What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is music so magical? (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
I can't play any instrument nor do I have any talent for it.  But if done right to the person listening it can stir up profound things.  It can bring out emotions across all spectrums.  

It's insane how much joy or pain a cord of music an elicit.  

Just a great medium.

I can't play any instrument nor do I have any talent for it.  But if done right to the person listening it can stir up profound things.  It can bring out emotions across all spectrums.  

Just a great medium.
We all have a heartbeat, so tempo is intrinsically built into us, it just comes down to practice in my opinion. To expand on that a bit with a crazy theory a friend of mine has (or had during some sort of manic episode he had, long story) take this example-

How is music made? The actual noise is a simple vibration. Pluck a string, blow air over a reed, tap a drum, it’s all vibrations. The string wiggles and creates a vibration and it hits our ear and vibrates some organs and we can hear it. Now let’s take this down to our bodies on a molecular level- we are all molecules, made up of particles, that are vibrating. We are vibrating, essentially, all the time. So on some frequency we are humming long, billions of particles that somehow make us solid humans. Ok if I haven’t lost you, now think of heavens gate as a noise gate, that only lets through a certain range of frequencies. And think of all religious texts, not as one being correct, but all being correct as a path to enlightenment, to get your body and mind humming at the right frequency. 

Thats why music elicits emotion....maybe.

We all have a heartbeat, so tempo is intrinsically built into us, it just comes down to practice in my opinion. To expand on that a bit with a crazy theory a friend of mine has (or had during some sort of manic episode he had, long story) take this example-

How is music made? The actual noise is a simple vibration. Pluck a string, blow air over a reed, tap a drum, it’s all vibrations. The string wiggles and creates a vibration and it hits our ear and vibrates some organs and we can hear it. Now let’s take this down to our bodies on a molecular level- we are all molecules, made up of particles, that are vibrating. We are vibrating, essentially, all the time. So on some frequency we are humming long, billions of particles that somehow make us solid humans. Ok if I haven’t lost you, now think of heavens gate as a noise gate, that only lets through a certain range of frequencies. And think of all religious texts, not as one being correct, but all being correct as a path to enlightenment, to get your body and mind humming at the right frequency. 

Great post.  I never looked in but out with music, I think the universe is about waves etc, so is music. 

Thank you for that in depth post.  

I love beer as much as the next guy ...

but beer has never brought me to extreme emotion like a favorite song can.

Interesting to me how so many people have very little interest in music.

To me, music relates better to food. ... food for the ears I guess. ... really good, not so good, and spit it out (change the station).

Eloquent dissertation on why vibrators are popular. Nice work 

It has to be something in our DNA/evolution, right?  

Last edited:
I'm with you GB.   I failed the recorder in second grade.  I cant read a note.  

Love with a passion listening to it.  

Amazingly, my wife can play the piano by sound, my younger son has played the bassoon at Boise St. And state Philharmonic,  and my daughter played the opening solo on the clarinet to Rhapsody in Blue,  at Carnegie Hall the day before she graduated from high school.  I'm in total awe everytime they play.  

We can hear before we can know. The specific sounds outside the womb can seldom be heard (and there is no criteria to relate them to anyway), but many of their tones carry through. The relationships between those tones is the first external stimuli the mind can process. Musical ability is a whole nuther, but that and what Snorkie said about heartbeats is likely the source.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of it is due to the nature of a lot of music. Much of it was born through many of the same emotions that it can evoke or illicit to the listeners.   In effect, you might not be hearing just sounds--but you are listening to a story and are able to digest it in a way that applies to you.   It really is one of the more amazing genres of art.  

Just a great medium.
We are the only species on the planet that can discern rhythm AND pitch AND melody AND harmony AND timbre AND dynamics. Some other species can identify one or maybe two of those, but humans are truly special in this case. Even in our closest primate relatives, only very few can discern just rhythm, let alone the other musical qualities. Birds can discern melody, but get screwed up if the pitch is changed from where they sing and recognize it. Crazy, magical stuff in our brains that have each of these primitive and advanced sections that react to each one of these different musical qualities. 

I HIGHLY recommend the new-ish Netflix series, "Explained", which a 20 minute short episodes no different topics, one of which is Music. I literally   watched this very episode last night, otherwise my paragraph above would not have been so succinct :)

You jumped the shark when you tried to make a connection to the molecular level...

I play 3 instruments, none very well but practicing to me is just so relaxing. I can play the same 2 cords over and over until I get it perfect and it doesn’t bother me at all. Cant  explain why.  Nor do I understand why listening to classical music can bring me close to tears. It’s like magic.  I close my eyes and suck it in like a sponge. 

I believe music and all forms of art are a gift from God.  We have them as a means of expression and connection beyond simple words.  They are unique to humanity and highly spiritual in nature, thus the difficulty in explaining them outside of that mindset.

Snorkelson said:

Whoa

joey said:
We are the only species on the planet that can discern rhythm AND pitch AND melody AND harmony AND timbre AND dynamics. Some other species can identify one or maybe two of those, but humans are truly special in this case. Even in our closest primate relatives, only very few can discern just rhythm, let alone the other musical qualities. Birds can discern melody, but get screwed up if the pitch is changed from where they sing and recognize it. Crazy, magical stuff in our brains that have each of these primitive and advanced sections that react to each one of these different musical qualities. 

I HIGHLY recommend the new-ish Netflix series, "Explained", which a 20 minute short episodes no different topics, one of which is Music. I literally   watched this very episode last night, otherwise my paragraph above would not have been so succinct :)
Whoa

Bossman said:
I love beer as much as the next guy ...

but beer has never brought me to extreme emotion like a favorite song can.

Interesting to me how so many people have very little interest in music.

To me, music relates better to food. ... food for the ears I guess. ... really good, not so good, and spit it out (change the station).
Nothing makes me think less of a person than if they don't passionately care about music. The right music. Not ####ty music. Ok. Lots of other things make care less about people. But that's more on me. And my point still stands. 

I believe music and all forms of art are a gift from God.  We have them as a means of expression and connection beyond simple words.  They are unique to humanity and highly spiritual in nature, thus the difficulty in explaining them outside of that mindset.
Well, I believe I can fly. 

Like so many things, advancements in AI are about to change everything forever. Was at a conference a couple months ago, and they were talking about AI and art. With regard to the creation of music, apparently a system has been developed that uses AI to synthesize the hundred or so songs you load into it to create an entirely new piece of music. I’m talking full arrangement of instruments, melody, lyrics, etc.  The thrust of the panel discussion was about whether AI created art can be copyrighted and if so, by whom. But honestly, I was just sitting there in horror thinking about something I love losing its soul forever. 

Like so many things, advancements in AI are about to change everything forever. Was at a conference a couple months ago, and they were talking about AI and art. With regard to the creation of music, apparently a system has been developed that uses AI to synthesize the hundred or so songs you load into it to create an entirely new piece of music. I’m talking full arrangement of instruments, melody, lyrics, etc.  The thrust of the panel discussion was about whether AI created art can be copyrighted and if so, by whom. But honestly, I was just sitting there in horror thinking about something I love losing its soul forever. 
I would try to create a new age death metal chipmunks tune.

That’s crazy, I just said this to a buddy of mine, that music is mathematical in nature, and what’s to stop someone from coming up with an algorithm to create it. I was thinking more along the lines of playing thousands of Grateful Dead tunes and isolating Jerry’s guitar and collecting the different notes used under different texts and make a computer program of playing like jerry, using actual ideas he played in the past to create new solos and arrangements with like a virtual jerry smiling at the crowd.

If we're placing wagers on who can come up with the next great song, I'll take the computer over Lou Bega. 

But it lives, weirdly. The need for it lives. Pythagoras, back when he heard tones, along with this theorem, said, "this is life." This sounds weird, but Pythagoras was instrumental to music and pitch. It is mathematics. It will never lose soul because it is life.  

"The mystical Pythagoras was so excited by this discovery that he became convinced that the whole universe was based on numbers, and that the planets and stars moved according to mathematical equations, which corresponded to musical notes, and thus produced a kind of symphony, the “Musical Universalis” or “Music of the...(sic)".

eta* Music convinces me there is a God, and that he/she is real.  

eta* Music convinces me there is a God, and that he/she is real.  
Seriously. Do you ever......

Music convinces me there is a field, which might be the same thing, upon which all things humanly mental/spiritual play. God, a dimension, an electromagnetic grid. Our flesh generates or conducts the 30 or 40 watts which animates flesh & mind. The Chinese have shown that flow can be manipulated, science has shown much animal behavior to be guided by an E-M grid, one brain scientist rather famously posited, as he searched for the origin of consciousness, that the area of the brain (Wernicke's) we now use to speak was once used to "hear" that field of energy.

I know my own ability to express comes from being tonally perverse, so much so that Crotone, Italy - home of Pythagoras's ancient commune of learning - was where i first headed on my initial trip to the European continent 40some years ago. Tired & pretentious hippies were all i found instead of the harmonic conversion i sought but, to this day, the Music of the Spheres is at the core of my daily quests.

One of the residents just started playing "All along the Watchtower " by Hendrix.

All sorts of thoughts and visuals popped into my head. All if them made me smile.

There is your magical 

Users who are viewing this thread