What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Did the 'Start 1QB/2RB' Model Become the 'Standard&#39 (1 Viewer)

cobalt_27

Footballguy
Curious if there are any fantasy historians here who can explain this. I suspect it arises from early attempts in the 1980s to model a traditional real-life offensive formation. Any other reasons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our 14 team league uses multiple lineup options ... basically you have 5 Flex spots but if you start 2 or 3 rbs you must start a TE

0 rb 5 wr/te

1 rb 4 wr/te

2 rb 2 wr 1 te

3 rb 1 wr 1 te

Our 14 team league uses multiple lineup options ... basically you have 5 Flex spots but if you start 2 or 3 rbs you must start a TE

0 rb 5 wr/te

1 rb 4 wr/te

2 rb 2 wr 1 te

3 rb 1 wr 1 te
Can you say a little bit about why/how this came to be? Was it to reflect more diversity in lineup formations used in the NFL? In essence, was it to create a cosmetic similarity to real life?

0 rb 5 wr/te

1 rb 4 wr/te

2 rb 2 wr 1 te

3 rb 1 wr 1 te
Can you say a little bit about why/how this came to be? Was it to reflect more diversity in lineup formations used in the NFL? In essence, was it to create a cosmetic similarity to real life?
We are in the 20th year of our league ...has been up to 16 teams for a couple years ....we have always used this roster format to parallel the variety of offenses used n the NFL ..

Another thread cobalt? Your other one didnt go so well?
:lol: about once a year (usually around this time) he try's to convince everyone 2QB scoring systems are where its at. Every year the multiple threads are met with the same result.

Most would not play 2QB systems. Those that do are in the minority.

:deadhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect it arises from early attempts in the 1980s to model a traditional real-life offensive formation. Any other reasons?
The NFL was very different back then.

Nearly every team had a "lead back" and they had one back that got most of the carries and another that either got goal line work or was the third down back to compliment the feature back. There are several #3 backs around the league that I have been drafting and think represent value this year. I never would have done that back in the day. Maybe it's because the players/teams were more short cited w/regard to careers and they would just use injections to get the starter on the field at any cost or maybe we're just in the age of specialization.

Plus, at QB there just weren't enough high scorers to go around back then. For example, this year the ~#25 QB is Carson Palmer. He wouldn't even be projected as a starter in a 12 team/2 QB league. The guy is coming off a 4,000 yard season and has just upgraded his receiving corp radically this season! I don't remember there ever being a situation like that in the old days. He would be a top 12 starter no doubt.

It was an affirmative action program. Back in the days, almost all the QB's were white. Almost all of the RB's were African American. On the other hand, the league was more than half African American. Therefore, to more closely mirror the lineup of the league, it was decided to start 2 RB's and 1 QB.

Another thread cobalt? Your other one didnt go so well?
Hi lexdizzle, thanks for posting. To answer your question, both treads are going quite well. I think we have established that "standard" leagues arose out of an interest in creating a cosmetic similarity to real life football and that the marginalization of the QB position was/is the unintended consequence of such a setup. Much like TD-only leagues that were the "standard" in the law-80s and early-90s, I suspect the sport will continue to evolve. The growth of start 2 QB leagues (or start 1 RB leagues) and participation will only continue as more and more people recognize the silliness of the current dominant model.

Have a great weekend. :thumbup:

Curious if there are any fantasy historians here who can explain this. I suspect it arises from early attempts in the 1980s to model a traditional real-life offensive formation. Any other reasons?
I doubt there was ever anything more than modeling an offensive formation. Historically, there were real FB/RB combinations and time shares (Csonka, Morris, Kiick).

Two QBs just doesn't mimic this...

Much like TD-only leagues that were the "standard" in the law-80s and early-90s, I suspect the sport will continue to evolve.
Or devolve.

I think so many garbage stats have been added to the hobby for no other reason than the fact they are easier to predict that it's watered down the hobby. Part of the fun of the TD leagues was watching on Monday night and celebrating that huge play that just happened. The yard threshold, dumb 7 yard receptions on 3rd-15 downs, and tabulations of "assists" on defense make FF worse imo.

I think the distance scoring method was the height of the hobby, at least in terms of my enjoyment. In fact I wish I could find a league that only scored big plays. TD's, FG's, Sacks, INT's, Fumble Recoveries... these are all huge momentum changing plays in the NFL and unfortunately in FF they all too often are offset by anything ranging from 2 catches/15 yards or 3 catches/25 yards which are often close to meaningless over the course of an NFL game.

Back in those days we were getting stats out of the monday morning paper so simpler scoring made good sense. Now that we CAN use every ridiculous stat with no effort I'm afraid people are confusing that with the idea we SHOULD use every ridiculous stat available to us. I do like "stuffs" on defense however, so it's not all bad.

Oh, and you kids get off my yard!

Much like TD-only leagues that were the "standard" in the law-80s and early-90s, I suspect the sport will continue to evolve.
Or devolve.

I think so many garbage stats have been added to the hobby for no other reason than the fact they are easier to predict that it's watered down the hobby. Part of the fun of the TD leagues was watching on Monday night and celebrating that huge play that just happened. The yard threshold, dumb 7 yard receptions on 3rd-15 downs, and tabulations of "assists" on defense make FF worse imo.

I think the distance scoring method was the height of the hobby, at least in terms of my enjoyment. In fact I wish I could find a league that only scored big plays. TD's, FG's, Sacks, INT's, Fumble Recoveries... these are all huge momentum changing plays in the NFL and unfortunately in FF they all too often are offset by anything ranging from 2 catches/15 yards or 3 catches/25 yards which are often close to meaningless over the course of an NFL game.

Back in those days we were getting stats out of the monday morning paper so simpler scoring made good sense. Now that we CAN use every ridiculous stat with no effort I'm afraid people are confusing that with the idea we SHOULD use every ridiculous stat available to us. I do like "stuffs" on defense however, so it's not all bad.

Oh, and you kids get off my yard!
Devolve is right, BoltBacker. We started our league TDs=6 pts & 100 yds=6 pts and are slowly moving towards the standard 1pt/10 yds. Boring. A TD was a big deal before. If you ever get a classic league going, I'm in!

Problem with the td only leagues is many were over before they started when the guy with the first pick took the league leader in scoring. See Smith, Emmitt. If you think you are playing catch up with the 12th pick in a ppr league with serpentine drafting, try a td only league with normal drafting order, where the guy with the first pick gets the first pick every round. Then you can understand where ppr came from.

Problem with the td only leagues is many were over before they started when the guy with the first pick took the league leader in scoring. See Smith, Emmitt. If you think you are playing catch up with the 12th pick in a ppr league with serpentine drafting, try a td only league with normal drafting order, where the guy with the first pick gets the first pick every round. Then you can understand where ppr came from.
That's why I think distance scoring was the best mix of the two. That way you have guys like Alfred Morris who will go early, but WR's typically score longer TD's so their scores are actually worth more. And most importantly you celebrate the big play that changed the course of the game either way.

Exactly. Better outlets for "playing" games that rely on luck and happenstance, like slots or the lottery.

Users who are viewing this thread