What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Winborn Dealt to Jaguars (1 Viewer)

Twilight

Footballguy
ESPN article
Niners to trade linebacker Winborn to JacksonvilleBy Len PasquarelliESPN.comThe San Francisco 49ers on Thursday agreed to a trade that will send former starting linebacker Jamie Winborn, estranged from the team for the past week, to the Jacksonville Jaguars, ESPN.com confirmed.The deal is contingent upon Winborn, 26, passing a physical examination. The fifth-year veteran arrived in Jacksonville late Thursday night and the physical will be administered on Friday morning. Terms of the trade were not yet available, but it is believed the 49ers will receive a 2006 draft choice. "It's exciting," Winborn said when reached on his cell phone. "It's a new start for me." If the trade is completed -- and, while Winborn has suffered injury problems in the past, he is expected to pass the examination -- it will end a strange chapter in the career of the former Vanderbilt star. Winborn has suffered a series of injuries that slowed his advancement at times. The most serious was a neck injury in 2003. There have also been knee and shoulder injuries. It is likely that the neck injury will receive the most scrutiny from Jacksonville team doctors. San Francisco first-year head coach Mike Nolan last week told Winborn to clean out his locker and leave the team, and then announced that the 49ers would attempt to trade him. The decision came after Winborn, who started the first two games of the season, was demoted in favor of Andre Carter, a one-time first-round defensive end who was moved to linebacker in Nolan's new 3-4 alignment. Nolan acknowledged that, while Winborn told him he did not feel he was a backup, there was no verbal confrontation. Neither did Winborn, both Nolan and the player said, ask to be traded. Apparently the decision to deal Winborn was made by Nolan because he felt it would be in the best interest of both parties. Late last week, Nolan said there were four teams that had indicated interest in a trade but Jacksonville, at least at the time, was not believed to be one of those franchises. One of the teams that pursued a deal is Seattle, and it is believed that New Orleans also showed some interest. A second-round choice in the 2001 draft, Winborn has appeared in 43 games, mostly as a weakside linebacker in a 4-3 defense. He has 258 tackles, 8 ½ sacks, three interceptions, four forced fumbles, three recoveries and 16 passes defensed. A versatile defender, he had his best season in 2004, registering 104 tackles and 4 ½ sacks. In his three games in 2005, Winborn had 13 tackles. While it is believed that some adjustments were made to his contract to accommodate the trade, Winborn, who was paid by the 49ers even during his absence from the team, will earn the full $1.75 million he is due for this season. Under terms of the contract, Winborn is signed through 2009, at base salaries of $3 million for each of the next four years. That is only a formality, though, since Winborn has already reached performance levels that allow him to void the final four years of the contract and to become an unrestricted free agent next spring.

Ooops. I just posted the shorter version. Here's what I'm wondering. The Jags have not been completely pleased with Daryl Smith and their pass rush (or their pass coverage). That's alot to worry about for such a solid defense. Smith seems to be catching on-- just had an 8 solo performance but many of those tackles were a little too far down the field. Denver ran all over Jax. Winborn is capable of playing weak side or strongside. So Jax has Daryl Smith on the weakside, Peterson in the middle and Ayodele on the strong side. Winborn has made it clear that he is a starter, and I'm sure Del Rio understood the problem with Nolan demoting him. A healthy Winborn is a terrific talent. 250 pounds and he is easily now the Jags fastest LB. Put him on the weak side and bench Smith?Put him on the strong side and move Ayodele back to End where he can help the pass rush? Anybody have a better feel for this?

Ooops. I just posted the shorter version. Here's what I'm wondering. The Jags have not been completely pleased with Daryl Smith and their pass rush (or their pass coverage). That's alot to worry about for such a solid defense. Smith seems to be catching on-- just had an 8 solo performance but many of those tackles were a little too far down the field. Denver ran all over Jax.

Winborn is capable of playing weak side or strongside. So Jax has Daryl Smith on the weakside, Peterson in the middle and Ayodele on the strong side. Winborn has made it clear that he is a starter, and I'm sure Del Rio understood the problem with Nolan demoting him. A healthy Winborn is a terrific talent. 250 pounds and he is easily now the Jags fastest LB.

Put him on the weak side and bench Smith?

Put him on the strong side and move Ayodele back to End where he can help the pass rush?

Anybody have a better feel for this?
I think he will play alot, but where is a guess. Ayodele, who the Jags wanted to replace, was a RFA this past offseason, and the Jags tendered him at the league minimum-$656,000. His stats say he has played better this season, but stats don't mean squat. Smith was an inside backer in college, and may not be big enough to handle the slb job. My guess is Winborn at the very least will be in on 3rd downs rushing the passer.

The Jags overall have been happier with Smith than Ayodele. This is Ayodele's last year contract-wise. I think Akin is going to be the odd man out.

He passed the physical.

Winborn deal done

10/7/05

By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com Senior Editor

Jamie Winborn has passed his physical examination and the Jaguars have completed a trade with the San Francisco 49ers for the veteran linebacker. Winborn was acquired for an undisclosed future draft choice.

“He's been a starter for most of his career. They converted to a 3-4 defense and he's more of a 4-3 linebacker. He became available,” Jaguars personnel boss James Harris said of what led to the trade.

Winborn had lost his starting job to Andre Carter, a first-round pick in 2001 who was moved from defensive end to linebacker this season by rookie head coach Mike Nolan. Harris and Nolan know each other from their days together in Baltimore.

“I spoke to Mike and he said there was no problem between him and Winborn. He said he just didn't think Winborn was a 3-4 linebacker,” Harris said.

The 49ers' other outside linebacker is Julian Peterson.

Winborn is expected to fit at weakside linebacker for the Jaguars. Akin Ayodele is currently the starter at that position.

“It was an opportunity to get a veteran linebacker with starting experience. The plan is for him to compete,” Harris said.

Winborn, from Vanderbilt, was a second-round pick by the 49ers in 2001. He had his best season last year when he started 10 games, made 4.5 sacks and an interception and forced three fumbles.
LinkEdit - I thought Ayodele was the SLB?

Last edited by a moderator:
He passed the physical.

Winborn deal done

10/7/05

By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com Senior Editor

Jamie Winborn has passed his physical examination and the Jaguars have completed a trade with the San Francisco 49ers for the veteran linebacker. Winborn was acquired for an undisclosed future draft choice.

“He's been a starter for most of his career. They converted to a 3-4 defense and he's more of a 4-3 linebacker. He became available,” Jaguars personnel boss James Harris said of what led to the trade.

Winborn had lost his starting job to Andre Carter, a first-round pick in 2001 who was moved from defensive end to linebacker this season by rookie head coach Mike Nolan. Harris and Nolan know each other from their days together in Baltimore.

“I spoke to Mike and he said there was no problem between him and Winborn. He said he just didn't think Winborn was a 3-4 linebacker,” Harris said.

The 49ers' other outside linebacker is Julian Peterson.

Winborn is expected to fit at weakside linebacker for the Jaguars. Akin Ayodele is currently the starter at that position.

“It was an opportunity to get a veteran linebacker with starting experience. The plan is for him to compete,” Harris said.

Winborn, from Vanderbilt, was a second-round pick by the 49ers in 2001. He had his best season last year when he started 10 games, made 4.5 sacks and an interception and forced three fumbles.
LinkEdit - I thought Ayodele was the SLB?
Ayodele is the SLB. That article is wrong.

There was speculation early this yr (after the NFL draft during Mini-camp activity IIRC) that Jax tried to make a deal for a DE to upgrade since H Douglas was released. They considered moving Ayodele to DE (and have him add a few pounds). The idea hinged on Mike Peterson going SLB and Daryl Smith to MLB but they did not know who would take WLB role (Gordova?)This was not received well on these boards by some, but it does have some credibility with the acquisition of Winbourn.Ayodele might have decent #'s, but he is also giving up too much.Edit to add question: Is Winbourn that fast? I thought Daryl Smith was considered to be a fast LB....??? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread