not bringing back Bryant. Givens would makes sense. I dont think Northcutt is a #2.

Hou - Gaffney is possible if they spend money elsewhere and want to re-sign him on the cheap. Mathis could be the #2 eventually, but Im not sure he's ready this year. I expect at least a minor signing.

Mia - Chambers if TO comes to town? :ph34r: I espect them to be in the mix for the big FAs.

Phi - Definitely in the mix for the FAs. ARE and Moulds have been mentioned in connection with them recently.

Ten - weird offense with the focus on the TEs, they should stand pat with what they have. Jones will be the #2 as long as his knee is ok.

Was - Im sure they would love ARE, but the cap situation is brutal. Patten might well be back as the #2 - he struggled with injuries a lot this year.

pittsburgh homer here. i can't believe how many votes for Cedric Wilson there are. he was medicore at best last season--some decent postseason play might be influencing us (and maybe the steelers themselves). for all the talk about Wilson's hands and route-running, he sure didn't impress this year. i think the steelers would be crazy to stand pat with respect to WR in free agency. i think a better #2 can be had at a reasonable price. my guess:

1) hines ward

2) antonio bryant

3) ced wilson

4) quincy morgan

!, could you comment a little more on DJ Hackett? I recently picked him up on a flyer, but I have to admit that I don't know much about him.
DJ Hackett page at Seahawks.com
2004: Declared inactive for the first seven games of the regular season before being placed on injured reserve (hip) November 5.

Pro:

Drafted by Seattle in the fifth round (157th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft.
Played two seasons at California State University, Northridge until the football program was discontinued in 2001. Transferred to Colorado and played a big part in the revival of the passing attack. In two seasons with the Buffs, hauled in 86 passes for 1,224 yards (14.2 avg.) and 11 touchdowns. RS Senior: All-Big Twelve Conference first-team selection by The NFL Report. Earned second-team honors from the Dallas-Morning News and the Forth Worth Star-Telegram. Third-team selection by the league’s coaches. Received honors from the Colorado Chapter of the National Football Foundation and was selected by his teammates as Colorado’s 2003 Most Valuable Player. One of only two players to earn way on to CU’s presitigous Victory Club. Set a school season-record with 78 receptions for 1,013 yards and seven touchdowns. RS Junior: Transferred to Colorado in time to begin the spring semester. Played in every game as a reserve. Finished fourth on the team with 15 receptions for 181 yards and two touchdowns. RS Sophomore: Started 10 games at Cal State-Northridge. Hauled in 53 passes for 778 yards and set a school season-record with 10 touchdowns, one in every game. RS Freshman: Started every game and finished second on the team with 47 catches for 729 yards and seven touchdowns. Pulled in career-high 12 catches for 170 yards and a touchdown against Sacramento State. True Freshman: Redhirted freshman year and contributed on the scout team at Cal State-Northridge.
Attended San Dimas (Cal.) High where he was a three-year letter winner in football, basketball and track. Earned All-Valley Vista League, All-CIF, All-Inland Valley and was a Los Angeles Times All-Star as a senior. Father, Eddie, played briefly with the Minnesota Vikings. Born DeAndre James Hackett but has gone by D.J. for as long as he can remember. Majored in Kinesiology. Born July 31, 1981.
I'm a fan. I was pleased with what he showed us this year when he was shoved into a more prominent role due to Jackson and Engram injuries. He's listed at 6'-2" 199 lbs. He has height to pull in balls over the top and plenty of wheels to gain separation. More importantly he has toughness. He'll get compared to Todd Pinkston (due to his build), but Hackett is a much more aggressive kid and isn't afraid to take the big hit.
+----------+--------+-------------+----+| WK OPP | RSHYD | REC YD | TD |+----------+--------+-------------+----+| 4 was | 0 | 0 0 | 0 || 5 ram | 0 | 5 43 | 0 || 6 hou | 0 | 0 0 | 0 || 7 dal | 0 | 4 36 | 0 || 9 ari | 0 | 0 0 | 0 || 10 ram | 0 | 2 78 | 1 || 11 sfo | 0 | 6 67 | 1 || 12 nyg | 0 | 2 47 | 0 || 13 phi | 0 | 1 42 | 0 || 14 sfo | 0 | 3 43 | 0 || 15 ten | 0 | 0 0 | 0 || 16 ind | 0 | 1 5 | 0 || 17 gnb | 0 | 4 39 | 0 |+----------+--------+-------------+----+| TOTAL | 0 | 28 400 | 2 |+----------+--------+-------------+----+A few final thoughts. In player analysis I tend to pride myself on WR evaluation. All the fantasy football success I've had through the years has been due to successfully nailing WR talent in late rounds. That comes from being able to find the guys who can produce. I don't fall in love with measurables. Koren Robinson should be the poster child for that. He sucks. Plain and simple he doesn't catch the ball well. I specifically look for WRs that gain separation and catch (pluck) the ball with their hands. The big negatives I look for are players that catch the ball against their body too often and leap for the ball when they don't have to. Yes, you want a guy that will go up high and snatch the ball, but not a guy that has to leave his feet every time. Being able to catch the ball in stride is also necessary, particularly on deep routes.I've had the chance to watch Hackett closely the last two years in training camp. I've seen every reception he's made in an NFL game. I like what I've seen.

Was - Taylor Jacobs
WAS scout was just interviewed on NFL Network. When asked their draft priorities, WR was the 1st position out of his mouth.Take it for what its worth.

There's a long list of guys that do wonders with a change of scenery. You really believe Price went from making Bledsoe look like Joe Montana to having Vick make him look like (insert Seahawks Receiver)?
I assume you were being a bit sarcastic, but I don't think Bledsoe ever looked like Joe Montana, even in his best years in New England. And Price couldn't hang on with either Atlanta or Dallas, so with all due respect, I'm not quite sure what your point is here - could you please elaborate a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread