What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will someone PLEASE wake up Jerry Angelo! (1 Viewer)

jbird5150

Footballguy
Randle El. Archuleta. Drummond. Carter. Who's next on the Bears "aw, shucks, we just missed "em" bandwagon? Probably McCown.

This crap is driving me nuts. :wall:

You left one name off that list, Drew Brees.

QB play is THE one and only determining factor for the Bears' success next year. Everything else is just fluff.

BTW - I'm a die-hard Stiller and I wouldn't have paid Randle El $1 million per catch.

Randle El. Archuleta. Drummond. Carter. Who's next on the Bears "aw, shucks, we just missed "em" bandwagon? Probably McCown.
Sounds to me like he's doing fine so far consider what those guys got paid. :thumbup:

QB play is THE one and only determining factor for the Bears' success next year. Everything else is just fluff.

BTW - I'm a die-hard Stiller and I wouldn't have paid Randle El $1 million per catch.
Why is it everyone seems to think the Bears need a qb? The qb's they have are fine for the system they run. Grossman proved when he came back from injury that he can wing the ball around and give the team a decent passing game to compliment their running game. And with that defense they don't need to throw the ball around alot. Orton also proved that he can run that offense with minimal mistakes ala Dilfer. Every team isn't made for a Peyton Manning type qb. I think the Bears will be just fine and probably improve some on where they left off last year. No need for a McCown or Brees. All they gotta do is take advantage of their situation and draft depth and BPA. Maybe a decent WR in the draft. I don't think the bears fans have anything to worry about. Just because Washington is spending Mad money doesn't mean they will be better. That blew up in their face in the past. All they're doing is picking up middle of the road free agents. Sleep easy Bears fans. :yawn:

Why is it everyone seems to think the Bears need a qb? The qb's they have are fine for the system they run. Grossman proved when he came back from injury that he can wing the ball around and give the team a decent passing game to compliment their running game. And with that defense they don't need to throw the ball around alot. Orton also proved that he can run that offense with minimal mistakes ala Dilfer. Every team isn't made for a Peyton Manning type qb. I think the Bears will be just fine and probably improve some on where they left off last year. No need for a McCown or Brees. All they gotta do is take advantage of their situation and draft depth and BPA. Maybe a decent WR in the draft. I don't think the bears fans have anything to worry about. Just because Washington is spending Mad money doesn't mean they will be better. That blew up in their face in the past. All they're doing is picking up middle of the road free agents. Sleep easy Bears fans. :yawn:
:goodposting:

I left Brees off the list because the Bears were never in the Brees sweepstakes. Would have been an upgrade, but they're sold on Rex.

What we need is a solid #2 veteran. Kyle's got some chops, but he's not there yet. And with Rex's injury history, a proven #2 is a necessity.

The Bears offense doesn't need a slingin' wingin' QB ala Aaron Brooks, just a guy who can manage the game and not make mistakes.

McCown? I dunno. Kitna would have been a GREAT choice, but again, Detroit wraps him up quickly. Collins may be an option.

I'd like to see them make a play for Moulds or Key as well.

If I were a Bears fan I would be extremely worried about Rex's ability to stay healthy. He has a penchant for injuries, and Orton would worry me as a backup.

You left one name off that list,  Drew Brees.

QB play is THE one and only determining factor for the Bears' success next year.  Everything else is just fluff.

If I were a Bears fan I would be extremely worried about Rex's ability to stay healthy. He has a penchant for injuries, and Orton would worry me as a backup.
What's there to worry about with Orton? I agree with the poster above who said they ideally need a veteran backup. But Orton won how many games for them last year? I also agree that Grossman's health is a concern but assuming he stays healthy even for half the year I think they'll be fine. They should make another playoff push this year. And their team is young so they should be fun to watch for atleast a couple more years.

What's there to worry about with Orton? I agree with the poster above who said they ideally need a veteran backup. But Orton won how many games for them last year? I also agree that Grossman's health is a concern but assuming he stays healthy even for half the year I think they'll be fine. They should make another playoff push this year. And their team is young so they should be fun to watch for atleast a couple more years.
I think that's the entire point. Orton wasn't the one who won games for the Bears. Their defense did. But of course to be fair, many rookie QB's that have gone on to be very good veterans started out the same way.

QB play is THE one and only determining factor for the Bears' success next year.  Everything else is just fluff.

I think that's the entire point. Orton wasn't the one who won games for the Bears. Their defense did. But of course to be fair, many rookie QB's that have gone on to be very good veterans started out the same way.
agreed. Orton was not the one who won the games, he just did enuff not to lose themI would like to see the silent bears pick up a veteran QB, and a good WR before the draft. Doesnt look like they are making moves for anything so far

Typcial. Another fan #####ing and moaning about why his team isn't imitating the Washington Redskins and stocking up on every free agent.

Washington has done this for years and what has it gotten them? If you understood football, you'd realize that the best teams, the winning teams keep their core players and sign an occasional free agent.

Angelo offered Randel El damn good money but Snyder blew their offer out of the water and gave him ridiculous money. The same could be said for Archuleta.

Let's play your game and say Angelo signs Randel El. You do understand that Lance Briggs will be a free agent soon, correct? How much do you think he'll make on the open market? You have to be responsible and make sure you have enough money to keep your guys, instead of buying up every other team's players.

Relax. The draft will arrive soon, and the June 1st cuts as well. THIS is when you go shopping, when Snyder and the other idiots have long spent their money. Valuable vets could be had for cheap as teams use this date to cut vets to avoid roster bonuses, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry, Sweets, he'll get far more catches in an offense that actually throws the ball! :bye:

Typcial. Another fan #####ing and moaning about why his team isn't imitating the Washington Redskins and stocking up on every free agent.

Washington has done this for years and what has it gotten them? If you understood football, you'd realize that the best teams, the winning teams keep their core players and sign an occasional free agent.

Angelo offered Randel El damn good money but Snyder blew their offer out of the water and gave him ridiculous money. The same could be said for Archuleta.

Let's play your game and say Angelo signs Randel El. You do understand that Lance Briggs will be a free agent soon, correct? How much do you think he'll make on the open market? You have to be responsible and make sure you have enough money to keep your guys, instead of buying up every other team's players.

Relax. The draft will arrive soon, and the June 1st cuts as well. THIS is when you go shopping, when Snyder and the other idiots have long spent their money. Valuable vets could be had for cheap as teams use this date to cut vets to avoid roster bonuses, etc.
Thanks for saving me the typing.And who's Carter? Andre? Tom?

Thanks for saving me the typing.And who's Carter? Andre? Tom?
Carter? I know washignton signed Andre Carter and are rumored to be in the hunt for John Abraham.It sounds great as a fan, but really, Washington goes on shopping sprees every year with only a modicum of success.

Chicago is in pretty good shape. The draft is stock full of good players in positions we need, and we don't have a ton of needs. What we do need is for Mark Bradley to return healthy and for Grossman to remain upright for an entire season. Mike Brown also has to stay healthy, but that being said, there is no reason why Chicago cannot continue their success, especially if they fill their needs during this deep, solid draft.

Just relax people. The games don't start until Sept.

Carter? I know washignton signed Andre Carter and are rumored to be in the hunt for John Abraham.
After signing Carter, the 'Skins are no longer interested in Abraham.

I'm a die hard Bears fan, but I believe Orton won ZERO games for the Bears last year.

They did not win because of him, but in spite of him. Chicago is putting all their eggs in one basket again (REX). I pray he finally proves himself worthy

And who's Carter? Andre? Tom?
Carter? I know washignton signed Andre Carter and are rumored to be in the hunt for John Abraham.
The thread starter said Carter and I was unsure who he was talking about. I'm guessing Andre.Guys like Archuleta, Carter, Drummond only got to talks with their representatives (none were scheduled for visits). McCown won't be a Bear either.

Tell me which "core players" from last years team the Redskins had to cut because of their "cap hell" and couldn't resign. And if you tell me Lavar, you don't know what you're talking about. Only other cap cuts were hardly "core Redskins" which is something that Joe Gibbs has been preaching since he got back. Ryan Clark could be considered a core Redskin, but he went to the Steelers for big money and Robert Royal got well overpaid by the Bills. But those losses had nothing to do with the ARE or Archeleta signings.

I'm a die hard Bears fan, but I believe Orton won ZERO games for the Bears last year.

They did not win because of him, but in spite of him. Chicago is putting all their eggs in one basket again (REX). I pray he finally proves himself worthy
Agreed. The Bears have everything in place to make a run but are gambling on the most important position on the team, again. Rex may work out but if he gets injured again or fails the Bears will face any early exit/no playoffs again.

Yes, I was speaking of Carter, Andre. The Bears were sniffing around for a while.

Look, all I want to do is make my team better. Last year, we got only so far and it's obvious where the holes are. Randle El could have filled a hole. Archuleta could have filled a hole. Kitna could have filled a hole.

Of course we're not going to match the Skins' offers. Nobody is. I'm just disappointed that they haven't been at least a LITTLE more aggressive in the pursuit of quality FAs.

I feel like we've got a one or two year window before that defense starts to bail. And I want to do what it takes to win in those years. Not freaking out here, just a bit concerned.

Fair enough?

Tell me which "core players" from last years team the Redskins had to cut because of their "cap hell" and couldn't resign. And if you tell me Lavar, you don't know what you're talking about. Only other cap cuts were hardly "core Redskins" which is something that Joe Gibbs has been preaching since he got back. Ryan Clark could be considered a core Redskin, but he went to the Steelers for big money and Robert Royal got well overpaid by the Bills. But those losses had nothing to do with the ARE or Archeleta signings.
First of all, I referred to WINNING teams, of which I don't not consider the Redskins. Nowhere did I mention anything about "cap hell", to which you Redskin apologists immediately become sensitive. This has everything to do with the fact that the Redskins have jumped headfirst into free agency every year, attempting to make splash after splash and they have little or nothing to show for their efforts.I am talking about teams that are perennial winners, or in contention. The Patriots, Eagles and Steelers are three perfect examples. They keep their core players, while adding a few pieces to their teams, signing underrated young players or solid vets. All three have been to championship games.

Say what you want, but I like the approach my team is taking. Draft well, sign free agents at a reasonable rate, which allows you to keep your own players, and contend at a consistent rate.

agreed. Orton was not the one who won the games, he just did enuff not to lose themI would like to see the silent bears pick up a veteran QB, and a good WR before the draft. Doesnt look like they are making moves for anything so far
Just to wrap this up...I know the Bears weren't in the BRees sweepstakes.

My point was given the team that they have... solid OL, good RBs, phenomenal DEF, Mushy and some adequate(?) WRs.... The success of the 2006 Bears is going to revolve solely around the QB play. Any or all of the other guys mentioned in the first post are not going to make or break this team.

It's all about the QB play for the Bears. There's not a FA player still out there who is going to make a significant difference to their W-L record.

First of all, I referred to WINNING teams, of which I don't not consider the Redskins. Nowhere did I mention anything about "cap hell", to which you Redskin apologists immediately become sensitive. This has everything to do with the fact that the Redskins have jumped headfirst into free agency every year, attempting to make splash after splash and they have little or nothing to show for their efforts.I am talking about teams that are perennial winners, or in contention. The Patriots, Eagles and Steelers are three perfect examples. They keep their core players, while adding a few pieces to their teams, signing underrated young players or solid vets. All three have been to championship games.

Say what you want, but I like the approach my team is taking. Draft well, sign free agents at a reasonable rate, which allows you to keep your own players, and contend at a consistent rate.
Washington went 10-6 last year and won a playoff game. Are you drinking? :loco:

Yes, I was speaking of Carter, Andre. The Bears were sniffing around for a while.

Look, all I want to do is make my team better. Last year, we got only so far and it's obvious where the holes are. Randle El could have filled a hole. Archuleta could have filled a hole. Kitna could have filled a hole.

Of course we're not going to match the Skins' offers. Nobody is. I'm just disappointed that they haven't been at least a LITTLE more aggressive in the pursuit of quality FAs.

I feel like we've got a one or two year window before that defense starts to bail. And I want to do what it takes to win in those years. Not freaking out here, just a bit concerned.

Fair enough?
I'd love it too, but this is not Madden or Fantasy Football. Sign Randel El at the rate Washington signed him for and what chance do we have of keeping the guys that we drafted, guys like Tillman, Vasher, Briggs, etc?The NFL is a crap shoot. One year you're good and the next you're trash. The key behind teams being consistent is their ability to sign and or draft capable backups to their star or core players. When you're close, you go ahead and sign the big name, which is understandable.

We have other needs on this team and free agency is only about a week old. Give it some time.

So now, after one season, they're a winning team? I knew some Skins fan was going to step in here with that nonsense. Prior to last year, your team had three losing seasons, but now you're a winner? :lmao:

Our ideas about winning are obviously different. It's about consistency. Do it for more than one year before calling yourself a "winner".

By your logic, the eagles are "losers", because they missed the playoffs and self destructed, despite four staright NFC Championship appearances. :rolleyes:

Kleko, who is your team? Is it the Jets (hence your handle) or is it the Bears (given the thread)?

Kleko, who is your team? Is it the Jets (hence your handle) or is it the Bears (given the thread)?
What does that have to do with anything?

So now, after one season, they're a winning team? I knew some Skins fan was going to step in here with that nonsense. Prior to last year, your team had three losing seasons, but now you're a winner? :lmao:

Our ideas about winning are obviously different. It's about consistency. Do it for more than one year before calling yourself a "winner".

By your logic, the eagles are "losers", because they missed the playoffs and self destructed, despite four staright NFC Championship appearances. :rolleyes:
Yes but they have got consitently better. In 04 their average margin of defeat was 6.5 ppg IIRC. In 05 they found a way to win a majority of those close games. By adding two WR's whose combined numbers are over 1000 yds per year, that takes huge pressure off the big playmakers, Portis, Moss, Cooley.And since Gibbs has been back Snyder has been going after the guys that Gibbs has selected......Oh and incedently I would agree that the Skins probably did overpay for ARE. Question is did they overpay like they overpaid for Moss last year??

Just to wrap this up...I know the Bears weren't in the BRees sweepstakes.

My point was given the team that they have... solid OL, good RBs, phenomenal DEF, Mushy and some adequate(?) WRs.... The success of the 2006 Bears is going to revolve solely around the QB play. Any or all of the other guys mentioned in the first post are not going to make or break this team.

It's all about the QB play for the Bears. There's not a FA player still out there who is going to make a significant difference to their W-L record.
Excellent point. As with all teams, it comes down to health, but even moreso with Chicago, since their QB has a history of injury problems. If Grossman is healthy, the Bears could go a long way, IF the defense plays at the level they did last season. The problem is, things do not always remain consistent in the league. The Bears will have a tougher schedule and oppsoing coaches will have had more time to preapre for their D. As a Bears fan, you should also hope that the players imrpove and that the draftees and fa acquisitions also pan out.

No idea. That's what I was trying to figure out. :confused:

Yes but they have got consitently better. In 04 their average margin of defeat was 6.5 ppg IIRC. In 05 they found a way to win a majority of those close games. By adding two WR's whose combined numbers are over 1000 yds per year, that takes huge pressure off the big playmakers, Portis, Moss, Cooley.And since Gibbs has been back Snyder has been going after the guys that Gibbs has selected......Oh and incedently I would agree that the Skins probably did overpay for ARE. Question is did they overpay like they overpaid for Moss last year??
I agree. Listen, this isn't about the Bears Vs. Washington, although I might have made it seem that way. They Bears have always been the opposite of Dan Snyder, and in fact cheap. I can understand the frsutration, especially when it seems like Chicago is not far off from contending. The key is to remain steady and NOT make big name moves at this time. You must make sure that you have quality depth, something the Bears have in many places on D, but not on offense(except for running back).

Washington has a good defense and should improve given the additons they've made. I guess it all comes down to what kind of return you're getting on your investment. Given the size of the contracts given out by Snyder, the return better be huge.

:lmao:

Ah, so I see it's the Bears. :unsure:

The Bears will have a tougher schedule
Actually, not that much. Here's who we got for 06.Green Bay twiceMinnesota twiceDetroit twiceBuffalo, Miami, Seattle, Niners, Bucs at homeArizona, New England, Giants, Jets, Rams on the roadI like those odds. :excited:

The Bears will have a tougher schedule
Actually, not that much. Here's who we got for 06.Green Bay twice

Minnesota twice

Detroit twice

Buffalo, Miami, Seattle, Niners, Bucs at home

Arizona, New England, Giants, Jets, Rams on the road

I like those odds. :excited:
Bird, people had the same reaction when they saw the Bears on their '05 schedule. ;) Two years ago, San Diego and Atlanta both went from the cellar, to deep, playoff contention. In today's NFL, all it takes is one offseason, including a good draft, FA period, etc to improve.

I think you also have to factor in injuries. Remember Grossman going down to St. Louis last season? Vick to Baltimore? Pennington to the Giants?

Cross your fingers and don't start counting victories in March.

Actually, Red, both. I know it sounds like bull, but I was born in Chicago and raised as a HUGE Bears fan but having lived in NY for 25+ years, I ended up following the Jets very closely. Klecko was one of my favorite players.

Bears just signed FA dante wesley. special teams specialist/ corner back. super.

Edit: front page of chicagobears.com

Actually, Red, both. I know it sounds like bull, but I was born in Chicago and raised as a HUGE Bears fan but having lived in NY for 25+ years, I ended up following the Jets very closely. Klecko was one of my favorite players.
No, it's cool. I have other teams I like, although the 'Skins are my love. Where I was going with this is that the 'Skins record during the Snyder era is actually very comparable to both the Jets and the Bears, and the 'Skins have actually had a better playoff record during that time (2-2) than have the Jets (2-3) and the Bears (0-2). That's like arguing that you're the tallest midget in the circus, so I'm not exactly shouting that from the rooftops. My basic point is this: The 'Skins problem has not been in "spending too much money". They've never during Snyder's time had to jettison good players who they wanted to keep simply because they had cap problems. In fact, the only major roster purges of any talent of note have occurred during the year Schottenheimer took over (he dumped the fat, underperforming, overpaid veterans on the roster like Deion, Jeff George, Stubblefield, Carrier, etc.) and when Gibbs came on board two years ago.

With the exception of the 2001 season with Schottenheimer and the last two years under Gibbs, the 'Skins problems have not primarily IMHO arisen from lack of overall talent on the field. They've come from lack of continuity and poor coaching, two things which have been solved by Gibbs' return. The 'Skins targeted their FA's because this coaching staff belives that those guys are important additions to what they're building. Gibbs and his staff, not Snyder, are making those calls; Snyder and the front office just make them happen. Given that this team is IMHO as good as or better than any out there in working the cap to maximum benefit, they can afford to pay more to land talent they target.

I wouldn't have said this three years ago, but these FA signings are by design, and due to the judgment of a coaching staff that I trust.

See jBird5150. It pays to be patient.

Jerry Angelo stepped up to the plate and finally got the Bears the veteran QB they've needed.

A very solid move. He will be able to compete with Grossman for the starting job, and, at the very least, provides an excellent insurance policy for Rex.

I also like the fact that orton will be able to sit back a bit and learn, without having the pressure of having to be forced into a starting situation. He did well for us last season, given the circumstances.

There is still more to come. The rest of the free agent signing period, April draft and June 1st cuts.

Hang in there.

Love the Griese signing. Sans a few very rare cases, QB is the one position in the NFL you can't draft and expect him to produce regularly right away.

I'm sure Angelo went with the equation: (Griese - Orton) > (Randle El - other FA/rookie/Bradley or Berrian)

See jBird5150. It pays to be patient.

Jerry Angelo stepped up to the plate and finally got the Bears the veteran QB they've needed.

A very solid move. He will be able to compete with Grossman for the starting job, and, at the very least, provides an excellent insurance policy for Rex.

I also like the fact that orton will be able to sit back a bit and learn, without having the pressure of having to be forced into a starting situation. He did well for us last season, given the circumstances.

There is still more to come. The rest of the free agent signing period, April draft and June 1st cuts.

Hang in there.
Yep, I'm good with the Griese signing. I've thought Brian would look good in a Bears uni for quite a while. Still need to address a few issues..we'll see what happens. But this pacifies the Bird for a while. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread