What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the new Jets head coach? (1 Viewer)

metsjets91

Footballguy
Apparently, the Jets are looking at the Patriots defensive cordinator, Eric Mangini, and he appears to be the frontrunner to be the next coach of the Jets. I would be fine with him as the new Jets coach. The only problem is, is he really the best fit for the Jets? Personally, I think that Jim Fassel would be perfect for the Jets. Although Mangini has worked with belicheck for eleven years now, he has had no head coaching experience, and has only been a cordinator for one year. Fassel, on the other hand, was a head coach for eleven year, and had a winning record, in his career. He is offensive minded, and that's what the Jets need now. You know he won't be affected by the pressure of being in New York because he coached the Giants for seven yeaars, and even led them to a Super Bowl. If Fassel can turn the Jets' offensive around, they would be complimented with a top ten defensive. I would be fine with Mangini being the caoch, I just think that Jim Fassel would be a better fit.

I like Fassell myself. However, the only former head coaches that have made it to Professor Bradway's A-list are Jim Haslett and Mike Tice. I mentioned this on another Herm thread on this board 1 week ago and was roundly laughed at by everyone. Well now its a fact.Mangini is a crapshoot in my opinion. Hard to assess his leadership and administrative skills given that others have always been there to do those tasks.

I would be surprised if Bradway opts for Mangini. Bradway's job hinges on the NEAR TERM success of his next hire. To expect any first year head coach, much less one with so little coaching experience in aggregate is asking to much.

I think Fassel is a good choice. Mangina may not really know enough to "build" a team the way the Jets are going to do. Fassel has a lot more experience.

Jets Talking to Haslett, Tice, Vitt About Vacancy

New York Has Opening Now That Coach Edwards Is in Kansas City

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (Jan. 9) - Looking to replace Herman Edwards, the New York Jets are talking to Jim Haslett, Mike Tice and Joe Vitt, all of whom were head coaches in the NFL this season.

General manager Terry Bradway said Haslett, fired last week by New Orleans, spoke with Jets officials on Monday. He said the team also will talk to Tice, Minnesota's former coach, and Vitt, who went 4-7 as interim coach of the St. Louis Rams when Mike Martz left to have a heart ailment treated.

Bradway also said ex-Green Bay coach Mike Sherman might be in for a later interview but is not on his early list.

Edwards, hired by the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday, coached the Jets for five seasons. He had two years remaining on his contract but was allowed to leave for Kansas City, where he began his coaching career as an assistant. The Chiefs gave the Jets a fourth-round draft pick as compensation.

Bradway said he had expected a call from Carl Peterson, the Chiefs' president, asking for permission to talk to Edwards after **** Vermeil announced his retirement at age 69.

"In Herm's case, because of his relationship with Carl, the relationship that he has with a lot of people back there, it was an opportunity he wanted to look at," Bradway said. "I think Herm knew that we wanted him. There wasn't ever any conversation between anyone here that indicated otherwise."

Bradway had positive things to say about the three coaches he acknowledged considering.

He noted that Haslett, who had a winning record going into this season, is the only coach in the history of the Saints to win a playoff game and added that he thought he did a good job handling the travails of a team rendered homeless this season by Hurricane Katrina.

He referred several times to Tice, who grew up nearby on Long Island, as "a good coach," although he said geography would not necessarily be a factor in the hiring.

Of Vitt, he said: "Joe is a guy that's been in the league for 27 years. I thought he did a great job of coaching St. Louis last year; he finished 47, playing with the quarterback being hurt. And Joe deserves an opportunity to come in and talk."

01/09/06 18:26 EST

I don't understand what the obsession is for a guy with HCing experience.I'm pretty sure most of the SP here knows more about coaching the Mike Tice;)

I think Fassel is a good choice. Mangina may not really know enough to "build" a team the way the Jets are going to do. Fassel has a lot more experience.
Honest question...what did Fassel do in his tenure in New York to make you think he's the best candidate available? If I were the Jets I wouldn't want a retread like that. If you're going to bring in a retread, it's got to be someone with undeniable winning credentials. In seven years Fassel had:

3 winning seasons

1 .500 season
3 losing seasons
Never had consecutive winning seasons
Made the playoffs 3 of 7 years
Was 2-3 in the playoffs [his 2 wins both came in the SB year]The other point to consider is that Fassel is an offensive-minded coach...yet the Giants under his watch were good when the DEFENSE was good. I.e., when John Fox [who Fassel gets credit for hiring] was running the show, the Giants were good.

Offense [Points] -- 21st, 23rd, 20th, 15th, 21st, 22nd, 30th :X
Offense [Yards] -- 28th, 29th, 16th, 12th, 9th, 7th, 19th
Defense [Points] -- 4th, 9th, 23rd, 5th, 16th, 3rd, 29th
Defense [Yards] -- 20th, 20th, 11th, 5th, 16th, 3rd, 29th

Honest question...what did Fassel do in his tenure in New York to make you think he's the best candidate available? If I were the Jets I wouldn't want a retread like that. If you're going to bring in a retread, it's got to be someone with undeniable winning credentials. In seven years Fassel had:

3 winning seasons

1 .500 season
3 losing seasons
Was 2-3 in the playoffs [his 2 wins both came in the SB year]The other point to consider is that Fassel is an offensive-minded coach...yet the Giants under his watch were good when the DEFENSE was good. I.e., when John Fox [who Fassel gets credit for hiring] was running the show, the Giants were good.

Don't forget, Fassel led the Giants to a Super Bowl with Kerry collins as their Quarterback. Don't you think he has any thing to do with Tiki's success?

3 winning seasons

1 .500 season
3 losing seasons

Don't forget, Fassel led the Giants to a Super Bowl with Kerry collins as their Quarterback. Don't you think he has any thing to do with Tiki's success?
Revisionist history...the Giants defense was 5th in points and yards that Super Bowl year, the offense was middle of the pack. And in terms of Tiki?1) Fassel gave Charles Way and Tyrone Wheatley more carries than Tiki in 1997

2) Fassel gave Gary Brown and Charles Way more carries than Tiki in 1998

3) Fassel gave Joe Montgomery :X more carries than Tiki in 1999

4) Fassel gave Ron Dayne more carries than Tiki in 2000

5) Fassel gave Ron Dayne more carries than Tiki in 2001

It wasn't until Tiki's SIXTH YEAR [2002] that Fassel's brilliance actually realized Barber could be an every down back.

Meanwhile, Barber's two best seasons [both in terms of total productivity AND a lack of fumbling] have come under Tom Coughlin's watch.

Fassel = :kicksrock:

3 winning seasons

1 .500 season
3 losing seasons

Revisionist history...the Giants defense was 5th in points and yards that Super Bowl year, the offense was middle of the pack. And in terms of Tiki?1) Fassel gave Charles Way and Tyrone Wheatley more carries than Tiki in 1997

2) Fassel gave Gary Brown and Charles Way more carries than Tiki in 1998

3) Fassel gave Joe Montgomery :X more carries than Tiki in 1999

4) Fassel gave Ron Dayne more carries than Tiki in 2000

5) Fassel gave Ron Dayne more carries than Tiki in 2001

It wasn't until Tiki's SIXTH YEAR [2002] that Fassel's brilliance actually realized Barber could be an every down back.

Meanwhile, Barber's two best seasons [both in terms of total productivity AND a lack of fumbling] have come under Tom Coughlin's watch.

So who do you think the Jets new coach should be?

Fassel = :kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread