What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who's Next? The search for the next great WRs. (1 Viewer)

To add to the growing list:

Kenny Golladay - He's been mentioned already but I'm not sold he has the "I will be the best WR ever" mentality for him to really unlock his potential.  He has a chance, and he comes down with incredible catches a lot so I won't rule him out.  I really like him, bought him for a couple rosters, but can he consistently be considered great?  We will have to wait and see.  But he has a chance.  

Chris Godwin - I think he has that mentality, but he's stuck behind Evans for the future and I doubt he gets a real chance to be a true #1 in the next 3 years.  Might be wondering what if for his entire career.

Corey Davis - Another "what if".  Except we've already seen what the talent is and how horrible the situation is.  I don't doubt @FF Ninja analogy of if he were in Pittsburgh he would be a top tiered WR.  But there's about 4 games of 2019 for me to say the book has been written about him and it's purely situation that will keep him out of it. 

Other than those 3 I don't see any WR currently in the league becoming "elite", and even 2 of them are stuck in bad situations for a little while.  JuJu, Nuk, OBJ, they're already there. 

There is 1 more guy I think has a chance but it's a crazy longshot and I'll keep that hidden as my favorite flier to get in trades.  You could probably figure it out if you look at my 2018 rookie rankings somewhere on this board.  

Kevin White and Anthony Miller both have the pedigree but not the production. Are they not getting the opportunity or not doing much? Do any homers have insight? They are off most people’s radar.

Kevin White and Anthony Miller both have the pedigree but not the production. Are they not getting the opportunity or not doing much? Do any homers have insight? They are off most people’s radar.
Miller might end up being something, but I'll put his chances at reaching "elite" tier at .01%.  White even less than that at this point.  

I am buying Lockett, Cooks, Pettis as guys with the potential to be the next big thing at reasonable prices compared to what they've done.

Selling Sutton/Golladay at their prices.  The whole Detroit offense fell apart when they had to start relying on Golladay as the lead option.  Sutton had a chance gifted to him and failed to separate from some very uninspiring competition on his own team and had poor efficiency even when he was drawing #3 coverage.

Size bias still reigns supreme in fantasy football.  Buy all the little guys for cheap when they're on the cusp of breaking out.  Sell the big guys with poor efficiency that are being valued at 4x as much.

Unfair to compare a rookie with White, who has had much more opportunity.  Miller had plenty of productivity for a rookie, especially one who missed time to injury.  Wasn't it a dislocated shoulder that wouldn't require surgery?  That has to have you well below 100%.

While White is off the radar, I'm sure the same isn't true of MIller.   Chicago does have a lot of weapons and you could argue that Miller was the 5th or 6th option when you factor in both RBs.

I'm going to give MIller better odds to reach "elite" status than Zyphros' 1/10,000 but agree that we know what White is already.

I am buying Lockett, Cooks, Pettis as guys with the potential to be the next big thing at reasonable prices compared to what they've done.

Selling Sutton/Golladay at their prices.  The whole Detroit offense fell apart when they had to start relying on Golladay as the lead option.  Sutton had a chance gifted to him and failed to separate from some very uninspiring competition on his own team and had poor efficiency even when he was drawing #3 coverage.

Size bias still reigns supreme in fantasy football.  Buy all the little guys for cheap when they're on the cusp of breaking out.  Sell the big guys with poor efficiency that are being valued at 4x as much.
Any credence to the rookie wall?  Were either Sutton or Golladay ready to be lead options?   I wouldn't jump to a conclusion just yet but wholeheartedly agree with the size bias point.

There is also the "between the ears" factor which is difficult to assess, guys who have the drive and work ethic to stay great and compile a significant career. Injuries shorten a lot of careers but some players just seem to lose the stomach for it, get paid, etc. Who's the next Larry Fitzgerald between the ears? As a fan, I tend to assume all these guys want to play until they can't but I'm not sure that's true...

There is also the "between the ears" factor which is difficult to assess, guys who have the drive and work ethic to stay great and compile a significant career. Injuries shorten a lot of careers but some players just seem to lose the stomach for it, get paid, etc. Who's the next Larry Fitzgerald between the ears? As a fan, I tend to assume all these guys want to play until they can't but I'm not sure that's true...
Great point...  I wish I had paid closer attention to Juju's draft profile.  I had him pegged as a possession type guy and missed him in my main league.  Ironically, missed out on Le'veon Bell years ago because he was characterized as overweight.

