What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will the Steelers Cover Fitzgerald? (1 Viewer)

Neil Beaufort Zod

Footballguy
It seems like teams are either not giving this guy enough attention or the Cards are geniuses at getting him the ball in open space or one-on-one. You'd think the Eagles would have watched some game film of the other playoff contests but they didn't seem to focus on Fitz enough.

You have to think that Pittsburgh won't make this mistake. With good weather, the Cards have a shot if they take advantage of their weapons, and there's no bigger weapon than Fitzgerald. Just wondering how people think Pittsburgh will approach covering him and whether it will be effective. I mean, can they just double him and take him out of the game, hoping the others can handle a weakened Boldin and Breaston? Or would they just put their best guy on him, or just "play their scheme?"

Also wondering if Pitt homers had an idea how they normally handle a top-notch talent like this. To me, this is the matchup that makes or breaks the Cardinals.

The best way for the Steelers to defend against Fitz is to have Harrison and Woodley meet at the QB...often.

No, I doubt the Steelers will cover Fitzgerlad. I'm sure their game plan will involve letting him run free through the secondary.

Neil Beaufort Zod said:
CrossEyed said:
The best way for the Steelers to defend against Fitz is to have Harrison and Woodley meet at the QB...often.
The Cardinals showed they can pick up a blitz and Warner can make a quick throw. Is Ike good enough to cover him alone if that's the plan?
I think Mr. LeBeau may have a few tricks up his sleeve for Mr Whisenhunt.

Neil Beaufort Zod said:
CrossEyed said:
The Cardinals showed they can pick up a blitz and Warner can make a quick throw. Is Ike good enough to cover him alone if that's the plan?
Actually, Warner is far more vulnerable to pressure up the middle than he is from the edges. His game has been quick releases off of three and five-step drops, but if you have a NT or a LB in your face after a shallow dropback, there's not much you can do as a pocket passer, and Warner though he's tough has shown that his passing will be influenced by him getting hit a lot.

As everyone else has mentioned above, it's going to come down to generating pressure. The Steelers can't let Fitz have enough time to get downfield, so they are going to have to blitz, and blitz often. The danger is that by blitzing, they leave either Boldin or Fitz in one-on-one situations. If it's me, I roll the safety towards Fitz, and hope to contain Boldin from breaking one.

Neil Beaufort Zod said:
CrossEyed said:
Actually, Warner is far more vulnerable to pressure up the middle than he is from the edges. His game has been quick releases off of three and five-step drops, but if you have a NT or a LB in your face after a shallow dropback, there's not much you can do as a pocket passer, and Warner though he's tough has shown that his passing will be influenced by him getting hit a lot.
He might just be getting a facefull of Lawrence Timmons. If not for some great pickups by McGahee, he'd have probably had 3 or 4 sacks yesterday.

Neil Beaufort Zod said:
CrossEyed said:
He might just be getting a facefull of Lawrence Timmons. If not for some great pickups by McGahee, he'd have probably had 3 or 4 sacks yesterday.
:useless: Or the 10 holds against harrison not called :wall:

Neil Beaufort Zod said:
CrossEyed said:
:confused: Or the 10 holds against harrison not called :lmao:
I heard Woodley interviewed after the game and he was asked about non-calls against him and Harrison. He basically said they can't do anything about that, just play. If they get the calls, they get the calls and if they don't, they don't. Refreshing attitude from a young guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
belljr said:
Neil Beaufort Zod said:
CrossEyed said:
:thumbup: Or the 10 holds against harrison not called :unsure:
I noticed that bigtime, I was wondering if the refs would ever call it because he was getting hooked all day, it didn't seem to phase him though he just played as hard as he always does...

Choke said:
Obliterate the run game. Force the Cardinals to rely on the pass. Then defending the pass gets much much easier, especially for this defensive unit. :yawn:
Hope that was sarcasm considering the Cardinals aren't a run first team and I'm pretty sure their not going out their looking to pound Edge and Hightower down the Steelers throats. Fitzgerald isn't really their only problem... I know what the thread says but if you don't think Boldin can hurt you the same way your crazy. This whole game is going come down on protecting Kurt Warner, the Steelers do not want a good old fashioned shoot-out, they will not get the winning end of that. The best way for them to stop the Cardinals passing attack is keeping Warner and Co. on the sidelines. When the Cardinals are on the field their going to need great blocking from their RB's and O-line because they will be seeing blitz after blitz... after blitz. The coverage on Boldin/Fitz/Breaston is actually going to come down to Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Farrior and the rest of the Steelers linebackers. They need to give Kurt Warner very minimal time to neutralize the deep pass. Make them beat you with slant routes and short passes. Your not going to stop Fitz/Boldin but hope to contain them underneath.

The Steelers did fine against Texans, Patriots, Chargers, and Colts passing offenses (winning all of those games save for Indy). Will Kurt have over 250 yards..of course, will Fitzgerald get 100 yards and a TD...of course, but will Kurt be sacked 4 times..of course, will Kurt have over 3 turnovers..of course. Final score Pitt 30 Zona 21

T Bell said:
IvanKaramazov said:
No, I doubt the Steelers will cover Fitzgerlad. I'm sure their game plan will involve letting him run free through the secondary.
:yawn: :coffee:Beat me to it. There are rhetorical questions, and then there's "Will the Steelers Cover Fitzgerald?" ;)
:lmao:

T Bell said:
IvanKaramazov said:
:lmao: :goodposting:Beat me to it. There are rhetorical questions, and then there's "Will the Steelers Cover Fitzgerald?" :lmao:
Falcons, Panthers and Eagles down? They didn't seem to cover him (plenty of open space), but it's a given the Steelers will? Mmmkay.

T Bell said:
IvanKaramazov said:
:lmao: :towelwave:Beat me to it. There are rhetorical questions, and then there's "Will the Steelers Cover Fitzgerald?" :lmao:
Falcons, Panthers and Eagles down? They didn't seem to cover him (plenty of open space), but it's a given the Steelers will? Mmmkay.
Are you asking if they are going to play zone or man on Fitz the whole time?Even though he had space he was covered. He didn't stand out there all by himself.

T Bell said:
IvanKaramazov said:
:lmao: :goodposting: Beat me to it. There are rhetorical questions, and then there's "Will the Steelers Cover Fitzgerald?" :lmao:
Are you asking if they are going to play zone or man on Fitz the whole time?Even though he had space he was covered. He didn't stand out there all by himself.
Watching the games, I would say they tried to cover him but failed. The Falcons did the best job, actually. The Panthers didn't and the Eagles didn't (except for the long pass but he caught it anyway). Fitzgerald has already broken Rice's receiving yards record in a playoff run and they haven't reached Tampa yet.If the title had been "Will the Panthers cover Fitzgerald" before that game there would have been the same response. But the answer was no. The Panthers tried to cover him and failed miserably. The Steelers, being the NFL's best defense, will certainly give it a better go than the garbage attempts we saw in the NFC. But will they do it?

I guess the consensus is that of course they will. But if Fitz goes off for 180+ and three scores, I wonder who will argue that they covered him. I'll say they tried and failed. Warner isn't throwing darts in between three defenders in the playoffs. He's throwing to an open guy who often runs across the middle with somebody lagging far behind him. That's all I'm saying. :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
T Bell said:
IvanKaramazov said:
:lmao: :goodposting: Beat me to it. There are rhetorical questions, and then there's "Will the Steelers Cover Fitzgerald?" :lmao:
Watching the games, I would say they tried to cover him but failed. The Falcons did the best job, actually. The Panthers didn't and the Eagles didn't (except for the long pass but he caught it anyway). Fitzgerald has already broken Rice's receiving yards record in a playoff run and they haven't reached Tampa yet.If the title had been "Will the Panthers cover Fitzgerald" before that game there would have been the same response. But the answer was no. The Panthers tried to cover him and failed miserably. The Steelers, being the NFL's best defense, will certainly give it a better go than the garbage attempts we saw in the NFC. But will they do it?

I guess the consensus is that of course they will. But if Fitz goes off for 180+ and three scores, I wonder who will argue that they covered him. I'll say they tried and failed. Warner isn't throwing darts in between three defenders in the playoffs. He's throwing to an open guy who often runs across the middle with somebody lagging far behind him. That's all I'm saying. :2cents:
um it probably should have read "can" not "will" ....

Falcons, Panthers and Eagles down?
Well, the Falcons and Panthers are both down... in the middle (Panthers) to below middle (Falcons) of the pack both in total yards and passing yards. The Eagles were a different story, #3 in both categories.I think Arizona is very dangerous offensively and a huge threat to score every time they take the ball. However, let's not pretend they faced stout defenses throughout the playoffs. The Eagles are the only high-caliber defense they played, and even against them, it was only in the first half in which Arizona's offense was consistently successful. Let's not forget that in the first 19+ minutes of the second half, the Cardinals gained only 29 yards.As to your original question, well, sort of, assuming you actually want to know HOW will the Steelers cover Fitzgerald, I'm interested in this because traditionally the Steelers do not do as much scheming against individual players as much as teams like the Patriots have done. Fitz may prove an exception here. What has often been done is to have Ike Taylor shadow the top receiver. I'm thinking that with two #1s and a solid #2 (Breaston), the better scheme may be Taylor on Boldin and roll coverage to help Fitzgerald. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers alternate the schemes on a consistent basis as predictability is one of those elements that factors in to Warner's incredibly quick reads and releases.It's a fascinating matchup, and I think it's great that in neighboring threads, I'm seeing some people comment on how Arizona is not gettting respect and others post of how the Steelers cannot possibly stop the Cardinals. Good stuff.

T Bell said:
IvanKaramazov said:
:moneybag: :moneybag: Beat me to it. There are rhetorical questions, and then there's "Will the Steelers Cover Fitzgerald?" :jawdrop:
:unsure:

I guess the consensus is that of course they will. But if Fitz goes off for 180+ and three scores, I wonder who will argue that they covered him. I'll say they tried and failed. Warner isn't throwing darts in between three defenders in the playoffs. He's throwing to an open guy who often runs across the middle with somebody lagging far behind him. That's all I'm saying. :moneybag:
um it probably should have read "can" not "will" ....
Well, it's certainly more fun this way. :moneybag: But really, I have no doubt that the Steelers can cover Fitzgerald. They might just have to sacrifice more than they want against other weapons to do it. No sense winning the battle but losing the war. I don't see Ike doing it alone if that's who's on him. Pittsburgh's pressure should force some quick throws and the Cardinals have plenty of weapons that can and will move the chains in those instances. They're physical enough to jam the receivers and stay with them, and that might be enough to throw off the plays. None of the NFC defenses were that physical. Philadelphia was disappointing because I expected a better effort.

Users who are viewing this thread