What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wife's car hit, guy drove off, caught on security cameras. Works there. Follow along, advice, schtick. (2 Viewers)

culdeus

Footballguy
Yesterday evening wife's M3 hit me with a security alert, texted wife she went out and didn't initially see anything.

Then she saw damage to the rear bumper when looked at end of day. Video pinned it to a maintenance worker, who fessed up the next day and gave my wife his name/number.

Claims he got out and looked and saw nothing. Didn't look very hard I guess.

Text the guy and said the photo estimate for the shop I use said $2000 easy and would he want to run insurance on this. Texted back "I don't carry insurance on this Van, I use it for work"

In Texas liability insurance follows the driver, not the car.

I responded back to drop a check off for $2000 tomorrow, and reminded him about how liability policies work in Texas.

Gonna be awkward because wife sees this guy every day. Advice/schtick welcome.

Why wouldn’t you get an actual estimate rather than just a photo that gives a ballpark? If I were you, I wouldn’t settle for that, and if I were him, there’s no way I’m paying that without something more concrete.
Photo estimates are a COVID thing in Texas and totally ok.

I predict getting a check for 2k will be an exciting challenge!

In Texas you either turn over cash or your policy. He hasn't said outright that he carries no liability coverage (which is a crime).
And if he doesn't do either?
File a police report. Then either file it as under or uninsured on your own insurance

Or small claims. The fact we know who this is makes small claims viable I guess. Most people don't get that chance.

I would never do the "pay me cash" thing. You let time pass without formally documenting the accident with a police report and/or insurance claim and you're just leaving the door open for him to deny or change the story. In Texas you're required to carry 25k in property damage insurance as part of your liability insurance:

Texas law requires you to have at least $30,000 of coverage for injuries per person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for property damage. This is called 30/60/25 coverage.

I would report this to my insurance company and let them deal with it. It's one of the reasons you pay for insurance. In the couple instances I've had to deal with a situation such as this I've let my insurance handle it and it's worked out well each time.

Perfectly normal to have somebody just cut you a check rather than get insurance companies involved. Too many of you act like insurance companies have your best interest in mind, they dont. They just want your passive recurring income, anything else and you are a hinderence to them.

Yesterday evening wife's M3 hit me with a security alert, texted wife she went out and didn't initially see anything.

Then she saw damage to the rear bumper when looked at end of day. Video pinned it to a maintenance worker, who fessed up the next day and gave my wife his name/number.

Text the guy and said the photo estimate for the shop I use said $2000 easy and would he want to run insurance on this. Texted back "I don't carry insurance on this Van, I use it for work"

I responded back to drop a check off for $2000 tomorrow, and reminded him about how liability policies work in Texas.

If the guy doesn't have insurance, your insurance company will cover under the uninsured/underinsured driver clause. Instead of making the guy pay the $2000 (which he probably doesn't have), you should do the guy a solid and just run it through your insurance and have him pay your deductible.

I mean I have this guy's number. Planning to send a gentle reminder here that he hasn't said how he plans to take care of this.

If the guy doesn't have insurance, your insurance company will cover under the uninsured/underinsured driver clause. Instead of making the guy pay the $2000 (which he probably doesn't have), you should do the guy a solid and just run it through your insurance and have him pay your deductible.

He will for sure get a ticket and points this way if uninsured. They screwed with the laws on this finally and the penalties are fairly bad if you get caught in this situation. Especially if it's a drive off. To file this I'd have to make a police report.

Perfectly normal to have somebody just cut you a check rather than get insurance companies involved. Too many of you act like insurance companies have your best interest in mind, they dont. They just want your passive recurring income, anything else and you are a hinderence to them.
So LiMu Emu, the Gecko, and Flo and Jamie have been lying to me THIS ENTIRE TIME?!?!

Send pictures of his wife and kids (probably can find on social media) to him as well as a picture of his house (can use zillow). Tell him "Nice family ya got there pal." Then send him a picture of the damage on the car. "Man this damage sucks. Hope this gets resolved in a timely manner..."

He will for sure get a ticket and points this way if uninsured. They screwed with the laws on this finally and the penalties are fairly bad if you get caught in this situation. Especially if it's a drive off. To file this I'd have to make a police report.

File the report and say you don't know when the car got hit. You noticed it on [pick a date]. You don't have to throw the guy under the bus to get your insurance to cover this.

File the report and say you don't know when the car got hit. You noticed it on [pick a date]. You don't have to throw the guy under the bus to get your insurance to cover this.

That will hurt my points more. You get a vanishing deductible if you can pin it on someone, and they can confirm you didn't do it yourself. Given the guy drove off, I'm not inclined to give him a break.

Update, will go ahead and file a police report. In Texas if they decide to cite this guy it's a massive pain in the *** now. Have to fill out a SR-22 form and mail it in monthly to confirm you have coverage, plus the cost to register your vehicle goes up by 250 a year for 3 years, and whatever fines are imposed.

That will hurt my points more. You get a vanishing deductible if you can pin it on someone, and they can confirm you didn't do it yourself. Given the guy drove off, I'm not inclined to give him a break.

Your the type of prick I would key your car on a weekly basis.

Really? Dude hits wife's car and drives off, only owns up to it with video. His bumper is ****ed, and the alarm went off on our car so he knew he hit it. And I'm the *******?

So LiMu Emu, the Gecko, and Flo and Jamie have been lying to me THIS ENTIRE TIME?!?!
Doug is a straight shooter though. F that emu

Really? Dude hits wife's car and drives off, only owns up to it with video. His bumper is ****ed, and the alarm went off on our car so he knew he hit it. And I'm the *******?

Yeah, the dude could have a sick kid at home and really doesn't have the funds to pay for a repair or insurance and is hanging on by a string and you're worried about hurting your points driving a BMW. I think I might puncture the run flats too if I were him. Those are expensive.

Yeah, the dude could have a sick kid at home and really doesn't have the funds to pay for a repair or insurance and is hanging on by a string and you're worried about hurting your points driving a BMW. I think I might puncture the run flats too if I were him. Those are expensive.

Trollling? Driving without insurance is a crime. Driving isn't a right, you have to prove you can handle your responsibility.

Trollling? Driving without insurance is a crime. Driving isn't a right, you have to prove you can handle your responsibility.
Insurance fraud is a crime too, but he doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

Update: Security at work notified HR of this situation without anyone on my side asking. HR lady knows my wife well, so that's awkward.

Also called the local PD and asked do I file as a hit and run or what? They said yes, it's still a hit and run if person comes forward later in this situation and put it in as that. Haven't filed it.

Wow. I would handle this exactly like the OP is doing. Filing a claim with my insurance will likely only hurt me with a claim and a potential for raised rates. Not having insurance is illegal. I would, however, get an estimate of repair. Since the guy works there, I would even allow him to make payments until we are squared. I would only pursue the insurance claim if that didn't work.

Last edited:

The only issue with this is the insurance company will drag their feet and have you pay the deductible to have the work done. Deductible could be 250, 500, or even 1000.

Users who are viewing this thread