What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do people assume Lattimore takes the SF RB job over Hunter? (1 Viewer)

So as someone that can't understand much of what goes on over on the West Coast, I'm trying to figure out why everyone has Marcus Lattimore assuming the feature back role when Gore moves on?

What has Kendall Hunter's 4.6 ypc career average done to make folks believe he is going to be a "change of pace" RB?

Is it just because of Lattimore's pedigree?

Why do people assume Gore is even done?
Good point. As a Gore owner, I think he's "done" after this season in terms of putting RB1 type numbers on an every week basis, simply from the standpoint that the 49ers would be silly not to start working in Lattimore and others (Hunter I guess) in 2014. My gut tells me that the 2014 Niners backfield will be a decently messy RBBC. That's not to say that Gore may not be a serviceable RB2 next season - but his dominance as frontline RB1 slides after 2013.

Good point. As a Gore owner, I think he's "done" after this season in terms of putting RB1 type numbers on an every week basis, simply from the standpoint that the 49ers would be silly not to start working in Lattimore and others (Hunter I guess) in 2014. My gut tells me that the 2014 Niners backfield will be a decently messy RBBC. That's not to say that Gore may not be a serviceable RB2 next season - but his dominance as frontline RB1 slides after 2013.
Gore was supposed to be a low end RB2 THIS season according to the "sharks" and staff here.

The question posed was "when Gore moves on", not "next year". Unless Gore plays into his 40's, at some point he's going to be done while both Hunter/Lattimore are still in their primes.

Lots of change-of-pace backs have high YPC in a change-of-pace role. Justin Forsett has a 4.9 ypc career average. And yes, Frank Gore is doing fine and showing no signs of slowing down. Will Lattimore ever get back to his freshman skill level, and can he stay healthy?

I think gore has a huge cap value next year, so people familiar with the SF organization have suggested Gore could become a cap casualty. Even if not, he is in his last year of his contract.

Strictly on size, hunter is not "designed" to be much more than a change of pace back. Lattimore is built more like an every down back.

I am on board with lattimore next year. I think we could see gore as a potential cap casualty next season, or at least being brought back for a chance and maybe shown the bench for younger, better talent.

Gore has a LOT of miles. Doesn't necessarily mean he is due to be a dud next year, but we've seen it happen where stud RBs suddenly drop off the face of fantasy earth. Gore is a prime candidate considering his age and his mileage. When you look at who can step in next year and take the load, Lattimore has the talent and is projected as a starter due to his size better than Hunter or even James

Gore was supposed to be a low end RB2 THIS season according to the "sharks" and staff here.
Just about to say the same.

No one cares about whatever axe you have to grind with the FBG staff, Keith.

No one cares about whatever axe you have to grind with the FBG staff, Keith.
Can the mods ban this tool yet?

GordonGekko said:
So as someone that can't understand much of what goes on over on the West Coast, I'm trying to figure out why everyone has Marcus Lattimore assuming the feature back role when Gore moves on?

What has Kendall Hunter's 4.6 ypc career average done to make folks believe he is going to be a "change of pace" RB?

Is it just because of Lattimore's pedigree?
I think all SF RB production is a little clouded because they have arguably the best offensive line in the entire NFL and are two notches above every other team still as a run blocking unit. Guard Iupati is very very underrated considering his level of play. IMHO, Iupati could be a Hall Of Fame grade type player if he can stay healthy and SF consistently invests in that line and keeps him.

Hunter was drafted in 2011, the first year under the new labor agreement. Next year the 49ers have to decide if he's going to be traded or resigned to a better contract ( and take the starting job implied) or let to play out the string and not resigned. If Gore resigns to a much much cheaper deal, an older Gore/younger Lattimore combination is simply cheaper ( Lattimore has no leverage, he basically redshirted his first year) and has a more proven element to it (Gore).

I also think the 49ers want to get LaMichael James more involved, but there are simply not enough snaps to go around.

I can see Hunter easily being traded in the offseason under the last year of his reasonable rookie deal. Even if Gore doesn't take a massive paycut to stay, I can still see the 49ers trading Hunter and rolling with Lattimore and James and whatever is left.

If you watch some film on the 49ers O line, a lot of the time, Hunter and Gore aren't getting first contact until they are reaching the 2nd level of the defense. You have to feel sorry for D linemen they face, getting mauled by Iupati is probably like getting hit full speed by a runaway cement truck.
Interesting... So, however unlikely, Hunter could be traded. I wonder if other teams would view him as a starter? Or... He could end up with a similar fate as post-San Diego Mike Tolbert-- a talented, potential starter who ends up getting lost on the depth chart of a crappy team.

I think gore has a huge cap value next year, so people familiar with the SF organization have suggested Gore could become a cap casualty. Even if not, he is in his last year of his contract.

Strictly on size, hunter is not "designed" to be much more than a change of pace back. Lattimore is built more like an every down back.

I am on board with lattimore next year. I think we could see gore as a potential cap casualty next season, or at least being brought back for a chance and maybe shown the bench for younger, better talent.

Gore has a LOT of miles. Doesn't necessarily mean he is due to be a dud next year, but we've seen it happen where stud RBs suddenly drop off the face of fantasy earth. Gore is a prime candidate considering his age and his mileage. When you look at who can step in next year and take the load, Lattimore has the talent and is projected as a starter due to his size better than Hunter or even James
No way, Gore will be back on the team next yr, might to have to reuce his cap value but they'll give him a nice bonus. At the rate hes going I can see him giving us another yr of good production. They might want to start reducing his workload to about 15 carries a game to safe some tread.

If Lattimore can get back (or close to) what he was in college I don't see Hunter holding him off.

That said, Gore seems to have a few more good years left, and by the time he's washed up, Hunter will likely be gone (IF Lattimore comes back strong).

If Lattimore can get back (or close to) what he was in college I don't see Hunter holding him off.

That said, Gore seems to have a few more good years left, and by the time he's washed up, Hunter will likely be gone (IF Lattimore comes back strong).
hunter is a free agent after 14, yes?

GordonGekko said:
Interesting... So, however unlikely, Hunter could be traded. I wonder if other teams would view him as a starter? Or... He could end up with a similar fate as post-San Diego Mike Tolbert-- a talented, potential starter who ends up getting lost on the depth chart of a crappy team.
I think other teams would view Hunter as cheap labor. Low risk/moderate reward potential. How will he fare not running behind that offensive line? If I was another team who had drafted a RB in round 2 of the draft and needed a one year stopgap to sort of ease my rookie in and have a veteran player to hold down the job for a bit, but have the potential to lock down the job all year if needed, then Hunter might be a good choice.

If Hunter was going to take Gore's job, he would have taken it already. Sometimes a player ends up like Billy Volek, holding all the traits of an outstanding backup, but never quite have all the ingredients to be seen as a great starter on their own.
I guess, to me, this is the part that I don't get. Just because Hunter was drafted in the 4th round does not mean he'd be a "one year stopgap" to a 2nd round RB. We've seen time and again that draft position doesn't really matter (Zac Stacy?) especially at RB. The truth is, Hunter has shown capable of being a starter in the NFL, but yet folks write him off as a backup. Normally a backup RB plays like a backup RB, but Hunter repeatedly has shown that he's better than that. His size is a bit on the small end of the range, but still within range, and despite his injury last year, he's been relatively durable throughout his college career.

So besides being a bit smaller, what about his game suggests he can't be a 1st and 2nd down RB?

And I also don't agree that "if he's going to take it, he would have" by now. Gore is a fan favorite, and still very productive. All things being equal, he's going to keep his job unless he starts to suck. I doubt it's simply because Hunter hasn't taken it from him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Gore plays another year and Hunter remains the change-of-pace back in 2014. Lattimore will probably get a couple series each game. If he shows he is back anywhere close to his pre-injury form, he will be the starter in 2015. Hunter is a FA after the 2014 season and I think that he gets his shot to be the feature back on another team. Being a former Hunter owner, it was kind of frustrating since I see him being a smaller back who is capable of carrying the load. He's just stuck on a team where I don't see it ever happening.

GordonGekko said:
I think other teams would view Hunter as cheap labor. Low risk/moderate reward potential. How will he fare not running behind that offensive line? If I was another team who had drafted a RB in round 2 of the draft and needed a one year stopgap to sort of ease my rookie in and have a veteran player to hold down the job for a bit, but have the potential to lock down the job all year if needed, then Hunter might be a good choice.

If Hunter was going to take Gore's job, he would have taken it already. Sometimes a player ends up like Billy Volek, holding all the traits of an outstanding backup, but never quite have all the ingredients to be seen as a great starter on their own.
I guess, to me, this is the part that I don't get. Just because Hunter was drafted in the 4th round does not mean he'd be a "one year stopgap" to a 2nd round RB. We've seen time and again that draft position doesn't really matter (Zac Stacy?) especially at RB. The truth is, Hunter has shown capable of being a starter in the NFL, but yet folks write him off as a backup. Normally a backup RB plays like a backup RB, but Hunter repeatedly has shown that he's better than that. His size is a bit on the small end of the range, but still within range, and despite his injury last year, he's been relatively durable throughout his college career.

So besides being a bit smaller, what about his game suggests he can't be a 1st and 2nd down RB?

And I also don't agree that "if he's going to take it, he would have" by now. Gore is a fan favorite, and still very productive. All things being equal, he's going to keep his job unless he starts to suck. I doubt it's simply because Hunter hasn't taken it from him.
I agree with most of what you say, but Hunter hasn't proven that he is definitely capable of being an NFL starter. I need to see more than 200 carries over three years.

As far as Lattimore is concerned, most people are banking on his pre-injury performance. He has shown that he has special skills. Now whether he can still find them after all this, is debatable. But I believe that is what most of the hope is based on.

No way, Gore will be back on the team next yr, might to have to reuce his cap value but they'll give him a nice bonus. At the rate hes going I can see him giving us another yr of good production. They might want to start reducing his workload to about 15 carries a game to safe some tread.
Gore will be 31 next year, will have about 2,700 touches (incl. post season), and will be due $6.5 million with no dead money if he is cut. I get that he is a fan favorite and from a human perspective they should take care of him for his years of service, but he'll have to take a significant pay cut to stick around next season. Most teams have at least some dead money if they cut a player. At the time of the signing, it was very apparent that Gore's agent did a terrible job. It is very team friendly.

Steven Jackson is the only NFL RB with a longer tenure and/or more touches than Gore. If Lattimore impresses the coaches and they need the cap space, this will be an interesting situation. I don't feel definitive in either direction, but I won't be shocked if Gore is cut or if he is signed to a cheaper contract, but usually those involve extensions and I don't see any leverage for an extension here. An extension would only hurt the cap later (he won't be playing in 2016) and they have an opportunity to walk away clean from this contract.

As for the OP, he clearly has Hunter and is hoping for the best, but no, it's just not going to happen. Hunter is simply not the type of back they want to run between the tackles 15-20 times a game. James was a bust, so they will probably try to keep Hunter around as a reliable CoP back. They can afford to do so if they let Gore walk because Lattimore's 4th round contract is very cheap.

"As for the OP, he clearly has Hunter and is hoping for the best, but no, it's just not going to happen. Hunter is simply not the type of back they want to run between the tackles..."

Thanks for diagnosing my motivations, Ninja! "Clearly" you are a Lattimore owner who hopes Hunter is a COP back, because everything else suggests he's more that that. Including the GM of the 49'ers when he was drafted. For whatever reason Internet Explorer 11, that I just upgraded to unfortunately, doesn't allow me to cut and paste anymore (grrr...) but if you go back 4 pages of Kendall Hunter news in Rotoworld, there are several entries that say Hunter was seen as a full time guy when he was drafted.

So what's changed? He got injured last year, the 9'ers drafted Lattimore in case Hunter didn't recover, yet Hunter recovered. Crowded backfield, either way, but I have yet to understand why folks don't believe Hunter can start.

Lattimore wasn't drafted in case Hunter didn't recover. He was drafted because, pre-injury, he was one of the best RB prospects of the decade and the Niners had a plethora of picks, and enough talent on the roster in other spots, to justify a dead year committed to rehabbing him, hopefully for a high payoff. They were one of the few teams who could afford it. They absolutely think he is starter material, if healthy.

Seems like a backfield featuring (a healthy) Lattimore, with COP Hunter, and backup James, plus part-time FB Dixon is a pretty nice stable of backs. I see no reason why SF won't move on from Gore next year. He's been valuable to the organization, but they can help him out by letting him go early so he can re-sign with another team (Pats?).

Lattimore wasn't drafted in case Hunter didn't recover. He was drafted because, pre-injury, he was one of the best RB prospects of the decade and the Niners had a plethora of picks, and enough talent on the roster in other spots, to justify a dead year committed to rehabbing him, hopefully for a high payoff. They were one of the few teams who could afford it. They absolutely think he is starter material, if healthy.
:goodposting:

And that doesn't mean that Hunter won't ever end up being the starter. He obviously could. But I agree. Hunter's not the automatic heir apparent with Lattimore viewed only as a backup.

:goodposting:

And that doesn't mean that Hunter won't ever end up being the starter. He obviously could. But I agree. Hunter's not the automatic heir apparent with Lattimore viewed only as a backup.
Nor is Lattimore the automatic heir apparent with Hunter strictly the back-up. But that seems likely given how they've utilized a bigger back in Gore with Hunter and James mixed-in. Of course, Gore's 'pretty good,' so there's that, but it looks like their blue-print is to use a proto-type size back as the main guy.

"As for the OP, he clearly has Hunter and is hoping for the best, but no, it's just not going to happen. Hunter is simply not the type of back they want to run between the tackles..."

Thanks for diagnosing my motivations, Ninja! "Clearly" you are a Lattimore owner who hopes Hunter is a COP back, because everything else suggests he's more that that. Including the GM of the 49'ers when he was drafted. For whatever reason Internet Explorer 11, that I just upgraded to unfortunately, doesn't allow me to cut and paste anymore (grrr...) but if you go back 4 pages of Kendall Hunter news in Rotoworld, there are several entries that say Hunter was seen as a full time guy when he was drafted.

So what's changed? He got injured last year, the 9'ers drafted Lattimore in case Hunter didn't recover, yet Hunter recovered. Crowded backfield, either way, but I have yet to understand why folks don't believe Hunter can start.
Haha, sure, coach/GM chatter after the draft three years ago is pretty much the most reliable dynasty intel you are going to find on the web. I guess there's nothing I can do to trump that. Aside from a week 17 game in his rookie year, Hunter has never cracked a dozen carries a game so I'm not sure how "everything else suggests" he's more than a CoP back, but hey, keep hope alive. I guess you are having trouble keeping hope alive which is why you started this thread trolling for some confirmation bias that the 49ers intend to turn Hunter into their primary back.

I'm not saying Hunter can't be a 3 down back (I think it is improbable) but I am saying that it appears that his team does not intend to use him that way. If Lattimore can't return to form, I suspect they'll bring someone else in.

Because Lattimore is better.
How better is he really? If you look at the college stat lines Kendall Hunter was no garbage time back at Oklahoma State.

2007 107 carries 696 yards 6.5 avg 4TD

2008 241 carries 1555 yards 6.5 avg 16 TD

2009 89 carries 382 yards 4.3 avg 1 TD (tore achilles)

2010 271 carries 1548 yards 5.7 avg 16 TD

Lattimore:

2010 249 carries 1197 yards 4.8 avg 17 TD

2011 163 carries 818 yards 5.0 avg 10 TD (tore ACL)

2012 143 carries 662 yards 4.6 avg 11 TD (dislocating knee cap and tearing several ligaments)

If I was drafting players I'd take the guy is already doing it in the NFL over a guy that we hope makes a transition. Lattimore may have a solid career, but I wouldn't throw out Kendall Hunter.

How better is he really? If you look at the college stat lines Kendall Hunter was no garbage time back at Oklahoma State.

Lattimore:

2012 143 carries 662 yards 4.6 avg 11 TD (dislocating knee cap and tearing several ligaments)

If I was drafting players I'd take the guy is already doing it in the NFL over a guy that we hope makes a transition. Lattimore may have a solid career, but I wouldn't throw out Kendall Hunter.
Are you familiar with the Oklahoma State offense? I ask that seriously, not as a jab. It's high octane with lots of receivers spread wide. Very conducive to putting up big rushing numbers with the defense keyed against the pass. Joseph Randle put up monster numbers as well once Hunter was gone. That being said, I liked Hunter a lot in college.

The USCe offense was no slouch productivity-wise, but it was much more traditional. Lattimore did his damage between the tackles and often with the defense focused on him. Stephen Garcia was much-maligned running that offense and was suspended, I believe, multiple times which put even more pressure on Lattimore to carry the offense.

Lattimore:

Sproles was also a beast at OK ST, with 6.1 YPC on over 800 carries. So, against that level of competition, small backs can put up numbers.

But, Lattimore did it in the SEC. That's all you need to know.

Lattimore:

Sproles was also a beast at OK ST, with 6.1 YPC on over 800 carries. So, against that level of competition, small backs can put up numbers.

For every Sproles there is a Mark Ingram. Just because the RB came out of the SEC doesn't crown them. There is alot more to the game then the conference they played in.

And I'm hopeful that Lattimore can be successful in the NFL, I'm just saying I wouldn't count out Kendall Hunter. When given the opportunity he has played well in the NFL, Lattimore is a lot of hopes and question marks.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gore get the hell out of there. While the OL is fantastic, Harbug/K-Stink have no idea how to throw passes to the RB. Gore used to be a 50+ catch machine until these 2 clowns showed up.

Lattimore:

For every Sproles there is a Mark Ingram. Just because the RB came out of the SEC doesn't crown them. There is alot more to the game then the conference they played in.

And I'm hopeful that Lattimore can be successful in the NFL, I'm just saying I wouldn't count out Kendall Hunter. When given the opportunity he has played well in the NFL, Lattimore is a lot of hopes and question marks.
Wtf are you guys talking about? Sproles went to K State. Also, comparing YPC of a RB in the Big 12 to a RB in the SEC is apples to oranges. The Big 12 was an offensive conference with pretty lackluster defenses. If Hunter was playing against SEC defenses his YPC would have dropped drastically.

Users who are viewing this thread