What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whole house water filtration system (1 Viewer)

Big League Chew

Footballguy
Any brands to recommend ?

my local water is rich in minerals so I’m trying to prevent it from damaging appliances and improving our drinking water

Slider said:
Put a cheap whole house filter on and change it every 4 months.

The $3500 system is a joke.
We are about to build in a rural area where these systems are recommended and was leaning towards the $3k system.....any insight on the research you did to get comfortable with cheaper ones? These are a new animal to me. 

With the Amazon one he posted you change it once a year for $150. With the big 3M filter you can get at Home Depot/Lowe's you change 4 times a year for $25 each. 3 times if sediment is low.

With the Amazon one he posted you change it once a year for $150. With the big 3M filter you can get at Home Depot/Lowe's you change 4 times a year for $25 each. 3 times if sediment is low.
Thanks for this info....are there mid grade options as well and how do you compensate for size of house?

Wonder what the selling points are for these expensive ones are that 10 times plus more than the Amazon option. 

Slider said:
Put a cheap whole house filter on and change it every 4 months.

The $3500 system is a joke.
Can you elaborate in detail here?

I have a distant friend who sells the big systems that seem awfully expensive. Would like to hear lots more about this. 

I have a 780' deep well. I tested my well water (twice) and it came back great except for too much sediment. I put the whole house 3M AP810 in and it worked great but I had to change it 4 times a year. They were $12 a piece but are now $25. So I bought the Amazon one and it lasted 10 months but the pressure drops more often. I'll probably go back to the other. 

My neighbor has the mega system he put in for $4400. It does the exact same thing except it also softens the water. Very expensive water softener. And we don't have a need for one.

If you have city water you might need an expensive system. They dump a huge amount of needless chemicals in your water.

The best thing to do is nothing until you test your water. I test mine with a test kit and a lab each year (to keep the lab honest). Most system sellers operate on fear tactics. The Culligan man will scare the heck out of you. 

I have a 780' deep well. I tested my well water (twice) and it came back great except for too much sediment. I put the whole house 3M AP810 in and it worked great but I had to change it 4 times a year. They were $12 a piece but are now $25. So I bought the Amazon one and it lasted 10 months but the pressure drops more often. I'll probably go back to the other. 

My neighbor has the mega system he put in for $4400. It does the exact same thing except it also softens the water. Very expensive water softener. And we don't have a need for one.

If you have city water you might need an expensive system. They dump a huge amount of needless chemicals in your water.

The best thing to do is nothing until you test your water. I test mine with a test kit and a lab each year (to keep the lab honest). Most system sellers operate on fear tactics. The Culligan man will scare the heck out of you. 
This is what I hear is the issue in this area is “hard water”. So in this scenario the cheaper option is probably out?

Agree with you on everything but this.  They generally use the chemicals needed to keep the water disinfected and not aggressive or scale forming in the distribution system. The bigger fear is when they don't...then we get scenarios like Flint or the parts of LA that keep having occurrences of brain-eating amoeba.

Users who are viewing this thread