What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will win the NFL MVP? (1 Viewer)

Who will win the NFL MVP?

• Shaun Alexander

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tiki Barber

• Tom Brady

• Carson Palmer

• Peyton Manning

• Other

• Total voters

djcolts

Footballguy
I don't think anyone else has a chance, but I put an Other choice, anyway. I know of the 50 voters, two are from SI.com, and both voted for Brady.IMO, if Alexander doesn't win, then they might as well re-name the MVP award to "the QB the AP voters WANTED to vote for" award.Edit - the question is who WILL win, not who you think will win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manning wins it hands down.
I think he lost it in the last 3 weeks. Manning was ahead in a straw poll 3 weeks ago, but a lot has changed since then, and Brady has gained a ton of steam.

This one is easy.  Alexander.  Next!!
It should be easy, but the vote will be very close IMO - especially with knowing that Brady already has 2 of the 50 voters for certain.On another note - why does SI get 2 of the 50 votes? That doesn't seem fair to me. Shouldn't the votes come from 50 different publications?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiki Barber [ 4 ] [30.77%]
For those voting for Barber - have you read anyone saying who has an AP vote that they are going to vote for Barber? The question is who is going to win, not who you think should win.

Tiki deserves it more than SA IMO. Tiki's line is nowhere near as dominant as Alexander's yet he put up incredible numbers, singlehandedly carrying his team into the playoffs.I do think SA will win it though.

I can't believe anyone is seriously saying Manning's name here. The guy who got the rushing record and the guy who led the league in passing while leading his broken down team into the playoffs should be ahead of the guy who led his team to a 14-2 record and was seventh in the league in passing. Manning shouldn't even be in consideration here - he's had MVP years in the past, and he's gotten the award for them. This was not an MVP season.

Tiki deserves it more than SA IMO. Tiki's line is nowhere near as dominant as Alexander's yet he put up incredible numbers, singlehandedly carrying his team into the playoffs.

I do think SA will win it though.
Tiki has been incredible for the Giants this year (again) and in the last few weeks pulled it out to get them in the playoffs, but SA has just plain outdone him. yes he has a better line but he set TD records, won the rushing title (while sitting out plenty the last few weeks) and let the Seahawks rest starters as well as getting an extra week to heal. For a team with road woes and an inabilty to make it past the first round this is huge in a quest to bring the first SB appearance for his team. Tiki deserves to have his name in the mix, and I'd put him above Manning. But no way should Tiki win it over Alexander. And I'd rank Edge over Peyton in this race too.

Alexander was quite impressive this season...and deserves the MVP.I think some would like to see Tiki get it, but I don't think there is enough there to merit it. Manning had quite the season, but not compared to other seasons. Brady held his team together, but not at MVP level. Same goes for Palmer.The real standout is Alexander....MVP.

The question isn't who had the best stats, who broke records, or who is the best player, its the most valuable player. Peyton Manning is hands down the most valuable player for his team - the guy is a machine.

For Seattle, the offensive line is the most valuable "player" there, not SA. Stick any half decent RB behind that line and run the same offense, and that RB will put up similar stats to SA. Now replace Manning with an average QB and I guarantee that the Colts are barely a .500 team.

Again, Peyton Manning is hands down the NFL MVP and it will be a crime if he does not win it this year.

My MVP vote would go for Tiki and it wouldn't be close.There is no question in my mind that without Tiki, the Giants don't make the playoffs. In fact I'm pretty certain that without Tiki they go from winning the division to be fighting with Philly for last in the division.This guy does not get NEAR the credit he deserves for making that offense work. His year was amazing. He had one fumble all year long with a BAZILLION touches. He ran for a 5.2 average and 5.4 on first down. How much do you think AVERAGING well over half of the necessary yards to move the chains on 1st down helps the offense? How bout the fact that he produced nearly 2400 yards for his team?How bout the fact that when his team needed him the most in the game they needed to win the division, he put up 260 yards of offense.Now Alexander had a great year too. But I honestly believe Seattle makes the playoffs with or without him. With the TD record, he'd be my 2nd choice. But somewhat seriously, I think Walter Jones would be right there with him.Leave the LEAGUE MVP aside for the time being and think about this:What would hurt the Seahawks more, losing Walter Jones or losing Sean Alexander? That's a tough question. And since I'm not 100% convinced that Alexander is the most valuable player on his TEAM, it's a little harder to believe he's the most valuable player in the league.But as for who I think will win, I'd go with Alexander. Writers like records.

