What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Brady Retire? Has he played his last NFL game? (1 Viewer)

Will Brady Retire?

• 10% chance

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • 20% chance

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • 30% chance

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • 40% chance

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • 50% chance

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • 60% chance

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • 70% chance

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • 80% chance

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • 90% chance

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • 100% chance

Votes: 8 8.2%

• Total voters
I can see Brady not wanting to go back to Tampa next year as they didn't look nearly as buttoned up this year as they did last year.  As much as he was tired of Belichick, his rigid ways always kept the Patriots buttoned up, and that was missing this season.  Heck, it was missing for a lot of last year, too, but they got hot at the right time last year and caught a few breaks (Brees falling off the cliff in the playoff game, KC missing 2/5 of their starting o-line).  It's just a matter of, does Brady want to go to another team?  If the 49ers cut the cord with Jimmy G, would he want to go to SF?  I don't see Indy or Tennessee being realistic possibilities. 

Capella said:
There is a lot of hilarious speculation in here but Tampa being cap strapped because they have to bring OJ Howard and his 8 catches back may be the funniest. 
I could make a case for a 6 way tie for funniest. This thread is like a Twitter rabbit hole of crazy speculation.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I recall I once did a “25/50/75/100” poll and people complained there weren’t enough options, so…. :shrug:  
Next time make it 0 / 16.6 / 33.3 / 50.0 / 66.6 /  83.3 / 100

People like decimal points.  Just think back to the days when your league switched from 1 point for 10 yards to 0.1 point for 1 yard.  It was like you died and went to heaven!   :grad:

I don't see a new team. I think Brady understands and values stability. He doesn't want to learn or teach a new system again. Wherever he goes, he won't have the weapons he does in Tampa. The weather almost certainly won't be better. And the NFC South is a breeze right now, especially with Payton leaving. Rodgers is likely gone from GB. That leaves the NFC West (minus Seattle) as real contenders (no I don't view Dallas as a threat).

I said 30%.

I do think he's pretty damn serious about it right now but it's the first time really gaining traction. I think if he does come back next year, it's 100% his last season. Idk if that means he waits until after the season to announce it or if he wants the farewell tour and says it at the start.

What’s 44 year old Tom Brady coming off a SB win and then arguably his best statistical season ever worth in a trade? Lol. 

In a thread asking for people to speculate, why are people so agitated by wild speculation. The media is doing the same thing. 
Because they're not just speculating about the likelihood (their percentage), they're speculating about the reasons behind their choice. That's double speculation! The speculation grows exponentially I would imagine.

He probably should. Lost so many weapons this year and the coaching couldn't even stop the Rams despite that crazy amount of talent on the defense.

Now the team has a ton of free agent decisions again and could face financial or salary cap hell. They had a short window and I'm not sure they will be the favorites again.

It's also possible he pulls a Manning next year and completely falls off. Now he can go out on top after his dominant statistical season. One year early vs. one year too late. 

They could restructure several of their main guys and get into a pretty good spot financially. If they want to. 
There have been similar discussions going on in Saints related threads. Yes, there are ways for teams to free up cap space. The two easiest ways are adding dummy years to a contract or converting salaries to bonuses. Tampa went the dummy year route with Suh and Gronk last year. Between them, that means they either have to take the salary cap hit this year ($11 million) or re-sign them. They could develop another dummy year contract and keep putting off the cap hit. 

Similarly, teams can convert salaries to bonuses and spread the cap hit to future years. They could do that with their Top 7 players and gain $100 million in cap space for this season. But like a credit card, eventually they have to take the cap hit. If they freed up $100 million in cap space this year, they would be borrowing it from the cap in future seasons. 

If Tampa thinks they can make one last run with Brady and they can both keep a lot of their own free agents and maybe add a couple more, then maybe it’s worth   mortgaging some of the cap from future seasons and then taking a huge cap hit all in the same season once Brady retires. But it’s possible the cap situation could get out of hand and they could be looking at a rebuild by then. 

I'm curious about the 10% selection....did some of you 10%-ers choose this because there was no 0% chance option? Or do you all agree there's some chance? 

Retirements tend to be decided at two points, at the end of a tough season or when it's time to begin your preparations for the upcoming season. Some players stare up at the top of that mountain they need to start climbing again and know they just don't want to.

I suspect Brady is an end of the season guy.

I suspect Brady is an end of the season guy.
I agree. At this point in his career he may be both. Like, he might be staring up at the mountain right now while still reflecting on this season’s loss.

Combine that with the pressure of a wife & family that wants him home more & a team that might not have enough next year - it could be the end. 

While I don’t want to diminish the time he’s missing from his family, the guy isn’t off at war.  He probably lives 20 minutes from the Bucs complex. I don’t understand why he simply can’t be home for dinner and family time every night if that’s what they need. 

While I don’t want to diminish the time he’s missing from his family, the guy isn’t off at war.  He probably lives 20 minutes from the Bucs complex. I don’t understand why he simply can’t be home for dinner and family time every night if that’s what they need. 

Pretty sure you don't get to his level by being a 9-5 guy, and Brady is not the kind of player to half ### it.  

Even if he was home every night for dinner, the part where he mentions his wife being bothered by his getting hit out there is key. It’s not war, but knowing he doesn’t need to be out there, knowing that there is risk of getting severely injured every play, that’s significant.  

Plant your flag. 

“Speaking on his "Let's Go" podcast Monday, Tom Brady said his role as a husband and father is playing a big part in his decision on whether to continue his playing career.

Referencing his wife, Brady said, "It pains her to see me get hit out there. And she deserves what she needs from me as a husband, and my kids deserve what they need from me as a dad. ... I said this a few years ago, it's what relationships are all about. It's not always what I want. It's what we want as a family. And I'm gonna spend a lot of time with them and figure out in the future what's next.” It sure sounds like Brady is taking this retirement talk pretty seriously. “The team doesn’t deserve anything less than my best," Brady continued. "And if I feel like I'm not committed to that, or I can't play at a championship level, then you gotta give someone else a chance to play. And, you know, we'll see. Playing football I get so much joy from. I love it. But not playing football, there's a lot of joy in that for me also now, too, with my kids getting older and seeing them develop and grow. So all these things need to be considered, and they will be.” We wouldn't expect a decision any time soon.

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter”

I do wonder if Brady would make a good coach. I’d love to see him as a QB coach or even OC for my team.  More likely he’ll get into the booth or some TV show. 

I wonder how folks who heavily invested in TB skill players are feeling right now. 

I traded Brady & Gronk to one such owner - I may have to do a wellness check on him today. :(  

Yep, this may as well be an announcement that they both retired.  Mentioned earlier Brady will join Big Ben in going into HOF but forgot how cool it would be that Gronk and Brady would be able to go in together.

I think I did this.  For the first time ever I ended up with Brady everywhere.  I fully expected him to have a terrible year or get injured but I guess pushing him to retirement also makes sense.  

I do wonder if Brady would make a good coach. I’d love to see him as a QB coach or even OC for my team.  More likely he’ll get into the booth or some TV show. 
I don't think his career will ever be back on a football field.

He's retiring for family reasons, how is him coaching a solution to that?

I think his next chapters of his career will be business related.  TB12 brand, health stuff, etc. 

I think I did this.  For the first time ever I ended up with Brady everywhere.  I fully expected him to have a terrible year or get injured but I guess pushing him to retirement also makes sense.  

Brady went out on top of his game after one his his best seasons ever stat wise. No doubt he could have played 1-2 more years at same level but why?

Now TB needs to bring in a young stop gap QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

the pandemic forced many fathers to spend more time with their wife and kids.   Many actually liked it, reconnected with their family and now don't want to give that up.   

Brady has several other ways to make money, that's not an issue.   He's proven he's the GOAT in the NFL, even this year losing a last minute playoff game, he was exceptional in that game.  He has nothing left to give the NFL.   

I applaud him.   I don't know that we'll ever see another guy like him in my lifetime.   He gave up a LOT of money over the last 20 years so that his teams could compete for championships.   That, in and of itself, is more relevant to his greatness than anything else he did on the field.

I think his next chapters of his career will be business related.  TB12 brand, health stuff, etc. 
the next Romo. 

the part where his wife doesn’t like watching him on the field due to injury risk is significantly changed as a coach.

your probably right that he’ll go into health related business. Saying this as I watch the neugenics commercial with Frank Thomas. Hoping Brady doesn’t do down that specific path. 

Brady’s agent saying until Brady says something directly it’s not official. Saw someone reference a tweet from a Tampa reporter saying Tom had yet to make a final decision yet. 

LINK

ETA: His father says Brady is not retiring. 

Who knows what the real situation is at this point. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread