What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Brady Retire? Has he played his last NFL game? (1 Viewer)

Will Brady Retire?

• 10% chance

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • 20% chance

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • 30% chance

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • 40% chance

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • 50% chance

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • 60% chance

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • 70% chance

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • 80% chance

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • 90% chance

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • 100% chance

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Plant your flag. 

“Speaking on his "Let's Go" podcast Monday, Tom Brady said his role as a husband and father is playing a big part in his decision on whether to continue his playing career.

Referencing his wife, Brady said, "It pains her to see me get hit out there. And she deserves what she needs from me as a husband, and my kids deserve what they need from me as a dad. ... I said this a few years ago, it's what relationships are all about. It's not always what I want. It's what we want as a family. And I'm gonna spend a lot of time with them and figure out in the future what's next.” It sure sounds like Brady is taking this retirement talk pretty seriously. “The team doesn’t deserve anything less than my best," Brady continued. "And if I feel like I'm not committed to that, or I can't play at a championship level, then you gotta give someone else a chance to play. And, you know, we'll see. Playing football I get so much joy from. I love it. But not playing football, there's a lot of joy in that for me also now, too, with my kids getting older and seeing them develop and grow. So all these things need to be considered, and they will be.” We wouldn't expect a decision any time soon.

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter”

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy wife happy life. I say 70% chance. He’ll get the itch, then he’ll get the glare. Then a few years later he’ll get the yellow coat & give us all a speech. 

Obviously I have no idea but I downplay the importance of the fact that he is (and can) still play at a high level. If I were him, I would be thinking more about the supporting cast, the average age of that roster and the injuries that started to mount this year. Sure some of them (like Godwin) are normal football stuff but from his arrival, it's been a case of Ringo's All-star Band and realistically, how long can you keep the band together? If you think "the plan" is more likely to unravel next year than hold together all year, why come back?

Obviously I have no idea but I downplay the importance of the fact that he is (and can) still play at a high level. If I were him, I would be thinking more about the supporting cast, the average age of that roster and the injuries that started to mount this year. Sure some of them (like Godwin) are normal football stuff but from his arrival, it's been a case of Ringo's All-star Band and realistically, how long can you keep the band together? If you think "the plan" is more likely to unravel next year than hold together all year, why come back?
It's a good point...we are all speculating on whether or not what drives him is "I just want to keep playing competitive football" versus "I want to keep playing as long as I have a measurably non-zero chance of obtaining more rings".

I think he's posturing to either get Arians tossed and hand pick a new head coach or facilitate a trade. Lots of rumors that this year was not all fun and games like last year. Brady didn't look happy during the Rams game . . . he looked very similar in his last game with the Patriots. Wouldn't it be crazy if he ended up with the Giants and McDaniels as his head coach? His wife wants to live in a major city with her involvement in the fashion industry. It may sound crazy, but I could see it happen.

Good post…this will play a big part in his decision…if he plays next year it will probably be his last and I only see him doing it if he feels he has a legit chance at a ring…I did not like Tampa’s decision to bring the whole team back but if they are gonna keep Brady they will need to make decisions based solely on 2022.

Said 30%...given the question is just "will he retire" and not giving a year...I should have just said 100%...because yeah...eventually he will retire.

I think 60%.

He has nothing to prove being the undisputed GOAT, father time never loses, and the Bucs clearly have holes that they need to fix.  This is good time for Brady to walk away.  Whether he does it......we'll see.

If he retires his last pass would be a 9 yarder to Cameron Brate and his last TD pass would be the 55 yard bomb to Evans beating Ramsey to tie the game. 

I don’t think he’s retiring just yet with the disappointing loss, particularly given the team was missing a few key guys down the stretch. Probably wants to give it one more go at another ring before hanging it up.

Are we sure that Brady still has the same competitive fire that drove him for all of these years?  I'm sure that he still would like to play and has a drive to be the best, but I feel like he may have lost a little bit of that existential force that has driven him in his career.  And good for him is he has.  I just get the sense that he is starting to let in a little bit more to his life and realizes how much he has accomplished and has a little bit of gratitude and satisfaction with himself and realizes that being number 1 at football doesn't necessarily have to be the only thing in his life and that could influence his decision.  

I'm happy that at 45 and after playing 20+ seasons Brady finally realizes he has a wife and kids to think about. Epiphany better late than never

Wouldn't it be crazy if he ended up with the Giants and McDaniels as his head coach? His wife wants to live in a major city with her involvement in the fashion industry. It may sound crazy, but I could see it happen.
As a Giants fan I would have no idea how to process this. 

As far as I know he never done this retirement dance publicly so I think their is something to it and I feel pretty sure his wife would like him to step away. However I don't think he's ready, may never be, but my guess is he'll hash it out the family/wife and all parties will be on board for one final run.

Are we sure that Brady still has the same competitive fire that drove him for all of these years?  I'm sure that he still would like to play and has a drive to be the best, but I feel like he may have lost a little bit of that existential force that has driven him in his career.  And good for him is he has.  I just get the sense that he is starting to let in a little bit more to his life and realizes how much he has accomplished and has a little bit of gratitude and satisfaction with himself and realizes that being number 1 at football doesn't necessarily have to be the only thing in his life and that could influence his decision.  
From what I have observed, something changed in the last few weeks. Early to mid-season, Brady was talking about playing forever. He signed an extension to give the Bucs some cap relief this year to help the team out. He started talking that he could play until he was 50. Even during their bye week, he said he was laser focused on football. No trips, no outings, no dinners, no movies . . . just football. Then wildcard weekend popped up and there was a Wickensham article where the writer thought Brady would retire. That took off, and now lots of people are wondering if that's true.

It doesn't sound like Brady has been all that enamored with Arians. And Leftwich probably was along for the ride with Brady the unofficial OC of the team. We all know that Brady wants his contingent of guys that he trusts on the field, and with Godwin hurt and Brown a toxic mess, he didn't have that at the end. I am not really understanding the Giselle angle. She's been after him to retire for many years. And then in a week Brady suddenly caves? I find that odd.

I have also heard discussion that he would potentially retire to spend more time with his kids, especially his oldest, who will be 15 by the start of the season. But his son lives with his mother (Bridget Moynahan), who IIRC splits time between California and New York. Lots of people have started connecting dots and think New York would be a spot the family could wind up in. (That goes against what Brady said in not ever wanting to live in the Northeast in a cold climate ever again.)

I have also heard rumors / speculation / people with hot takes suggesting Brady wants to end his career with the 49ers. But Shanahan has seemingly passed on Brady twice . . . once in a potential trade with the Patriots (allegedly) and once when he hit the free agent market. The Niners already have a QB they don't want in Jimmy G and just burned a boatload of draft picks to select Lance. Would the Niners bring in Brady for a year and let Lance develop more?

Tampa only has about $10 million in cap space, likely will be without Godwin (FA), no longer have AB (cra-cray), and Gronk and Suh each had dummy year contracts and would need real contracts to come back. Fournette, Jones, Bernard, Howard, JPP are all free agents. The point being, they have a lot of mouths to feed, and Brady may not want back to Tampa, probably even less so if Arians is the head coach. If Tampa decides to move on from Tom after 6/1, they would eat $32 to $40 million in dead cap space.

No matter what, it's a complicated situation.

Any reference to Ringo Starr and his All Star Band deserves special credit. :thumbup:

I am not really understanding the Giselle angle. She's been after him to XXX for many years. And then in a week Brady suddenly caves? I find that odd.
Sounds like any marriage, minus the 7 Super Bowls and millions of dollars in the bank.

Sounds like any marriage, minus the 7 Super Bowls and millions of dollars in the bank.
The only difference being, Giselle is the bread winner in their family. She is said to still make $40-44 million a year. That's AFTER she stopped modeling full time. She was the world's highest paid model for 15 years. She probably has twice the net worth that Tom does, and we all know Tom isn't exactly slumming it.

The only difference being, Giselle is the bread winner in their family. She is said to still make $40-44 million a year. That's AFTER she stopped modeling full time. She was the world's highest paid model for 15 years. She probably has twice the net worth that Tom does, and we all know Tom isn't exactly slumming it.
Yup - must be awful.

Said 30%...given the question is just "will he retire" and not giving a year...I should have just said 100%...because yeah...eventually he will retire.
Strongly Implied was “now”, since I quoted the interview where he’s talking about retiring this year. 

Obviously he will retire at some point. C’mon. 

Edited the topic title for clarity though. 

I have also heard rumors / speculation / people with hot takes suggesting Brady wants to end his career with the 49ers. But Shanahan has seemingly passed on Brady twice . . . once in a potential trade with the Patriots (allegedly) and once when he hit the free agent market. The Niners already have a QB they don't want in Jimmy G and just burned a boatload of draft picks to select Lance. Would the Niners bring in Brady for a year and let Lance develop more?

Since he is from northern CA I think this has some merit.  Lance is not ready and if the 49ers don't win it this year I think it could be a very real possibility that he goes "home" to SF and finishes off there.  He will only play on a team that has a shot at a SB and I am not so sure TB (other than being in the anything can happen NFC) has a legit shot as the defense is aging (was terrible against the pass) and his weapons are diminishing.  SF would give him great shot at another SB.  

Since he is from northern CA I think this has some merit.  Lance is not ready and if the 49ers don't win it this year I think it could be a very real possibility that he goes "home" to SF and finishes off there.  He will only play on a team that has a shot at a SB and I am not so sure TB (other than being in the anything can happen NFC) has a legit shot as the defense is aging (was terrible against the pass) and his weapons are diminishing.  SF would give him great shot at another SB.  
How do you know Lance isn't ready?  Besides, they have too much draft capital in him and I doubt they want to squander his rookie contract with him holding a clip board.

How do you know Lance isn't ready?  Besides, they have too much draft capital in him and I doubt they want to squander his rookie contract with him holding a clip board.
Because I have seen him play.  

ETA:  I agree they don't want to squander his rookie contract holding a clipboard but if he isn't ready to play (he didn't play much in college and is more athlete than QB) then with this team it's smarter to try and win now with a QB that can play and let him learn.  Learning from Brady wouldn't be a bad thing for game prep and the mental side of the game.  

Agreed...we are all speculating/BSing right now but everything about this makes sense.

Agreed...we are all speculating/BSing right now but everything about this makes sense.
It will never happen in a million years.

Not for nuthin, Brady went to high school 12 blocks from my house in San Mateo. My HS was a rival of his (our classes were 7 years apart).

Other Serra High alum includes Barry Bonds, Lynn Swann, & David Bakhtiari. 

It will never happen in a million years.

Not for nuthin, Brady went to high school 12 blocks from my house in San Mateo. My HS was a rival of his (our classes were 7 years apart).

Other Serra High alum includes Barry Bonds, Lynn Swann, & David Bakhtiari. 
I don't think it will actually happen but the scenario makes sense from a landing spot point of view.  I am just saying it will likely be explored by at least Brady.  

I find your sample size lacking.
(That’s what she said?)  
I find Lance's complete sample size lacking which is why I don't think he is ready to play NFL QB.  He has a lot to learn and is not ready.  That doesn't mean they won't thrust him into the lineup because they "spent so much" for him but I think it would be the wrong thing and hurt the 49ers chances at a SB.  

I think he's posturing to either get Arians tossed and hand pick a new head coach or facilitate a trade. Lots of rumors that this year was not all fun and games like last year. Brady didn't look happy during the Rams game . . . he looked very similar in his last game with the Patriots. Wouldn't it be crazy if he ended up with the Giants and McDaniels as his head coach? His wife wants to live in a major city with her involvement in the fashion industry. It may sound crazy, but I could see it happen.
Just sayin, Nashville is a great city and Tom and Mike get along great. Tannehill for Tom trade? 

Just spitballing here, but Jimmy G has yet to throw a TD in the playoffs this year, has thrown 2 picks (with several others that could have been intercepted), and has a passer rating in the post season of 63. Since he came back from missing the Week 17 game, he hasn't played all that well and has thrown 6 interceptions in his last 4 games. IMO, if Shanahan thought Lance was ready, he likely would have given him more reps at the end of the year. The Niners would end up in an awkward spot if they beat the Rams again. It will be hard to move on from a QB that made it to the SB.

I find Lance's complete sample size lacking which is why I don't think he is ready to play NFL QB.  He has a lot to learn and is not ready.  That doesn't mean they won't thrust him into the lineup because they "spent so much" for him but I think it would be the wrong thing and hurt the 49ers chances at a SB.  
Oh I completely agree, I just wanted to make that joke. :lol:  

Honestly I don’t think he does hurt their chances, it’s not like Jimmy led them to NFC championship game. 

Just spitballing here, but Jimmy G has yet to throw a TD in the playoffs this year, has thrown 2 picks (with several others that could have been intercepted), and has a passer rating in the post season of 63. Since he came back from missing the Week 17 game, he hasn't played all that well and has thrown 6 interceptions in his last 4 games. IMO, if Shanahan thought Lance was ready, he likely would have given him more reps at the end of the year. The Niners would end up in an awkward spot if they beat the Rams again. It will be hard to move on from a QB that made it to the SB.

To be fair, JimmyG was playing in -6 degree weather in GB, and his 1st 3 passes were absolute dimes that his receivers flat out dropped. The killer was the seam route to Kittle that woulda been a walk-in TD. 

69 degrees in LA this weekend (nice) and should be a slightly higher scoring effort. 

#LFG!!

+1.  I don't think it's that crazy.

He has long come off as a narcissist, she has long come off as the one who typically gets to call the shots in that relationship.  Anything that happens that is driven by those two factors has a far greater than zero chance of happening than not (in my opinion, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread