What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Willie Parker (1 Viewer)

Macdaddy_2004

Footballguy
My drafts is in a couple of days and I have no doubt that this kid is going to be good behind that Steelers O-line - I see him on the upside of a RBBC with Staley (once he is healthy) and Bus getting all the TD's (except for the one's willie breaks from the 15).That being said where is he going in re-drafts now ???Is he sneaking his way into the 8th and 9th rounds ?? (10 Teamer)Curious on what Willie's ADP is

Last edited by a moderator:
In our blogger goon league (18 teams) I took him at 6.5(95th) after selecting Duce Staley at 5.14(86th)I figure it's a nice way to wait on a RB and still secure a very strong ground game.

My drafts in a couple of days and I have no doubt that this kid is going to be good behind that Steelers O-line - I see him on the upside of a RBBC with Staley (once he is healthy) and Bus getting all the TD's (except for the one's willie breaks from the 15).

That being said where is he going in re-drafts now ???

Is he sneaking his way into the 8th and 9th rounds ?? (10 Teamer)

Curious on what Willie's ADP is
got him in the 9th round of a 2 team keeper league. Bus and Staley went before him.He went undrafed in my 10 team re-draft league but I'm about to drop Moe Williams and pick him up.

I see both Staley and Bettis being hampered by injuries all season. I see them bringing back Bettis very slowly if he doesn't seem 100%, especially if Parker plays well in the first couple games. Their 1st game is at home against the titans and their 2nd is at Houston. He could be a great 2 week starter that you could sell high on in week 3.

Unless Bettis suffers a season ending injury he was too dominant last season on the goaline for Parker to be an every down back.

In our blogger goon league (18 teams) I took him at 6.5(95th) after selecting Duce Staley at 5.14(86th)

I figure it's a nice way to wait on a RB and still secure a very strong ground game.
id like to point out that you took him ahead of bettis - not saying it was a bad move at all, just letting the people out there know that its not a sure thing that you can wait until you see staley and bettis off the board if you want to nab parker.

when exactly is duce coming back?
That is a good question. He still claims he will be healthy by week 1. Cowher isn't as optomistic. I think the earliest we can expect to see Duce is week 2, the latest would be week 5 (Steelers have a week 4 bye).

That is a good question. He still claims he will be healthy by week 1. Cowher isn't as optomistic. I think the earliest we can expect to see Duce is week 2, the latest would be week 5 (Steelers have a week 4 bye).
im thinkin week 5. its just too important for the steelers have at least one of him and bettis healthy. if sitting out staley through the bye gives them a greater chance of him not reaggravating the injury, i think they'll go ahead and do it unless bettis cant come back in week 2, or parker is sucking.

im thinkin week 5. its just too important for the steelers have at least one of him and bettis healthy. if sitting out staley through the bye gives them a greater chance of him not reaggravating the injury, i think they'll go ahead and do it unless bettis cant come back in week 2, or parker is sucking.
I also think, to be honest, Cowher wants to get an extended look at Parker. Often when there's an up and comer that the coach really likes, he will sit the vet longer than the vet would like (and/or the vet is overstating his health to keep the up-and-comer off the field).

We have our draft this weekend and since we're in Pittsburgh and all but one are Steelers fans it should be interesting to see where the Steeler backs go.Taking Parker in the 4th/5th is a very big risk because he might be a 1 or 2 week start but if he does well he could very well steal the starting job for good. The Bus is going to retire next year and only wanted to be a short-yardage back this season anyway. Duce is good when he's healthy but the problem is he never is. Verron Haynes also has had his share of injury problems and it looks like the Steelers view him as a 3rd down back. It looks like a perfect opportunity for Parker...

I see Pittsburgh starting to take notice of Willie Parker as being a RB to count on for the 2005 season. Duce Staley is a question mark right now and Jerome Bettis is not 100%, nor I do I think he'll be relied upon as the Steelers every down back. I don't think Bettis will disappear, but I do see the Steelers using him sparingly. This leaves Verron Haynes and Parker to fill the void at RB.

Some Willie Parker history...

4.4 yards per carry in 2004 preseason, 2 TD

5.8 yards per carry in 2004 regular season (32 carries), including a 100-yd game vs. BUF of all teams

11 carries for 112 yards with 1 TD in 2005 preseason.

Talent + strong offensive line + opportunity = success. If Parker gets the nod, he likely won't disappoint.

I think Cowher's track record has shown that he will go with the players that give him the best chance to win, regardless of a veteran's status, injury, etc.Three recent examples come to mind:2004 Roethlisberger over Maddox2003 Riemersma over Bruener2002 Zereoue over BettisParker will have his opportunity. Now he needs to continue to produce and also prove he's durable. As poorly as the offense has played in the preseason Willie may give them the spark they need. It will be interesting to see how the cards fall.

The one thing that might keep Parker's draft position down a little is that it sounds like he's not going to play much if at all in the final preseason game this Thursday against Carolina.

I also think, to be honest, Cowher wants to get an extended look at Parker. Often when there's an up and comer that the coach really likes, he will sit the vet longer than the vet would like (and/or the vet is overstating his health to keep the up-and-comer off the field).
I don't know if the Steelers will have the luxury of resting a healthy Staley to get an extended look at Parker. There offense has yet to click, and they could very easily struggle early on. I would think Cowher would want his best players on the field if they can go...and the only concern I have about Parker is his ability to pass block. I really can't see Staley sitting for more than a week or two if he is healthy.

as a steeler fan, i am feeling that we are very fortunate right now to draw tenn and hou of the box and get a bye week early. scheduling gods smiling on us.

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/4909038/detail.html

Pittsburgh, PA -- The Pittsburgh Steelers will be without running back Jerome Bettis for at least the next two weeks due to a right calf injury he suffered in Friday's preseason loss to the Washington Redskins.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Bettis underwent an MRI on the calf on Saturday. However, the results were inconclusive because there was too much blood in the calf. He could have another MRI later in the week, but is not expected to be ready for the September 11 regular season opener against Tennessee.

With Duce Staley already sidelined with a knee injury, Pittsburgh head coach Bill Cowher will now hand the starting reins to second-year pro Willie Parker, who has notched runs of 50 yards or longer in each of his first two preseason tilts.
here we go.

I really want to like Willie Parker. Outside of possibly starting the first couple weeks as a primary back, Parker could be Staley re-visisted. Give Willie the ball, let him march it down the field, and then let Bettis punch it in the endzone.When (If) Bettis returns from his injury, I don't see him carrying any type of full load if Staley remains out at this point. I can see him being used primarily as a goal line back, which was going to be his role this year anyways until Staley was hurt.How much value will Parker have in a redraft (assuming Staley can't stay healthy) if Bettis is there to punch in the TDs like last year? Is there anyone thinking Bettis might be done for awhile?

TEN week 1@ HOU week 2NE week 3byei see willie doing well enough the first two weeks of the season to allow cowher to rest staley till after the bye week. my concerns are: (1) how much time will bettis miss, because if he's only out week 1, then he'll surely get the goalline carries and cut into willie's numbers; and (2) the whole pitt offense seems to be out of sinc...hines still doesn't have a new contract; bettis and staley are injured; bigben has underperformed in preseason; and IIRC, the first team offense has yet to score a TD (not sure about that, but could've sworn i read it somewhere).has a late round pick, willie has high reward and little risk (i.e. good value); or he just becomes a bench player that you later waive because staley is back or bettis is getting the goalline work.

more on point - where is he going?i am in a draft tonight redraft 12 teams and would love to sneak parker, but over 1/2 the league hails from pittsburgh so my guess would be he goes way too early, but you never know

Another than anecdotal evidence from people reporting in here, I don't think anyone is going to have a solid, accurate data as to an ADP for Parker if you're drafting this week. Too much has changed recently and there isn't enough of a window for a good sample size.

I think at this point you might have to take him as your 4th RB in the 8th or 9th roundI'm picking at the beginnin of the 10th round in my leauge so I'll try to sneak him at the end of the 9thStaley and Bettis are both "not sure" RB's right now and Parker may be able to run with this jobIf he busts out 50 yarders every game I don't see how Cowher sits him

He is still available in my 12 team league on waivers!!!!Do you guys on here think it's worth picking him up is I already have Portis J. Lewis Dunn T. Henry and Thomas Jones? And I don't have Staley or Bettis.I would probably have to drop Kevin Curtis in order to pick him up though.

i would say you have to pull the trigger on parker around pick 100-120 to assured of getting him now.

I think the more important question is what are you willing to pay for him (assuming you are hell bent on taking him). I think 10th round sounds about right in a 10 team league.

Any thoughts on WP's dynasty value at this point?
I was offered Housh for him in one dynasty league (RB-heavy format). I turned it down.It's really hard to say with this guy--he could be the next Dom Davis, he could be the next Cedric Cobbs.

I like the fact that his teammates seem to like him, and Cowher seems to have some faith in him. And of course he has delivered on all of his (limited) opportunities.

At this point, I would be holding onto him, unless you get an unusually good offer.

I could easily seeing this end up being a case where all Sharks actually overeact to a situation and get burned when they think they are being smart. If you can take a flier on the kid real late in the draft then go for it. But with all this hype and people getting "antsy" to be the guy to nab the "secret killer", he is going to be picked too early. I just don't see the value if you are taking him before the 12th round because in all likelihood by WEEK 3 his day in the sun will be over. In the 8th-10th rounds there will still be very good players out there that are assured of more than 1 or 2 games.

I could easily seeing this end up being a case where all Sharks actually overeact to a situation and get burned when they think they are being smart. If you can take a flier on the kid real late in the draft then go for it. But with all this hype and people getting "antsy" to be the guy to nab the "secret killer", he is going to be picked too early. I just don't see the value if you are taking him before the 12th round because in all likelihood by WEEK 3 his day in the sun will be over. In the 8th-10th rounds there will still be very good players out there that are assured of more than 1 or 2 games.
:goodposting: I drank the parker koolaid but just as a FA move in a deep league.

I took him 28th overall yesterday in a dynasty rookie/free agent draft. As soon as I took him, there were a lot of groans from folks with the next few picks as they had been eyeballing him in the next few spots.

I took him 28th overall yesterday in a dynasty rookie/free agent draft. As soon as I took him, there were a lot of groans from folks with the next few picks as they had been eyeballing him in the next few spots.
in rookie terms, i would say he's around pearman/morency level. i would still take barber and fason over him.

in rookie terms, i would say he's around pearman/morency level. i would still take barber and fason over him.
It depends on if you need RB help early in the season. If you aren't going to start him this year then it's too early to take him and you'd be better off taking a guy with better long-term prospects (I don't think Parker is the type of RB the Steelers ideally want as their starter).

I think now that hes been named starter, he'll go sooner than even in drafts that were this weekend. its on the front page of the websites now.I think you could have gotten him in the 10th+ but now youll have to get him in the 7th or 8th. Im trying to draft him and staley and letting bettis go.

That opinion will change, once I start him against you and your team loses miserably because of his stellar first outing.HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO! :towelwave:

My league, RB heavy, 10 teams, 17 picks, no one drafted him yesterday.Not sure if I should keep Ricky Williams as sleeper RB, or pick up Parker.My only concern is that his value is diminished if and when Bettis and Staley get back. I prefer clear cut starting RB than RBBC.

lots of Steelers here - so is it pretty authoritative that the team prefers Parker over Haynes (assuming both Staley and Bettis can't go in a given week?)

c'mon Bloom! pearman/morency have shown none of the skills WP has. in fact they aren't even the primary back ups. i think it is very clear that WP has moved at least into the primary back up role with the steelers with the upside of unseating the injured staley.as far as barber, i like his upside, but he hasn't exactly shown he can get the job done in dallas. he's missed blocks, fumbled and dropped passes and is possibly behind the kid from DII (forget his name).

as far as fason, who i think can succeed, i'd rather have the 3rd string RB playing for skelator than the 3rd stringer in Lurch's offense. no way fason gets in there as long as bennett and moore can still limp to the game.

the reason i would put him ahead of fason, barber, pearman and morency is b/c he has shown he has potential and he is going to get his chance. you can't say any of those other guys are going to get their chance this year, next or ever.

i agree with most of the above sentiment that we will see about WP real soon cause he will get his chance, and if he takes over we won't be talking about him being drafted in the 100s anymore.

-orphan

lots of Steelers here - so is it pretty authoritative that the team prefers Parker over Haynes (assuming both Staley and Bettis can't go in a given week?)
I'd say so. During Friday nights' game Cowher pulled Parker in the second half because (paraphrased), "he's our only healthy runningback."Parker is very explosive and much better than Haynes IMO.

i seen him play and liked what i saw but he looked a little small to me, does anyone know how big he is? mewelde moore size maybe?

c'mon Bloom! pearman/morency have shown none of the skills WP has. in fact they aren't even the primary back ups. i think it is very clear that WP has moved at least into the primary back up role with the steelers with the upside of unseating the injured staley.as far as barber, i like his upside, but he hasn't exactly shown he can get the job done in dallas. he's missed blocks, fumbled and dropped passes and is possibly behind the kid from DII (forget his name).

as far as fason, who i think can succeed, i'd rather have the 3rd string RB playing for skelator than the 3rd stringer in Lurch's offense. no way fason gets in there as long as bennett and moore can still limp to the game.

the reason i would put him ahead of fason, barber, pearman and morency is b/c he has shown he has potential and he is going to get his chance. you can't say any of those other guys are going to get their chance this year, next or ever.

i agree with most of the above sentiment that we will see about WP real soon cause he will get his chance, and if he takes over we won't be talking about him being drafted in the 100s anymore.

-orphan
On skills:Parker has shown the "skill" of being unbelievably fast, and had a solid game vs. buffalo last year based on one long run and a lot of short ones, but he is still somewhat raw in natural RB skills. He does still have to learn to run well inside and set up his blocks. Pearman, on the other hand, is a very solid all-around RB who has shown good production with his burst, cutting, and ability to get small going through the hole, not to mention he is an EXCELLENT receiver and solid return man. He will at worst be a career backup that gets starts here and there when the starter goes down. He could also be another mewelde moore/dom davis. Morency has shown very very good cutting ability and a general ability to be a ball control RB that can take over a game. Morency's upside is limited by the long term presence of DDavis, but I still think he can play himself into an RBBC if dom continues to get dinged up and not create much after the first contact. As far as Barber goes, I just think his running style (low pad level, determined, good speed for a guy who can absorb some contact too) is going to serve him very well in this league and he'll eventually succeed.

On Situation:

Morency and Pearman have both outplayed their competitors to be the primary backup and should settle into the role by midseason, if not by week 1. Hollings and Toefield have been given their chances and never cashed in on them - both have to be close to losing out to the rooks. Additionally, Parker is NOT the primary backup. he is the #3. now, there might not be much time that both staley and bettis play, but that is the reality of his situation. He could be such a worldbeater that he takes the job... but he could also run up the backs of his lineman like he did on most of his carries vs. buffalo. Staley is solid, i dont know how they keep him out if he can actually go. Fason will be one of only 2 RBs under contract in minnesota next year depending on the draft. that's why i value him highly - for next year, not this.

I agree with your point about FWP's opportunity greatly enhancing his value, but i still like the natural RB skills and long term opportunity of fason and barber better, and think pearman and morency have just as much chance as succeeding down the line as parker does.

Users who are viewing this thread