"Outstanding size and a very available target. Shows no concern working over the middle. Known for his competitive spirit and alpha demeanor... He has a mom and stepdad who keep him grounded. His passion and enthusiasm are second to none and he absolutely loves football."

Last edited by a moderator:
Any credence to the rookie wall?  Were either Sutton or Golladay ready to be lead options?   I wouldn't jump to a conclusion just yet but wholeheartedly agree with the size bias point.

Sutton’s problem was his QB.  The guy won’t throw downfield, isn’t skilled enough to properly place balls into coverage, and is adverse to the risk of throwing 50/50 balls.  That pretty much negates all of Sutton’s strengths.

wholeheartedly agree with the size bias point.
In 2013 the only WR under 6'3" in top 10 fantasy producers was AB.  That really led me down a path of feeling like I should focus on size but the rule changes have had a big impact for the smaller WR's IMO.  Now elite fantasy producing WR's are coming in all shapes and sizes, not a priority for me any longer.

Mike Williams of the Chargers has all the tools.

The Chiefs game after Keenan Allen went out foreshadowed his potential as a true WR1...if given the opportunity.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
The Sutton situation reminds me a little bit of the Derrick Henry debacle.

Situation is the elephant in the room. I’m buying Sutton all day long at reasonable prices (which should be the case now).

He’s got FF WR1 written all over him.

I have Pettis and Sutton in one Dynasty league and Pettis in another.  Pettis has looked the part but played under half his teams snaps.  Ridley, Moore and Callaway were the top rookies in season production. Someone will likely emerge next season and become the top guy of the class.  Ridley did have 10 touchdowns. Only 3 had 10+ 20 yard receptions led by Sutton with 16. Ridley had 11 and Gallup had 10. He should become Dallas #1 but I don't trust Prescott can make him a fantasy number one. Maybe not even a number 2.

Mike Williams of the Chargers has all the tools.
He does but the current staff worries me on being able to incorporate him consistently. He's looked far to good most of this year to need Allen to get hurt to make that much of an impact. This is same staff that took about half the season last year to figure out that Hunter Henry needed to be used more consistently.  Speaking of which that's another mouth to feed for a staff that has not shown ability to effectively incorporate all  of their weapons with any kind of consistency. They seem kind of stuck on Allen/Gordon and everyone else has sporadic usage, don't feel like Whiz makes good enough use of all he has at his disposal.

So did Ross. I wouldn't read too much into TDs. They're very volatile. 
I get that. The whole damn sport/hobby is all over the place. Seven is a milestone number that separates you from average. At least for me. If someone does it with few opportunities all the better, but 7 is significant. It’s also not too many if you know what I mean. I’ll bet both players had their chances at a better season statistically. These are the folks to keep an eye on.

I get that. The whole damn sport/hobby is all over the place. Seven is a milestone number that separates you from average. At least for me. If someone does it with few opportunities all the better, but 7 is significant. It’s also not too many if you know what I mean. I’ll bet both players had their chances at a better season statistically. These are the folks to keep an eye on.
Calvin Johnson had only 5 with almost 2000 yards. Kelvin Benjamin had 7 or more TDs both of his first two years. I don't recommend using any number of TDs as something that tells you to keep an eye on someone. There are better metrics out there.

The problem with Miller is that Robinson is a more talented player than him and Trubisky just isn't that good of a QB. Unless Robinson gets hurt (he had lingering injuries all year long, so that's a real possibility) or Trubisky takes a huge step forward (doubtful), Miller will be nothing more than a WR4/flex play for his whole rookie contract. 

Calvin Johnson had only 5 with almost 2000 yards. Kelvin Benjamin had 7 or more TDs both of his first two years. I don't recommend using any number of TDs as something that tells you to keep an eye on someone. There are better metrics out there.

The problem with Miller is that Robinson is a more talented player than him and Trubisky just isn't that good of a QB. Unless Robinson gets hurt (he had lingering injuries all year long, so that's a real possibility) or Trubisky takes a huge step forward (doubtful), Miller will be nothing more than a WR4/flex play for his whole rookie contract. 
Thanks for the Miller take, and TD’s are less of a percentage of fantasy scoring than ever before so point taken. 

Mike Williams is the next stud.  Tyrell Williams is UFA and he should get an offer they won't match and Mike is more athletically gifted than Keenan Allen.  Rivers puts a huge emphasis on trust so it's not a shock he's been slow to break out but it's coming.

Mike Williams sure did look delicious late in the year. I agree his future is very bright and there is no doubting the Clemson pedigree for WRs 

Mike Williams is the next stud.  Tyrell Williams is UFA and he should get an offer they won't match and Mike is more athletically gifted than Keenan Allen.  Rivers puts a huge emphasis on trust so it's not a shock he's been slow to break out but it's coming.
1) Combine numbers have no correlation to WR performance
2) Mike's numbers are nothing to brag about
3) Keenan is going to be there for at least 2 more years... that's a long time to wait considering his owners have already been holding for 2 years.

1) Combine numbers have no correlation to WR performance
2) Mike's numbers are nothing to brag about
3) Keenan is going to be there for at least 2 more years... that's a long time to wait considering his owners have already been holding for 2 years.
1) Calvin Johnson. 

More often than not, good athletes make good WRs. Same can be said of all positions, outside of quarterback. To dismiss combine metrics like height, speed and strength is silly. 
One example of a great athlete being a great receiver does not make your point. I hope you understand that's not how statistics work which is exactly why I didn't reply back with "Antonio Brown."

As for your point, it's just flat out wrong. Multiple sites have done the math and found no correlation between popular combine tests and NFL performance. It certainly does not have a negative correlation, but it does not have a positive correlation, either. The conclusion seems to be that a certain baseline athleticism is required to play WR, but things that can't be measured with a tape measure or stop watch (such as route running, ball tracking, and good hands) are vastly more important.

I actually think Miller is more talented myself. He got different coverage looks no doubt but he was better then Robinson on a per target and per catch basis.  And while true Robinson has been nicked a lot this season I  don't think people are properly taking into consideration when assessing Miller's play that he's been playing most of the season with a shoulder harness and is likely headed for quick off-season surgery.  Consistency and high upside usage are issues, but I'll truly be shocked if he's ever as low as a WR4 for the rest of his rookie contract.

I actually think Miller is more talented myself. He got different coverage looks no doubt but he was better then Robinson on a per target and per catch basis.  And while true Robinson has been nicked a lot this season I  don't think people are properly taking into consideration when assessing Miller's play that he's been playing most of the season with a shoulder harness and is likely headed for quick off-season surgery.  Consistency and high upside usage are issues, but I'll truly be shocked if he's ever as low as a WR4 for the rest of his rookie contract.
I know WRs have to catch the ball, but a shoulder injury is typically much less debilitating than the leg injuries AR has been dealing with. Also, Miller being better on a per target basis means pretty much nothing. Like you said, he was getting different coverage. One guy is the uncontested WR1 for the team and the other guy is playing third fiddle behind AR and Gabriel in snaps. According to playerprofiler, AR had 24 contested catches vs. 9 for Miller. AR had a 2.1% drop rate compared to 5.6% for Miller. 

A good comp for you would be Chris Godwin. He finished the season as WR35 on a ppg basis after getting 95 targets in 16 games and putting up 59/842/7 (11.6 ppr ppg). I just don't see Miller eclipsing that with Trubisky and Robinson around.

Disclaimer: I own zero shares of Robinson, so I really have no dog in this fight. I just don't see it happening for Miller in the next 2-3 years. 

I know WRs have to catch the ball, but a shoulder injury is typically much less debilitating than the leg injuries AR has been dealing with. Also, Miller being better on a per target basis means pretty much nothing. Like you said, he was getting different coverage. One guy is the uncontested WR1 for the team and the other guy is playing third fiddle behind AR and Gabriel in snaps. According to playerprofiler, AR had 24 contested catches vs. 9 for Miller. AR had a 2.1% drop rate compared to 5.6% for Miller. 

A good comp for you would be Chris Godwin. He finished the season as WR35 on a ppg basis after getting 95 targets in 16 games and putting up 59/842/7 (11.6 ppr ppg). I just don't see Miller eclipsing that with Trubisky and Robinson around.

Disclaimer: I own zero shares of Robinson, so I really have no dog in this fight. I just don't see it happening for Miller in the next 2-3 years. 
I have little to no dog in this fight either as I don't own Robinson and barely invested in Miller.

Robinson got more attention but let's not act like he is treated like Julio or AB and again I strongly dispute your contention he is the uncontested WR1 on this team.

Disagree even more strongly that a shoulder injury is less debilitating.

I think Miller is better, a lot of Bears beat writers said he looked like best player on the TEAM in training camp, and to both my eye test and stats he was better.

Robinson to me is one of the most overrated players in the entire NFL.  He's had one good season that was super inefficient and filled with junk time production. 

I have little to no dog in this fight either as I don't own Robinson and barely invested in Miller.

Robinson got more attention but let's not act like he is treated like Julio or AB and again I strongly dispute your contention he is the uncontested WR1 on this team.

Disagree even more strongly that a shoulder injury is less debilitating.

I think Miller is better, a lot of Bears beat writers said he looked like best player on the TEAM in training camp, and to both my eye test and stats he was better.

Robinson to me is one of the most overrated players in the entire NFL.  He's had one good season that was super inefficient and filled with junk time production. 
I'm kind of being painted as a Robinson apologist, which I'm not. I just think you guys are getting "shiny new toy" syndrome with Miller, who is only 1 year younger than Robinson. I put little to no faith in beat writer puff pieces, but the fact remains he was the WR3 for the Bears this season, primarily playing the slot in 3WR sets. I just have a hard time getting excited about old rookie slot receivers. 

I don't see how you could rationally disagree about a shoulder injury being less debilitating than a leg injury. That's just wacky. Players often play through shoulder injuries as it is mostly just a pain tolerance thing, but when a leg injury robs a guy of his speed and/or explosiveness that's debilitating. 

Either way, I guess time will tell. But my official prediction is that AR will continue to lead a mediocre at best passing attack in Chicago with Miller picking up the scraps IF he can beat out Gabriel to be the WR2.

My concern with picking a Bears WR as the next great WR is that offense is run by Trubiski and the team is a running team that relies on defense.. Generally you need a very good passing offense to get an elite WR and the Bears aren't built that way. I would rather look to a passing team with a QB that will be around for a while. That means teams like New Orleans and Pittsburgh also are questionable due to the ages of Brees and Big Ben. Ryan is a little younger so Ridley could be interesting but he does have to share with Jones too. The Eagles and Rams seem to have nice young QB but I'm not sure that WR is on their teams? Hill could continue to dominate with Mahomes. Hopkins can still put up big numbers with Watson too.

I don't see how you could rationally disagree about a shoulder injury being less debilitating than a leg injury. That's just wacky. Players often play through shoulder injuries as it is mostly just a pain tolerance thing, but when a leg injury robs a guy of his speed and/or explosiveness that's debilitating. 
Wacky and unrational?  Come one with that stuff, shoulder injuries for a WR are a major deal and not all leg injuries are created equal and truth is neither of us know extent of what any of those players dealt with physically but unlike you I just say I disagree with your opinion.

Either way you are trying to have your cake and eat it to.  You are both arguing that Robinson was the defacto #1 attention of the defense but debilitated by a leg injury. It's not both unless you think teams don't watch tape.

Wacky and unrational?  Come one with that stuff, shoulder injuries for a WR are a major deal and not all leg injuries are created equal and truth is neither of us know extent of what any of those players dealt with physically but unlike you I just say I disagree with your opinion.

Either way you are trying to have your cake and eat it to.  You are both arguing that Robinson was the defacto #1 attention of the defense but debilitated by a leg injury. It's not both unless you think teams don't watch tape.
Well, he got 94 targets in 13 games vs. 54 targets in 15 games, so you tell me who was the WR1 on the team. The defense is going to shade towards whoever is getting targeted. 

Again, shoulder injuries usually come down to pain tolerance. I would much rather my player have a shoulder injury than pull a hammy. In this case, I honestly didn't even know what injury AR had, as I owned him in zero leagues, but it turns out he was dealing with a groin injury most of the year and then hip and rib injuries.

Again, shoulder injuries usually come down to pain tolerance.
Dr. Chao on Miller injury

Key highlight from article above, not my comments:

A defensive back could play with a harness or brace, but it is difficult for a wide receiver to do so, as it limits motion and catch radius.

Miller could put off surgery and attempt to finish the season with a brace and/or after rehab. He would in that case be limited and risk re-dislocation.

In my experience, is it unusual for a wide receiver to be able to finish a season with this type of issue, though as always, I hope Miller can prove me wrong.

Dr. Chao on Miller injury

Key highlight from article above, not my comments:

A defensive back could play with a harness or brace, but it is difficult for a wide receiver to do so, as it limits motion and catch radius.

Miller could put off surgery and attempt to finish the season with a brace and/or after rehab. He would in that case be limited and risk re-dislocation.

In my experience, is it unusual for a wide receiver to be able to finish a season with this type of issue, though as always, I hope Miller can prove me wrong.
So the disgraced former Charger's team doctor speculated on the injury... ok? The guy doesn't know the severity of the injury, as can be told by this language "There is a high correlation with labral tears (rim of the socket) happening with shoulder dislocation. When this occurs, it does not heal without surgery, and the shoulder is more likely to pop out until it is fixed."

So the disgraced former Charger's team doctor speculated on the injury... ok? The guy doesn't know the severity of the injury, as can be told by this language "There is a high correlation with labral tears (rim of the socket) happening with shoulder dislocation. When this occurs, it does not heal without surgery, and the shoulder is more likely to pop out until it is fixed."
I got no issue admitting I am wrong and one thing I recently got wrong was  removing you from my "ignore" list  and actually trying to have a dialogue with you.  Your penchant for never letting anything go and just arguing till the bitter end no matter what is presented to you is truly unrivaled here.  It's not only tiring but usually chalked full of one sided argument winning type stats and bad takes where you keep trying to defend whatever mountain you chose to die on.  Like this take above. Good luck with that.  So do your thing and get your last words in but when you do I think you should ask yourself the old question about if the tree falls in the woods and no one hears it did it really make a sound.

I got no issue admitting I am wrong and one thing I recently got wrong was  removing you from my "ignore" list  and actually trying to have a dialogue with you.  Your penchant for never letting anything go and just arguing till the bitter end no matter what is presented to you is truly unrivaled here.  It's not only tiring but usually chalked full of one sided argument winning type stats and bad takes where you keep trying to defend whatever mountain you chose to die on.  Like this take above. Good luck with that.  So do your thing and get your last words in but when you do I think you should ask yourself the old question about if the tree falls in the woods and no one hears it did it really make a sound.
Says the guy contributing nothing but getting in the last word? This whole reply has a grand total of zero relevant information and it basically a ***** fest about me not letting you have the last word.

My comment you replied to (and got all bent out of shape about) was just pointing out that what you linked was not pertinent data specifically about his actual injury, but merely speculation from someone not directly involved (in this case a disgraced former team doctor). As I've continually pointed out, I've got nothing invested in either player, so I'd love to let it go, but you keep nipping back with ever more trivial points. You aren't the only one feeling like this is tiring.

I guess time will tell who has the bad take here. Feel free to bump it if Miller overtakes Robinson, but I've got a feeling that's your mountain to die on.

A person can still play with a shoulder injury but it will seriously limit the type of catches that one can make.  It really comes down more to range of motion than it does pain tolerance.  Hard to high point a 50-50 ball if you can't raise your arms above shoulder level.  Obviously with both types it comes down to the severity of the injury. 

Warhogs said:
My concern with picking a Bears WR as the next great WR is that offense is run by Trubiski and the team is a running team that relies on defense.. Generally you need a very good passing offense to get an elite WR and the Bears aren't built that way. I would rather look to a passing team with a QB that will be around for a while. That means teams like New Orleans and Pittsburgh also are questionable due to the ages of Brees and Big Ben. Ryan is a little younger so Ridley could be interesting but he does have to share with Jones too. The Eagles and Rams seem to have nice young QB but I'm not sure that WR is on their teams? Hill could continue to dominate with Mahomes. Hopkins can still put up big numbers with Watson too.
Exactly, that was one of a few points meno conveniently decided to ignore. Some will say, well Calvin thrived with Stafford, but while Stafford had a down 2018, he was much better than Trubisky prior to this season. It's going to be difficult for Miller to unseat Robinson, but hasn't even pass Gabriel yet... and then he's got to worry about his QB play. Seems like some very long odds for him to be the next great WR.

As for Ridley, Julio will probably continue to be one of the current greats for at least 2-3 more years. I really think if we're looking at the 2018 rookies, the answer will be DJ Moore or Pettis. Steve Smith put up almost 1400 yards with Newton, but it remains to be seen if Jimmy can support a WR1, but I think he can, especially in the Shanahan system. There are rumors about SF trading for OBJ, but due to cap rules regarding trades (accelerating signing bonus to the year of the trade), that does not seem feasible for the Giants who are already pressed on cap space.

But if people are patiently waiting 2-3 years for Ridley and Mike Williams, then Corey Davis should enter the conversation. By that time his sentence (contract) in Tennessee will be up.

A person can still play with a shoulder injury but it will seriously limit the type of catches that one can make.  It really comes down more to range of motion than it does pain tolerance.  Hard to high point a 50-50 ball if you can't raise your arms above shoulder level.  Obviously with both types it comes down to the severity of the injury. 
This is important, but my point was that Dr. Chao was speculating on a tear to the labrum... something which many players have played through for an entire season and even beyond. The only reason I'm opinionated on it is because I recall having some Sidney Rice shares back in the day and reading that the guy tore his labrum before the season and played through it all year... only to discover his other shoulder had a severely torn labrum, probably since college. I'll see if I can find an article on it... https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/sidney-rice-quickly-bouncing-back-from-shoulder-surgeries/ http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82729583/article/seahawks-exec-rice-has-battled-shoulder-issues-since-college

Bottom line, a groin injury is going to affect a WR on every play, whereas you only high point a ball occasionally. And we don't know he actually has a torn labrum or how severe it is (it's entirely possible he can raise his arm above shoulder level).

-----------------------------------------------------

One more dark horse candidate - Robby Anderson. I don't like his odds, but he's flashed, as recently as weeks 14-16. *If* Darnold has a year 2 jump and *if* Robby remains his top WR (they just extended Enunwa), then he could take the next step.

If I could figure out which of Cooks/Woods/Kupp would wind up the most valuable over the course of their career they would be my #1 on the list of undervalued WRs.  So...how do we do that

Last edited by a moderator:
Why this thread has a full page of Miller vs Robinson is mind boggling.

The Bears ranked 21st in the NFL in passing yardage per game, and their leading receiver was a RB.  No Bear player is a candidate for next great WR.

Why this thread has a full page of Miller vs Robinson is mind boggling.

The Bears ranked 21st in the NFL in passing yardage per game, and their leading receiver was a RB.  No Bear player is a candidate for next great WR.
I agree. Some people think their WR3 is somehow going to be the next great WR. I was wasting my breath as one guy ignored the main points (such as the one you stated) and argued tertiary points.

Who is your guess?

I agree. Some people think their WR3 is somehow going to be the next great WR. I was wasting my breath as one guy ignored the main points (such as the one you stated) and argued tertiary points.

Who is your guess?
JuJu has to be near the top of the list, especially if AB is gone next year and all of his targets are up for grabs.

I like the Kupp pick also as a guy you can get a little later in redrafts, but having a lot of mouths to feed has to be a concern with the Rams' WRs.  Next great WR is a stretch but he could be great value and a borderline WR1 like Woods was.

JuJu has to be near the top of the list, especially if AB is gone next year and all of his targets are up for grabs.

I like the Kupp pick also as a guy you can get a little later in redrafts, but having a lot of mouths to feed has to be a concern with the Rams' WRs.  Next great WR is a stretch but he could be great value and a borderline WR1 like Woods was.
Kupp was averaging just over 20 pts/game through his 7 full games, which would put him at around WR10. Of the three he may be the cheapest coming off an injury and outscored the others 6-3-3 in TDs in the games they played together (although Cooks missed one of those games). Perhaps not the next great WR but I can see him in the 8-15 range for the next 3-4 years as he grows with Goff/McVay.

Kevin White? I did a spit take on my cold brew. He’s one of the biggest busts in nfl history.

Users who are viewing this thread