What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do people hate Peyton Manning? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Ashcraft

Footballguy
No fishing trips here........but also no pissing in here either.I want to know why there is so much hate for the Manning family and moreover, Peyton Manning. I dont want a Manning vs. "X" QB debate, nor do I want any flame wars.I would just like to hear people state their opinions in a honest way and be mature about it.As the starter of this poll, I am sure you can tell I am a Manning fan. Outside of any KC players, he is my favorite, and has been since his Tennessee days. I like the things for which he stands for in the same way I like the things that men like Troy Vincent and Will Shields stand for (included so one doesnt think I am racist by any means.......I admire TV and WS).So, bring it.....but do so in a mature way.

people hate everyoneget used to it manthe world is a bunch of haters who relish more in people's failures than in their success

Other:He has a sense of entitlement, which is unmerited based on his inability to win big games.

People hate it when someone (or some team) not on their own team is considered great and is prominently displayed in the media.

Kevin,Honestly, I think a lot of people like to see good, talented people fail because it makes them feel better about their own underwhelming or miserable lives. Manning is one of THE best in the NFL from a number of different perspectives. However, if he had six Super Bowl titles under his belt, 6,000 passing yards/year and 50 TDs/year, people would hate him even MORE.Seeing someone like Manning fail somehow makes people think that their own "pedestrian" lives don't completely suck as much as they might have thought..... Misery loves company. :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
He has a sense of entitlement, which is unmerited based on his inability to win big games.
I disagree. He doesn't have that sense. He's never seemed like anything more than a humble man to me. However, some of the fans and media may have that sense.The dislike for Manning has always baffled me. I've assumed it was more personal issues with the person that dislikes him. Projection, etc.

Kevin,

Honestly, I think a lot of people like to see good, talented people fail because it makes them feel better about their own underwhelming or miserable lives. Manning is one of THE best in the NFL from a number of different perspectives. However, if he had six Super Bowl titles under his belt, 6,000 passing yards/year and 50 TDs/year, people would hate him even MORE.

Seeing someone like Manning fail somehow makes people think that their own "pedestrian" lives don't completely suck as much as they might have though.....

Misery loves company. :no:
:goodposting:

He has a sense of entitlement, which is unmerited based on his inability to win big games.
I disagree. He doesn't have that sense. He's never seemed like anything more than a humble man to me. However, some of the fans and media may have that sense.The dislike for Manning has always baffled me. I've assumed it was more personal issues with the person that dislikes him. Projection, etc.

Kevin,

Honestly, I think a lot of people like to see good, talented people fail because it makes them feel better about their own underwhelming or miserable lives. Manning is one of THE best in the NFL from a number of different perspectives. However, if he had six Super Bowl titles under his belt, 6,000 passing yards/year and 50 TDs/year, people would hate him even MORE.

Seeing someone like Manning fail somehow makes people think that their own "pedestrian" lives don't completely suck as much as they might have thought.....

:goodposting: I wish I could have said what I wanted to say this clear.

Well to me other than beating Denver the last two seasons. :hot: I just think that he thinks he is better than everyone. example today telling the punt team not to come on the field. Last I checked Dungy was the coach, although you have to wonder how much longer.I don't think any other QB would of been able to do what he did.

Kevin,

Seeing someone like Manning fail somehow makes people think that their own "pedestrian" lives don't completely suck as much as they might have thought.....

dumbest poll ever...

because he is from a christian family is a choice?
Hopefully thsi doesnt start a pissing match......but I know thats ometimes person who is outspoken with their faith get ridiculed more harshly.....I had to think like a Manning hater while doing this as I dont see anything but a great role model.

I'm sure there are a variety of factors depending on the individual, but if I had to guess at the biggest reasons they would be:

1. People get annoyed when subjected to something again and again and again and transfer that annoyance to the player. An example, on a BBS I talk football on, there is a guy who grew up Big Ben's hometown. He used to go on continually about all things great about Roethlisberger. It got to the point that several of us on the board told him we were starting to dislike Big Ben because we were tired of listening to him go on about him. Another example of this is how irritated people here got with the Pats after their first super bowl, not necessarily because of the team but because of the fan's behavior in here.

2. People get even more annoyed when #1 happens and they don't think the person is deserving of the acclaim. Plenty of examples of this. Favre and Michael Vick immediately jump out. Whether or not the person deserves the acclaim is of course an individual belief... and they'll get annoyed whether their own belief is right, wrong, or just a matter of preference.

I really think he's a good qb. But I just dont think he's a winner. I know the Colts won 13 games. He has a football camp here in Louisiana every year for kids. He helped out with Katrina. I just don't like the way he acts. Like he's Mr football. I agree the Colts shoud of went for it when he wanted to. But to send the punting team off like he's the coach is ridiculos. Will he be in the HOF? Yes, a 1st ballot? Yes. But for some reason he does not win when needed most. I dont know if this really answers your question. But untill you win your not Montana,Brady, or Bradshaw.

Kevin,

Honestly, I think a lot of people like to see good, talented people fail because it makes them feel better about their own underwhelming or miserable lives.  Manning is one of THE best in the NFL from a number of different perspectives.  However, if he had six Super Bowl titles under his belt, 6,000 passing yards/year and 50 TDs/year, people would hate him even MORE.

Misery loves company.  :no:
I'm surprised at the number of posts with this theory. Are you all Colts fans or something? I can't stand him. It's based on his personality and attitude. It is somewhat irrational, I freely admit, but it has nothing to do with his talent. He's hardly the only very talented guy in the NFL. He's just the only very talented guy that bugs me. :hophead: Peyton Manning talking about his co-MVP award (shared with McNair): "Ashley thinks I should have won the whole thing". Way to deflect your feelings in public, Peyton.

I really think he's a good qb. But I just dont think he's a winner. I know the Colts won 13 games. He has a football camp here in Louisiana every year for kids. He helped out with Katrina. I just don't like the way he acts. Like he's Mr football. I agree the Colts shoud of went for it when he wanted to. But to send the punting team off like he's the coach is ridiculos. Will he be in the HOF? Yes, a 1st ballot? Yes. But for some reason he does not win when needed most. I dont know if this really answers your question. But untill you win your not Montana,Brady, or Bradshaw.
If it were Tennis and choked in Wimbeldon every year I would agree.....but once you play FB on a certain level (I played into college) you reallys ee that no one man is bigger than the team........unless you have 11 guys doing their hjobs correctly, on a consistent basis, then you wont win "the big one"Manning cant pass block or play LB. GHe plays QB and is a helluva great one. From the first year of organized FB when I was 8, I realized that the notion of a QB being judged on what the team does is ludicrous........its asanine. So I started think INDEPENDENTLY and refused to listen to people who havent played a team game insist that the QB is the reason for wins and losses.

dumbest poll ever...

Hopefully thsi doesnt start a pissing match......but I know thats ometimes person who is outspoken with their faith get ridiculed more harshly.....I had to think like a Manning hater while doing this as I dont see anything but a great role model.
maybe it was how you phrased it...if you said "he is too religious" or "wears his religion on his sleeve" that would have been better

the way you phrased it sounded like you had a bias which it seems you do...

dumbest poll ever...

maybe it was how you phrased it...if you said "he is too religious" or "wears his religion on his sleeve" that would have been better

the way you phrased it sounded like you had a bias which it seems you do...
Hey, no offense taken.......Im biased----everyone is.

His whining about not being able to run his "fake walk to tunnel/run back and hike ball before halftime" stunt reminds me of a 12 year old playing Madden on XBox live.

I don't know why people hate Manning, but you have to love him waving the punt unit back to the sidelines on 4th-and-2... and then calling a pass play and putting the responsibility right on his shoulders.

Kevin,

He doesn't have that sense. He's never seemed like anything more than a humble man to me. However, some of the fans and media may have that sense.

The dislike for Manning has always baffled me. I've assumed it was more personal issues with the person that dislikes him. Projection, etc.
Both :goodposting: :thumbup: He occasionally bugs me with the (IMHO) excessive audibles, fake audibles, etc, and although I'm a big fan, he'll never get my consideration as best ever, not even if he wins a SB or 2 (which I doubt for a variety of reasons). But he is one helluva QB who works his ### off and doesn't come off elitest or any similar BS which morons continually try to project on him.

PS and oh btw TEAMS win games, not one guy. I still don't get why this is so hard for some rocket scientists to grasp.

My real answer is 1) you cant cheer for every QB2) He has things very easy.. before today and the SD game, he wasn't hit all season long...3) His audibiling is impressive but something about it annoys me4) he doesn't look like a football player.. in fact he is ugly5) the media has loved him since day 16) he thus far hasnt showed up when it countsCompare him to Brady, for example.. Brady had no media love, came from nowhere and plays with icewater in his veins.McNabb has controversy early on in his career (booed at draft, albeit by a minority of eagles fans), has battled through injuries, and is more "flashy" (well was more flashy)I think hate is a strong word.. I think people cheer against and want Peyton to lose for some of my reasons stated above.Is he more "likable" than other QBs? Sure...who can like Vick?oh yeah, the single season TD record annoyed me too... when Marino had it, he had no running game, he had to pass every play. Manning wouldnt give the ball to Edge just to get the record.

If it were Tennis and choked in Wimbeldon every year I would agree.....but once you play FB on a certain level (I played into college) you reallys ee that no one man is bigger than the team........unless you have 11 guys doing their hjobs correctly, on a consistent basis, then you wont win "the big one"Manning cant pass block or play LB. GHe plays QB and is a helluva great one. From the first year of organized FB when I was 8, I realized that the notion of a QB being judged on what the team does is ludicrous........its asanine. So I started think INDEPENDENTLY and refused to listen to people who havent played a team game insist that the QB is the reason for wins and losses.
Do you think Manning has played as well in the playoffs as he has in the regular season? Because I think an honest assessment of that only leads to one answer. Today was certainly not all his fault, and neither were all of the other playoff losses. But I think you are denying reality if you refuse to acknowledge that the level of his individual play has gone south in virtually every major postseason game of his career.And for the record, white superstar :lmao:

Pretty simple for me. 41-10 in 2004 and 49-24 in 2005. I hold grudges as a fan ... not the best reason, admittedly, but I can't help it.

Its something that I can't explain, really. He is the best qb in the NFL, there is nothing not to like about him from a football perspective. Lets see, he is a coach on the field, and sleeps in the film room. Sense of entitlement? What?The guy has an efficient game at qb, with no INTs and no blocking, and people salivate to blame him for the loss. It is pretty stupid.I have not seen a qb like Manning in a long time, he can make all the thows and doesn't rely on his explosive receiver to make a 2 yard catch into an 80 yard td. He hits his receivers in stride and is nearly flawless in timing patterns.Maybe people don't like him beacuse he is just so good.I have no homer bias at all with Manning. I am not a Tennessee fan, Archie Manning fan, or COlts fan. I am a football fan, and I see Manning as one of the best.

Do you think Manning has played as well in the playoffs as he has in the regular season? Because I think an honest assessment of that only leads to one answer. Today was certainly not all his fault, and neither were all of the other playoff losses. But I think you are denying reality if you refuse to acknowledge that the level of his individual play has gone south in virtually every major postseason game of his career.And for the record, white superstar :lmao:
So those games in which he absolutely shredded the Broncos and Chiefs the past two seasons weren't MAJOR playoff games?Manning has struggled when facing elite defense with great coaches bringing out their best gameplans. That would happen to any QB.

Name one time Manning has demonstrated that he feels he is entitled to anything, or that he believes he is better than his performance in big games entitles him to believe.

Another reason to dislike himAlthough he is the best QB (at least reg season QB)... he signed a huge contractBrady took less to give more to the teamAs people point out the NFL is a team game so now that the COlts are capped out, who is the biggest reason for this?

Name one time Manning has demonstrated that he feels he is entitled to anything, or that he believes he is better than his performance in big games entitles him to believe.
Heisman TrophyManning disobeyed his coach when he sent the punt team back to the sidelines. If that is not a sense of entitlement I don’t know what is.

You need another choice in your poll.Because he is a ManningI was actually a Peyton fan until the Manning mess with San Diego.

What do you think Brady would do, with the offense Manning does. Stokely Would be the number 1 wr on the Pats and he's the Colts 3. Dillon is good, But they one 2 with out him. Brady put the Pats on his shoulders this year. Brady has proven he's a winner. Do you think Manning would have 49 td's if he had the Pats offense players? No. Again, I'm not denying that Manning is special. But sometimes your team needs you, as a star qb to carry the team. And when it matters most Manning is unable to do this.

all stats, no gutsif it's fourth and a foot with the game on the line, the colts won't run.that would be too "conventional" for peytonpeyton doesn't look like a "football genius" when he merely hands it off.handing off is for the common peoplepeyton needs to outsmart the other team, to audible ten times, to flap his arms around like a chicken and beat you with his arms and his brain.remember when they had goal to go vs the chargers and peyton called that ######ed busted play bootleg and got eaten alive by merriman??that's quintessential peyton. hand it to edge, they're greater than 50% to score, but that would have been too easy, not enough glory for peyton

You say you want a serious discussion then you have those as your choices for the poll? :thumbdown:
dude yes, its because he is a white christian.its not because he thinks he is so mart and takes forever to hike the damn ball.

its because he is a christian.

Heres a question...

Why do people hate Kevin Ashcraft?

No seriously why?

So those games in which he absolutely shredded the Broncos and Chiefs the past two seasons weren't MAJOR playoff games?

Manning has struggled when facing elite defense with great coaches bringing out their best gameplans. That would happen to any QB.
I always hear these arguments. First, if you're going to give credit to Manning for "absolutely shredding" the defenseless Chiefs, you have to give him criticism for having a bad game against a top defense.

Second, nobody's criticizing Manning for his performances against Denver and KC. The criticism is because the Colts' season has ended several times because Manning had a terrible individual performance.

You say you want a serious discussion then you have those as your choices for the poll? :thumbdown:
BINGOI don't hate Peyton Manning, but I know I'm one of the people this thread is aimed at. I don't mean that any of you think I'm a Manning hater -- I mean that I am not deeply in love with him as the greatest QB the game has ever seen. As I tell everyone I can, Carson Palmer appeared to me to be a much better prospect for that label up until his knee got shredded. If he can regain his form, he will still be a much better prospect for that label.

What really, really annoys me are the Manning fans. Guys who conclude that terrible list of things that don't even come into play when I think of the Mannings and Peyton are the reason why people are critical of him are the main reason I get annoyed at the topic of Peyton Manning.

Other reasons include:

- The total garbage Archie and Eli pulled with Eli and the Giants. There is nothing I have seen as a fan that I consider to be a larger attack on what makes the NFL great than that manuever. Even Elway didn't go as far as they did -- he at least suffered a year out of the league for his insolence.

- The extreme amount of hype about how "smart" Peyton is.

- The fact that Peyton does not allow his coach to actually coach the team.

- The fact that he's a Vol. I'm an Alabama fan, after all.

Why do people hate Brett Favre?Tom Brady?Mike Vick?Every fan has players they like and dislike. I'm not sure why someone would be surprised or insulted by this.

all stats, no guts

if it's fourth and a foot with the game on the line, the colts won't run.

that would be too "conventional" for peyton

peyton doesn't look like a "football genius" when he merely hands it off.

handing off is for the common people

peyton needs to outsmart the other team, to audible ten times, to flap his arms around like a chicken and beat you with his arms and his brain.

remember when they had goal to go vs the chargers and peyton called that ######ed busted play bootleg and got eaten alive by merriman??

that's quintessential peyton. hand it to edge, they're greater than 50% to score, but that would have been too easy, not enough glory for peyton
This is a great post. And this is what they said about Marino as well!!!Excellent post!!!!!!

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

You need another choice in your poll.

Because he is a Manning

I was actually a Peyton fan until the Manning mess with San Diego.
Agree. They think they are bigger than the game itself. That and they talk like southern bumpkins, which just bugs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread