What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Willis McGahee released by Broncos (1 Viewer)

I just figured where Coach Fox is so big on veterans being a big part of the offense they would keep McGahee for just one more year.

I'm bumping Moreno. When he came back from injury last year and was given the starting job, he flourished and I'm sure won many teams championships. Or at least provided a strong push. Ball is solid, but Moreno was a stud before, got hurt, now seems to be fully recovered and looking good.

Very interested to see how this plays out over the next couple months.

2009: 1100+ total yards; 9TD's, 3.8 YPC

2010: 1100+ total yards; 8TD's, 4.3 YPC

2011: Injured.

2012: on pace for 1300+ yards; 8TD's, 3.8 YPC

He's not a world beater, but RB's on Manning's team usually put up mid-high range RB2 numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the end of McGahee's career? Or will he catch on with another team? I personally would rather have him than say Beanie Wells, Brandon Jacobs or Cedric Benson right now.

Interesting that this happened after Moreno started doing more running in practice. May have more to do with that than any love for Ball.

I'm bumping Moreno. When he came back from injury last year and was given the starting job, he flourished and I'm sure won many teams championships. Or at least provided a strong push. Ball is solid, but Moreno was a stud before, got hurt, now seems to be fully recovered and looking good.

He's not a world beater, but RB's on Manning's team usually put up mid-high range RB2 numbers.
Sorry, but at no time in his career has KnoShow ever been a stud.

I just figured where Coach Fox is so big on veterans being a big part of the offense they would keep McGahee for just one more year.
The writing was on the wall for McGahee. Too old (only Fred Jackson is older), and too expensive (Denver saves about $2.5 mil in cash and $2 mil in cap space by letting McGahee go). Unlike Bloom, I think this is a great sign for Ball. I expected McGahee to get cut, but if he didn't, he was guaranteed to get the lion's share of the workload. With McGahee out of the way, all Ball has to do is beat out Hillman (who coaching staff has said they like more as a CoP) and Moreno (who coaching staff has never liked and only used when forced to by injuries). His odds of getting 200-250 carries are higher today than they were yesterday.

I agree that Moreno seems to be overlooked, and that he could provide some value in a Manning-led offense (given the opportunities), but when was he ever a "stud?" At least, in the NFL?

Is this the end of McGahee's career? Or will he catch on with another team? I personally would rather have him than say Beanie Wells, Brandon Jacobs or Cedric Benson right now.
As a Steelers fan, if his knee is okay I'd rather see him on the team than Redman or Dwyer(especially Dwyer).

Pretty big if though.

Unless he has already improved his pass blocking a ton, I don't see this doing much for Hillman. He has dynamic burst, but you can't pass block as poorly as he does and play a lot in a Manning-led offense.

The only reason Hillman is taking the most 1st team snaps is that McGahee wasn't in camp and Knowshon has been held out of active work right now. When the season opens you can trust that both Fox and Manning (regardless of what they are saying now) will have Knowshon protecting Manning and the ball. In a boom or bust season they aren't starting Hillman who isn't good at passpro, or a rookie like Ball. By end of the season or if Knowshon is hurt then maybe they will be forced to trust Ball. But I sincerely doubt it will happen on game one. Hillman is no more than a cop back. Ball is a rookie. Fox is the coach. Manning is the QB. Thats all you need to know about Denvers backfeild.

Interesting that this happened after Moreno started doing more running in practice. May have more to do with that than any love for Ball.
well we pretty much knew the donkeys would not keep both Willis and Knowshon.
Yeah, but I expected the decision to be made later in the summer. The timing of Knowshon starts running -> McGahee gets cut, makes me more interested in Moreno.

The only reason Hillman is taking the most 1st team snaps is that McGahee wasn't in camp and Knowshon has been held out of active work right now. When the season opens you can trust that both Fox and Manning (regardless of what they are saying now) will have Knowshon protecting Manning and the ball. In a boom or bust season they aren't starting Hillman who isn't good at passpro, or a rookie like Ball. By end of the season or if Knowshon is hurt then maybe they will be forced to trust Ball. But I sincerely doubt it will happen on game one. Hillman is no more than a cop back. Ball is a rookie. Fox is the coach. Manning is the QB. Thats all you need to know about Denvers backfeild.
Until I see otherwise I think this is the smartest position right now.

The writing was on the wall for McGahee. Too old (only Fred Jackson is older), and too expensive (Denver saves about $2.5 mil in cash and $2 mil in cap space by letting McGahee go).Unlike Bloom, I think this is a great sign for Ball. I expected McGahee to get cut, but if he didn't, he was guaranteed to get the lion's share of the workload. With McGahee out of the way, all Ball has to do is beat out Hillman (who coaching staff has said they like more as a CoP) and Moreno (who coaching staff has never liked and only used when forced to by injuries). His odds of getting 200-250 carries are higher today than they were yesterday.
The increase we are speaking of is negligible. Yesterday everyone knew one of the guys was going to get cut. Yesterday everyone knew it was probably going to be McGahee. As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing to see here. :tumbleweed: Not sure this was worth starting a new topic for.

I'm bumping Moreno. When he came back from injury last year and was given the starting job, he flourished
He flourished with a 3.8 ypc ?
No, his pass pro. Something Hillman did not do well and Ball has never done.

This is why the market is sleeping on Moreno. He will need to be beaten for his role, if healthy. The Broncos want Hillman and Ball to be the guys, but they have to earn it first.

I'm bumping Moreno. When he came back from injury last year and was given the starting job, he flourished
He flourished with a 3.8 ypc ?
No, his pass pro. Something Hillman did not do well and Ball has never done.

This is why the market is sleeping on Moreno. He will need to be beaten for his role, if healthy. The Broncos want Hillman and Ball to be the guys, but they have to earn it first.
Moreno is a pretty good pass catcher too

We all know Fox's MO, this isnt rocket science, although I suspect Ball will get some work. I think Ball will be lucky to see Jon Stewarts rookie numbers. Stew got 180 carries, Ill take the under for Ball

Moreno's health is an issue though, always has been

Moreno = Joseph Addai -- completely pedestrian with the ball in his hands, but utterly reliable as a pass blocker and able to keep up fully with Manning's play calling at the LOS. Ball and Hillman are both likely far more dynamic than is Moreno, but neither one will be on the field much until the master the playbook completely and can be counted on to pick up the right blitzer on a Manning audible. When that happens is anyone's guess, but right now I like Moreno as a late pick more than Ball as a early investment. NFL pass-pro and hot route schemes are complex, and made much moreso when the QB is changing or calling plays at the last second most of the time.

Where will Willis McGahee go after release by Broncos?

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Veteran running backs coming off serious injuries usually get released, even if they have a big name. That's why the release of Willis McGahee by the Denver Broncos on Thursday was not a shock.

But unlike most veteran backs, we believe McGahee should find work before the season. Here are some logical landing spots:

Dallas Cowboys: Owner Jerry Jones made it an offseason priority to upgrade the team's backup running back, and then he never made an upgrade. The team already is dealing with multiple injuries at the position, including rookie backup Joseph Randle. McGahee to Dallas is easy to imagine.

New York Giants: The Giants are one of the rare teams that value the power running game and don't mind veteran backs. McGahee has three-down skills not dissimilar to former Giant Ahmad Bradshaw, and the depth chart is thin after David Wilson.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: It is a steep cliff after Doug Martin to Brian Leonard on the team's running back depth chart.

Oakland Raiders: The team needs running back depth, and McGahee was with Raiders coach Dennis Allen in Denver.

Jacksonville Jaguars: The depth chart is wildly thin after Maurice Jones-Drew, and the team showed they are in the market for a veteran back when they kicked the tires on Beanie Wells.

Miami Dolphins: McGahee certainly would love to sign with his hometown team. The Dolphins have not been shy about bringing in veterans this year, but a union here is unlikely unless Miami is truly ready to give up on Daniel Thomas, even as a backup to Lamar Miller.

San Diego Chargers: McGahee's former Broncos coordinator Mike McCoy is there. But it's a long shot because they already have veteran backups in Danny Woodhead and Ronnie Brown.

Top of the marketIt's not easy for veteran running backs to find jobs, but McGahee's three-down skills and toughness should help him find a gig even coming off an injury. I'd place McGahee at the top of a market that also includes Wells, Michael Turner, Cedric Benson, Tim Hightower and Brandon Jacobs.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

You're foolish if you don't start bumping up Ball for 2013. This time of year we still have a lot of dynasty caps on our heads but Ball IMO is clearly going to have the best rookie season of anyone at the RB spot. Bernard splits with BJGE or at least is going to be pulled for short yardage and goal line work. Green Bay is anyone's guess but it would appear like a possible split between Lacy and Franklin.

Keep moving Ball up the charts. About the Lamar Miller area I would be penciling in Ball. He is probably going to go in the 3rd-5th round depending on your league. Unless the Broncos come out and say Moreno is the lead back, Ball will split time with him, something like that.

I think Ball will split time for the 1st 4-5 games but as the season wears on I think the rookie will show he can handle it all if need be. I would love to see him make it impossible for Denver to not keep him on the field.

Still a lot of time between now and the season but step 1:McGahee released, that's done so what else has to happen for Ball to be the lead guy? Hillman is strictly going to be a COP back, I hope we don't see a large camp of Hillman supporters.

I have Ball slated at about RB20 right now but I think he has a chance to crack the top 12-15 if he is used frequently. Notice I have not once mentioned Ball's talent, I vote with Adam(staff), BostonFred, this is about situation for now, we'll see what true talent he has when he plays but the situation in Denver cannot be ignored especially with the array of weapons thru the air. No one is going to game plan to stop the run. Also, Denver has built a top 5 OL in my opinion and there could be some holes the size of the Grand Canyon for Ball to run thru as defenses play the pass almost every down. The first time a defense pinches up to try and stop the run, Manning will make them pay.

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom2m
so moreno is the one that survives. ball's overinflated ADP sure to rise even more RT @AdamSchefter: Broncos released RB Willis McGahee.
Dear Sigmund, you're too good to keep doing this. Just pick up a Montee Ball t-shirt and come sit by me, it's still early and you can just accept the fact he is on a talent rich team and no one is going to game plan against him. A strong OL in front of him, rocket arm QB that dissects defenses on the fly, what's not to like? Plenty of room on this bus Sig, jump on.

Any chance Willis resigns with the Broncos?

If not, good for him that the Broncos let him go NOW so he can sign with another team.

Still has some tread.

A lot of talk about Broncos RB's here. But very little talk about where McGahee will land. I was thinking the Colts should have waited a few days longer. I know McGahee is older than Bradshaw, but for the 2013 season, I would rather have McGahee right now.

Beyond that, do you think McGahee ends up in Jacksonville?

McGahee will be signed by the New York Jets

Place your bets folks, just was the first team that popped into my head. Ryan is familiar with him.

Forget Moreno, people.

It's Ball, with Hillman the CoP, and Moreno for scraps / injury insurance.

The McGahee release has been just about a given for awhile, and no one s/b surprised. The signs have been there.

I'll gamble on Moreno in the 9th/10th over Ball in the 3rd. I'd say it's about 65/35 odds in favor of Ball to get the bulk but due to his high ADP the flyer on Moreno is a lot better bet.

Cecil Lammey@cecillammey1m
Training camp will give us clarity at RB. Pads come on & Ball gets to prove himself, until then it's Hillman w/1s most of the time (75/25)
:rollseyes:

Totally taking what Cecil says with a grain of salt
Hillman has been getting a majority of first-team reps this offseason. It's about a 75/25 split with Montee Ball at this time. go ahead and :rollseyes: over my tweet but I'm not the only one to report that.

Ball has not had any 'wow' carries at minicamp. However, I fully expect that to change when the shoulder pads come on and we get to see contact in training camp and the preseason.

Adam Gase has told me the team will use inside/outside zone for balance in the ground game. Elway said Hillman is change of pace before the draft, Fox told me he feels Hillman is capable of being a full time back at the Combine (these are both quotes from official website).

I like Ball around RB25, largely because of his nose for the end zone. From minicamp observations he's clearly going to be used heavily there. If/when he wins the starting job we're still going to see a RBBC. The team wants 'Thunder and Lightning' with Ball and Hillman as their top two backs.

Training camp will give us more clarity. As of right now Ball is not cutting into Hillman's first-team reps that much.

Users who are viewing this thread