What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you vote for Pete Buttigieg in 2020? (1 Viewer)

bosoxs45

Footballguy
* Obama has supported him in the past

* is openly gay

* For universal health care

* banning ar-15 guns 

* Rent Control 

* A Harvard grad, Rhodes scholar and Afghanistan war veteran, he has a sterling resume. As the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, Buttigieg also brings the heartland touch that the Democrats frequently lack.

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
He has to hope for a contested convention, which is likely given the weak showing in Iowa for Kamala Harris, who I thought might run away with it given that California moved its primary up to super Tuesday. I liked what he had to say 2 years ago when he ran to be the DNC chair.

He has to hope for a contested convention, which is likely given the weak showing in Iowa for Kamala Harris, who I thought might run away with it given that California moved its primary up to super Tuesday. I liked what he had to say 2 years ago when he ran to be the DNC chair.
Did I miss something? Did Iowa hold its caucus already?

I love this period of the election cycle when people convince themselves there have been all sorts of developments despite the fact that nothing has actually happened. Not only have you already seen enough to write off Harris, you have so much data you can already declare a contested convention "likely" despite the fact that we have never had one since the creation of the primary system. Tell me, Nostradamus, what percentage of the vote will Mayor Pete get in Nebraska's 2nd district next November?

(OK, I was being kind of a sarcastic ##### there. Didn't really mean to pick on you in particular. I actually hear stuff like this a lot from people I otherwise consider to be very smart and politically astute. I just think we deceive ourselves by creating the illusion of movement when we're really just in the political equivalent of a "Phoney War".)

To answer the OP, no, because I don't expect him to still be in the race by the time Florida holds its primary. And if he is? Then maybe.

In the primary I expect to vote for Bernie. Given what I know right now, not a lot, mostly seems good though.

You could vote via "write-in" if you support him.
I honestly have no idea what I'll do, but I generally view that as wasting my vote, so probably not.

My feeling right now is that PB is an interesting guy who's having a moment right now but ultimately is not a viable president. But I could definitely be wrong about that!

Did I miss something? Did Iowa hold its caucus already?

I love this period of the election cycle when people convince themselves there have been all sorts of developments despite the fact that nothing has actually happened. Not only have you already seen enough to write off Harris, you have so much data you can already declare a contested convention "likely" despite the fact that we have never had one since the creation of the primary system. Tell me, Nostradamus, what percentage of the vote will Mayor Pete get in Nebraska's 2nd district next November?

(OK, I was being kind of a sarcastic ##### there. Didn't really mean to pick on you in particular. I actually hear stuff like this a lot from people I otherwise consider to be very smart and politically astute. I just think we deceive ourselves by creating the illusion of movement when we're really just in the political equivalent of a "Phoney War".)
Yes, it's way to early to make predictions with high confidence. Nonetheless, I'm surprised to see both Harris and Kobluchar polling so low in Iowa. And lesser known Mayor Pete surging to 3rd place at 10% behind Biden and Bernie who are polling around 25%. After the debates in June, there may be more clarity. 

A good read on why "for the first time in a long while a contested convention is an actual if still remote possibility". Proportional delegates makes it more likely for dems than the GOP.

* Obama has supported him in the past

* is openly gay

* For universal health care

* banning ar-15 guns 

* Rent Control 

* A Harvard grad, Rhodes scholar and Afghanistan war veteran, he has a sterling resume. As the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, Buttigieg also brings the heartland touch that the Democrats frequently lack.

:popcorn:
I thought this was Rachael Maddow until I saw the South Bend mayor part. 

Yes, it's way to early to make predictions with high confidence. Nonetheless, I'm surprised to see both Harris and Kobluchar polling so low in Iowa. And lesser known Mayor Pete surging to 3rd place at 10% behind Biden and Bernie who are polling around 25%. After the debates in June, there may be more clarity. 

A good read on why "for the first time in a long while a contested convention is an actual if still remote possibility". Proportional delegates makes it more likely for dems than the GOP.
At some point the polls become meaningful (that was the major error everyone made during the 2016 GOP primary, assuming Trump's polling lead was meaningless). But I don't think we're there yet. As for a contested convention, I get your point about proportional delegates, but I still think it's vanishingly unlikely, for two major reasons: One, political conventions have become stage-managed commercials for the nominee. An actual contested one would turn into an absolute clusterfudge, so there would be a strong incentive for everyone to get behind whoever's leading after the primaries. Two, the fact that the eventual nominee will be facing an incumbent president -- and even more importantly, this incumbent president -- will add further urgency to not drag things out.

But as I keep saying, I could totally be wrong! Much like the "Pod Save America" hosts, after 2016 I gave up on the prediction business.

Don't know the Iowa machine well enough to make predictions there, but i know NH politically like nobody's bidness and i set the Bootyjudge over/under there @ 30%

ETA: He da Bootyjudge, yeah-yeah/Who a you to judge?! yeah-yeah

Last edited by a moderator:
I went from being annoyed hearing that some Mayor from Indiana was running, because I thought the field was already good and plenty deep, to him being by far my favorite candidate in just a couple of weeks. 

He's still a fairly unknown quantity so we'll see what happen once the pres starts to dig in a little bit, but so far I haven't seen anything remotely negative. If anything he's almost too good to be believed and it's hard not to be a little cynical. Like the good is so overwhelming he must be a serial killer in his spare time, when he's not learning random languages, giving piano concerts, translating for sick patients in the hospital, and curing cancer... probably. 

I am not for universal health care.  I am for universal exceedingly limited health care.

Rent control ignores fundamental laws of economics and has adverse collateral consequences when capitalist cannot achieve a return on their investment that they expect.  I'd be against that unless he has a new version of a failed social experiment.  

That said, young, intelligent, educated, dedicated to service, challenging prejudice, what's not to like generally.  Frankly he beats the hell out of what we have had running recently.  I wish him well.  I wish his supporters well.  I would celebrate, I think, his election over the likely alternatives.  I may even give him financial support and potentially my time as well.  he will not, however, get my vote as a member of either of the two main parties extant.

Dude is well spoken (is that racist?) and makes a lot of points I agree with.  I'd say he's my early favorite.  

I wonder if this country is ready for a gay president though.  

Users who are viewing this thread