What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do you oppose the DISCLOSE act? (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
The senate just opposed a bill to add transparency to campaign contributions. The vote went down party lines.

1) Which party do you think supported it, and which opposed it?
2) Why do you personally oppose it?

I'll wait until this falls to page 2 to claim that my point was made

The senate just opposed a bill to add transparency to campaign contributions. The vote went down party lines.

You mean what the WSJ called the "The Stifle Speech Act of 2022"? The bill that one party has advanced one way or another but failed repeatedly for about a dozen years now? The bill that would "dox deplorables"*? That bill?

*This is in quotes, because it is a quote.

why would anyone oppose this take that to the bank bromigo
I'd expect most politicians in both parties to oppose and literally none of their constituents opposing.
Yet that is not what happened. it was decisively voted on party lines.

I'd expect people to oppose such a bill on party lines but maybe I'm more optimistic than you. I guess I'm naive but I genuinely believe that both sides really want what's best for the country.

I'm guessing the Republicans opposed it and the Democrats supported it. I believe the Democrats have a 51-49 majority in the Senate so I'd guess Manchin and Sinema voted against it.
I don't oppose it. I assume at least 75% of the public would support transparency around campaign contributions. Some could be concerned about small contributions being named publicly. I believe the Democrats report more small contributions so if this bill was addressing small contributions, I suppose the Democrats may have opposed.

What were the specifics of this bill?

I'm guessing the Republicans opposed it and the Democrats supported it. I believe the Democrats have a 51-49 majority in the Senate so I'd guess Manchin and Sinema voted against it.
I don't oppose it. I assume at least 75% of the public would support transparency around campaign contributions. Some could be concerned about small contributions being named publicly. I believe the Democrats report more small contributions so if this bill was addressing small contributions, I suppose the Democrats may have opposed.

I understand party politics so some people will support it just because their political celebrities support it.

I'm just wondering if anyone actually supports or opposes the bill on its own merits

“(a) Offense.—It shall be unlawful for an owner, officer, attorney, or incorporation agent of a corporation, company, or other entity to establish or use the corporation, company, or other entity with the intent to conceal an activity of a foreign national (as defined in section 319 of the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (52 U.S.C. 30121)) prohibited under such section 319.
“(b) Penalty.—Any person who violates subsection (a) shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, fined under this title, or both.”

A punishment range of cash fine to 5 years imprisonment seems like it would allow for too much corruption. I would like to see a 2 year minimum and 20 year max. This still allows the judge to exercise some discretion and it respects the seriousness of the violation.

It's probably just late

Friday morning people, who opposes transparency of foreign investment in elections? I'm sure your senators represent you, but I don't know if i understand why you personally oppose this bill?

“(a) Offense.—It shall be unlawful for an owner, officer, attorney, or incorporation agent of a corporation, company, or other entity to establish or use the corporation, company, or other entity with the intent to conceal an activity of a foreign national (as defined in section 319 of the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (52 U.S.C. 30121)) prohibited under such section 319.
“(b) Penalty.—Any person who violates subsection (a) shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, fined under this title, or both.”

A punishment range of cash fine to 5 years imprisonment seems like it would allow for too much corruption. I would like to see a 2 year minimum and 20 year max. This still allows the judge to exercise some discretion and it respects the seriousness of the violation.
It sounds like we both agree on increasing the penalty and we both probably want to increase the jail time/ penalty. We just need to decide where to

Where should the line be drawn?

It sounds like we both agree on increasing the penalty and we both probably want to increase the jail time/ penalty. We just need to decide where to

What do you mean by drawing the line? I know very little about the current campaign contribution rules. I think there should be no foreign money allowed. Only contributions from United States citizens, as individuals. Not even companies should be allowed to contribute, nor should PACs be formed. If the individuals within a company or the individuals within a group feel strongly about a candidate, they can contribute as individuals.

Part of my responsibilities the past 10 years was managing a corporate PAC, including fundraising and filing all appropriate campaign finance reports.

I support every provision in this bill. It won’t solve problems of money in politics, but it’s better than the status quo. The part about foreign nationals especially is a no-brainer.

Only contributions from United States citizens, as individuals. Not even companies should be allowed to contribute,
I strongly agree.

Foreign nationals contributing and dark money are attacks on the sovereignty of the United States and should be treated as such.

Campaign finance has been a hot button issue for me since high school and the main reason I distrust all politicians from both major parties. I find it disgusting that companies/PACs/dark money can freely grease both sides of the aisle.

Officially, Democrats have a 51-50 majority (counting Harris). I suspect, however, that there wasn't a vote on passing the legislation, but rather a cloture vote to end the filibuster, which would require 60 votes (not including Harris). A party line vote would defeat a cloture vote every time if either party voted against cloture.

I'm just wondering if anyone actually supports or opposes the bill on its own merits
I'm not sure that any of them would try in the current PSF, but we used to have conservatives that gave rather thought-provoking arguments that money was the ultimate in free speech. When you put limits on putting "your money where your mouth is" you are violating the first amendment. In this case when exposing otherwise anonymous "speech" simply because more dollars means a bigger megaphone.

While they could get you to pause to think about their arguments, they (for me) fell short in the same way as their limiting the vote arguments should fail. So yes, at least historically I believe that the forum had posters that would oppose this act and make a semi convincing argument to support that position. (Which would then be liked by the "liberals tears" crowd with one or two saying that so and so said it much better than they could.)

Here is a very interesting article about this bill from Reason...on one hand it is easy to see why not being anonymous is a good thing, but this article brings up some excellent rebuttals to it...torn on this one as I see some merits, but I absolutely do not trust our current environment/culture not to abuse it as well.

What do you mean by drawing the line? I know very little about the current campaign contribution rules. I think there should be no foreign money allowed. Only contributions from United States citizens, as individuals. Not even companies should be allowed to contribute, nor should PACs be formed. If the individuals within a company or the individuals within a group feel strongly about a candidate, they can contribute as individuals.
I'm pretty onboard with this too. Our government stopped being "of the people, by the people" when the largest donors became corporations and special interests. It's farcical to expect elected leaders to bite the hand that feeds them, we don't have enough leaders with the moral fortitude to do that, it's become abundantly clear that we can't get them to do anything that reduces their chances of re-election, outside of a small handful that have an actual spine.

I'm pretty onboard with this too. Our government stopped being "of the people, by the people" when the largest donors became corporations and special interests. It's farcical to expect elected leaders to bite the hand that feeds them, we don't have enough leaders with the moral fortitude to do that, it's become abundantly clear that we can't get them to do anything that reduces their chances of re-election, outside of a small handful that have an actual spine.

Term limits ASAP.

Term limits ASAP.
They'd be great too.

Term limits ASAP.
They'd be great too.

If they're not gonna be in office for 20-40 years, they aren't worth investing in.

Here is a very interesting article about this bill from Reason...on one hand it is easy to see why not being anonymous is a good thing, but this article brings up some excellent rebuttals to it...torn on this one as I see some merits, but I absolutely do not trust our current environment/culture not to abuse it as well.

I don't think I've ever bought an argument on this topic where anonymity was the rationale. We are a republic, "for the people, by the people". In my view, the anonymous nature of an incredibly large portion of support for politicians, bills, etc is a HUGE problem. I think it should all go away. If you're "afraid" to put your thoughts out there or let your support be known, that says something about your thoughts and support. If we remove that cover, maybe it will make people think more critically of their positions. There's nothing with attempting to raise the bar on discourse.

I don't think I've ever bought an argument on this topic where autonomy was the rationale. We are a republic, "for the people, by the people". In my view, the anonymous nature of an incredibly large portion of support for politicians, bills, etc is a HUGE problem. I think it should all go away. If you're "afraid" to put your thoughts out there or let your support be known, that says something about your thoughts and support. If we remove that cover, maybe it will make people think more critically of their positions. There's nothing with attempting to raise the bar on discourse.

Pretty condescending reply...in today's cancel culture climate if you don't see the potential for unintended consequences you are not being realistic.

I don't think I've ever bought an argument on this topic where autonomy was the rationale. We are a republic, "for the people, by the people". In my view, the anonymous nature of an incredibly large portion of support for politicians, bills, etc is a HUGE problem. I think it should all go away. If you're "afraid" to put your thoughts out there or let your support be known, that says something about your thoughts and support. If we remove that cover, maybe it will make people think more critically of their positions. There's nothing with attempting to raise the bar on discourse.

Pretty condescending reply...in today's cancel culture climate if you don't see the potential for unintended consequences you are not being realistic.
I've held this position since before social media or any of that nonsense was even a thing. I have zero sympathy for those who aren't comfortable having differing opinions....that goes for the aggressors too. The quicker the current "political climate" is blown up, the better IMO. Anyone actively partaking in our MSM and SM platforms and putting value in them gets what they deserve. They created it, they can deal with it :shrug:

Our republic will always be at its strongest when the message and messenger are both out there for evaluation and context.

Free speech is meant to be out in the open, not on the other side of a glory hole.

I can't find the "out in the open" portion of free speech in the First Amendment. Could you please direct me to where it says that? Maybe there is a SC case that says only speech "out in the open" is free under the 1st Amendment?

I've held this position since before social media or any of that nonsense was even a thing. I have zero sympathy for those who aren't comfortable having differing opinions....that goes for the aggressors too. The quicker the current "political climate" is blown up, the better IMO. Anyone actively partaking in our MSM and SM platforms and putting value in them gets what they deserve. They created it, they can deal with it :shrug:

Our republic will always be at its strongest when the message and messenger are both out there for evaluation and context.

If you look at it that way you are correct...if you look at it with the potential for abuse not so much...hopefully our leaders look at all the potential unintended consequences, are not arrogant about it and/or want to use it for political purposes and figure out how to accomplish something here because the system is absolutely broke.

If you look at it that way you are correct...if you look at it with the potential for abuse not so much...hopefully our leaders look at all the potential unintended consequences, are not arrogant about it and/or want to use it for political purposes and figure out how to accomplish something here because the system is absolutely broke.
I'll be SHOCKED if the outcome of this is, in any way, meaningfully different than the times this has been attempted in the past. And i'm willing to bet it's going to be significantly worse moving forward. The "sides" are shrinking in number and getting more and more extreme. The divisions are going to grow because the politicians are beholden to the "sides" and companies...that's where the money's at. This ONLY changes if we shed light on all the money flows and influencers. There's no way around it. It sucks, but that's the bed that has been made.

I don't understand what does getting doxed by this bill and social media have to do with each other.

Free speech is meant to be out in the open, not on the other side of a glory hole.

I can't find the "out in the open" portion of free speech in the First Amendment. Could you please direct me to where it says that? Maybe there is a SC case that says only speech "out in the open" is free under the 1st Amendment?
speech
/spēCH/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the expression of or the ability to express thoughts and feelings by articulate sounds.

a formal address or discourse delivered to an audience.

I don't understand what does getting doxed by this bill and social media have to do with each other.
This is a good question. Not sure to be honest, but the GIST seems to be that with this bill, the secrecy with which some people operate would be removed showing their true actions and some people, upon realizing who the individuals are pulling the strings, may retaliate against them if they don't approve of those actions.

This is a good question. Not sure to be honest, but the GIST seems to be that with this bill, the secrecy with which some people operate would be removed showing their true actions and some people, upon realizing who the individuals are pulling the strings, may retaliate against them if they don't approve of those actions.
Thats correct...and you can't see how that could occur?

I don't feel like reading that whole bill, but I will say that there are very few restrictions or disclosures I am opposed to for political donations.

What I am opposed to is a bill that commissions retroactivity. Does this bill only apply to stuff going forward it does it allow for disclosure of all past things?

If it is only for going forward I support probably 99.9999999% of it.

But this is the first I have heard any details and don't feel like putting in effort to something that isn't happening.

I'll be SHOCKED if the outcome of this is, in any way, meaningfully different than the times this has been attempted in the past. And i'm willing to bet it's going to be significantly worse moving forward. The "sides" are shrinking in number and getting more and more extreme. The divisions are going to grow because the politicians are beholden to the "sides" and companies...that's where the money's at. This ONLY changes if we shed light on all the money flows and influencers. There's no way around it. It sucks, but that's the bed that has been made.

I don't disagree but I think term limits are the answer...right now our political class is nothing more than legalized Mafia...they need $ and the people who invest in them own them more often than not...and that ownership can last decades...if they are not there for a long period there is less incentive to put $ into them or for the pols to need $...there has not been one congressman in the past 50 years that this country could not have lived without...if anything this country would be a better place without losers like Pelosi, McConnell or Ted Kennedy entrenched in power for as long as they were.

I don't disagree but I think term limits are the answer...right now our political class is nothing more than legalized Mafia...they need $ and the people who invest in them own them more often than not...and that ownership can last decades...if they are not there for a long period there is less incentive to put $ into them or for the pols to need $...there has not been one congressman in the past 50 years that this country could not have lived without...if anything this country would be a better place without losers like Pelosi, McConnell or Ted Kennedy entrenched in power for as long as they were.

Politicians do have term limits. Voters just keep extending them.

I'm not necessarily against term limits, but I don't see how term limits prevent special interest groups (whether corporations or other groups) from "buying" politicians. Either they buy the same guy 25 years in a row or they buy a new guy every few years, it's not really any different, is it?

Politicians do have term limits. Voters just keep extending them.

Yup...at the end of the day that avenue is always avaiable.

I'm not necessarily against term limits, but I don't see how term limits prevent special interest groups (whether corporations or other groups) from "buying" politicians. Either they buy the same guy 25 years in a row or they buy a new guy every few years, it's not really any different, is it?

I think it is...if they aren't there for life $ becomes less of a motivating factor...I have had friends run for some pretty high offices and they all said the same thing...they could not believe how much money mattered and how much of an advantage an incumbent already had...now, I won't be naive and think special interests will go away but I think it is 100 times better if they have to start new a lot in their attempts to buy them as opposed to not have to worry about it for 30 years.

I think it is...if they aren't there for life $ becomes less of a motivating factor...I have had friends run for some pretty high offices and they all said the same thing...they could not believe how much money mattered and how much of an advantage an incumbent already had...now, I won't be naive and think special interests will go away but I think it is 100 times better if they have to start new a lot in their attempts to buy them as opposed to not have to worry about it for 30 years.
If I was buying influence, I would think the newbies would fall in line a lot faster than the experienced pro.

Users who are viewing this thread