What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why the hatred for Philly & Eagles fans? (1 Viewer)

Sunday@1

Footballguy
This is a spinoff to the “Deion rips Eagles fans” thread. I see that there is some hatred not only for the fans but the team as well. I have been to roughly ½ of the stadiums in the league and can tell you the Eagles fans are no worse than any other fan base. The facts are that Philly is a blue collar town and the fans largely represent that tone. I also see/know that each game is sold out with another 50,000 on a waiting list to get a chance at season tickets. What team would not want that from a financial stand point or fan base? Yes, they are loud and sometimes crass but isn’t that how the NFL sells their product? Watch any NFL films piece and they will show the rabid fans going crazy. This is as they say the “NFL experience”. Would it better to be a situation like Miami or Arizona that fills their stadiums with vacationers and/or have 10,000 people dress up like empty seats? Did I hear correctly that the Colts @ Chargers game earlier this season was not a sellout? Are you kidding me? Veterans Stadium and now Lincoln Financial Field are never empty regardless of record.

To echo the other comments regarding the usual Philly drivel ie…, snowballs at Santa, jail in stadium, booing McNabb at the draft. I also believe this has been over blown (beaten to death) by ESPN types as if they say it; it must be true. Of course this is believable to the guy sitting at home in Broken Arrow Oklahoma or in an Iowa cornfield since he only knows what has been beaten into him over the years. The McNabb booing was based on 30 knuckleheads who believed Ricky Williams would be a better pro than McNabb. This is why they are fans while NFL execs are actually working on a Saturday in April. I think that each stadium should have a holding place for fans that are unruly. If you mix hours of consuming alcohol and add in a violent game, bad things can happen. I applaud them for having the stones to control this behavior. It was also reported that the Eagles were contacted by the Bills & Raiders who inquired on how to set up a similar system in their stadiums since they have also reached the point of hooliganism. Again, this is EVERYWHERE. Look at what happened at Wal-Mart this weekend… people lose control at the drop of a hat. For the record, LFF does not have a jail or holding cell in the stadium area.

You can always make a point of crappy behavior but it is an easy story to sell when it comes from Philly. Do they not show Jets & Giants fans booing at the draft every year since forever? Again, the McNabb booing debacle wasn’t a racial issue or anything personal but foolish behavior put in place by a radio station.

Here are things that I have seen/read without it being the lead story on ESPN:

Bottles thrown on the field in Cleveland

Snow balls thrown at Charger players in NYG stadium

Snow balls thrown at ND

Person pulls knife at Redskins stadium

Colorado police report spousal violence is up when Broncos lose

Browns fans cheer as Tony Romo lay on ground after being sacked

Injured players are cheered THROUGH OUT the league (Cleveland just cheered their own player being down)

These are just a minor illustration of what happens through out the NFL weekly. Would you say that those cities are better/ worse than Philly?

The Phillies held a World Series parade this year without incident. There were a million people in downtown Philly and while I’m sure there were some drunkenness, the city survived. Can you say the same for Chicago & Detroit when their hoops teams wins a title?

The point is the Eagles fan base is long and strong. The seats are filled regardless of outcome. What they suffer from (aside a championship) is they care too much. It matters to them. The fans know the deal and have a great sense of the game(s). Some on these boards understand and get it while others choose to be lemmings for the media.

This is a spinoff to the “Deion rips Eagles fans” thread. I see that there is some hatred not only for the fans but the team as well. I have been to roughly ½ of the stadiums in the league and can tell you the Eagles fans are no worse than any other fan base. The facts are that Philly is a blue collar town and the fans largely represent that tone. I also see/know that each game is sold out with another 50,000 on a waiting list to get a chance at season tickets. What team would not want that from a financial stand point or fan base? Yes, they are loud and sometimes crass but isn’t that how the NFL sells their product? Watch any NFL films piece and they will show the rabid fans going crazy. This is as they say the “NFL experience”. Would it better to be a situation like Miami or Arizona that fills their stadiums with vacationers and/or have 10,000 people dress up like empty seats? Did I hear correctly that the Colts @ Chargers game earlier this season was not a sellout? Are you kidding me? Veterans Stadium and now Lincoln Financial Field are never empty regardless of record.To echo the other comments regarding the usual Philly drivel ie…, snowballs at Santa, jail in stadium, booing McNabb at the draft. I also believe this has been over blown (beaten to death) by ESPN types as if they say it; it must be true. Of course this is believable to the guy sitting at home in Broken Arrow Oklahoma or in an Iowa cornfield since he only knows what has been beaten into him over the years. The McNabb booing was based on 30 knuckleheads who believed Ricky Williams would be a better pro than McNabb. This is why they are fans while NFL execs are actually working on a Saturday in April. I think that each stadium should have a holding place for fans that are unruly. If you mix hours of consuming alcohol and add in a violent game, bad things can happen. I applaud them for having the stones to control this behavior. It was also reported that the Eagles were contacted by the Bills & Raiders who inquired on how to set up a similar system in their stadiums since they have also reached the point of hooliganism. Again, this is EVERYWHERE. Look at what happened at Wal-Mart this weekend… people lose control at the drop of a hat. For the record, LFF does not have a jail or holding cell in the stadium area. You can always make a point of crappy behavior but it is an easy story to sell when it comes from Philly. Do they not show Jets & Giants fans booing at the draft every year since forever? Again, the McNabb booing debacle wasn’t a racial issue or anything personal but foolish behavior put in place by a radio station. Here are things that I have seen/read without it being the lead story on ESPN:Bottles thrown on the field in ClevelandSnow balls thrown at Charger players in NYG stadiumSnow balls thrown at NDPerson pulls knife at Redskins stadiumColorado police report spousal violence is up when Broncos loseBrowns fans cheer as Tony Romo lay on ground after being sackedInjured players are cheered THROUGH OUT the league (Cleveland just cheered their own player being down)These are just a minor illustration of what happens through out the NFL weekly. Would you say that those cities are better/ worse than Philly? The Phillies held a World Series parade this year without incident. There were a million people in downtown Philly and while I’m sure there were some drunkenness, the city survived. Can you say the same for Chicago & Detroit when their hoops teams wins a title?The point is the Eagles fan base is long and strong. The seats are filled regardless of outcome. What they suffer from (aside a championship) is they care too much. It matters to them. The fans know the deal and have a great sense of the game(s). Some on these boards understand and get it while others choose to be lemmings for the media.
Philly is the worst. Well-known fact. Just accept it, and you'll be happier in the end.

This is a spinoff to the “Deion rips Eagles fans” thread. I see that there is some hatred not only for the fans but the team as well. I have been to roughly ½ of the stadiums in the league and can tell you the Eagles fans are no worse than any other fan base. The facts are that Philly is a blue collar town and the fans largely represent that tone. I also see/know that each game is sold out with another 50,000 on a waiting list to get a chance at season tickets. What team would not want that from a financial stand point or fan base? Yes, they are loud and sometimes crass but isn’t that how the NFL sells their product? Watch any NFL films piece and they will show the rabid fans going crazy. This is as they say the “NFL experience”. Would it better to be a situation like Miami or Arizona that fills their stadiums with vacationers and/or have 10,000 people dress up like empty seats? Did I hear correctly that the Colts @ Chargers game earlier this season was not a sellout? Are you kidding me? Veterans Stadium and now Lincoln Financial Field are never empty regardless of record.To echo the other comments regarding the usual Philly drivel ie…, snowballs at Santa, jail in stadium, booing McNabb at the draft. I also believe this has been over blown (beaten to death) by ESPN types as if they say it; it must be true. Of course this is believable to the guy sitting at home in Broken Arrow Oklahoma or in an Iowa cornfield since he only knows what has been beaten into him over the years. The McNabb booing was based on 30 knuckleheads who believed Ricky Williams would be a better pro than McNabb. This is why they are fans while NFL execs are actually working on a Saturday in April. I think that each stadium should have a holding place for fans that are unruly. If you mix hours of consuming alcohol and add in a violent game, bad things can happen. I applaud them for having the stones to control this behavior. It was also reported that the Eagles were contacted by the Bills & Raiders who inquired on how to set up a similar system in their stadiums since they have also reached the point of hooliganism. Again, this is EVERYWHERE. Look at what happened at Wal-Mart this weekend… people lose control at the drop of a hat. For the record, LFF does not have a jail or holding cell in the stadium area. You can always make a point of crappy behavior but it is an easy story to sell when it comes from Philly. Do they not show Jets & Giants fans booing at the draft every year since forever? Again, the McNabb booing debacle wasn’t a racial issue or anything personal but foolish behavior put in place by a radio station. Here are things that I have seen/read without it being the lead story on ESPN:Bottles thrown on the field in ClevelandSnow balls thrown at Charger players in NYG stadiumSnow balls thrown at NDPerson pulls knife at Redskins stadiumColorado police report spousal violence is up when Broncos loseBrowns fans cheer as Tony Romo lay on ground after being sackedInjured players are cheered THROUGH OUT the league (Cleveland just cheered their own player being down)These are just a minor illustration of what happens through out the NFL weekly. Would you say that those cities are better/ worse than Philly? The Phillies held a World Series parade this year without incident. There were a million people in downtown Philly and while I’m sure there were some drunkenness, the city survived. Can you say the same for Chicago & Detroit when their hoops teams wins a title?The point is the Eagles fan base is long and strong. The seats are filled regardless of outcome. What they suffer from (aside a championship) is they care too much. It matters to them. The fans know the deal and have a great sense of the game(s). Some on these boards understand and get it while others choose to be lemmings for the media.
Philly is the worst. Well-known fact. Just accept it, and you'll be happier in the end.
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You left out the Jets needing to hire additional security because fans were molesting women in the stairway and Dallas fans booing the National Anthem, but otherwise.... :lol:

You left out the Jets needing to hire additional security because fans were molesting women in the stairway and Dallas fans booing the National Anthem, but otherwise.... :thumbup:
I don't recall Dallas fans booing the National Anthem...when did that happen? I'm not saying you just made that up or anything, I just don't recall that happening.I've hated the Eagles since Buddy Ryan was there, and I've hated their classless fans since they cheered Michael Irvin laying motionless on their field.

You left out the Jets needing to hire additional security because fans were molesting women in the stairway and Dallas fans booing the National Anthem, but otherwise....

:thumbup:
I don't recall Dallas fans booing the National Anthem...when did that happen? I'm not saying you just made that up or anything, I just don't recall that happening.I've hated the Eagles since Buddy Ryan was there, and I've hated their classless fans since they cheered Michael Irvin laying motionless on their field.
I agree, booing (allegedly) an injured Michael Irvin is bad. You must also despise Browns fans then for booing their own player (twice) as they lay injured on the turf. Disgusting, booing any injured player. And Browns fans cheered an injured Romo? Didn't hear that one before. Typical Browns fans. For those keeping score at home, that's 3 for Cleveland, 1 for Philly.Oh, and the OP also left out the fan in Washington, wearing an Emmitt Smith jersey, throwing a smoke bomb on the field right after 9-11 (Monday night game?).

http://www.theinsider.com/news/1195444_Kat...nthem_in_Dallas

One of the few stadiums that had to have a court judge assigned to the stadium to deal with fans...

How many stadiums do you know that have judges assigned to them?

The Vet was a scheissehole....and full of scheisseheads.

One of the few stadiums that had to have a court judge assigned to the stadium to deal with fans...How many stadiums do you know that have judges assigned to them?The Vet was a scheissehole....and full of scheisseheads.
Repeat afte rme and do your homework: The Linc does not have a court or a judge on the premises. That was at the Vet.

You left out the Jets needing to hire additional security because fans were molesting women in the stairway...
This never happened. There is a monumental difference between yelling at women 60 feet below to show their #### and molestation.One is boorish, drunken behavior, the other is a felony.This is not a defense of Jets fans or an indictment of Philly fans, I just don't like seeing lies and/or misinformation being spread.

One of the few stadiums that had to have a court judge assigned to the stadium to deal with fans...

How many stadiums do you know that have judges assigned to them?

The Vet was a scheissehole....and full of scheisseheads.
You're misrepresenting the facts here just a bit.Nobody "assigned" a judge to Veterans Stadium, EVER.

Now I'm not saying it wasn't necessary at the time, because the 700 level was out of control at the time.

BUT...

That entire event was nothing more than a publicity stunt perpetrated by the Judge himself.

Judge Seamus McCafferty proposed the idea of creating the illegal "Sattelite Courtroom" at the Eagles games and presided over it on his own time, not on the city's dime.

He was on the front page of every paper in the city for weeks. Hell, we're still talking about it here on the internet years after the fact, so I guess it served the purpose Judge McCafferty was looking for.

That "courtroom" only lasted as long as it served HIS public ambitions, and that's why it no longer exists.

Here's the rather brief WIKI page on Judge Seamus McCafferty

The Good Judge now serves on the Pa. Supreme Court.

My hatred for Philly and its fans stems back to a Thanksgiving weekend game a few years ago between them and the STeelers. Went with my mom, dad, and two brothers. As were trying to leave, we get surrounded by a crowd and they proceed to shout at my mom and call her a f'ing #####. Truth is, if youre a visiting fan, you cant even enjoy yourself. Ive been to a few at LFF and the #### never stops from first kickoff to final whistle. I understand a few bad apples spoil a bunch but it happens every single time. I can appreciate a good ballbusting at an opposing stadium but they are over the line. Besides Oakland, Philly is probably the worst fanbase.

I know for Steeler games at Heinz, alot of fans (myself included) make it a point to buy visiting fans a beer during the first half because we are there to enjoy ourselves and have a good time. Go into Philly and all you get is an earful for 60 minutes.

Ive been to other stadiums and can honestly say I respect the various fanbases. You will get the occasional drunken idiot, but for the most part, Ive never had a bad experience, except when going to Philly. Theres just too many bad apples.

i find that a good majority of my football internet fights with philly fans.

seems to me a bigger percentage of phillys' fans are turds vs. other teams' fans.

must be that chip the size of Rushmore on their shoulders.

Philly Hater said:
I've hated their classless fans since they cheered Michael Irvin laying motionless on their field.
Well, the feeling is mutual I guess then because I hated the classless way Michael Irvin used to taunt the Philly fans for YEARS everytime he came to town. Celebrating every catch he made, getting away with pushing off all the time, taunting the fans on the sidelines, Karma's a S.O.B. sometimesAnd you know what, Aikman ended his career on the same Vet turf the very next year and was treated with a very respectful ovation when he was leaving the field.

Henry Cabbot Henhouse said:
mudshark said:
You left out the Jets needing to hire additional security because fans were molesting women in the stairway...
This never happened. There is a monumental difference between yelling at women 60 feet below to show their #### and molestation.One is boorish, drunken behavior, the other is a felony.

This is not a defense of Jets fans or an indictment of Philly fans, I just don't like seeing lies and/or misinformation being spread.
I live in the NY media area. My local paper described some of the behavior as "molestation". May have been a story about an isolated incident. Since I can't find any link describing it as such, I'll apologize. However, it extends beyond yelling."The scene at Gate D was markedly different during halftime of the Jets' game against the Pittsburgh Steelers the previous week, when several hundred men congregated on one of the ramps and chanted at the few women in the crowd to bare their breasts. If the women did not comply, plastic beer bottles and spit were launched in their direction. There were about 10 security guards standing near the bottom of the ramp, but the behavior was not stopped."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C1A9619C8B63

eta: I take back my apology: "One clip online shows a woman being groped by a man standing next to her. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/sports/f...all/20fans.html

Philly Hater said:
I've hated their classless fans since they cheered Michael Irvin laying motionless on their field.
Well, the feeling is mutual I guess then because I hated the classless way Michael Irvin used to taunt the Philly fans for YEARS everytime he came to town. Celebrating every catch he made, getting away with pushing off all the time, taunting the fans on the sidelines, Karma's a S.O.B. sometimesAnd you know what, Aikman ended his career on the same Vet turf the very next year and was treated with a very respectful ovation when he was leaving the field.
atta boy...stay classy

Philly Hater said:
Well, the feeling is mutual I guess then because I hated the classless way Michael Irvin used to taunt the Philly fans for YEARS everytime he came to town. Celebrating every catch he made, getting away with pushing off all the time, taunting the fans on the sidelines, Karma's a S.O.B. sometimes
wow. justifying fans cheering the Irvin injury. i dont care how much philly fans hated Irvin, cheering when a player could be seriously hurt shows absolutely no class, or sportsmanship. its a mob mentality. its pathetic.

Philly Hater said:
I have no love for Irvin but, Geesh.They say that realizing you have a problem is the first step correcting it and apparently some Philly fans don't see the problem.

Philly Hater said:
Well, the feeling is mutual I guess then because I hated the classless way Michael Irvin used to taunt the Philly fans for YEARS everytime he came to town. Celebrating every catch he made, getting away with pushing off all the time, taunting the fans on the sidelines, Karma's a S.O.B. sometimes
wow. justifying fans cheering the Irvin injury. i dont care how much philly fans hated Irvin, cheering when a player could be seriously hurt shows absolutely no class, or sportsmanship. its a mob mentality. its pathetic.
So you must really despise Cleveland fans....ya know, 3 times and all. But I agree, its all pathetic. Except Philly's the one that always gets brought up.

poopdawg said:
My hatred for Philly and its fans stems back to a Thanksgiving weekend game a few years ago between them and the STeelers. Went with my mom, dad, and two brothers. As were trying to leave, we get surrounded by a crowd and they proceed to shout at my mom and call her a f'ing #####. Truth is, if youre a visiting fan, you cant even enjoy yourself. Ive been to a few at LFF and the #### never stops from first kickoff to final whistle. I understand a few bad apples spoil a bunch but it happens every single time. I can appreciate a good ballbusting at an opposing stadium but they are over the line. Besides Oakland, Philly is probably the worst fanbase.
Not sure I see the problem here. :lmao:

I agree with the OP. The hatred for the Eagles and their fans is silly. This team hasn't won a title in more than 40 years. They should be pitied more than hated. Their fans come from a beleaguered city that needed the AFL's Soul and the Phillies to get them out of their decades-long title drought.

But Eagles fans still have nothing, and they sure aren't getting it this year. Are they really so important that they should be attacked all the time? They're just "a team" in the NFL history books.

poopdawg said:
Exactly

poopdawg said:
And that's the problem with Philly fans.

I agree with the OP. The hatred for the Eagles and their fans is silly. This team hasn't won a title in more than 40 years. They should be pitied more than hated. Their fans come from a beleaguered city that needed the AFL's Soul and the Phillies to get them out of their decades-long title drought.

But Eagles fans still have nothing, and they sure aren't getting it this year. Are they really so important that they should be attacked all the time? They're just "a team" in the NFL history books.
dammit i wish i could ignore philly fans! they're good at picking fights, i guess.

Philly Hater said:
So you must really despise Cleveland fans....ya know, 3 times and all. But I agree, its all pathetic. Except Philly's the one that always gets brought up.
They've earned it. Probably all stems from the fact that they are bitter and jealous that they're not New Jersey.

i must say as a bears fan i am disappointed still every time the opposing QB finishes the game after the '85 season, as they said themselves, if you finished the game against them, the job wasn't done.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Obi Wan was clearly speaking of Philly fans here.

I sit in the section the Giants assign to the visiting teams "friends and family". For the first 14 rows of that section, it is Giants season ticket holders, then for the last 20 something rows, it is usually the opposing teams fans. I have met fans from around the country, from almost every team in the league. Aside from the random intoxicated fan, Philly fans are consistently the worst behaved. They act like complete animals. I have zero issues with you going to a stadium to cheer your team on. That's not what Eagles fans do. The majority of them are looking for trouble.

I've been to over a dozen Giants/Eagles games in Philly. It's the same down there. I have been involved in several altercations just walking into the Vet/Linc. Almost all the time it is because I'm wearing a Giants hat.

Eagles fans have earned the title.

poopdawg said:
Not sure I see the problem here. :shrug:
And that's the problem with Philly fans.
Ugh. :bag: I guess it's the blue collar and the large urban area that helps lead to the thugdom. Most of the other big NFL citie either A: Don't care (SD), B: Have large white collar fanbase (at least at the stadium..NY), or C: Have been so pathetic for so long they just get a pass (Cleve, Det)I don't think it should really be a big surprise when fans from a larger urban metropolis have more "thugdom" at their games then teams from smaller, more white-collar towns. BUt it's pretty sad when you paint an entire fanbase (I hate Philly fans) because of the actions of some (admiteddly higher %, but still only SOME). When you do that...you're using almost the EXACT same justifications and reasoning that many racists use to justify thier own attitudes and actions.Thugdom exists everywhere, in every NFL city. It's just easier to find in Philly. But there are plenty of fans there that will share a drink with the Aikman jersey wearing cowboy fan.

As I made my way to Alltel Stadium in Jacksonville before the Patriots / Eagles superbowl, I was taken back by how many of the Eagles fans travelled in large packs and felt the need to be very vocal and confrontational towards anyone not wearing Eagles fan gear.

Needless to say, they were significantly quieter after the game.

I have no problem with the rest of the world hating Philly fans....my problem is with the media and their agenda to continue to propagate that stereotype. They enjoy positioning Philly and the fans as the villains and they can't help but mention Santa, snowballs and booing as often as possible because it have now become part of their sheep mentality.

Here's a list of incidents that occured in other cities by other fan bases.....I bet you haven't heard about any of these in a while, if at all:

* August 26, 1986: A knife with a five-inch blade was thrown at rookie Wally Joyner of the California Angels after beating the Yankees. Joyner was grazed on the left arm but was not seriously harmed.

* September 24, 1999: A fan jumped out of the stands and tackled Astros right fielder Bill Spiers in the bottom of the sixth inning. Spiers had a welt under his left eye, a bloody nose and whiplash.

* November 24, 1999: Broncos fans throw snowballs with batteries in them at Raiders.

* May 16, 2000: Backup Dodgers catcher Chad Kreuter was hit in the head by a fan, who also stole his cap. Kreuter and several Dodgers went into the stands and a brawl followed.

* August 29, 2002: In the Majors' final game before the strike deadline, fans threw foul balls back onto the field and chanted "Don't Strike! Don't Strike!'' as the Anaheim Angels beat the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 6-1.

* September 19, 2002: Kansas City coach Tom Gamboa was attacked by a father and son who came out of the stands at the same stadium, then called Comiskey Park.

* April 15, 2003: A fan ran on the field at U.S. Cellular Field and attempted to tackle an umpire during a game between the White Sox and visiting Kansas City.

* April 19, 2003: Texas Rangers right fielder Carl Everett was beaned in the back of the head with a cell phone in Oakland.

* April 24, 2003: A fan was charged with misdemeanor reckless conduct for throwing a cell phone, which hit San Diego Padres third baseman Sean Burroughs, during a Chicago Cubs game.

* April --, 2003: A fan almost bit off a police officer's pinkie finger when the officer tried to help Coliseum security break up an argument between fans.

* June 10, 2003: One Orioles fan threw cork at Sosa from the stands and another ran onto the field throwing cork at him.

* July 8, 2003: An 8-year-old boy at the Oakland Athletics' game against Tampa Bay had burns on one of his legs when another fan tossed a cherry bomb from the upper deck of the Coliseum.

* September 20, 2003: A Giants fan in the Dodger Stadium parking lot shot a Dodgers fan. "Apparently we have multiple suspects who are Giants fans who got into an argument with a Dodger fan," Officer Adriana Sanchez, a police spokeswoman said.

* December 24, 2003: Two fans at an Islanders game, dressed up as Santa Claus due to a promotion which invited fans to dress up as Santa Claus for free admission to the game against the Philadelphia Flyers, were permitted to parade across the ice between periods, along with the almost one thousand other Santa-fans. The two removed their red jackets to reveal jerseys of the rival Rangers, and were knocked to the ice and had their shirts ripped off by Islanders fans.

* September 11, 2005: Baltimore Ravens fans cheer quarterback Kyle Boller reeling in pain due to a hyper-extended left toe, after being tackled by Larry Triplett.

* September 15, 2005: Ohio State tight end Ryan Hamby received hate letters since dropping a sure touchdown pass during the Buckeyes' loss to Texas.

* September 22, 2005: Several Giants fans spewed New Orleans Saints fans with taunts about Hurricane Katrina during a game at Giants Stadium. "Where's your swimmies? I hope you have your swimmies!" one fan asked a New Orleans resident. "You deserve what you got," another said. "New Orleans people are stupid."

* October 16, 2005: Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Tommy Maddox fumbled a snap, threw three interceptions, including one in overtime that was returned for a touchdown against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Fans subsequently threw trash on his lawn.

* October 25, 2005: Houston Astro Craig Biggio�s wife Patty was slapped by a White Sox fan after Scott Podsednik hit a game-winning homerun.

* March 22, 2006: Philadelphia Flyer R.J. Umberger was hit from behind and spent considerable time on the ice before getting to his feet and skating off under his own power while being booed by New York Rangers fans.

I have pages and pages of incidents just like these, documented to attempt to counter the "minor" Santa, snowball and Philly booing argument. These are only through 2006....there are many, many more. But hey, Philly fans booed Santa in 1968.....

Stop being sheep and try to hate Philly fans for reasons other than what the media TELLS you to hate them for.

* December 24, 2003: Two fans at an Islanders game, dressed up as Santa Claus due to a promotion which invited fans to dress up as Santa Claus for free admission to the game against the Philadelphia Flyers, were permitted to parade across the ice between periods, along with the almost one thousand other Santa-fans. The two removed their red jackets to reveal jerseys of the rival Rangers, and were knocked to the ice and had their shirts ripped off by Islanders fans.

:shock:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

As funny as that is, that's a bad example. It's one thing to treat rival fans badly, but you could make a very strong case that the Rangers fans started the fracas in a most obnoxious and ridiulous manner. (BUT EXCEEDINGLY BALLSY! :goodposting: )

* December 24, 2003: Two fans at an Islanders game, dressed up as Santa Claus due to a promotion which invited fans to dress up as Santa Claus for free admission to the game against the Philadelphia Flyers, were permitted to parade across the ice between periods, along with the almost one thousand other Santa-fans. The two removed their red jackets to reveal jerseys of the rival Rangers, and were knocked to the ice and had their shirts ripped off by Islanders fans. :shock: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: As funny as that is, that's a bad example. It's one thing to treat rival fans badly, but you could make a very strong case that the Rangers fans started the fracas in a most obnoxious and ridiulous manner. (BUT EXCEEDINGLY BALLSY! :D )
Not sure how it's a bad example. A different fan base attacks someone physically at a sporting event...doesn't matter who started it. If it happened in Philly, the spin is that the classless Philly fans beat up two guys in the opposing teams jersey. If it happened elsewhere but the two fans were wearing Philly jerseys, the spin would be that those troublemaking Philly fans enticed and started an altercation at another teams stadium. See how the Philly fan spin works with the media?

Why I hate philly fans.

I live in south Jersey which is full of Eagles fans so I see it first hand outside of the stadium....on a daily basis.

They are bitter because they can't win a championship BUT as soon as they win 2 games in a row the fans are all talking smack about how they are the greatest. Talk smack after you prove yourself. I enjoyed feeding crow to all of them after the Giants beat them down....and you would not believe the trash talk leading up to that game...you would have thought THEY were the superbowl champs.

My business partner went to Lambeau to see the Packers two years ago. They stayed for a few days leading up to the game and met many of th eplayers after practicec. Al Harris in particular was friendly and when my friends mentioned that they were from philly All Harris said that is THE ONLY place where he won't let his mother go to watch him play because of the harrassing fans.....THE ONLY PLACE!

Philly fans are the most rabid fans in the league. I think their love for their team may be unparalleled but that is no excuse for being classless a-holes.

I have no problem with the rest of the world hating Philly fans....my problem is with the media and their agenda to continue to propagate that stereotype. They enjoy positioning Philly and the fans as the villains and they can't help but mention Santa, snowballs and booing as often as possible because it have now become part of their sheep mentality. Here's a list of incidents that occured in other cities by other fan bases.....I bet you haven't heard about any of these in a while, if at all:* August 26, 1986: A knife with a five-inch blade was thrown at rookie Wally Joyner of the California Angels after beating the Yankees. Joyner was grazed on the left arm but was not seriously harmed. * September 24, 1999: A fan jumped out of the stands and tackled Astros right fielder Bill Spiers in the bottom of the sixth inning. Spiers had a welt under his left eye, a bloody nose and whiplash. * November 24, 1999: Broncos fans throw snowballs with batteries in them at Raiders. * May 16, 2000: Backup Dodgers catcher Chad Kreuter was hit in the head by a fan, who also stole his cap. Kreuter and several Dodgers went into the stands and a brawl followed. * August 29, 2002: In the Majors' final game before the strike deadline, fans threw foul balls back onto the field and chanted "Don't Strike! Don't Strike!'' as the Anaheim Angels beat the Tampa Bay Devil Rays 6-1. * September 19, 2002: Kansas City coach Tom Gamboa was attacked by a father and son who came out of the stands at the same stadium, then called Comiskey Park. * April 15, 2003: A fan ran on the field at U.S. Cellular Field and attempted to tackle an umpire during a game between the White Sox and visiting Kansas City. * April 19, 2003: Texas Rangers right fielder Carl Everett was beaned in the back of the head with a cell phone in Oakland. * April 24, 2003: A fan was charged with misdemeanor reckless conduct for throwing a cell phone, which hit San Diego Padres third baseman Sean Burroughs, during a Chicago Cubs game. * April --, 2003: A fan almost bit off a police officer's pinkie finger when the officer tried to help Coliseum security break up an argument between fans. * June 10, 2003: One Orioles fan threw cork at Sosa from the stands and another ran onto the field throwing cork at him. * July 8, 2003: An 8-year-old boy at the Oakland Athletics' game against Tampa Bay had burns on one of his legs when another fan tossed a cherry bomb from the upper deck of the Coliseum. * September 20, 2003: A Giants fan in the Dodger Stadium parking lot shot a Dodgers fan. "Apparently we have multiple suspects who are Giants fans who got into an argument with a Dodger fan," Officer Adriana Sanchez, a police spokeswoman said. * December 24, 2003: Two fans at an Islanders game, dressed up as Santa Claus due to a promotion which invited fans to dress up as Santa Claus for free admission to the game against the Philadelphia Flyers, were permitted to parade across the ice between periods, along with the almost one thousand other Santa-fans. The two removed their red jackets to reveal jerseys of the rival Rangers, and were knocked to the ice and had their shirts ripped off by Islanders fans. * September 11, 2005: Baltimore Ravens fans cheer quarterback Kyle Boller reeling in pain due to a hyper-extended left toe, after being tackled by Larry Triplett. * September 15, 2005: Ohio State tight end Ryan Hamby received hate letters since dropping a sure touchdown pass during the Buckeyes' loss to Texas. * September 22, 2005: Several Giants fans spewed New Orleans Saints fans with taunts about Hurricane Katrina during a game at Giants Stadium. "Where's your swimmies? I hope you have your swimmies!" one fan asked a New Orleans resident. "You deserve what you got," another said. "New Orleans people are stupid." * October 16, 2005: Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Tommy Maddox fumbled a snap, threw three interceptions, including one in overtime that was returned for a touchdown against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Fans subsequently threw trash on his lawn. * October 25, 2005: Houston Astro Craig Biggio�s wife Patty was slapped by a White Sox fan after Scott Podsednik hit a game-winning homerun. * March 22, 2006: Philadelphia Flyer R.J. Umberger was hit from behind and spent considerable time on the ice before getting to his feet and skating off under his own power while being booed by New York Rangers fans. I have pages and pages of incidents just like these, documented to attempt to counter the "minor" Santa, snowball and Philly booing argument. These are only through 2006....there are many, many more. But hey, Philly fans booed Santa in 1968.....Stop being sheep and try to hate Philly fans for reasons other than what the media TELLS you to hate them for.
I hate pretty much everything about the media, so I rarely listen to much they say. Every one of my experiences has been firsthand.

I don't really care about individual little incidents by individual people. Every team has its borderline criminal extremists.

Philly fans (not just football, in all sports) are the absolute worst because they boo EVERYTHING. They are horrible, horrible fans.

Unless Duce Staley is still on the team and I just didn't realize it and they're all chanting "Duuuuuuuuce", any time you put it on a Philly home game you hear it all the friggin' time.

I actually used to like the Iggles when I was a kid. Not my favorite team, but I enjoyed watching them. Now, I root against them any time they even start sniffing a championship. Their fans don't deserve it.

Why I hate philly fans.I live in south Jersey which is full of Eagles fans so I see it first hand outside of the stadium....on a daily basis.They are bitter because they can't win a championship BUT as soon as they win 2 games in a row the fans are all talking smack about how they are the greatest. Talk smack after you prove yourself. I enjoyed feeding crow to all of them after the Giants beat them down....and you would not believe the trash talk leading up to that game...you would have thought THEY were the superbowl champs.My business partner went to Lambeau to see the Packers two years ago. They stayed for a few days leading up to the game and met many of th eplayers after practicec. Al Harris in particular was friendly and when my friends mentioned that they were from philly All Harris said that is THE ONLY place where he won't let his mother go to watch him play because of the harrassing fans.....THE ONLY PLACE!Philly fans are the most rabid fans in the league. I think their love for their team may be unparalleled but that is no excuse for being classless a-holes.
Sure, hating a team because they talk trash and have a chip on their shoulder makes sense....But that's still a far cry from despising the ENTIRE fan base and labeling them classless.By the way, Al Harris was booed here regularly because he committed multiple pass interferences per game on a regular basis! He was NOT a fan favorite and his take on Philly may be somewhat biased....especially since his new frame of reference are the Green Bay fans!

I hate pretty much everything about the media, so I rarely listen to much they say. Every one of my experiences has been firsthand.

Are your firsthand experiences with EAGLES fans or Philly fans in general? And yes, there is a difference....

Philly Hater said:
mudshark said:
You left out the Jets needing to hire additional security because fans were molesting women in the stairway and Dallas fans booing the National Anthem, but otherwise.... :confused:
Cheering Irvin was classless but looking back knowing he's ok......it couldn't have happened to a better person. That guy is lower than Deion.

I don't really care about individual little incidents by individual people. Every team has its borderline criminal extremists.Philly fans (not just football, in all sports) are the absolute worst because they boo EVERYTHING. They are horrible, horrible fans.Unless Duce Staley is still on the team and I just didn't realize it and they're all chanting "Duuuuuuuuce", any time you put it on a Philly home game you hear it all the friggin' time.I actually used to like the Iggles when I was a kid. Not my favorite team, but I enjoyed watching them. Now, I root against them any time they even start sniffing a championship. Their fans don't deserve it.
So, you equate booing with being a horrible fan? Watching the NFL Sunday ticket each week has taught me that EVERY fan base boos their team at one time or another. Labeling one fan base as horrible because you are told that they boo MORE than everyone else is weak.And by the way, those "little individual incidents" are not treated that way when they happen in Philly....which is the whole point.Do I boo when LJ Smith runs a horrible route and consistently fumbles and drops balls right in his hands? Absolutely. Do I cheer when he makes a key block to spring Westbrook for a TD? Louder than anyone....

* December 24, 2003: Two fans at an Islanders game, dressed up as Santa Claus due to a promotion which invited fans to dress up as Santa Claus for free admission to the game against the Philadelphia Flyers, were permitted to parade across the ice between periods, along with the almost one thousand other Santa-fans. The two removed their red jackets to reveal jerseys of the rival Rangers, and were knocked to the ice and had their shirts ripped off by Islanders fans. ;) ;) :cry: :lmao: As funny as that is, that's a bad example. It's one thing to treat rival fans badly, but you could make a very strong case that the Rangers fans started the fracas in a most obnoxious and ridiulous manner. (BUT EXCEEDINGLY BALLSY! :confused: )
Not sure how it's a bad example. A different fan base attacks someone physically at a sporting event...doesn't matter who started it. If it happened in Philly, the spin is that the classless Philly fans beat up two guys in the opposing teams jersey. If it happened elsewhere but the two fans were wearing Philly jerseys, the spin would be that those troublemaking Philly fans enticed and started an altercation at another teams stadium. See how the Philly fan spin works with the media?
I'm not laughing at the spin, but at the idiots who would intentionally ridicule/entice a much larger group into an altercation. It's one thng to where your jersey into the opposing stadium (totally cool)...it's another to worm your way onto their field (ice in this case) so that you can portray you own colors duing a halftime celebration. While the assaut is not justified, it certainly was provoked.Put it another way....go to any urban downtown and start shouting about how you hate black people (or white people...it doesn't matter). When you get beat up, we'll charge them with assault...but I'll still call you an idiot and a racist pig who quite possibly deserved what he got.

Philly Hater said:
mudshark said:
You left out the Jets needing to hire additional security because fans were molesting women in the stairway and Dallas fans booing the National Anthem, but otherwise.... :rolleyes:
Cheering Irvin was classless but looking back knowing he's ok......it couldn't have happened to a better person. That guy is lower than Deion.
I don't condone cheering an injured player, but you need to put the entire situation into context. Irvin had just caught a ball for a first down and did his whole dance and first down signal shanigans...the next play he gets hit and goes down. The fans cheer the hit and bascially cheer the fact that "he got his". Watch it on youtube...as he remains on the ground and the gravity of the situation becomes apparent, there are no more cheers.ANY situation can be spun in a negative or positive way. There is never a positive spin on an incident involving Philly fans and that is why the rest of the sports world fans dislike Philly fans....they are basically "taught" to by the media. And then that only magnifies the various "first hand" experiences....

Why I hate philly fans.I live in south Jersey which is full of Eagles fans so I see it first hand outside of the stadium....on a daily basis.They are bitter because they can't win a championship BUT as soon as they win 2 games in a row the fans are all talking smack about how they are the greatest. Talk smack after you prove yourself. I enjoyed feeding crow to all of them after the Giants beat them down....and you would not believe the trash talk leading up to that game...you would have thought THEY were the superbowl champs.My business partner went to Lambeau to see the Packers two years ago. They stayed for a few days leading up to the game and met many of th eplayers after practicec. Al Harris in particular was friendly and when my friends mentioned that they were from philly All Harris said that is THE ONLY place where he won't let his mother go to watch him play because of the harrassing fans.....THE ONLY PLACE!Philly fans are the most rabid fans in the league. I think their love for their team may be unparalleled but that is no excuse for being classless a-holes.
Sure, hating a team because they talk trash and have a chip on their shoulder makes sense....But that's still a far cry from despising the ENTIRE fan base and labeling them classless.By the way, Al Harris was booed here regularly because he committed multiple pass interferences per game on a regular basis! He was NOT a fan favorite and his take on Philly may be somewhat biased....especially since his new frame of reference are the Green Bay fans!
Right, so then boo AL Harris, but have enough class to realize that his mother is a person who is watching her son play.....no need to harrass her and throw things at her and make her feel unsafe.Deal with it dude, the reputation is well deserved and well earned.

mudshark said:
You left out the Jets needing to hire additional security because fans were molesting women in the stairway and Dallas fans booing the National Anthem, but otherwise....

:unsure:
If by Molesting you mean shouting out to girls "Show me your ###'s" then they need to shut down Mardi Gras....

I went to a Miami game a few years back and not only did they do this but, the girls flashed AND made out with eachother...

This was blown out of proportion but, carry on.

Are your firsthand experiences with EAGLES fans or Philly fans in general? And yes, there is a difference....
It has been with both the Eagles and Flyers. Phillies not so much. Baseball crowds are different as a whole. Seem to be more family oriented and less likely to cause a problem. With that said, I have only been to one game between the Phillies and Pirates in Philly.

Another reason to hate Philly fans: they're whiners.

Users who are viewing this thread