Barber is much more deserving than Alexander. His numbers were also outstanding despite playing in a tougher division and facing a much tougher schedule. Plus, his offensive line isn't as good as Alexander's. My top 3 would be:1. Manning - still the best player on the best team..take him away from the Colts and they would be lucky to win more than 6 games2. Barber3. Brady

I can't believe anyone is seriously saying Manning's name here. The guy who got the rushing record and the guy who led the league in passing while leading his broken down team into the playoffs should be ahead of the guy who led his team to a 14-2 record and was seventh in the league in passing. Manning shouldn't even be in consideration here - he's had MVP years in the past, and he's gotten the award for them. This was not an MVP season.
I still think you're being extremely homerish and only choosing to discuss stats that favor Brady rather than look at everything impartially. Brady is only the top QB in a single stat, and is as low as 6th in other major QB stats like passer rating. The team is also nowhere near as bad as you make them sound. The 2005 Patriots were a mediocre team early and a top team late. Since Bruschi returned the defense has shown signs of returning to their previous dominant form. Speaking of which, here's a few interesting stats... the Patriots are 7-2 with Bruschi in the lineup, and 3-4 without him. Thet Patriots have lost every game where an opponent scored more than the league average in points. Teams normally don't excel when other teams go over this mark, but most of the other playoff teams (particularly those with MVP candidates) have managed to come up with a few wins when the defense wasn't able to keep the opposing team to below average in points. But this does illustrate that it wasn't like the defense was horrid and Brady was the only thing that kept the team going which is the picture you keep painting.Does that mean Brady doesn't deserve MVP consideration? Of course not, but it's really not very accurate to portray the situation as a completely broken down team that only got to the playfofs because of Brady. When the defense was weak the team was at best a .500 club, and when they re-emerged is when the team made the playoffs. Brady deserves some credit for keeping them in contention during the worst of it, but you're way overstating his role this year.

I'd say Brady is even with Manning and Palmer, though if Manning had played the last 2 games he'd probably be ahead of the other two. Brady trails Manning in every significant QB stat other than passing yards. The gap in yards caused by Manning not playing 2 games is enough to draw Brady even, but if Manning had played it wouldn't have.

All that said no one is anywhere near Shaun Alexander.

Just because maybe this season wasn't as good as last year's MVP season does not mean that Manning's 2005 season wasn't an MVP-caliber one. Ask yourself this...Take away Manning from the Colts and what do you think their record would have been? Then do the same with Brady and the Patriots. I submit that the Colts would have won no more than 6 or maybe 7 games, a dropoff of 7-8 wins. The Patriots probably win about 4 or 5 games without Brady, a dropoff of 5-6 wins. In other words, both were extremely valuable, but the Colts probably would have had more of a dropoff w/o Manning than the Patriots would have had w/o Brady.

And leading the league in passing yards does not mean squat. TD-INT ratio, yards per attempt and completion percentage are far more significant stats when comparing one quarterback to another. Trent Green and Brett Favre finished 2nd and 3rd in passing yards, which just goes to show you that the best QB's do not always finish at the top of this category.

Tiki Barber should win it.Shaun Alexander had a great year but he needs to be thanking one person for his year and that is Darrell Jackson. If DJ does not get injured early in the season Alexander does not have the year he does. He would have had a good year but if Jackson was in the mix some of those TD's would not have been Alexanders. Either way, Tiki deserves it but Alexander will win it.

Very interesting to look back on this at this point. All of these guys had great regular seasons. Let's examine the candidates after their playoff performances so far.Barber - 69 total yards and 0 TDs as his team was blown out at home.Palmer - Knocked out of his first playoff game after one play.Brady - Great game in first round win over Jacksonville. Poor game in loss to Denver in the second round.Alexander - Knocked out of first playoff game early. Still alive, but team won reasonably easily without him.Manning - TBD, but still alive.Now, I personally have always felt that MVP awards should be given once postseason is complete. In all of the major sports, it is very rare that a player from a non-playoff team is strongly considered for the award, which simply underscores that an MVP is someone who usually strongly contributes to the chance for postseason success... why not actually include that postseason success or lack thereof? Why do we really need a regular season MVP and a playoff MVP? Postseason success is supposedly what it's all about, so how meaningful is an MVP award based only on regular season? (And for that matter, not even on all games of the regular season, based on when it is voted on.)It is clear to me that, of the 5 candidates who were well understood to be the true MVP candidates for the regular season, Manning is the one who will most likely have had the most valuable season to his team when the postseason is complete.That said, if my preferred method was used for this voting, there would still be other candidates alive: Roethlisberger, Steve Smith, Delhomme, Urlacher, Hasselbeck, Plummer, and maybe Alexander if he comes back strong in the NFCC and the Seahawks make the Super Bowl.

Very interesting to look back on this at this point. All of these guys had great regular seasons. Let's examine the candidates after their playoff performances so far.

Barber - 69 total yards and 0 TDs as his team was blown out at home.

Palmer - Knocked out of his first playoff game after one play.

Brady - Great game in first round win over Jacksonville. Poor game in loss to Denver in the second round.

Alexander - Knocked out of first playoff game early. Still alive, but team won reasonably easily without him.

Manning - TBD, but still alive.

Now, I personally have always felt that MVP awards should be given once postseason is complete. In all of the major sports, it is very rare that a player from a non-playoff team is strongly considered for the award, which simply underscores that an MVP is someone who usually strongly contributes to the chance for postseason success... why not actually include that postseason success or lack thereof? Why do we really need a regular season MVP and a playoff MVP? Postseason success is supposedly what it's all about, so how meaningful is an MVP award based only on regular season? (And for that matter, not even on all games of the regular season, based on when it is voted on.)

It is clear to me that, of the 5 candidates who were well understood to be the true MVP candidates for the regular season, Manning is the one who will most likely have had the most valuable season to his team when the postseason is complete.

That said, if my preferred method was used for this voting, there would still be other candidates alive: Roethlisberger, Steve Smith, Delhomme, Urlacher, Hasselbeck, Plummer, and maybe Alexander if he comes back strong in the NFCC and the Seahawks make the Super Bowl.
Plummer, wow you smoke some good stuff .He is a average QB at best.

The question isn't who had the best stats, who broke records, or who is the best player, its the most valuable player. Peyton Manning is hands down the most valuable player for his team - the guy is a machine.
The talk about the Colts ihas been that they needed to improve their defense to have a legit chance to contend for the Superbowl and not just rely on their offense, which last I checked is where Manning plays ;) . Sure enough, this year the defense improves and they are "the" team. So, with the difference being defense, how can you consider Manning as the most valuable player. :shrug:

The question isn't who had the best stats, who broke records, or who is the best player, its the most valuable player.  Peyton Manning is hands down the most valuable player for his team - the guy is a machine.
The talk about the Colts ihas been that they needed to improve their defense to have a legit chance to contend for the Superbowl and not just rely on their offense, which last I checked is where Manning plays ;) . Sure enough, this year the defense improves and they are "the" team. So, with the difference being defense, how can you consider Manning as the most valuable player. :shrug:
One method sometimes used is the "if you take this guy off his team, how many wins would they lose" method. Take any guy off the Colts defense, your choice, and how many fewer wins do they have? Now instead put Sorgi in for Manning all season, and how many fewer wins do they have? Obviously, Manning is far more valuable than any defensive player.

Very interesting to look back on this at this point.  All of these guys had great regular seasons.  Let's examine the candidates after their playoff performances so far.

Barber - 69 total yards and 0 TDs as his team was blown out at home.

Palmer - Knocked out of his first playoff game after one play.

Brady - Great game in first round win over Jacksonville.  Poor game in loss to Denver in the second round.

Alexander - Knocked out of first playoff game early.  Still alive, but team won reasonably easily without him.

Manning - TBD, but still alive.

Now, I personally have always felt that MVP awards should be given once postseason is complete.  In all of the major sports, it is very rare that a player from a non-playoff team is strongly considered for the award, which simply underscores that an MVP is someone who usually strongly contributes to the chance for postseason success... why not actually include that postseason success or lack thereof?  Why do we really need a regular season MVP and a playoff MVP?  Postseason success is supposedly what it's all about, so how meaningful is an MVP award based only on regular season?  (And for that matter, not even on all games of the regular season, based on when it is voted on.)

It is clear to me that, of the 5 candidates who were well understood to be the true MVP candidates for the regular season, Manning is the one who will most likely have had the most valuable season to his team when the postseason is complete.

That said, if my preferred method was used for this voting, there would still be other candidates alive:  Roethlisberger, Steve Smith, Delhomme, Urlacher, Hasselbeck, Plummer, and maybe Alexander if he comes back strong in the NFCC and the Seahawks make the Super Bowl.
Plummer, wow you smoke some good stuff .He is a average QB at best.
Well, who would be a candidate from Denver if they were to go on from here to win the Super Bowl? No one?

Users who are viewing this thread